Historic World Wide Balon d'Or 23 player short lists

Discussion in 'The Beautiful Game' started by Tom Stevens, Jan 8, 2016.

1. Titanlux

Titanlux Member+

Barcelona
    Spain
    Nov 27, 2017
    Do not you dare to make the 2018 list?

2. msioux75

msioux75 Member+

Jan 8, 2006
    Lima, Peru
    Argentinian inside forward Diego García has 2 nominations and 1 HM at mid 1930s. This, made him one of the very top SA players at that time, alongside (Nasazzi, Lazzati, Varallo, Sastre, Ciocca, Benítez Caceres & Cherro. Arguably Leonidas, D.Da Guia & Bernabe Ferreyra to complete a SA top-10). I'm excluding Oriundis.

In my book, I had him as a good player with a short peak. Maybe the few international matches affected his legacy or I'm missing something about him, but I don't see him in that group of top players.

3. ManiacButcher

ManiacButcher Member

Palmeiras
    Argentina
    May 23, 2004
    Brasil
    Club:
    Palmeiras Sao Paulo
    Nat'l Team:
    Brazil
    Well, I’ll gladly refresh your mind with all your non-sense:

“There's always a bunch of Libertadores heroes or other nobodies thrown in that weren't even starters for their NT.”
    “By this point I'm not surprised there's a group of South American revisionists with an agenda of building a utopia of exaggerated American greatness
    “a South American mentality which is to have a massive chip on your shoulder towards Europe, and to use every imaginable statistic as a crutch to prove it.”
    “The Brazilian "league" of the time was a hodge-podge 40+ village team competition with a format that made sense to nobody.”
    “I know it's a famously random list from a bunch of baseball-playing commies, but still.”
    “Unfortunately the Americentrists have muddied the online waters to the degree their distorted viewpoint will affect everybody if people don't know to look out for it.”

Crazy conspiracies, generalizations, stereotypes…

You are doing such a great job reinterpreting soccer history that Fifa will reclaim the 3 titles from Brazil (the jungle villagers that fooled the whole world. lol) and give them to the rightful owners: Sweden, Czechoslovakia and Italy.
    (Uruguay’s titles won’t be reclaimed because both finalists were sudamericans. Lol)

A continent with 9 WC titles and filled with nobodies, village teams, baseball-playing commies, latin liars…
    It's just logical that the Jules Rimet clearly belongs to Europe. Go Euro Pride, go!

4. Perú FC

Perú FC Member+

Nov 16, 2007
    Lima, Perú
    The 2017 list is based on the 2016-17 European regular season plus the international games of the calendar year.

The 2018 World Cup will be included in the following list (2018).

annoyedbyneedoflogin repped this.
  5. Perú FC

Perú FC Member+

Nov 16, 2007
    Lima, Perú
    Of course, I'm already at work.

I referred to the final list because that's my last attempt of the 2017 list with the help of other opinions and points of view (with the final inclusion of Robben instead of Dani Alves).

Titanlux repped this.
  6. PuckVanHeel

PuckVanHeel BigSoccer Yellow Card

Oct 4, 2011
    Club:
    Feyenoord
    As great as Cristiano is, one might also make the argument and observation he takes something away from the scoring prowess (and assists) of his team-mates in attack and midfield.

Of course it is bizarre (and at the same time not surprising as others have said when correcting me) Ronaldo has more CL goals than all but seven/eight teams in their entire existence.

7. annoyedbyneedoflogin

Juventus Football Clube Ajax Mineiro de Deportes
    Jun 11, 2012
    The Annoying 2018 top 23

Bale
    Casemiro
    Cavani
    Coutinho
    CR7
    De Bruyne
    Fekir
    Granqvist
    Griezmann
    Hazard
    Isco
    Kane
    Kimmich
    Luan (Guilherme de Jesus Vieira)
    Marcelo
    Mbappé
    Messi
    Modric
    Neymar
    Ramos (Gentile award)
    Salah
    Varane
    #23 Michael Ngadeu-Ngadjui (CAF winner) or Ibrahim Sehic (best gk)

Podium
    1 Neymar
    2 Messi
    3 Griezmann

Perú FC and PuckVanHeel repped this.
  8. annoyedbyneedoflogin

Jun 11, 2012
    The Annoying 2017 top 23

Alcántara
    Alexis Sánchez
    Casemiro
    Cavani
    Claudio Bravo
    CR7
    Dani Alves
    Dzeko
    José Jiménez
    Kane
    Lemar
    Marcelo
    Mbappé
    Mertens
    Messi
    Miguel Borja
    Ndidi
    Neymar
    Pogba
    Ramos
    Robben
    Van Dijk
    #23 one of Sandro, Bonucci, Isco, Modric, Christian Fuchs, Kanté, Hazard

Podium
    1 CR7
    2 Messi
    3 Mbappé

Perú FC repped this.
  9. PuckVanHeel

Oct 4, 2011
    Club:
    Feyenoord
    @annoyedbyneedoflogin, can we already fill 2019 with 15 Real Madrid players? ;)

Show Spoiler
    Unbelievable how the refereeing continues to favor them (incl. almost all 50/50 decisions), including waving off attacks because players are offside in their own half (while Real Madrid players can of course continue 'because we have VAR for review'). This is not funny, and it is an established pattern now. But that's what you get when the kingmakers themselves own the competition (and the media rights holders have an interest to rug it under the carpet and not "discredit uefa"). :oops: Time for another Football Leaks... o_O Sorry... VAR was only meant for "obvious errors" anyway, right?

10. annoyedbyneedoflogin

Jun 11, 2012
    I definitely picked a fair share of those, didn't I? I did leave out Kroos, German player of the year.
    I wonder why @Perú FC excluded Casemiro, although his 2018 isn't out yet.

Without another CL win, the Annoying 2019 23 wil probably shift towards a different team.

A counter question,
    for my 2017 podium I found the Barcelona - Juventus match up crucial. Would you agree with the perception that it seemed that Barcelona wasn't collected enough/too rushed to ever beat those guys?

11. Titanlux

Titanlux Member+

Barcelona
    Spain
    Nov 27, 2017
    Here is the accumulated ranking of the 1960s based on Tom Stevens' annual rankings:

1.- Pelé (Brasil)
    2.- Eusebio (Portugal)
    3.- Charlton, Bobby (Inglaterra)
    4.- Suárez, Luis (España)
    5.- Best (Irlanda del Norte)
    Puskas (Hungría)
    7.- Rivera (Italia)
    8.- Spencer (Ecuador)
    9.- Albert (Hungría)
    10.- Garrincha (Brasil)
    11.- Coluna (Portugal)
    12.- Ademir da Guia (Brasil)
    Amancio (España)
    Sívori (Argentina)
    Voronin (URSS)
    16.- Law (Escocia)
    17.- Greaves (Inglaterra)
    Yashin (URSS)
    19.- Mazzola, Sandro (Italia)
    20.- Riva (Italia)
    21.- Masopust (Checoslovaquia)
    Rocha, Pedro (Uruguay)
    Tostao (Brasil)
    24.- Moore (Inglaterra)
    25.- Seeler (Alemania)
    26.- Artime (Argentina)
    27.- Beckenbauer (Alemania)
    Di Stéfano (Argentina)
    Facchetti (Italia)
    Joya (Perú)
    31.- Johnstone, Jimmy (Escocia)
    32.- Gerson (Brasil)
    Pepe (Brasil)
    Rattin (Argentina)
    Schnellinger (Alemania)
    36.- Verón, Juan Ramón (Argentina)
    37.- Carlos Alberto (Brasil)
    Gento (España)
    39.- Dzajic (Yugoslavia)
    40.- Cruyff (Holanda)
    Jair Da Costa (Brasil)
    Jairzinho (Brasil)

12. schwuppe

schwuppe Member+

Sep 17, 2009
    Club:
    FC Kryvbas Kryvyi Rih
    Well, at least the "there won't be anything to discuss with VAR" argument used by anti-VAR people has clearly been disproven by now.

13. AD78

AD78 Member+

Jul 17, 2013
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    ...and from my point of view Modric warrants hs high position in 2017, he was great that year and arguably the key cog in the Real Madrid machine.

Perú FC and annoyedbyneedoflogin repped this.
  14. AD78

AD78 Member+

Jul 17, 2013
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    I heard a rumour UEFA will had them the CL trophy in a few weeks to save time at end of the season.

PuckVanHeel repped this.
  15. schwuppe

schwuppe Member+

Sep 17, 2009
    Club:
    FC Kryvbas Kryvyi Rih
    Looks like it was technically the correct call to make, ref decision in favor of Real and Barca will (understandably) always cause outrage.
    You could argue that a situation like that would never get called without VAR, because it's to difficulty to notice in real time.

16. PuckVanHeel

Oct 4, 2011
    Club:
    Feyenoord

I wouldn't bet against it. It's now par for course they get frequently outplayed in numerous big CL matches and then get a number of favorable decisions (not just one) in a match (foul in build-up to 1-2 that left Modric free from his 'guard' also crucial).

Usually UEFA forbids to make comments, but now they immediately released a statement... Also odd.

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/footbal...real-madrid-sucker-punch-defending-champions/

It might force them to suspend Ramos for two matches.

Sometimes I'm puzzled how Ramos can be so amazingly successful. As mentioned and spelled out on 'pes stats' (that I saw ~ two months ago) his positioning, timing and such is complete garbage although yesterday he was maybe their best player overall.

I'd say this perhaps matters for the comparison with CR7, but struggle to see how it impacts the comparison with Mbappe. As always, I like to see your unconventional and individual ideas about who played well and made a difference.

AD78 repped this.
  17. PuckVanHeel

Oct 4, 2011
    Club:
    Feyenoord
    #1467 PuckVanHeel, Feb 14, 2019
    Last edited: Feb 14, 2019
    What are the most notable omissions by Glanville? Zico surely one of them. Maldini (by 1997)? I see btw some minor factual errors in the write-ups. Notable British omissions? Keegan obviously one of them (his conflicting case is known, despite decisive roles when Liverpool and Hamburg reached EC finals).

18. annoyedbyneedoflogin

Jun 11, 2012
    Well, Messi is still above Mbappé but Neymar isn't. I'd like to think that having 2 podium players in 1 team shouldn't have these "a bridge too far" difficulties.

However, I just now have fallen out of love with Whoscored. So I am reviewing my lists.

19. carlito86

carlito86 Member+

Jan 11, 2016
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    I agree regarding Ramos but these are not his strengths and actually never have been
    When he was RB for Spain puyol use to cover his defensive frailties and he was made to look less error prone
    For Madrid there is no such protection and he does not know how to react When he is put into uncomfortable situations(his red card tally even by the standards of so called hatchet men is absurd)

For Ramos his strengths are leadership,defensive clearance with his head and generally speaking all types of headers
    He also has a knack for scoring important goals on more than 1 occasion(and not just in the champions league)
    Strangely Ramos will be remembered as an all time defender for qualities not necessarily related to defending

20. peterhrt

peterhrt Member+

Oct 21, 2015
    Club:
    Leeds United AFC
    Other notable British omissions include Greaves, Morton and Johnstone.

From elsewhere:

Rummenigge, Matthaus, Netzer
    Friedenreich, Leonidas
    Moreno, Pedernera
    JL Andrade, Scarone
    Rijkaard
    Kubala
    Bican
    Masopust
    Valentino Mazzola
    Djajic
    Erico
    Figueroa
    Cubillas

Perú FC, msioux75 and PuckVanHeel repped this.
  21. annoyedbyneedoflogin

Jun 11, 2012
    After getting annoyed with Whoscored, changes are being made. And I am adding an XI, which somewhat influences the selection of the 23 players.

For 2018

Agüero
    Bale
    Casemiro
    Cavani
    Coutinho
    CR7
    De Bruyne
    Fekir
    Granqvist
    Griezmann
    Hazard
    Isco
    Kane
    Kimmich
    Marcelo
    Mbappé
    Messi
    Modric
    Neymar
    Ramos
    Salah
    Sehic
    Varane

Podium
    1 Neymar
    2 Messi
    3 Griezmann

XI
    1 Sehic
    2 Kimmich
    3 Marcelo
    4 Varane
    5 Ramos
    6 Modric
    7 Salah
    8 Neymar
    9 Griezmann
    10 Messi
    11 CR7

22. AD78

AD78 Member+

Jul 17, 2013
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    I am aware this is an old one and we have discussed before around how this year for the Ballon d'or was a career award for Albert rather than necessarily a great year.

The more I dig around this year three names seem to pop out ahead of others, the fact that none of them challenged Albert for the Ballon d'or award was more to do their age and the fact that were less known outside their own country and this was their first big season which probably kept them far lower in voting than they perhaps should have been.

Best - Aged 20 for most of the season, United won the league, he was their best player, Charlton took a lot of votes that year from United most probably off the back of the previous season where he won the Ballon d'or but Best was United's main man. Other than the famous night in Lisbon beating Benfica in 66 quarter finals, perhaps not as well know outside of UK.

Muller - This really was his break through season, 21 for most of the season, top scorer in Bundesliga with 28 goals, won the German Cup and Bayern won their first European competition with Cup winners Cup and scored 43 goals in all competitions, clear how highly regarded in Germany as he was Player of the Year.

Cruyff - The more I read about this season the better I think it was, despite being 19 for most of the season turning 20 in April, it was becoming clear he was a special special talent, Dutch League and Cup double for Ajax, Cruyff was top scorer with 33 goals and 41 in all competitions. A big stand out performance was in the European Cup knocking out much fancied English Champions Liverpool team winning 5-1 in Amsterdam and then Cruyff scoring two at Anfield in a 2-2 draw when Liverpool Cruyff scored twice goals, many an old Liverpool fan would state how good he was over the two legs.

23. annoyedbyneedoflogin

Jun 11, 2012

Alcántara
    Kroos
    Cavani
    CR7
    Dani Alves
    Dzeko
    Isco
    José Jiménez
    Kane
    Kanté
    Lemar
    Luan (Guilherme de Jesus Vieira)
    Marcelo
    Mbappé
    Mertens
    Messi
    Modric
    Neymar
    Olsen
    Pogba
    Ramos
    Robben
    Salah

Podium
    1 CR7
    2 Messi
    3 Mbappé

XI
    1 Robin Olsen
    2 Dani Alves
    3 Marcelo
    4 José Jiménez
    5 Ramos
    6 Modric
    7 Salah
    8 Neymar
    9 Mbappé
    10 Messi
    11 CR7

24. AD78

AD78 Member+

Jul 17, 2013
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Pogba over Hazard? Hazard was generally regarded as second best player in the PL that year behind Kante where Pogba had a very indifferent first season for Man United as they finished sixth.

annoyedbyneedoflogin repped this.
  25. annoyedbyneedoflogin

Jun 11, 2012

Alexis Sánchez
    Aubameyang
    Aurier
    Bale
    Benzema
    Casemiro
    CR7
    Di Maria