Historic World Wide Balon d'Or 23 player short lists

Discussion in 'The Beautiful Game' started by Tom Stevens, Jan 8, 2016.

1. Perú FC

Perú FC Member+

Nov 16, 2007
    Lima, Perú
    Well, that's clearly because we don't measure his level at the club level in the same way, not because I give him a very high value to the international stage.

2. Perú FC

Perú FC Member+

Nov 16, 2007
    Lima, Perú
    Currently I notice a greater tendency to Zico over Garrincha in more "educated" circles than the common (and I think with overwhelming reasons), while Moreno is even quoted alongside Di Stéfano (or his equivalent in a previous generation), so, yes, he's really a not uncommon possibility.

Zico and Moreno are just only usually ignored due to a certain lack of knowledge, ever by only knowing about World Cup winners or by not knowing the previous movement to the 1950's/1960's, when the current continental tournaments at club level appeared (information not so common for most).

3. carlito86

carlito86 Member+

Jan 11, 2016
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    We both agreed that zidane and George best achieved roughly the same amount of world class seasons(5 each give or take)
    You also agree best reached a phenomenon level in 67/68 whilst zidane did not

Therefore the tie breaker can only be zidanes NT career
    Or maybe I misjudged your assessment.do you actually think zidane had a comparable club career to George best
    If so then why?

4. Perú FC

Perú FC Member+

Nov 16, 2007
    Lima, Perú
    Actually, I answered it more accurately in the thread Best football players of all-time:

In bold I mean almost exclusively at their level at the club level.

5. PuckVanHeel

PuckVanHeel BigSoccer Yellow Card

Oct 4, 2011
    Club:
    Feyenoord
    #1330 PuckVanHeel, Jan 30, 2019
    Last edited: Jan 30, 2019
    Ah the usual 'the educated vs lack of knowledge' ploy.

So educated that he failed to address previous discussions on Zico (by south americans as vegan 10), and where he used to be placed. The truth bearer facade has to be maintained.

The educated are here represented by fantasist places with an IQ of 80 while the fools have studied journalism or business at spots as Bologna and Paris.

"Only knowing about world cup winners" is again a laughable claim. You should check (you won't) some all-time attempts from the 70s and 80s.

I will not enter a discussion with you but since you try to create an elevated position I couldn't restrain myself here, for this instance.

6. schwuppe

schwuppe Member+

Sep 17, 2009
    Club:
    FC Kryvbas Kryvyi Rih
    People really seem to put waaaaay to much into opinions of local writers (but for some reason especially in this case, not when Brits or whoever else does it).

Tropeiro repped this.
  7. Tropeiro

Tropeiro Member+

Jun 1, 2018
    Do some German media have a list of those 100+ best players?

8. Perú FC

Perú FC Member+

Nov 16, 2007
    Lima, Perú
    And it's usual because it's an element that we should always keep in mind to quote and be guided by references.

Who is "he"? and how does that fit into the answer?

I think this in absurd idea (or irony). For the context of the topic the difference on the educated opinion and the one that does not is how much research and detail there is in each case and the logic that is used to make comparisons. Nothing about IQ's or specific professions.

To be honest, I'm not sure what you're responding to at this point.

"Only knowing about World Cup winners" refers to the common opinion that only knows well about the World Cups and restricted their knowledge to them and to the winners, a trend that is common about the most of football spectators.

It's not a problem, I always think it's good discuss with you, but as I mentioned you before I think your ideas are somewhat disorganized despite having good backup information and you lose some control when you personalize it.

9. Perú FC

Perú FC Member+

Nov 16, 2007
    Lima, Perú
    What is certain is that the comparisons are complicated with Moreno for the time he had to live (with Argentina excluding itself from the World Cup, during the II World War with his European peers without much activity or emaciated and sustained basically just only by a local "golden period" in Argentina and the continental competition).

I can understand the doubt, but certainly there are not so few circles that place Moreno so high and referring to opinions of his time. Something happened with him and the way he impacted that didn't happen with all the Argentines of his generation.

10. PuckVanHeel

Oct 4, 2011
    Club:
    Feyenoord
    Just to briefly point out the issue;

A continental competition where Argentina was dominating & winning without him, Brazil was below par (or refused to play, in two of the three tournaments he won) and also Uruguay was in a down phase for much of the 1940s (their 1942 - 1950 results against Brazil and Argentina were piss poor; elo rating clearly lower as the 1920s, 1930s and 1950s). Brazil became much better and better equipped in the 1950s.

There was virtually no international competition, but all of this is groundhog day.

11. schwuppe

schwuppe Member+

Sep 17, 2009
    Club:
    FC Kryvbas Kryvyi Rih
    I have some issues with that.

This seems to be a common occurrence in other countries too. GB is a good example I think.
    It's known that a lot of oldtimers thought Matthews & Co were superior to the generation that followed with Charlton and Best. And even older writters thought that Matthews, Finney etc can't hold a candle the generation prior to that and so on....

I remember @comme making a post about that, but I can't find it right now.

Another thing is Di Stefano only played a small fraction of his career in Argentina, so they might compare Moreno to the young version of Di Stefano and haven't seen him much during his peak. I also noticed based on general comments that players who leave for Europe and play for a NT aren't exactly popular with the locals....

carlito86 repped this.
  12. peterhrt

peterhrt Member+

Oct 21, 2015
    Club:
    Leeds United AFC
    A few more:

International Business Times (USA, 2014): 34
    sporcle.com (USA, 2018, quiz with countries and playing positions but names blank to fill in): 32
    Miguel Delaney (Irish writer for Independent, 2011): 29
    David Brooks (UK, 2002): 29
    Bleacher Report (USA, 2011): 26
    Tim Vigon (UK, 1999): 20

Updated averages:

South American average: 44 (only one publication)
    North American average: 31
    European average: 27
    Globally compiled average: 32 (IFFHS and PDG BigSoccer)
    Overall average: 29

Some notable individual rankings:

IBT has Zidane at #5 and Maldini at #12.
    Bleacher has Cruyff #1, Platini #4, Ronaldo (Brazil) #6, Meazza #8, Zarra #16.
    Delaney has Maradona #1, Garrincha #6, Meazza #10.

13. carlito86

carlito86 Member+

Jan 11, 2016
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    #1338 carlito86, Jan 31, 2019
    Last edited: Jan 31, 2019
    Zidane lost the ballon D’Or to Micheal Owen in 2000/01
    Bearing in mind this was a striker who never scored 20 PL goals in a single season (in an era where scoring 20 PL goals was common place)

From what I’ve personally seen Raul and figo both had their most productive seasons and were on a completely different plateau to Zidane.
    And there were others aswell(from Serie A Francisco totti was the clear best this season)
    Personally I think your categorisation of world class is way too inclusive and not strict enough
    World class can only and should only be the very best performers in the World during any given season

George best finished top 10 in the 1969 ballon D’Or for a Manchester United team that finished 11th place in the league
    I think this guy is totally underrated could you just imagine if he’d been a part of a winning machine like zidanes juventus.
    Also Let’s not pretend like your assessment is based on anything other than ballon dor placements

When Zidane was playing for a mid table struggling team in France he was NO ONE
    Finishing 25 or 26th place in the ballon D’Or ,failing for his NT,did nothing in the champions league etc (and he was already older than Best in 69)

Recognition in the ballon D’Or usually comes when you are part of a winning team
    (Or at the bare minimum playing for a team that progresses deep into the champions league and is competing for top 4 placements in the league)

Zidanes ballon D’Or rankings are totally misleading
    In 1997/98 2001/02 and 2002/03 he was probably a top 5 player in the World
    In all other seasons in his career he was inconsistent as hell
    For Gods sake Zidane finished 5th place in the 2006 ballon D’Or with literally 4 less votes than Ronaldinho
    So the ballon dor “bible” would actually lead us to believe that Ronaldinho was only marginally better than Zidane in 2005/06 LOL
    Zidane didn’t even play half of 2006

Andres iniesta and zinedine Zidane are literally the most overrated players in ballon D’Or history bar non(they must get 5 votes for every useless flick or sideway pass)

14. ManiacButcher

ManiacButcher Member

Palmeiras
    Argentina
    May 23, 2004
    Brasil
    Club:
    Palmeiras Sao Paulo
    Nat'l Team:
    Brazil
    Yes, it will be a fun exercise to nitpick all those games and find solid reasons/excuses to some of the european losses. ;)
    But you'll be missing the bigger picture here.
    This is not a attack at european soccer.
    All these games are here to give (to complement) a broader context to brazilian soccer history (and to some extent Sudamerican soccer).
    We are talking about a big number of 138 games with 67 wins to brazilian teams, 38 wins for europeans and 33 ties. A pretty solid record considering that it is 8 Teams from the same country against a whole continent.
    This shows the depth of talent Brazil had during those decades (50s, 60s and 70s) with different generations spread between a good number of teams.
    And another extent to this is Brazil's record in WCs [50'-2nd; 54'-5th; 58'-1st; 62'-1st; 66'-11th; 70'-1st; 74'-4th; 78-3rd).

And all this also reflects on other sudamerican teams because these same brazilian teams (and generations) played against great teams like Bilardo's Estudiantes, Spencer's Penarol, Esparrago's Nacional, Marzolini's Boca Juniors and many others.

None of all those games were for European Champion Clubs' Cup/Champions League, but they must have some value. I think.

Tropeiro repped this.
  15. Ariaga II

Ariaga II Member

Dec 8, 2018
    Not gonna lie, those were some impressive numbers, and good job in digging them up. However, as back-up for an all-around American superiority or equality in the world of football they're flimsy.

As an aside, Placar's view on big clubs is indeed quite weird. Porto was nothing on an European level before the 80s, and Benfica is suspect in many eras, too. Would have been nice to have full results. They probably omitted several clubs that were stronger than Porto.

Anyway, the quality of Brazilian football in the 50s and 60s isn't exactly news, though there are factors, like the disastrous NT-tour of '63, that raises questions on exactly how deep the well was. But to draw a parallel on all-around South American quality based on results in the Libertadores or wherever is pushing it. Except for maybe Penarol, none of those teams you mentioned were seen as anything special in Europe. Above average maybe, but any major European nation had teams like those. Estudiantes a great team? Maybe if you want to go on a rampage downtown. I'm surprised people keep mentioning this team as anything but an absolute embarrassment and the shame of football.

For a comparison, here's a list of teams that Real Madrid lost to in the EC during the ADS years:
    Partizan, Rapid Wien, Vasas, Nice, Juventus, Anderlecht, Milan (+the obvious Benfica and Inter). A Real Madrid loss wasn't anything shocking, it happened all the time. Yet I don't see French and Belgians completely infesting the Ballon d'or votes. Uruguayans and Argentinians don't get to coast off Brazilian results any more than the Franco-Belgians get to coast off Real Madrid results. Since we're talking about the bigger picture here.

I don't see why it's so difficult to admit it's impossible for three countries to have 50%, or even 30%, of the world's best footballers. Especially when two of them struggled to even make it past the group stage in a WC.

16. PuckVanHeel

Oct 4, 2011
    Club:
    Feyenoord
    #1341 PuckVanHeel, Jan 31, 2019
    Last edited: Jan 31, 2019
    I'm not missing the bigger picture at all.

In the same way European teams couldn't care for the Intercontinental Cup (not as much) after the late 60s/early 70s (even today many more South American fans travel to the Club World Cup as European fans), many of those friendlies were played with lopsided motivations and priorities. That is the true bigger picture here.

South American (sports) media have always been shameful in manipulating realities and what we would call today 'fake news'. That are harsh words, but it is how it is. They aren't known for their accurate fact keeping. 'El Grafico' derives their title from their playfulness with reality and making things evocative. Those tactics have been well known, they can be without shame in their selectivity when their own teams/guys are concerned. That piece was made with the intention 'look at how good we are' and they typically go at great lengths to do so. The list is very selective in which teams they include, and when. Also this history with 'the truth' when their own guys are concerned is again part of the bigger picture.

And yes, sometimes they even do that against each other, so to speak. In 1981 El Grafico was so smart (as commented by World Soccer) to intentionally stage the vote for player of the year before the 1981 IC, so that Zico didn't win this.

Typically, when I showed and thoroughly proved in the past Placar themselves did not believe Zico was among the best in the world during the 1970s, this was brushed aside by the usual suspects (with even some insults). Then most of those dudes are suddenly unable to process the words by Placar themselves (as shown: Placar in 1976, 1977 claimed JC14 was the world's best after he had played matches there, and not Zico).

... which I said above a few times (also that Brazil entered #1 in Elo at times & were one of the pre-tournament favorites)....As said by me, they improved drastically in the 1950s.

Off the pitch as well ;) :D

https://medium.com/@paalpot75/joão-havelange-the-immortal-emperor-of-world-football-7963084aa3f1

17. ManiacButcher

ManiacButcher Member

Palmeiras
    Argentina
    May 23, 2004
    Brasil
    Club:
    Palmeiras Sao Paulo
    Nat'l Team:
    Brazil
    Great Harokin! And your evil conspiracies. :)
    I'll try to be as simple and concise with you (Because I know you really well from xtratime forums and to attack south american soccer is one of your favorite hobbies ;) ).

Flimsy? It was never my intention to claim an all-around American superiority. I let this perfect clear. It's just to show the depth of south american talents.
    This evil conspiracy of an all-around American superiority or equality in the world of football is your paranoia only, it is happenning only in your head. Please stop that.
    We are here just to highlight great players.

Here I really do not know what were the factors that they considered. But I think they must have made some kind of all time table. Afterall, Porto has 2 EC titles. That's why i think they made some kind of all time table. Again, I'm not sure.

I've posted the all time results against all european teams before. I'll post here again.
    The advantage still favours the brazilian teams.
    Overall: 1560 G - 830 W (Brazilian wins) - 344 T - 386 L (European wins)

Please explain to me how someone admit a claim that he never made? How?
    No one here said that it must be 50/50. PerúFC already showed the numbers (percentage) of players in previous posts. It favours Europe. It also favours Europe in all all-time lists posted here. All of that is a clear signal of european superiority. And I have nothing against that. I love european soccer.

Just please stop this annoying paranoia of South American superiority. Maybe it was fun in xtratime forums but here is really annoying.
    The focus of my post was to show the strength of sudamerican soccer. Not it's superiority.
    That's all. :)

18. Ariaga II

Ariaga II Member

Dec 8, 2018
    Yeah well, I love South American soccer more than you love European soccer, so there.

There isn't a South American conspiracy, just a South American mentality which is to have a massive chip on your shoulder towards Europe, and to use every imaginable statistic as a crutch to prove it. The Intercontinental Cup, as Puck mentioned, is a favorite. Using IC results to prove anything is like using the old UEFA Super-cup to prove the CWC was stronger than the EC.

Unfortunately this relentless online lobbying is wearing down even quality posters and causing them to buy into the illusion. Anyone who questions this utopia is handily dismissed as biased or eurocentric.

You don't think this type of poster exist? Just look at the history section on Xtratime, and the legitimate psychos who have turned it into a complete wasteland with their horsecrap threads. You're right, this isn't Xtratime, so there's no need for you to play some bargain-basement Ze Da Fiel in order to discredit me. ;)

As for 50/50, yes, it was suggested here as a legitimate ratio. But even a smaller number like one-third would still be completely ridiculous. Happy for you if you're not part of this crew. What ratio would you feel is a fair representation of South Americans in the Ballon nominees?

19. Titanlux

Titanlux Member+

Barcelona
    Spain
    Nov 27, 2017
    I continue to summarize the work done by Tom Stevens. After adding the presence of all players from 1930 to 1939, the total result of the decade is as follows:

1.- Sindelar (Austria)
    2.- Meazza (Italia)
    3.- Sarosi (Hungría)
    4.- Erico (Paraguay)
    5.- Orsi (Argentina)
    6.- Bastin (Inglaterra)
    7.- Nejedly (Checoslovaquia)
    8.- Ferrari (Italia)
    Sastre (Argentina)
    10.- Hapgood (Inglaterra)
    11.- Piola (Italia)
    12.- Braine (Bélgica)
    13.- Moreno (Argentina)
    14.- Avar (Hungría)
    Ferreyra, Bernabé (Argentina)
    James, Alex (Inglaterra)
    Zsengeller (Hungría)
    18.- Planicka (Checoslovaquia)
    19.- Monti (Argentina)
    20.- Andreolo (Uruguay)
    21.- Leónidas (Brasil)
    22.- Brook (Inglaterra)
    Nasazzi (Uruguay)
    24.- Drake (Inglaterra)
    25.- Kostalek (Checoslovaquia)
    26.- Allemandi (Italia)
    Bican (Austria)
    Crooks (Inglaterra)
    Domingos da Guía (Brasil)
    Monzeglio (Italia)
    Nausch (Austria)
    Peucelle (Argentina)
    Quincoces (España)
    Schiavio (Italia)
    Svoboda (Checoslovaquia)
    36.- Szepan (Alemania)
    37.- Carter (Inglaterra)
    Lawton (Inglaterra)
    39.- Binder (Austria)
    40.- Blenkinsop (Inglaterra)
    Combi (Italia)
    Cseh (Hungría)
    De la Mata, Vicente (Argentina)
    García, Diego (Argentina)
    Guaita (Argentina)
    Jack (Inglaterra)
    Lángara (España)
    Puc (Checoslovaquia)
    Varallo (Argentina)
    Zischek (Austria)

20. Titanlux

Titanlux Member+

Barcelona
    Spain
    Nov 27, 2017
    Accumulating the first two decades of the work of Tom Stevens and ordering the players from highest to lowest score, this would be the ranking between 1920 and 1939.

As a curiosity, Europeans: 72.2% (British: 27.8%, Central European: 37%); South Americans: 27.8% (Argentines: 15.7%; Uruguayans: 7.4%).

1.- Meazza Italia
    2.- Sindelar Austria
    3.- Pesek Checoslovaquia
    4.- Gallacher, Hugh Escocia
    5.- Morton Escocia
    6.- Scarone Uruguay
    7.- Orsi Argentina
    8.- Andrade Uruguay
    9.- Sarosi Hungría
    10.- Erico Paraguay
    11.- Bastin Inglaterra
    12.- Jackson, Alex Escocia
    13.- Nejedly Checoslovaquia
    14.- Buchan Inglaterra
    15.- Dean Inglaterra
    16.- Walker, Billy Inglaterra
    17.- Zamora, Ricardo España
    18.- Nasazzi Uruguay
    19.- Orth Hungría
    20.- Jack Inglaterra
    21.- Braine Bélgica
    22.- Petrone Uruguay
    23.- Ferrari Italia
    Sastre Argentina
    25.- James, Alex Inglaterra
    26.- Hapgood Inglaterra
    27.- McGrory Escocia
    28.- Piola Italia
    Samitier España
    30.- Avar Hungría
    31.- Monti Argentina
    32.- Planicka Checoslovaquia
    33.- Seoane Argentina
    34.- Moreno Argentina
    35.- Puc Checoslovaquia
    36.- Braun, Jozsef Hungría
    Friedenreich Brasil
    38.- Schiavio Italia
    39.- Ferreyra, Bernabé Argentina
    Zsengeller Hungría
    41.- Wilson, Andy Escocia
    42.- Andreolo Uruguay
    Konrad, Kalman Hungría
    44.- Leónidas Brasil
    45.- Brook Inglaterra
    46.- Drake Inglaterra
    Schall Austria
    Takacs, Jozsef Hungría
    49.- Libonatti Argentina
    50.- Cherro Argentina
    51.- Morris Inglaterra
    52.- Kostalek Checoslovaquia
    Svoboda Checoslovaquia
    54.- Ferreira, Manuel Argentina
    55.- Blenkinsop Inglaterra
    56.- Allemandi Italia
    Bican Austria
    Crooks Inglaterra
    Domingos da Guía Brasil
    Monzeglio Italia
    Nausch Austria
    Neco Brasil
    Peucelle Argentina
    Quincoces España
    65.- Goodall Inglaterra
    66.- Meiklejohn Escocia
    Molnar Hungría
    Stephenson, Clem Inglaterra
    Szepan Alemania
    Tarasconi Argentina
    71.- Baloncieri Italia
    Carter Inglaterra
    Lawton Inglaterra
    Romano Uruguay
    75.- Varallo Argentina
    76.- Binder Austria
    77.- Alcántara España
    78.- Brown, George Inglaterra
    Caricaberry Argentina
    Chambers, Harry Inglaterra
    Combi Italia
    Cseh Hungría
    De la Mata, Vicente Argentina
    García, Diego Argentina
    Guaita Argentina
    Kelly Inglaterra
    Kohut Hungría
    Kolenaty Checoslovaquia
    Lángara España
    Wieser Austria
    Zischek Austria
    92.- Lehner Alemania
    93.- Blum Austria
    94.- Amílcar Brasil
    Benítez Cáceres Paraguay
    Davies, Len Gales
    De Vecchi Italia
    Ferguson, Hughie Escocia
    García, Enrique Argentina
    Janda Checoslovaquia
    McStay Escocia
    Petit, René Francia
    Piendibene Uruguay
    Rimmer Inglaterra
    Rydell Suecia
    Scott, Elisha Irlanda del Norte
    Sesta Austria
    Smistik Austria

21. AD78

AD78 Member+

Jul 17, 2013
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    ???? Zidane finished 9th that year, hardly losing to Owen, I do admit Owen was very very lucky to win and Raul, Figo and maybe an other couple had a stronger case.

22. carlito86

carlito86 Member+

Jan 11, 2016
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    #1347 carlito86, Feb 1, 2019
    Last edited: Feb 1, 2019
    Lucky or not it still doesn’t explain the 7 other players who finished ahead of Zidane when he was supposedly in the middle of his peak

Zidane had the platform and the support cast unlike George best to dominate and he did not and could not
    It’s a simple as that

George best scored 20+ Goals(assists+dribbles?)consistently every season from the wing for a mid table team that won nothing from 69-72
    Now just imagine he had been playing for team like Lippis juventus and his goals has been scored in the context of winning and challenging for trophies
    I have no doubt he would’ve been a multiple ballon D’Or winner and at least finished way more often in the top 5

most of these clips surely come from the 5 or so seasons peru classified as world class
    If so than no 5-6 season peak of Zidane touches this
    not even remotely

AD78 repped this.
  23. peterhrt

peterhrt Member+

Oct 21, 2015
    Club:
    Leeds United AFC
    Di Stefano interview with Marcela Mora y Araujo in 2008:

"You know, they're always busting my balls with this - 'pick a favourite, pick the best' - that once I said 'OK, here's five names and then I'm saying no more: Muñoz, Moreno, Pedernera, Labruna and Lostau'", reciting the legendary River Plate front line-up as if it were one name.

24. AD78

AD78 Member+

Jul 17, 2013
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    I was not arguing the Best fact, totally agree, United were on a massive decline in the early 70s that ultimately resulted in relegation, my point was more the fact that Zidane was not biggest challenge to (a fortunate) Owen for the Ballon d'or.

An example would be Zidane had just two ESM team of month performances in 00-01 season as opposed to 5 97-98. Two appearances in ESM team of month that season is less than other midfielders such as Nedved, Scholl and Medieta for example.

Not a midfielder I know but I always thought Crespo's 00/01 season is vastly overrated.

25. schwuppe

schwuppe Member+

Sep 17, 2009
    Club:
    FC Kryvbas Kryvyi Rih
    Thought a bit about Ademir da Guia.

In 1972 he was the 2nd highest rated player by Placar and his team won the championship so there are results to back it up.
    I mean... how would you possibly NOT include him?

Looks similar in 1973. Won the title again, best attacker/midfielder on his team.