Honduras and Panama, here's the roster

Discussion in 'USA Men: News & Analysis' started by deuteronomy, Mar 15, 2017.

1. Cool Hand Luke

Cool Hand Luke Member+

Aug 13, 2008
    Austin Texas
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  2. John McGuirk

John McGuirk Member+

Jun 12, 2011
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    OMFG MOF LOL

dlokteff and swedust repped this.
  3. Eighteen Alpha

Eighteen Alpha Member+

Aug 17, 2016
    Club:
    Stoke City FC
    Good LU (for Honduras). Tweaked it a little.

----BW----
    FJ-------CP-----DN
    ——DMcC——KA——
    JV---JAB--WZ?--GC

sXeWesley and Bajoro repped this.
  4. Pragidealist

Pragidealist Member+

Mar 3, 2010
    Arena agreed Bradley is likley the capt - he's going to be in there

Doubt we need two dmids

I could see a 433 when Jones gets back - that could be interesting

Eighteen Alpha and sXeWesley repped this.
  5. y-lee-coyote

y-lee-coyote Member+

Dec 4, 2012
    Club:
    --other--
    How is Lletget deployed for club? Can he play beside Bradley better than the most frequently mentioned Nagbe? Bruce mentioned his name twice I think and I kind of got the felling that Seb was in his plans.

Cameron Zimmerman Brooks Villafana/beasley

Pulisic Lletget Bradley Johnson

Wood Altidore

Dempsey possible sub for Altidore. Wood on current form, has to start, he has a great engine, and is capable of making a goal in the 90th min after very few touches all game.

6. vexco

vexco Member+

Nov 2, 2013
    :|

7. dlokteff

dlokteff Member+

Jan 22, 2002
    San Francisco, CA
    Beasley was out for "family reasons" according to USSoccer. I think he's fit.

8. dlokteff

dlokteff Member+

Jan 22, 2002
    San Francisco, CA
    I know Bruce has been coy about "rushing" him back, but Dempsey has gone 90 twice already. This is a must win of all must wins. Clint starts or it's dumb.

Guinho repped this.
  9. soccerusa517

soccerusa517 Member+

Jun 23, 2009
    Ohio
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Klinsmann would've gotten a lot of crap for this roster. Different tactics, preparation, hoping the team responds and is able to get the job done. Still a lot of concerns with some picks, but some are obv due to injury (Yedlin, Lichaj).

jnielsen and juveeer repped this.
  10. Pragidealist

Pragidealist Member+

Mar 3, 2010
    Who knows? But Nagbe started both games under Bruce before and I would doubt he starts any young guy like Lletget in a must win qualifier.

But I'm balanced. I want Nagbe starting. I think the midfield will be Nagbe, Bradley, Pulisic and Johnson in some combination. Bradley is a 6 and Johnson is a left mid. I am not sure after that.

Nagbe centrally as an 8? A diamond midfield? Bradley as a 6 and Pulisic more as a 10 above him? There is more talk of Pulisic playing more centrally. I am not sure you do that in a qualifier either.

But an attacking group of Johnson, Pulisic, Nagbe, Jozy and Wood with Dempsey coming in the last 20 minutes as a sub and thats a hell of a lot of attacking talent.

If they can defend as a team and use their numbers, I think it could work and be the most dynamic groups the US has ever had. But it's hard to imagine them going that far (mainly because they never have). It probably just comes down to how much Arena thinks you can depend and build around the talented by 18 year old Pulisic. He defends well. That is one reason he gets so many minutes at Dortmond. So its possible.... its very intriguing to say the least.

11. Pragidealist

Pragidealist Member+

Mar 3, 2010
    He referred to Dempsey as more of a 20 minute sub at this point. Think of his in the Wondo role... that's a HUGE upgrade from Wondo.

rlrcpa, COMtnGuy, CeltTexan and 3 others repped this.
  12. Pragidealist

Pragidealist Member+

Mar 3, 2010
    JK would have gotten shit for any roster.... that hardly matters.

JK's roster, systems, tactics have never really been that bad. Jones at CB, Pulisic centrally, 352 line up, trying youth in the back... all fine...

It was the final execution that mattered. The same will be of Arena. If they win... its all good. I don't expect anything unreasonable. He's an experienced coach and knows the players. The real test is how well do the players come together and execute... we'll see.

sXeWesley, Footsatt, deuteronomy and 2 others repped this.
  13. dlokteff

dlokteff Member+

Jan 22, 2002
    San Francisco, CA
    Sure that's an upgrade. Why is he a 20 minute player when he's gone 90 twice for Sounders?

14. Pragidealist

Pragidealist Member+

Mar 3, 2010
    Arena's call. I haven't watched him with the Sounders this year yet. But Dempsey being fit enough to beat out his club competition and fit enough to make one of Jozy, Wood, Pulsic, Johnson, or Nagbe sit is another question.

His competition for a starting role is much greater at the USMNT level and if he's not full fit then I could see him not ready to start.

I also think, going forward, Dempsey could lengthen his international career considerably if he embraces that role.

FlipsLikeAPancake repped this.
  15. Mahtzo1

Mahtzo1 Member+

Jan 15, 2007
    So Cal
    My surprises:
    First thing I looked at is the defense: Beasley! who will play right back and left back. No FJ, so it's between Beasley and Villafana. I honestly am not sure who will play. One half of me believes Villafana must have made one hell of an impression on Arena but the other half is thinking that he's going to rely on ol faithful Beas. Then I noticed no Zusi or any other right back...other than Cameron. (someone mentioned Orozco so maybe that is it). I think Arena is going to play Cameron at right back with Brooks and Zimmerman in the middle. I'm not yet decided about left back.

The next thing that jumped out at me was Bedoya. I am surprised he is on the roster. I guess I am ok with it if he is used as Belerion suggests.

Finally, no Feilhaber or Klejstan! It looks like Lleget has a pretty good chance of starting.

I'll try a SWAG:

Wood Jozy
    Johnson Lleget Bradley Pulisic
    Villafana/Beasley Brooks Zimmerman Cameron

Howard

Another possibility:

Jozy/Wood (my guess would be Jozy)
    Pulisic

Johnson Lleget Bradley Nagbe
    Villafana/Beasley Brooks Zimmerman Cameron

Howard

The one guy that I would really like t see play would be Acosta but I don't see how he will fit in. He's not going to replace Bradley and I don't know where else I would place him.

16. Mahtzo1

Mahtzo1 Member+

Jan 15, 2007
    So Cal
    Very true. Another possibility is that Arena doesn't want to give too much away. It's anyone's guess I suppose.

17. Donny10

Donny10 Member

Aug 28, 2015
    Club:
    Minnesota United FC
    If CP is asked to tuck in more centrally it would be awfully nice to have, for example, yedlin making overlapping runs. Obviously he's not here but it would be fun to see.

jaxonmills repped this.
  18. Eighteen Alpha

Eighteen Alpha Member+

Aug 17, 2016
    Club:
    Stoke City FC
    Yeah, I know. We're stuck with him. Acosta is an 8 in my lineup. Maybe more of a 4 -1 - 4 -1. He might be a Dmid but he sure is in scoring form.

19. Susaeta

Susaeta BigSoccer Supporter

Apr 3, 2009
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Yep. This roster does not scream any radical departure from previous US teams. Hopefully the quality of play does.

jnielsen and nbstriker8 repped this.
  20. Guinho

Guinho Member+

San Jose Earthquakes, bless their hearts
    Estonia
    May 27, 2001
    San Francisco, CA
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

For what it's worth, I saw Beasley and the midfield selection (Bradley. Why did it have to be Bradley?) and my first thought:

Well at least we can fire Arena by mid summer and start building for 2022!

(Although even if are on zero points after four games, that still leaves 15 as an outside chance assuming Azteca is a lost cause. We can qualify with 15 right?)

I know, not that bad. We might get three or even four points here

21. Mahtzo1

Mahtzo1 Member+

Jan 15, 2007
    So Cal
    #121 Mahtzo1, Mar 16, 2017
    Last edited: Mar 16, 2017
    I can't even begin to imagine zero points after four games. A more likely "failure" would be 3 points after 4 games. I'm hoping for a good win against Honduras that gives us momentum and confidence going to Panama. Hopefully we will get at least four but obviously I wouldn't complain at 6.

deuteronomy repped this.
  22. Eighteen Alpha

Eighteen Alpha Member+

Aug 17, 2016
    Club:
    Stoke City FC
    Observations/Random questions.

What are we all missing about MOF? Is he that valuable of a utility knife? Are there no other options that are equally flexible but, you know, good?

I notice many, including myself, are leaning towards Zimmerman rather than Gonzalez (if Cam is at RB). Has Zimmerman's presence also displaced Besler or is there something else going on? Parsing Bruce's words, I think it is likely Cam plays RB if there are 4 at the back (which I also think is likely).

If we are sitting on three points in Panama, I can see Bedoya to eke out a point. Otherwise, someone shoot me if he is in our starting XI.

Does Bruce have the balls to sub out MB if he is playing like warmed over shit? Or do we just settle for another loss? I don't know where all the accurate, creative passing in midfield that BA called for will come from under most likely scenarios. Can someone help me?

Aside from the Dax inclusion (and, I guess, Lletget), I agree this is not in any significant way different from a JK roster. Easy ways it could have been different:

Feilhaber for Bedoya
    Klejstan for Bedoya
    Hyndman for Bedoya
    Bradley as a sub (TBD)
    Agudelo for Morris
    A festering hag for Orozco

Other than that, I am fine with it.

23. Mahtzo1

Mahtzo1 Member+

Jan 15, 2007
    So Cal
    hard to argue that the choices are significantly different but we will have to see if the starting lineups are any different and if they play differently.

defense, of course could potentially be much different but some of that is partly due to injury and suspension. Johnson in to mid, however, is a big change. because of how it affects left back and midfield. If Nagbe or Lleget starts, I would consider that a big departure from Klinsmann. Other than that the important difference will, hopefully, be in how they play together.

nbstriker8 and Eighteen Alpha repped this.
  24. Paul Berry

Paul Berry Member+

Notts County and NYCFC
    United States
    Apr 18, 2015
    Nr Kingston NY
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Tactics would be a big departure from Klinsmann.

Berks, wsmaugham, Mahtzo1 and 1 other person repped this.
  25. LouisianaViking07/09

Aug 15, 2009
    i really don't get it