PBP: Holden, Dempsey, EJ: Fulham @ Bolton - 8/14 10AM EST[R]

Discussion in 'Yanks Abroad Gameday' started by appoo, Aug 12, 2010.

1. Plan B

Plan B New Member

Aug 9, 2004
    Chicago
    Better than that: He was free

2. vponce75

vponce75 BigSoccer Supporter

Aug 16, 2004
    SoCal
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I also think Dempsey's best position is in midfield.

And I don't underestimate Fulham's squad I just think Dempsey is that good. And I think he has proved it. Who has scored more for Fulham over the last 3 years? Even when he has been out injured.

3. Sam Hamwich

Sam Hamwich Member+

Jul 11, 2006
    Dear Sparky,

(insert video of Clint at the double against ManCity earlier this year)

Regards,

CD

what does that make 53 straight draws by Sparky? Fearsome manager.

Never bench your talent because of preseason performance.

4. eainterplay

eainterplay Member

May 11, 2008
    Alabama
    Club:
    Rangers
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  5. strawman

strawman New Member

Aug 16, 2008
    oxford
    Club:
    Fulham FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Everyone's making too big a deal out of dempsey not starting. Gera has proven to be a good player. As a Fulham fan, I would rather have Clint out there of course, but as a USMNT fan I like this for 2 reasons. 1) it keeps Clint from getting complacent and 2) it gives his body some rest. Of course he's still doing everything that he would be doing except playing 60 minutes more a week, but those 60 minutes at the PL's pace and level do take their toll. Oh and it was the first game of the season, maybe Dempsey isn't match fit because he took a holiday after the WC. Most of Fulham's starting 11 took their holiday during the WC and started preseason much earlier.

6. Gorky

Gorky Member+

Jul 28, 2006
    NYC
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    There was some talk on BS that Norway required him to renounce his American citizenship, so he may not even be a YA. He was basically raised in Norway and is completely Norwegian, even though he was born in the States.

7. KZ Man

KZ Man Member

Jun 12, 2006
    NoVa
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  8. Tigerpunk

Tigerpunk Member+

Jun 17, 2004
  9. Deimos

Deimos Member

Apr 23, 1999
    Louisville, KY, USA
    Norway doesn't allow dual citizenship.

10. eric_appleby

eric_appleby Member+

Jun 11, 1999
    Down East
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

Nah, it'll take Hughes another 2-3 games.

I'd have preferred to see Demps take his act to Serie A, but at the end of the day, it's his decision.

11. Donofan_10

Donofan_10 Red Card

Aug 20, 2009
    Club:
    FC Tampa Bay Rowdies
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    It's a shame Mark Hughes suffers from the Bob Bradley syndrome (where do I play Dempsey in my rigid system) Except, Hughes didn't even start Dempsey, despite him being one of their best players and most consistent goal threat. I mean, this will obviously change by Christmas, but it's just annoying.

12. Bruce S

Bruce S Member+

Sep 10, 1999
    what does this mean? Bradley has played Deuce all over the place! What is rigid?

13. Bruce S

Bruce S Member+

Sep 10, 1999
    at what time of day is it your decision?????

1 person likes this.
  14. ImaPuppy

ImaPuppy Member+

Aug 10, 2009
    Using too many parentheses
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    American Samoa
    Midnight to 2 a.m. - When FIFA 10 is being played, and we're ********ing around in the transfer market :D

1 person likes this.
  15. Bruce S

Bruce S Member+

Sep 10, 1999
    makes sense. ;)

16. JJxvi

JJxvi Member

Dec 16, 2005
    Houston, TX
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Not to hijack the thread, but I find this very doubtful. In general, countries do not force children with multiple citizenship at birth to choose. A child born in Houston to Norwegian parents is a US citizen according to the United States, and a child born anywhere to Norwegian parents is Norwegian according to Norway. Mikkel Diskerud is in the same situation, and he has dual nationality.

17. gimmedatgoal

gimmedatgoal Member

Jul 31, 2010
    Florida
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Fulham's attack looked very lively when dempsey came in. Would have been nice if his through balls weren't so heavy, not so much that second one but the first one was pretty bad. It was good to see that both holden and dempsey had decent attempts on goal.

Yeah I can't believe that is actually the caption they wrote.

18. Mason16

Mason16 Member

Apr 11, 2001
    South Florida
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Love the 7 for Holden. I was impressed by his effectiveness in defense which could have had game-changing implecations with a little more luck. Nevertheless, hopefully he keeps playing well and gets good experience this season. You Bradley or his successor will have to find a role for him in the sarting 11 if he stays on the track he's on. What was up with the dumbass announcer who kept talking about replacing Holden in the latter stages of the match? He was one of the better Bolton players and he is an offensive threat. I thought the manager made all the right changes and rightlfully left Holden in for the full 90..

19. Deimos

Deimos Member

Apr 23, 1999
    Louisville, KY, USA
    From The Norwegian Directorate of Immigration

Dual citizenship
    The person applying for Norwegian citizenship must, as a rule, renounce his/her former citizenship.

20. freisland

freisland Member+

Jan 31, 2001
    the question would be, however, did he apply for Norwegian citizenship or was he a citizen before majority. There are often different rules for those two distinct situations. don't know specifically about Norway.

21. El Michael

El Michael Member

Dec 17, 2009
    Club:
    DC United

The fans gave Clint the second highest rating not counting the goalie. Maybe there was scarcasim in Clint's rating. " tried too Hard"

22. olephill2

olephill2 Member+

Oct 6, 2006
    Club:
    Watford FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Pretty good game from Holden given it's the season opener and only his 2nd ever Premiership start. I'd rate him a "6" for the match. The first half, he was fairly involved offensively. 2nd half, not as much (save for his shot off the post), but he did get stuck in defensively and I do recall that Elmander's best chance of the game came off of a Fulham turnover created by a Holden tackle.

Dempsey looked lively after coming on. I also can't believe he's in the same situation again with a new manager and starting the season on the bench, but hopefully Mark Hughes will soon come to recognize his quality. Gera was absent for most of the match yesterday.

23. ISSfan

ISSfan Member

Jun 17, 2001
    New York City
    A lot of praise for Holden's skills on a Wanderers msg board I checked out. However a number of posters were concerned he might be a bit of a lightweight to be one of the CMs in a 4-4-2 and against a decent team Bolton's midfield would get run over with only Muamba there to provide some steel. Will be interesting to see if Stu thrives in this system since a lot of US fans would love to see what Holden-Bradley pairing would be like in the middle of the field.

24. Metrogo

Metrogo Member

Apr 6, 1999
    Washington Hghts NY
    Mark Hughes: Another English coaching hack.

25. eainterplay

eainterplay Member

May 11, 2008
    Alabama
    Club:
    Rangers
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    *Welch