Home-Grown Players

Discussion in 'MLS: Youth & Development' started by Jahinho_Guerro, Sep 17, 2010.

1. SUDano

SUDano Member+

Jan 18, 2003
    Rochester, NY
    I don't think we're struggling with the clear definition of the rule or the fact that they are presently being enforced unevenly.
    I'm debating whether this rule is starting to have more disadvantages than overall advantages. Its not a zero sum debate. We can reasonably disagree to whether a year training restriction unfairly limits talent from signing with a team. We can reasonably debate that for true growth in the league happens at the easy access to MLS professional training for dozens of youth a year. We can reasonably struggle with the rule limits unnecessarily and unknowingly pushing non MLS talent to Mexico or Europe and not MLS. We may think that existing rules are unintentionally a bureacratic burden to letting good players sign close to home.
    In any free market transition there are carcasses in its wake, but at the end the benefits far outweigh the restrictions they replaced.
    If in the end we have alot more talented youth having access to MLS trials and training increasing their potential of signing, I will care less and less that RSL got screwed with Tony Cascio.

2. SUDano

SUDano Member+

Jan 18, 2003
    Rochester, NY
    I have also decided not to discuss whether a player qualifies or not................because I don't care how a player is labeled. Just let me know if he's on a roster.

3. Clint Eastwood

Clint Eastwood Member+

Dec 23, 2003
    Somerville, MA
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Homegrown Bill Hamid starts tonight for the USMNT against Venezuela.

I believe he's the 2nd homegrown to start a match for the USMNT after Agudelo.

Am I wrong about that?

4. Clint Eastwood

Clint Eastwood Member+

Dec 23, 2003
    Somerville, MA
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    FCD's homegrown keeper Richard Sanchez has been called up by Mexico's U18s

http://espn.go.com/blog/dallas/soccer/post/_/id/14276/called-into-mexican-u-18-camp

“I had a chance to speak with a member of the Mexican U-17 National Team coaching staff while I was in Kansas City for the MLS SuperDraft, and they have very much targeted Richard as being a special player for Mexico in the future,” said Hyndman. “We’ve been contacted by several Mexican clubs interested in having him come down and train, but we’ve got big plans for Richard ourselves. We want him here training with Drew Keeshan, Chris Seitz and Kevin Hartman on a daily basis.”

5. JayDelight729

JayDelight729 Member

Jun 7, 2002
    Section 101
    Thanks!

The purpose of it is to simply serve as an educational resource. Stats and information are time consuming and I need to sit down a couple nights and just plow through it.

Should be able to do that in a couple weeks...

As an aside, there were some homegrowns added in Feb 2011 and several right before the season started, so expect another wave of new players prior to start of the season.

6. JayDelight729

JayDelight729 Member

Jun 7, 2002
    Section 101
    I'm starting to compile brief histories on each MLS club's academy.

If anyone would like to put together a brief description of an academy that you are knowledgable, please let me know or send along as I continue to update the homegrown player database to be as comprehensive a resource as possible.

As a guide, here's what I have put together for Toronto FC:

Toronto FC have invested more resources in youth development than any other MLS franchise. On January 24, 2011, former academy director Stuart Neely announced a $17.6 million dollar training facility would be built to house Toronto FC's academy squads. This is the largest academy investment to date in MLS history.

Toronto FC has signed several of its academy players to professional contracts starting with Doneil Henry on August 26, 2010. Ashtone Morgan became the first academy product to be called up to the Canadian National Team in September 2011.

To further TFC Head Coach Aron Winter's vision of a Dutch style youth academy, former US Under 20 National Team Coach and former Ajax player Thomas Rongen was named Academy Director on January 6, 2012.

Former TFC players Danny Dichio (Senior Academy) and Jim Brennan (Junior Academy) serve as coaches in the Academy setup.

7. SoccerPrime

SoccerPrime Moderator
    Staff Member

All of them
    Apr 14, 2003
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    So its been a year since the $17.6 million announcement. Has TFC even broken ground for their academy or spent $17 million on the academy?

8. OleGunnar20

OleGunnar20 Member+

Dec 7, 2009
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
  9. Jahinho_Guerro

Apr 17, 2009
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Canada
    completion date is sometime in may

10. CANPRO

CANPRO Member+

Dec 23, 2002
    TFC have brought 9 Academy players into their preseason camp. 2-3 are expected to compete for first team contracts with striker Stefan Vukovic widely expected to be signed.

If I were a youth player at TFC i'd be excited about the fact that managament gives young players every opportunity to play and impress, unlike some other clubs who don't really have a youth scheme.

11. bettermirror

bettermirror Member

Jul 17, 2008
    Fraser Valley
    What TFC is doing is very exciting. Winter has seen first hand what giving youth players can do not only for the club pocket book (cheap players, player sales, and loyalty from players) but also for fan support. Fans love nothing more than to see a local kid achieve greatness for their home town team in any sport!

Vukovic signing....never seen him or Makubuya play. I wonder if Vukovic pushes Makubuya out or if he'll get more chances this year?

TFC is clearly ahead of Vancouver in youth development right now. Whitecaps have the best residency program, but TFC have the most recent successes, while the Whitecaps have the more traditional successes of player sales (looking at the Straith's and Haber's they've sent overseas).

12. SweetOwnGoal

SweetOwnGoal Member

Jan 5, 2003
    11.9986 km from BMO Field
    Club:
    Toronto FC
    Those smarter than I have told me that "Vukovic does one thing very well -- score goals."

He lead the CSL last year (playing against semi-pro men) with 18.

13. Yoshou

Yoshou Fan of the CCL Champ

May 12, 2009
    Seattle
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Isn't it a little optimistic to call CSL semi-pro? :D

14. SweetOwnGoal

SweetOwnGoal Member

Jan 5, 2003
    11.9986 km from BMO Field
    Club:
    Toronto FC
    Since it literally is, no.

15. Yoshou

May 12, 2009
    Seattle
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    They might be getting paid, but very few deserve to be.

16. bettermirror

bettermirror Member

Jul 17, 2008
    Fraser Valley
    They "Deserve" to get paid whatever anyone is willing to pay them, same as you or me at my day job whether it's semi-pro or otherwise. CSL is a decent calibre, and the number of TFC academy grads is a pretty good testament to the CSL level of play.

17. Otergod

Otergod Member+

Sep 20, 2007
    indianapolis
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Could one also say given the number of successes of MLS players is a pretty good testament to the PDL level of play? Obviously i'm speaking of those who played in PDL, not all MLS players.

18. bettermirror

bettermirror Member

Jul 17, 2008
    Fraser Valley
    I would put more weight in the success of CSL over PDL for one reason. CSL is a full-time team, whereas PDL is only a few months. One could argue the PDL is not developing players equivalent to whereever players are playing the other 7-9 months of the year when not at PDL.

Some PDL teams would whip CSL teams would beat most PDL teams. It's a good league, but not "great" and semi-pro is an adequate description.

19. Otergod

Otergod Member+

Sep 20, 2007
    indianapolis
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I dont follow either, just playing off the "and the number of TFC academy grads is a pretty good testament to the CSL level of play." comment ;)

20. bettermirror

bettermirror Member

Jul 17, 2008
    Fraser Valley
    Meaning TFC academy has lads in CSL that are moving into the TFC first team (and a few now with CMNT caps) suggests CSL is a pretty good level and preparing the players pretty well - ie, Ashtone Morgan moved through academy in the same way Juan Agudelo did for NYRB to USMNT. TFC has a large number of academy signings and looking to sign 1-2 more this year at least who all played in the CSL for the TFC academy.

21. Yoshou

May 12, 2009
    Seattle
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    That would be a reflection on TFC's academy, not on CSL. You're example is equivalent to saying SPL is a decent league because the Rangers and Celtic play in the league. The question is, how many CSL players outside of the TFC academy and Montreal academy have made the transition to MLS/International rosters.

22. bettermirror

bettermirror Member

Jul 17, 2008
    Fraser Valley
    Hmmm, not sure how many have moved on from CSL to other leagues MLS. Not a lot. Last year a Canadian Midfielder named WEBB (last name - not sure his first) went to Singapore from CSL and set a scoring record there. It was the top Singapore league. I know, I know not great...BUT...it's also nothing to sniff at since he is a MF. There are other examples but I am not a CSL expert.

I am not trying to say CSL is some brilliant league - which is what your remark seems to be suggesting - I just think it can take more credit for developing players than can the PDL which only has players for a few months. As the CSL is a full season.

And for the record - loads of Scottish teams other than Rangers/Celtic send players on to good teams (EPL teams have signed a few SPL youngsters this month) and it is a decent league! It's going to be on par or just below MLS. Celtic/Rangers would battle for MLS title while other teams would be middling to lower-bottom MLS. MLS on the whole of course is better than SPL.

PDL is an excellent league, and I am a big fan. But they have players a short time while CSL has players for a full season. That's all I am saying re: the claim to development.

As for the level of CSL - yes, TFCA is a quality set-up and clearly is doing a great job. But the players also will need good competition to develop and that's what CSL provides. I would suggest the number of players that move from TFCA to the TFC first team recently suggests CSL is a far better venue for elite development than has been USSDA - for many obvious reasons (adults v. teens).

23. TopDogg

TopDogg Member

Jan 31, 2000
    Toronto
    Club:
    Toronto FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Canada
    http://www.torontofc.ca/trainingground

24. bettermirror

bettermirror Member

Jul 17, 2008
    Fraser Valley
    This facility will be #1 in North Am obviously. I think you can expect this facility to be a National Team training centre, they'll probably be open to hosting other teams who are traveling etc for training, and I suspect they'll host elite youth tournaments....

Beautiful.

If Vancouver's City Board can get their head out of their arses you can be sure Whitecaps are sure to follow with such a facility quickly, and you'll see LA Galaxy and NY RB not long after!...>Sounders have a great facility right now. It's not perfect, but has a few beautiful pitches and a SSS without a track (but old turf!).

25. Yoshou

May 12, 2009
    Seattle
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The turf at Starfire was replaced during the 2010 season. I believe it is the same they have in Portland and New England.

Also, the Sounders use the Virginia Mason Athletic Center (VMAC) for things that Starfire lacks, like an indoor training field. VMAC is where the Seahawks train, so probably a better facility than anything other MLS teams have.

http://www.seahawks.com/team/facilities/vmac.html