History Book Recommendations

Discussion in 'History' started by KevTheGooner, Sep 29, 2005.

1. schrutebuck

schrutebuck Member+

Jul 26, 2007
    I have no idea if this fulfills your criteria and/or is any good, but I bumped into it while looking into the Oxford History of the United States title with a very similar name that I mention several posts above this one.

[ame="http://www.amazon.com/America-Empire-Liberty-History-United/dp/046501500X/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1278910216&sr=8-2"]Amazon.com: America, Empire of Liberty: A New History of the United States (9780465015009): David Reynolds: Books[/ame]

2. yasik19

yasik19 Moderator
    Staff Member

Chelsea
    Ukraine
    Oct 21, 2004
    Daly City
    Any recommendations on the history of South Africa and appartheid?

3. THE HUN

THE HUN New Member

Jan 9, 2010
    Club:
    VfB Stuttgart
    Did I click two times? Sorry about that

4. ceezmad

ceezmad Member+

Mar 4, 2010
    Chicago
    Club:
    Chicago Red Stars
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    many great recommendations.

For Latin America Revolutions (from Spain) I recommend:

Americanos: Latin America's Struggle for Independence by John Charles Chasteen.

short book, only 200 pages, but covers the whole struggle (not much Caribbean) of Latin America (includes Brazil) in context of what was going on in Spain with the Napoleonic wars.

5. FitzCoffee

FitzCoffee New Member

Oct 9, 2007
    Colorado
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    If there are any fans of the American Revolutionary War...:

[​IMG]

6. DoctorD

DoctorD Member+

Sep 29, 2002
    MidAtlantic
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    [ame="http://www.amazon.com/Kingmakers-Invention-Modern-Middle-East/dp/0393337707/ref=reader_auth_dp#_"]Amazon.com: Kingmakers: The Invention of the Modern Middle East (9780393337709): Shareen Blair Brysac, Karl E. Meyer: Books[/ame] - Brysac and Meyer

Not a conventional history, but one of minibiographies of some of the key players. Sometimes you have to read two or three biographies to figure out exactly what happened, but an enjoyable read.

They have some criticisms/suggestions for the US at the end of the book, but, really, it is hard to develop a logical strategy for that part of the world as long as the oil is present. Once it's gone, however, no one will care about it anymore.

7. DoctorJones24

DoctorJones24 Member

Aug 26, 1999
    OH
    Cool, I'm going to grab a copy of this. I've got their earlier book Tournament of Shadows, which was quite good.

This one sounds a lot like John Keay's Sowing the Wind: The Seeds of Conflict in the Middle East, which begins with some fun stories about Bell, Lawrence, and Hogarth and the Arab Bureau.

[ame="http://www.amazon.com/Sowing-Wind-Keay-John/dp/0393335089/ref=ntt_at_ep_dpi_4"]Amazon.com: Sowing The Wind (9780393335088): Keay John: Books[/ame]

8. bigredfutbol

bigredfutbol Moderator
    Staff Member

Sep 5, 2000
    Woodbridge, VA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Read these last week:

[ame="http://www.amazon.com/Plain-Honest-Men-American-Constitution/dp/0812976843/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1296225759&sr=1-1"]Amazon.com: Plain, Honest Men: The Making of the American Constitution (9780812976847): Richard Beeman: Books[/ame]

[ame="http://www.amazon.com/Civil-War-1812-American-Citizens/dp/1400042658/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1296225692&sr=1-1"]Amazon.com: The Civil War of 1812: American Citizens, British Subjects, Irish Rebels, & Indian Allies (9781400042654): Alan Taylor: Books[/ame]

Both excellent reads. "Plain Honest Men" should be required reading for anyone who treats the Constitution as a holy text which we mere mortals are only fit to slavishly follow without question. The book understands what a monumental and lasting achievement the Constitution is, but more crucially the author "gets" why that is so, and shows how it came to be. The long battles and seemingly endless compromises to craft the finished product are the context that too many Americans are unaware of. This is a nice, updated telling of a story that's been told before but still needs to get through to a lot more of our fellow citizens.

"The Civil War of 1812" is a history of the War of 1812 on the border area between Canada and the USA. It's a study of how fluid and undefined the "border" was--not just the physical boundary between the young Republic and the British holdings in North America, but also between the citizens of that young country and the subjects of the British Crown living in Canada. In Taylor's telling, the war settled some issues once and for all--after it was over, the border was much more clearly defined culturally and politically as well as physically--national identities were stronger, and even as Americans now felt more "American" Canadians also had a stronger identity and a stronger attachment to faraway London. The local concerns and economic interests which had previously dominated the region and dictated the fluid nature of "national" identity were now trumped by identification with a larger community, the USA and the British Empire.

I'm not really doing either book justice but they both were excellent reads.

9. Revolt

Revolt Member+

Jun 16, 1999
    Davis, CA
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Fictional history, but Neal Stephson's Baroque Cycle is an excellent read. His writing style is really unique. This is easily the best of the books (its a series) I've read from him:

[ame="http://www.amazon.com/gp/reader/0060833165/ref=sib_dp_pt#reader-link"][​IMG][/ame][ame="http://www.amazon.com/Quicksilver-Baroque-Cycle-Neal-Stephenson/dp/0060833165/ref=ntt_at_ep_dpi_5"][/ame]

10. DoyleG

DoyleG Member+

CanPL
    Canada
    Jan 11, 2002
    YEG-->YYJ-->YWG-->YYB
    Club:
    FC Edmonton
    Nat'l Team:
    Canada
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Both of these histories deal with the African Front in World War I, where the capture of German colonies was the main objective. Farwell's book covers the who conflict in Africa in general devoting time to the campaigns in all the colonies and the Maritz Rebellion in South Africa. Paice covers main the East African campaign, where German forces were not really brought to defeat until the actual war came to an end. It was why there was much respect for the German colonial forces as they were never defeated by military means.

11. HerthaBerwyn

HerthaBerwyn Member+

May 24, 2003
    Chicago
    Has anyone ever read Francis Parkman? Im considering the 7 years war book Montcalm and Wolfe. Recommendations or otherwise?

[​IMG]

The cover is certainly riveting. Ive heard you cant tell a book by it though.

12. Real Corona

Real Corona Member+

Jan 19, 2008
    Colorado
    Club:
    FC Metalist Kharkiv
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

If I remember right, it's a really old book that was based too much on secondary sources. So it's more interesting to read as sort of history as it was written way back when than a, I want to know what happened sort of book. It also takes some liberties with the truth, which is not that uncommon for 19th century writers, as he tends to try to dramatize events for the sake of the reader rather than the truth. It is considered, unfortunately some might argue, a seminal book in Canadian history, so yeah, why not take a read?

13. party1234

party1234 Member

May 4, 2010
    Riverside, Ca
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The Jew in the Modern World. A great primary source text tracing the evolution of antisemitism in Europe.

For those not into true historical books, but rather the "names, dates, quick facts" type of history, I recommend Schaum's Outline of Modern European History

For the more philosophical approach, The History of Madness by Foucault is great. Its his first major work, and you really can see where his thoughts on power originated. A good history/philosophy combination, throwing in come critical theory for good measure.

Benedict Anderson's Imagined Communities. This is the true seminal work about nationalism, and a really great read.

14. party1234

party1234 Member

May 4, 2010
    Riverside, Ca
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Nelson Mandela's Long Walk to Freedom is a good work. Obviously appartheid through his point of view, yet a fascinating read.

15. NER_MCFC

NER_MCFC Member

May 23, 2001
    Cambridge, MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    [​IMG]
    The Gun is a history of machine guns with a focus on the AK47. I am putting it here in particular because of the chapter on the development of the M16, which provides a valuable perspective on Vietnam that I hadn't seen before.

16. The Guardian

The Guardian Member+

Jul 31, 2010
    Club:
    --other--
    I recommend this one to you lads:

48 Liberal Lies About American History (That you probably learned in school)

by Professor Larry Schweikart

17. ceezmad

ceezmad Member+

Mar 4, 2010
    Chicago
    Club:
    Chicago Red Stars
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I alway knew that we did not own any slaves and never killed any Native Americans. all left wing lies! :D

18. The Guardian

The Guardian Member+

Jul 31, 2010
    Club:
    --other--
    Here's is one No.1 New York Times Bestseller I can't recommend highly enough:

Liberal Fascism - The Secret History of the Left from Mussolini to the Politics of Meaning

By Jonah Goldberg

It's chock full of cracking stuff - chapters on:
    Everything You Know About Fascism Is Wrong
    Adolf Hitler - Man of the Left
    Woodrow Wilson and the Birth of Liberal Fascism
    Franklin Roosevelt's Fascist New Deal
    The 1960s: Fascism Takes to the Streets
    From Kennedey's Myth to Johnson's Dream: Liberal Fascism and the Cult of the State

Truly a Blockbuster worthy of the term. 5 stars - The Guardian

19. schrutebuck

schrutebuck Member+

Jul 26, 2007
    A People's History of the United States by Howard Zinn. 5 stars.

20. party1234

party1234 Member

May 4, 2010
    Riverside, Ca
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Fascism is inherently conservative, hmmm

21. NER_MCFC

NER_MCFC Member

May 23, 2001
    Cambridge, MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    [​IMG]
    The Warmth of Other Suns Isabel Wilkerson

In combination with At the Hands of Persons Unknown: The Lynching of Black America it provides a comprehensive history of race relations in the United States from the end of Reconstruction to the present day.

22. Q*bert Jones III

Q*bert Jones III The People's Poet

Feb 12, 2005
    Woodstock, NY
    Club:
    DC United
    I just finished a book about the Donner party. I kept misreading the word "delirious" as "delicious." So I didn't like it that much.

Also, I didn't want this thread falling off the front page.