PBP: Holden, Dempsey, EJ: Fulham @ Bolton - 8/14 10AM EST[R]

Discussion in 'Yanks Abroad Gameday' started by appoo, Aug 12, 2010.

1. appoo

appoo Member+

Jul 30, 2001
    USA
    In their last friendly, Bolton went with Holden paired with Muamba in the center of the pitch. The blond one should start the match.

Clint Dempsey seems to have earned a starting spot as a striker under new Coach Mark Hughes, but as with everything in top flight soccer - that's always a temporary position.

Eddie Johnson hopefully earned himself a spot on the 18, recently scoring a goal in a friendly against Werder Bremen. He's been given the 21 shirt to start the season.

2. eainterplay

eainterplay Member

May 11, 2008
    Alabama
    Club:
    Rangers
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Wow, starting early, I like it. I'd be surprised if Holden and Dempsey aren't starting, and I think Johnson will be on the 18 (tough I doubt he gets in the game).

I'll say 2-1 Bolton with a good performance from all yanks involved.

3. andypalmer

andypalmer Member

Aug 28, 2008
    Baltimore
    Club:
    Fulham FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Ahh, but factoring in that Fulham only wins away when:
    1. It's the first game of the season
    - OR -
    2. They are staving off relegation

I think Fulham gets at least a point from this one. :)

4. Gorky

Gorky Member+

Jul 28, 2006
    NYC
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I actually think Dempsey will be on the bench, while Gera, Duff and Davies start in the positions he can play in. But I'd love to be wrong.

5. KALM

KALM Member+

Oct 6, 2006
    Boston/Providence
    If we want to be optimistic, Dempsey started the last friendly up top, on what looked to be Hughes' A team.

On the more pessimistic side, Gera replaced Dempsey and scored a hat trick, and Hughes appears to prefer traditional wingers out wide.

6. jcsd

jcsd Member+

Jan 27, 2006
    I would've thoguht Gera will be preferred to Dempsey upfront.

With Dempsey there's 3 postions (behind Zamora and on either wing) where it is very feasible he could start, but I don't think he's the favourite to start in any of them. I'd say about 50/50 he starts on the bench, though f he does start on the bench I'm sure he'll feature in the match.

7. ImaPuppy

ImaPuppy Member+

Aug 10, 2009
    Using too many parentheses
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    American Samoa
    I'm not sure why this made me chuckle but it just did. If Demps sits and can't break into the first team he'll be playing with that same chip on his shoulder that he did a couple years ago which might be nice.

8. thedukeofsoccer

thedukeofsoccer Member+

Jul 11, 2004
    Wussconsin
    Club:
    AFC Ajax
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    If Dempsey falls out of favor with the new manager then he should demand to be moved instead of waste any time there. He had a plethora of other options this offseason. He'd be playing Europa League football with Napoli.

9. iad_22201

iad_22201 Member+

Jan 2, 2009
    Washington, DC
    Club:
    Fulham FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Do we actually know he had other options? We know that there was rumored interest from a number of teams (the source for those rumors being his agent, as best I can tell). But did any of this purported interest actually lead to a serious offer being made to Fulham?

10. usry723

usry723 Member+

Aug 14, 2008
    Georgia, USA
    Club:
    Atlanta
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    So much Dempsey talk...

Holden time! He's gonna have a breakout season.

11. ImaPuppy

ImaPuppy Member+

Aug 10, 2009
    Using too many parentheses
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    American Samoa
    So much Holden talk...

EJ time!

:p

No but I completely agree, Stu is going to make a name for himself this year and will end up with a locked spot in the XI for both club and country.

12. eainterplay

eainterplay Member

May 11, 2008
    Alabama
    Club:
    Rangers
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    On a serious note, I think EJ could establish himself as a solid sub option this year.

13. StarsAndStripesFan

Oct 25, 2009
    Club:
    Kansas City Wizards
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I hope Holden has a break out year. I got him on my fantasy league bench. :p
    I expect him to start, in real life.

I expect Demps to come off the bench and score a brace. 2-1 Fulham. EJ gets two minutes of stoppage time. :)

I don't think I ever looked forward to a Bolton-Fulham game before this one.

14. Sam Hamwich

Sam Hamwich Member+

Jul 11, 2006
    Sparky is no where near as good a coach as Hodgs was. Fulham are going to concede a lot more goals this season, they are going to play faster on the wings, and they are going to be in a quasi-relegation battle.

They might start fast, but eventually, I dont see them having any success.

It will take Sparky no less than 10 matches to figure out Dempsey is his best midfielder and by then it will be winter break time and he will be looking to bring in midfield help.

I dont anticipate Dempsey will have a good year at all.

To put it in perspective, Fulham didnt just beat man city last year, they annihilated them. Hodgs out coached and fulham players out played a very talented man city team. Dempsey went for the double.

15. YankatOxford

YankatOxford Member+

Oct 15, 2007

Hmm... Bobby Zamora played (and played well) for England the other night. There was a time when some on this board were certain he was worse than Titus Bramble playing forward.

So I'm perfectly comfortable reading yet more BS prognosticators who decide to once again doubt Dempsey, Zanimal and company.

Holden, if he can stay healthy, should have a solid season.

16. Gorky

Gorky Member+

Jul 28, 2006
    NYC
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I actually think it was a mistake not to bring Bobby Z to South Africa.

17. schrutebuck

schrutebuck Member+

Jul 26, 2007
    The match you are referring to was actually in the spring of 09.

Last season Fulham and Man City drew 2-2 with Dempsey scoring a header with some sick backspin.

I can't remember the other PL match result, although Man City defeated Fulham in the Carling Cup where EJ got an assist.

18. YankatOxford

YankatOxford Member+

Oct 15, 2007
    Well, I think its fair to say a healthy Zamora definitely helps England in the WC. Unfortunately, he had done his achilles, and was struggling even in the Europa League final, as he had for the last 2 months of the season. From all accounts, it was actually Zamora himself who withdrew from consideration because of his injury.

Certainly would have been a mistake not to bring him if he was fully healthy. He was en fuego.

19. schrutebuck

schrutebuck Member+

Jul 26, 2007
  20. tomwilhelm

tomwilhelm Member+

Dec 14, 2005
    Boston, MA, USA
    Club:
    Fulham FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    And so another season begins.

Plenty of time for analysis later. For now... COYW!

21. Dirty_South_Futbol

Dirty_South_Futbol New Member

Mar 19, 2006
    On the road
    Club:
    Fulham FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Last season was crazy for Dempsey.
    For those of you that whatc a lot of Fulham matches and kept up last season, Dempsey was on a tear. He scored a couple goals early on, and that sparked something in him - He was playing with intelligence and passion, and everytime he had the ball he made dangerous plays (btw, does anyone else notice that many of Dempsey's missed goals make for excellent highlights? He's had some distance laser shots and bike kicks go off the bar or get saved, anyway).
    Then, he hurt his knee in his prime of the season. Gera, who had struuggled mightily to find playing time, fan support and confidence up to this point, came on for Dempsey, slotted in the position behind Zamora, and proceeded to play great. Gera scored goals, gained confidence and did very well in the Europa Cup. Dempsey came back from injury, but it seems Gera had taken his spot and he was forced to come off the bench. Although, Dempsey still contributed off the bench, who can forget the Juventus goal?
    From what I can see, the Fulham faithful in the UK are not as bothered about Demps, and they wouldn't mind his departure. They have all of their confidence in Davies, Gera and Duff now.
    This seems unfair, as Dempsey has played more and been around longer than those three, but it seems that Demps has to continually prove himself to the Fulham fans and every new manager. They'll miss him when he's gone. But for now, I too predict a rough year for Clint before he transfers out.
    I hope Holden tears it up this season. I predict a few goals scored on free kicks.

22. Sam Hamwich

Sam Hamwich Member+

Jul 11, 2006
    It seems that DIRECTV will have this match on replay at 1:30 EST?

I wont be able to watch Dempsey's misery live. Darn it.

I really hope sparky puts him in the midfield. But he wont.

23. KALM

KALM Member+

Oct 6, 2006
    Boston/Providence
    Holden starts. Dempsey on the bench. Johnson didn't make the bench.

24. iad_22201

iad_22201 Member+

Jan 2, 2009
    Washington, DC
    Club:
    Fulham FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    While disappointed wrt Dempsey, can't say I'm surprised about any of this.

25. usry723

usry723 Member+

Aug 14, 2008
    Georgia, USA
    Club:
    Atlanta
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Where'd you find the lineups? BBC is slacking.