Pre-match: Holland vs. Belarus & France - WCQ

Discussion in 'The Netherlands' started by Brilliant Dutch, Sep 20, 2016.

1. Orange14

Orange14 Moderator
    Staff Member

Apr 27, 2007
    Bethesda, MD
    Club:
    AFC Ajax
    Nat'l Team:
    Netherlands
    A decent enough final 30 minutes but only the Depay shot forced a good save from Lloris. Karsdorp & van Dijk had very nice games. Blind was decent. None of the starting midfielders were worth anything. Janssen came around late in the match to get some touches. In the end, there is just not enough talent to compete against a team like France.

2. Mr.S

Mr.S Member

Oct 22, 2011
    Should Stek start anymore? That was a 100% easy save, I understand outfield players should not make such mistakes but ultimately is it the fault of a GK for that kind of play.

France are a good team & we conceded only 1 goal from a GK error, in the end head the defense held steady. Van Dijk was outstanding, Karsdorp was good especially going forward. Blind was decent, Bruma improved with the game & was okay overall.

In the end Depay-Propper-Klaassen can't replace Promes-Sneijder-Robben. If we had Robben, Sneijder & Promes we have guys who can create stuff, play decent interchange with Janssen. Janssen is a potentially Top TOP ST, he wins a huge share of aerial balls, physically is strong, decent exchange, very intelligent movement, etc - In this team of hopelessness, he gives some decent hope when it seemed after RVP & Hunter everything is doomed.

Now I hope people like Nouri, Van Beek, Bergwijn have a break through season in the 2nd half & those will add strong competition & viable options & will be a big upgrade!

Oranje98 and richsavare repped this.
  3. Rinus127

Rinus127 Member

Sep 8, 2015
    Club:
    AFC Ajax
    Firsr defeat in world up qualification since 2001. I'm not optimistic for the future. Sweden will park the bus against us. We desperately need Robben.

4. Brilliant Dutch

Brilliant Dutch Member+

Ajax
    Netherlands
    Oct 14, 2013
    Amsterdam, Holland
    Nat'l Team:
    Netherlands
    French were the better team today.
    Let's be honest.

Only good things I took away from this match werr Karsdorp and vDijk.

I also think that Janssen tried really hard which means he's more of a Dirk Kuijt than a RvN

5. Bran

Bran Member

Nov 18, 2010
    Nijmegen
    Nat'l Team:
    Netherlands
    I'm not really afraid of Sweden, I think we will beat them. I'm more afraid who we're going to face in the play-offs. If we even encounter team say Switzerland we will lose. Any mid table Euro team that will park the bus and is well disciplined will beat us.

JC-14 repped this.
  6. PuckVanHeel

PuckVanHeel BigSoccer Yellow Card

Oct 4, 2011
    Club:
    Feyenoord
    Surprisingly good comments by Ruud Gullit on television.

7. richsavare

richsavare Member+

Ajax
    Netherlands
    Jan 28, 2003
    New Jersey
    Club:
    AFC Ajax
    Nat'l Team:
    Netherlands
    Bad result today shame on Stek.
    Play for 2nd place and playoffs which is dangerous.
    Dost comes on and it's all long ball route 1 all the time.
    Thought there was space to run into but all too often it was hit and hope.
    No creative movement or combination play.
    No one running at defenders makes things difficult.
    Promes injury hurt today as he can be that type of player.
    Klaassen Propper are not good enough and complete anonymous displays
    How about about athlete like Fer?
    Cannot believe how Oranje concede goals in every match now.
    Perhaps Bruma will be dropped now?
    GK big problem as Stek is not the answer and obviously it would appear Zoet is not rated.
    Cillessen clearly cannot play as he sucked and now is on a payday to ride the bench at Barca.

8. richsavare

richsavare Member+

Ajax
    Netherlands
    Jan 28, 2003
    New Jersey
    Club:
    AFC Ajax
    Nat'l Team:
    Netherlands
    What did he say?

9. Oranje98

Oranje98 Member

Aug 8, 2014
    Nat'l Team:
    Netherlands
    I think the GK spot should be discussed. We do not have a top GK at the moment.
    I think If Vlaar replaces Bruma we will have a very decent back line.
    I think Strootman is doing fine in the no. 6 rule but he is definitely not supported enough by his teammates.
    Enough for Wijnaldum, Propper, Klaassen. They are so mediocre for Oranje.
    We need Robben And Sneijder. Promes can be shifted to the midfield instead of Klaassen.
    Ramselaar, Elia and Nigel de jong should be called, too. We need to win every single game in the rest of the Qualifiers and tie with France in the Away game.

10. SectionX

SectionX Member

May 27, 2004
    Nat'l Team:
    Sweden
    Sweden is a much better team with new coach. Also it is nice that ego zlatan has quit.

11. richsavare

richsavare Member+

Ajax
    Netherlands
    Jan 28, 2003
    New Jersey
    Club:
    AFC Ajax
    Nat'l Team:
    Netherlands
    Wrong and wrong.

12. SectionX

SectionX Member

May 27, 2004
    Nat'l Team:
    Sweden
    Yes our new coach is much better then our old one. Zlatan was useless in euro 2016.

13. richsavare

richsavare Member+

Ajax
    Netherlands
    Jan 28, 2003
    New Jersey
    Club:
    AFC Ajax
    Nat'l Team:
    Netherlands
    Zlatan like it or not was your only World Class player.
    No one replaces him.
    Oranje missing our only World Class player. Arjen Robben.

14. Brilliant Dutch

Brilliant Dutch Member+

Ajax
    Netherlands
    Oct 14, 2013
    Amsterdam, Holland
    Nat'l Team:
    Netherlands
    Nah, disagree with you on that one.
    A team like Switzerland we will beat without breaking a sweat.

Dutch will finish second in this group.
    And we'll have to get lucky in the playoffs.

/the end

Orange14 repped this.
  15. Orange14

Orange14 Moderator
    Staff Member

Apr 27, 2007
    Bethesda, MD
    Club:
    AFC Ajax
    Nat'l Team:
    Netherlands
    You cannot ignore the simple give away by Bruma or the fact that Strootman failed to close down Pogba who ends up with a free shot on goal. Yes, it should have been saved and maybe one of the other Dutch keepers makes the save; we'll never know. You also cannot ignore the really tough saves that Steks made to keep the scoreline 1-0.

Nouri has played exactly ONE match for the Ajax team and that was a cup match. With Ziyech on the team now it's not likely that he is going to get a lot of playing time. What does Van Beek add to the team over Bruma or de Vrij?

Rinus127 repped this.
  16. Brilliant Dutch

Brilliant Dutch Member+

Ajax
    Netherlands
    Oct 14, 2013
    Amsterdam, Holland
    Nat'l Team:
    Netherlands
    What bugs me about the goal was Stroot just turning his back?? And almost giving Pogba complete FREE reign to take a shot at Stek!!

Inexcusable!!

17. Brilliant Dutch

Brilliant Dutch Member+

Ajax
    Netherlands
    Oct 14, 2013
    Amsterdam, Holland
    Nat'l Team:
    Netherlands
    I'm just about ready to drop Stroot right now.

He has showed nothing right now for him to deserve his place in Oranje

18. demeer

demeer New Member

Sep 8, 2015
    Club:
    AFC Ajax
    And play who instead? For example klaasen was far more invisible yet seems to be a permanent fixture at club & country level. Holland sadly don't have three good cm players available

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Keko repped this.
  19. richsavare

richsavare Member+

Ajax
    Netherlands
    Jan 28, 2003
    New Jersey
    Club:
    AFC Ajax
    Nat'l Team:
    Netherlands
    Better then Klaassen or Propper.
    Not fast, not a great athlete but more experienced and plays regular higher level football then most.
    Guy has real guts coming back from what he has endured.

20. 2nd_striker

2nd_striker Member

May 21, 2008
    London
    Everything in midfield went backwards even when a forward pass was on. Totally inept attacking performance today

21. Orange14

Orange14 Moderator
    Staff Member

Apr 27, 2007
    Bethesda, MD
    Club:
    AFC Ajax
    Nat'l Team:
    Netherlands
    But this is the style that has been played for quite some time. van Gaal's Brazil team did the same thing and Ajax under de Boer was mind numbing to watch. It's commonly called 'U Shape Football.' Until the Eredivisie teams start to play quicker football, it's going to be very difficult to find midfielders who can compete at the elite level. Klaassen and Wijnaldum have terrible touches on the ball and both are useful utility players in that they can score an occasional goal. Klaassen works real hard and runs all day but none of this can compensate for his poor ball skills. Propper is a smooth player but a full step too slow at this level. His passes were too soft and usually intercepted. All these players are OK against the other teams in our group but none of them will strike terror when playing a FIFA top five team.

We got a rotten draw with this group and now have to make the best of it. The fact that the team came back and played a very decent final 30 minutes was encouraging. We can hope that Robben will be able to put some shifts in for future matches.

22. Oranje98

Oranje98 Member

Aug 8, 2014
    Nat'l Team:
    Netherlands
    We are supposed to have three kind of easy games in-a-row. Sweden will face France away, hopefully they will give them some hard time and get a point, Though this may seem really difficult to happen.
    Pity that Blind's spot is unquestionable for the KNVB at the moment.

23. Orange14

Orange14 Moderator
    Staff Member

Apr 27, 2007
    Bethesda, MD
    Club:
    AFC Ajax
    Nat'l Team:
    Netherlands
    Give me a break. With the current talent pool, Arrigo Sacchi couldn't do much better.

Rinus127, Oranje98 and sXeWesley repped this.
  24. Laurent75

Laurent75 Member

Aug 2, 2014
    This game looked exactly like a CL game between PSV and Atletico or Ajax and PSG...We had the possession, tried things, but the technical and physical differences were obvious.

It's just quality and quality again...We're able to put the ball on the wingers quicker than a team like Bulgaria or Belarus would, we can hold possession better than them for sure...But what after ? We just don't have players able to make differences, Promes started bad, losing every challenge, Depay could never get past his opponent, no midfielder able to penetrate neither...

Against Sweden we relied on Janmaat and tonight Karsdorp did the best things.

Oranje98 repped this.
  25. Orange14

Orange14 Moderator
    Staff Member

Apr 27, 2007
    Bethesda, MD
    Club:
    AFC Ajax
    Nat'l Team:
    Netherlands
    I hope this is just a result of not playing any significant matches. In Brazil he blew past players with ease, tonight it was like he lost two steps worth of speed. It's a shame that he moved on to ManU and a double shame that Mourinho is now the manager. I don't think there is any future for him there. He would have done better moving to a Spanish team.