Alert: Honduras vs USA 10/10 on Pay Per View?

Discussion in 'USA Men: News & Analysis' started by GOREVS3000, Sep 11, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. GOREVS3000

GOREVS3000 Moderator
    Staff Member

New England Revolution
    United States
    Sep 18, 2006
    Boston
    Club:
    2 de Mayo
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    From the Soccer Insider:

Sweet.

Good thing I am going to the game and not putting up with this sketchy nonsense.

2. Beautiful Game 2010

Jul 11, 2006
    Western Hemisphere
    Nat'l Team:
    --other--
    WTF. FIFA really needs to put an end to this in the future (it should have been done already). I mean no PPV World Cup Soccer allowed (qualifiers included). How can FIFA expect to grow the game in countries like the USA if they let this happen. FIFA needs to learn the lesson from boxing. Do not let a few greedy people make a profit at the expense of the sport.

3. chad

chad Member+

Jun 24, 1999
    Manhattan Beach
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I'm having a flashback to 2001, not 1979.

4. RolexEmbezzled

RolexEmbezzled New Member

May 30, 2009
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Well, this sucks. And there's nothing we can do about it.

5. FW__

FW__ Member+

Jun 23, 2006
    Chattanooga, TN
    Club:
    Manchester City FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I love how we can get a freakin game from Cuba (on ESPN) and not one in Honduras:mad:

6. NCCFBALL

NCCFBALL Member+

Apr 19, 2007
    ITALY
    Club:
    CD Chivas de Guadalajara
    Nat'l Team:
    Mexico
    That would be the english broadcast, correct? Because i'm pretty sure that Univision has the spanish broadcast rights to the US Qualifiers, I'm pretty sure one of the Univision channels (telefutura, galavision, univision) will have the game in spanish.

7. SamsArmySam

SamsArmySam Member+

Apr 13, 2001
    Minneapolis, MN
    Agree. And I also agree that FIFA needs to do something about it. USSF should be able to control the rights to the US broadcast of a game the US team plays in. It seems sort of fundamental to the USSF's ability to do its job.

I recognize there is a need to spread some of the wealth around that US advertisers generate on a US broadcast. But there has to be a more effective mechanism than letting the Honduran FA decide who gets to buy the US rights.

8. SamsArmySam

SamsArmySam Member+

Apr 13, 2001
    Minneapolis, MN
    That is a very good question for Goff.

9. Asprilla9

Asprilla9 Member

Dec 15, 2000
    Beaverton, OR
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    looks like it was both the english and spanish rights, at least initially.

so unless they re-sold the spanish rights and NOT the english rights, we're looking at guaranteed PPV.

10. Sam Hamwich

Sam Hamwich Member+

Jul 11, 2006
    I love the internet. If this turns out to be true, it's easy enough buy the feed and stream it for everyone.

11. Adam Zebrowski

Adam Zebrowski New Member

May 28, 1999
    2001 usa win at san pedro sula was on ppv too...

let the hondurans make money off the match, it's the good capitalistic way...

posters are simply griping because they gotta pay...

shell out the 20 bucks....

12. dsp87260

dsp87260 New Member

Mar 19, 2005
    You probably understand this and are just posting about how you think it should be, but just in case...and for the benefit of others who don't know/understand...

The home team's federation controls all broadcast rights to the game that is played. They can sell to whomever they want, anywhere they want. US broadcasters have to go buy the rights to broadcast the game from the Honduran fed, just as Honduran broadcasters would have to buy the rights to a US home match from the USSF. That seems to be the standard practice throughout the world.

It just sucks for us that Honduras either deliberately screwed us or this PPV outfit was quicker to go make a deal than ESPN/etc. were.

As an aside, and something that was mentioned in the long thread about the mun2 situation IIRC, the TV rights issue is one reason why we don't have USA vs Mexico friendlies in Mexico...the stand-off between Univision and Telemundo over who would air the game in the US. (Univision has an exclusive Spanish language deal with the USSF and Telemundo has an exclusive Spanish language deal with the Mexican fed.)

13. JcUSA

JcUSA New Member

Jul 26, 2003
    Boca Raton, Fl
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I was already going to be in a pickle because I had tickets bought for me to go to a Tampa Bay Lightning game. ( Gonna be in Tampa for the U2 concert that Fri night). I was expecting the game to be at 10ET because it is 2 hours behing East coast time but I am seeing 8ET game time. So I been freaking out about missing the possible USA's clinching game ( I know no way we win right) but now this!?!?!? You gotta be kidding me. This sucks. There has to be a better way. I like some of the suggestions. USSF should have a say in the matter or at least get involved.

14. Sandon Mibut

Sandon Mibut Member+

Feb 13, 2001
    US qualifier @El Salvador in 04 was also on PPV. (Anyone remember the annoucers constantly thanking, like, Pedro and Miguel or whomever it was for helping bring us the game?)

Am I thrilled about paying 20 beans to watch the game? No.

But it's only 20 bucks. I think I can afford it.

Under the current rules, I don't blame the Hondurans from selling the game to the highest bidder. It would be bad business to take less money.

But...

...I think FIFA (or CONCACAF, depending on who's rule it is) needs to change the rules so that the visiting team holds the rights to selling the broadcast in their home country.

A team - and its fans - should have every expectation to arrange a broadcast for its qualifiers and not be beholden to the business interests of the home team and/or any third party.

15. SJB

SJB BigSoccer Supporter

Feb 8, 2001
    Depends, if its PPV on satellite/cable, I'll kick and scream and whine like a baby then pony up the $s to watch it in my living room.

If it only made available to Bars and public viewing locations then I'll kick and scream, and 'listen' to the game on match tracker. Not going to spend the extra bucks to get a sitter, drive to/from a bar, deal with general 'barness' (smoke, drunks, no sound, ect). Of course, if this happens the US will win and clinch a trip to SA while I'm not watching, just to spite me. Reality is that way with me.

16. Mick7184

Mick7184 New Member

Jan 21, 2007
    Franklin, Mass
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I love how Australian league games, Slovaka-Northern Ireland WC qualifiers, and tons of South American club games are available for free in this country(if you consider FSC free) but not our country's most crucial WC qualifier. I am not paying money to see this qualifier, on principle, the more money that the Honduran FA gets off this match, the more likely it is we will see more of this.

17. Wayne-o

Wayne-o New Member

Jul 12, 2009
    Wilmo, Del
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Just bought my airfare. No TV viewing this time for me, but I feel for you all.

18. Deep Wilcox

Deep Wilcox BigSoccer Supporter

Jun 5, 2007
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    That godamm commie Castro will stop at nothing! He's a damn menace, I say... we need an embargo! Showing games on free TV and all, godamm commies!

19. Wayne-o

Wayne-o New Member

Jul 12, 2009
    Wilmo, Del
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

:D :rolleyes: :D

20. CuscatlecoAzul

Jun 9, 2009
    Bay AREA
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    El Salvador
    You sure is not on Telefutura(belongs to Univison) they always have the US games on there, thay have televised all of the games in this Hex. its a local channel in most markets, I'm sure you can get it on Dish or any other sat company

21. Cannons

Cannons Member+

May 16, 2005
    Based on how we've looked lately, they'll lose money if it's more than $5.

I'll bank on free internet feeds if need be. Shelling out money will only insure that it will happen more in the future

22. Non-dairy Creamer

Feb 28, 2007
    nobody pay for it, just stream it, I love the interwebs.

23. Donofan_10

Donofan_10 Red Card

Aug 20, 2009
    Club:
    FC Tampa Bay Rowdies
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    this is bullshit

24. blacksun

blacksun Member+

Mar 30, 2006
    Seoul, Korea
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Um, did you not read the thread? ALL broadcast rights to the game belong to the Honduran Fed, who sold the rights to broadcast in the US (both English and Spanish) to a pay-per-view provider. If Telefutura shows it, it is because they bought the rigths from the pay-per-view company.

25. appoo

appoo Member+

Jul 30, 2001
    USA
    considering Hondurus' home form and USA's road form...I may not want to watch this regardless :eek: