History Question: Billy Gonsalves as Coach?

Discussion in 'USA Men' started by Zycho32, Aug 6, 2017.

1. Zycho32

Zycho32 Member

Oct 3, 2012
    I don't mean as Coach of the National Team. I know that NEVER happened.

I know the particulars of Billy Gonsalves as far as his playing career in top-flight US Soccer goes. From the first ASL to the first two World Cups to a stint in the St. Louis leagues followed by a return to the now downgraded ASL. He finished this part of his career in 1947. My questions have to do with what happened afterwards;

Gonsalves wrapped up his career by serving as Player-Coach for a Newark team in the German-American Soccer League(a rung below the ASL and purely Amateur if I'm not mistaken). He competed in this capacity from 1947 to 1952, and in the years where I can find League Standings, the Newark team always seemed to tread water at around the .500 level but got as far as third place once.

And that's all of the information I could find on his 'coaching' career. So, does anyone have any tidbits about said coaching career, and does anyone know the specifics over how and why he left soccer after '52?

2. soccersubjectively

soccersubjectively BigSoccer Supporter

Jan 17, 2012
    Dallas
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  3. Roger Allaway

Roger Allaway Member+

Apr 22, 2009
    Warminster, Pa.
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I am not aware of Gonsalves doing any coaching beyond the GASL years mentioned by Zycho32. However, Steve Holroyd, who I thought was on BS, but maybe no longer is, would know better than me.