Home-Grown Players

Discussion in 'MLS: Youth & Development' started by Jahinho_Guerro, Sep 17, 2010.

1. Hararea

Hararea Member+

Jan 21, 2005
    But we were only discussing the low end, where salaries would be much lower without the union's influence. IIRC, it's $35K minimum for players below #24 on the roster, $45K minimum for players in the top 24.

2. Clint Eastwood

Clint Eastwood Member+

Dec 23, 2003
    Somerville, MA
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    COMtnGuy and FlipsLikeAPancake repped this.
  3. Howard the Drake

Feb 27, 2010
    ...who played for a professional team last year. Okay.

4. Hararea

Hararea Member+

Jan 21, 2005
    Iirc, the Crew wanted to sign him, but he chose to stay at UCLA and finish school. Once he finished up, he played in the USL for a few weeks. Doesn't seem like a big deal.

5. MUTINYFAN

MUTINYFAN Member

Apr 18, 1999
    Orlando
    But he probably developed much more as a player and person by staying in school and getting a degree. You don't have to be 19 years old as a rookie to succeed in MLS. Look at Bright Dike who was 23 as a rookie and is way better than Altidore ever was.

6. FlipsLikeAPancake

Jul 6, 2010
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Wut

asoc, COMtnGuy, bwidell and 2 others repped this.
  7. UcIceD2011

UcIceD2011 Member+

Jul 10, 2011
    Nor Cal
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Let me say that again. Wut Wut Wut!?!?!?!?!?!?!

FlipsLikeAPancake repped this.
  8. SoCalYid

SoCalYid Member+

Jun 11, 2011
    BigSoccer :)
    Club:
    --other--
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Arena was talking about the USL-pro team and he mentioned this.

“We’re hopeful that we can discover a couple of players through the USL team but also develop our academy players that need playing time,” Arena continued. “You’re going to see players like Oscar Sorto, Jack McBean, Raul Mendiola, perhaps, Jose Villarreal; all those young players that if they’re not playing on a regular basis with us, they will be playing with the USL team.”

It's been rumored for awhile that he would sign a home grown contract. Also in a recent article there were suggestions that Zardes might lose that designation and be a regular salary player so we can sign another above the league minimum. I'm still not exactly sure how that works. Do players have a time limit on how long they have to be classified as "home grown" before you can sign them to a new deal?

9. SoCalYid

SoCalYid Member+

Jun 11, 2011
    BigSoccer :)
    Club:
    --other--
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Never mind, someone just answered this for me elsewhere.

10. youth=glory

youth=glory Member

Sep 2, 2010
    Don't quote me on this. But I think there is a certain number of HG players that don't effect the cap (maybe as much) every year. But there is a limit, say 4 or 6. So if you wanted to sign another and kinda park him in the USL but not have him count against the cap maybe Zardes needs to be a full "non-exempt" player? I don't see how you could "lose" the HG status, as its kinda a permanent designation. You either are or you aren't...

11. COMtnGuy

COMtnGuy Member+

Apr 5, 2012
    Higher than you
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I believe he is reffering to the contract status which follows along the GA (Generation Addida's) lines, which exempts player salary from top 20 and also protects players from Expansion drafts until some minutes played/ games played limit is exceeded. Then MLS announces they "graduated" from their GA deal at end of season.

12. Clint Eastwood

Clint Eastwood Member+

Dec 23, 2003
    Somerville, MA
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    COMtnGuy repped this.
  13. COMtnGuy

COMtnGuy Member+

Apr 5, 2012
    Higher than you
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    #888 COMtnGuy, Jan 2, 2014
    Last edited: Jan 2, 2014
    I am guessing the MLS has changed the HG rules again since Allen was in USA U-17 Residency before moving to RSL's and previously you had to be in a MLS teams academy before any team USA "exposure" or you had no HG claim.

"Allen played for Real Salt Lake’s academy from August 2011 to December 2012. The 18-year-old featured with the club’s residential academy in Arizona after spending one semester with the U.S. U17 Men’s National Team Residency Program in Florida in spring 2011." link below

http://www.topdrawersoccer.com/coll...freshman-jordan-allen-signs-with-rsl_aid32336

Or am I just mis-understanding previous rule?

14. revsfan603

revsfan603 Member

New England Revolution
    Jun 20, 2013
    New Hampshire
    Club:
    ADO Den Haag
    US-U20 Roster
    17 of the 36 were from academies, most came from the same groups of academies 6 from red bulls, 4 from real salt lake, 2 from dc united and the union, and 1 from seattle, chicago, chivas, and the galaxy

US-U18 Roster
    Alot more variety here

Overall RSL lead the way with 7 in total between the two teams.

15. asoc

asoc Member+

Sep 28, 2007
    Tacoma
    #890 asoc, Jan 5, 2014
    Last edited: Jan 5, 2014
  16. Yoshou

Yoshou Fan of the CCL Champ

May 12, 2009
    Seattle
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Rumors are the Sounders also offered Aaron Kovar a contract.

17. Jough

Jough Member+

Jul 30, 2007
    Kansas City
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    How do HGPs work with the Sueprdraft? An example, Alex Sweetin is an SKC academy product and was invited to the combine. If SKC wants him as a Home Grown Player would they have to do that before the draft? Does a player lose HGP status after going through the draft?

18. Balerion

Balerion Member+

Aug 5, 2006
    Roslindale, MA
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Yes, clubs have to make a decision on HG-eligible seniors prior to the draft. If Sweetin is in the draft, it's fair to assume that KC declined to make him an HG offer. Similarly, Patrick Slogic (Colorado) and Wojciech Wojcik (Chicago) were late additions to the combine, presumably because they were not offered HG contracts by their respective clubs.

19. Yoshou

Yoshou Fan of the CCL Champ

May 12, 2009
    Seattle
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  20. Balerion

Balerion Member+

Aug 5, 2006
    Roslindale, MA
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  21. SoccerPrime

SoccerPrime Moderator
    Staff Member

All of them
    Apr 14, 2003
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I read the Crew's owner's tweet today that they now have 7 HG players on roster. That seems almost excessive. Don't you think?

22. Balerion

Balerion Member+

Aug 5, 2006
    Roslindale, MA
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I think it entirely depends on the context of what they are contributing. It's only excessive if you view it through the lens of FC Dallas' HG handling and therefore view HGs as these Waiting-For-Godot type players who are talked about who contribute nothing and/or are given no chances to contribute nothing.

Trapp is a starter for Columbus and Speas, Barson, and Lampson contributed significant minutes in 2013. In that light, seven doesn't seem like a ton. Numbers of HGs are going to continue go up and up on every team as more and more HGs establish themselves as solid MLS players and a higher and higher percentage of the MLS enters the league via this route.

onefineesq, Hararea and bwidell repped this.
  23. SoccerPrime

SoccerPrime Moderator
    Staff Member

All of them
    Apr 14, 2003
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Of course 2013 was sorta a disaster for Crew, not sure you are strengthening your comment.

24. eclipse02

eclipse02 Member

Sep 20, 2009
    Trapp, Barson, Speas, and Lampson all held their own. Wiet, Friedman, and Walker will most likely be loaned out to Dayton. Also the Crew were 2 games away from making the playoffs. We just couldn't shake of the RW negativity type play soon enough.