Honduras vs. Guatemala June 6, 2011

Discussion in 'Gold Cup' started by aguimarães, May 28, 2011.

1. phoenixhazard

phoenixhazard Member+

Oct 26, 2010
    Seattle, WA
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Glad to see the high officiating standards of the MLS have leaked into the Gold Cup

2. aramada

aramada Member

Sep 5, 2007
    Washington DC
    Club:
    CA San Lorenzo de Almagro
    Nat'l Team:
    Guatemala
    and now henry medina handed a second yellow card, guatemala down to 9 men.

this is extremely disappointing. after such a solid first half, and in so much more than holding honduras scoreless but really being the intimidators, guate is down to 9 men. 10 minutes left not taking stoppage time into account, hopefully a tie can be salvaged.

3. phoenixhazard

phoenixhazard Member+

Oct 26, 2010
    Seattle, WA
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    LOL!

As Pappa was being subbed out, the commentator says: "WHO'S YOUR PAPPA!?"

4. VincentVega

VincentVega Member

May 11, 2011
    San Diego, CA
    Club:
    CD Chivas de Guadalajara
    Nat'l Team:
    Mexico
    Damn. Honduras sucks balls.

5. phoenixhazard

phoenixhazard Member+

Oct 26, 2010
    Seattle, WA
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Ruiz is such a diving piece of *****
    I really really hate that guy, shouldve gotten a yellow for that disgraceful dive.

Honduras is doing so well but they can't FINISH!

6. aramada

aramada Member

Sep 5, 2007
    Washington DC
    Club:
    CA San Lorenzo de Almagro
    Nat'l Team:
    Guatemala
    yes, he has always been a diver, and i've always been ashamed of it because of how bad it made guatemala look. but you know what? for once, i was encouraging it and hoping he milked every single second of it. we clearly outplayed honduras, at least up until that first red card, and then went into shell mode and had to withstand the flurry that we knew was coming, ESPECIALLY once that second red was handed out.

never before have i been so happy for a tie. well played guate

7. nlsanand

nlsanand Member+

May 31, 2007
    Toronto
    Club:
    Toronto FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Canada
    Congrats to Guat on a well deserved point (probably enough to see them through)

8. aguimarães

aguimarães Member

Apr 19, 2006
    Club:
    LD Alajuelense
    [ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q6HH12bDSZY"]Honduras Vs Guatemala 0-0 " Full Highlights " Resumen 6-6-11[/ame]

9. LongDuckDong

LongDuckDong Member+

Jan 26, 2011
    Club:
    FC Schalke 04
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    For once in my life, I actually supported all the diving and time wasting. Guatemala deserved it. The ref totally screwed them over and it would have been shame if Honduras had won after that terrible performance.

10. HomietheClown

HomietheClown Member+

Dusselheim FC 1971
    Sep 4, 2010
    Club:
    --other--
    Great point for Guatemala. They have a chance to finish first or second now if they can find a way to beat Jamaica in Miami.

Who would have thought that the most exciting match so far would be a 0-0 tie.

:p

11. Catracho_Azul

Catracho_Azul Member+

Jun 16, 2008
    New Orleans
    Club:
    Corinthians Sao Paulo
    Nat'l Team:
    Honduras
    worst ref of all time.

12. phoenixhazard

phoenixhazard Member+

Oct 26, 2010
    Seattle, WA
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I don't care how screwed over they were, like usual Ruiz looked like a pathetic piece of sh*t. As a Galaxy fan I have seen this pathetic behavior too often.

13. BallinBear

BallinBear Member

May 31, 2009
    Uh dude, it's called playing intelligent and saavy futbol.

The ref red cards two of your players and to top it off adds 5 freaking minutes of extra time. Did you expect them not to draw fouls and take a little time off the clock? Did you start following the sport last week or something?

14. cookiefritas

cookiefritas Member

Jun 30, 2008
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    Nat'l Team:
    Honduras
    Both second yellows were warranted guys. It is easy to cherry pick a ref once you see the plays in slow motion but go see the plays in real time and they both look dangerous.

First yellow card was ok because Costly outran the defender and bengston was running loose down the middle so the Guatemalan hacked Costly down and deservedly received a yellow. Second yellow was a risky play and it looked worst in real time. I admit once you do a slow motion replay, it should had not been a yellow card, but go look at it real time and it looks like the Defender hacked Emil Martinez into the sky.

Third yellow was fairly given to Costly and the Guatemalan defender since both of them kept disregarding the Refs pleas to stop their pulling and grabbing. Fourth yellow was deserved also, since the defender hacked Pery Martinez from behind.

I don't know what you guys are complaining about, all I care is for the game to be called fair and the ref did just that. All refs called their games differently, but as long as they call it the same both ways, then its fine by me.

Guatemala played better but Honduras clearly had the best chances even when the game was 11 on 11 and should had won. Guatemala never had a clear scoring chance, but they did dominate possession.

15. BallinBear

BallinBear Member

May 31, 2009
    Lol. Take off the blinders dude. It was a horrid call, the play was dangerous because the Honduran player decides to stick his leg in very late as Gustavo Cabrera is clearing the ball. Cabrera is able to clear the ball completely and then makes contact with the Honduran player, that's how late he was. It was a horrid call. If anyone deserved a yellow on that play it was the Honduran player. It's cool to be a fan, but don't be a homer.

16. cookiefritas

cookiefritas Member

Jun 30, 2008
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    Nat'l Team:
    Honduras
    I admit that you are correct when you get the benefit of reviewing the play in slow motion, but the ref did not have that luxury. Look the play over in real time and tell me that it did not look like a dangerous play that should had never happened. Defenders need to be more careful when they have a yellow. I have seen players be given yellow cards on similar plays countless times. It does not matter if you hit the ball first, if the play is reckless you run the risk of getting a yellow.

17. BallinBear

BallinBear Member

May 31, 2009
    I fail to see where Cabrera was reckless. I stand by my assertion that the recklessness is entirely on the part of the Honduran player. A defender is supposed to clear a ball like that. A bad call is a bad call, the ref's job is to get it right the first time, that's the definition of a blown call. This is a tournament, you expect better refereeing than that.

18. cookiefritas

cookiefritas Member

Jun 30, 2008
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    Nat'l Team:
    Honduras
    Fair enough we will agree to disagree.

Good luck on your next game.

19. BallinBear

BallinBear Member

May 31, 2009
    Good luck to you guys as well. If you guys get that midfield together, Jamaica and Grenada better watch-out.

20. soccershark

soccershark New Member

Sep 28, 2007
    As far as I can see, the first player (Guatemala defender) cleared an incoming high ball at about waist height. The second (Honduras) player went for the same ball, not only late but also studs in first. Guatemala defender cleared the ball and made contact with the Honduras player on his follow through. The most likely outcome in this scenario where the second player goes in late and leaves the foot in while the first player is trying to clear a high ball is very serious injury (broken leg or ankle) to the first player. IMHO, Honduras player should have received a straight red for this. Instead the ref gives second yellow (and a red) to the Guatemala player who not only did nothing wrong but was at the receiving end of a very bad foul. Very very bad call.

21. phoenixhazard

phoenixhazard Member+

Oct 26, 2010
    Seattle, WA
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Drawing fouls is one thing, getting air lightly blown on the back of your head and going down like a gas truck hit you is another. I'm not knocking the squad, just Ruiz ;)

22. nlsanand

nlsanand Member+

May 31, 2007
    Toronto
    Club:
    Toronto FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Canada
    Why is it the player's job to adjust his play for the ref making a bad call? How about the ref give the player the benefit of the doubt in that situation. Seeing that play in real time (as you admit that's the ref's handicap) he should not immediately reach for the second yellow.

Either way, it's clear the ref ********ed up... I just think these sort of ******** ups are avoidable by a ref who is less card happy.

23. Catracho_Azul

Catracho_Azul Member+

Jun 16, 2008
    New Orleans
    Club:
    Corinthians Sao Paulo
    Nat'l Team:
    Honduras
    I was suprised he didn't add more. Yall were flopping ALL OVER THE PLACE. Your Goalie.. lmaooo comedy. Guy takes one step and purposely trips over himself and pretends to have a "cramp"

Then Marco Pappa, wants to pretend as if it wasn't him being subbed out "Que.. Yo?? -walks- O espera que? El?? -stops- O yo, ok ok -walks- Esperame el?? Ah el lo quiere?? -walks back- OOOOooo okay okay yo soy el substuido, ya entiendo okay, dale. -walks-

Marco.. your kiddin me bro? the score board clearly showed your number. smh and to top it off.. the red card guy just stands there and doesn't leave the field after a good what 3-4 minutes.

Guy gtfo.

24. edcalvi

edcalvi Moderator
    Staff Member

Olimpia
    Guatemala
    May 1, 2005
    US
    Call pappa so he can wipe those tears off your eyes. :(

25. BallinBear

BallinBear Member

May 31, 2009
    You're kidding right? You play with at least a man advantage for 35 minutes and you're bitching about perhaps being shortchanged 1 or 2 minutes in added time? Cool story bro...