Historic World Wide Balon d'Or 23 player short lists

Discussion in 'The Beautiful Game' started by Tom Stevens, Jan 8, 2016.

1. PDG1978

PDG1978 Member+

Mar 8, 2009
    Club:
    Nottingham Forest FC
    Sorry, I'd meant to make that last post a bit longer but ended up cutting it short. Thanks for the rep anyway Puck.

I was going to add "yes I think late 1992 possibly did help MvB and Stoichkov for Ballon d'Or etc". I think some quality Laudrup assists did occur in that period, but as you say Stoichkov starting well probably kept him in the thoughts of voters, and while I'm not sure Van Basten's form was better or even as good (not sure) as in 91/92 generally, his start to 92/93 was definitely notable and especially the Gothenburg game would have left a big impression in minds (in those days they were a decent and competitive team too). So on this thread those things are not relevant for 1992. I remember saying when choosing Van Basten for calendar year "but maybe for season it could be Laudrup" so maybe here I should say it in reverse!

I realise I said I shouldn't just be data analyst, but then offered Laudrup topping La Liga average ratings too lol! And I'd done the opposite for 94/95, where he was below Guerrero as an AM (I don't feel we should go the same way as that though obviously even if the Spaniard surely had a very good season, if not World Cup).

Going back to Cantona in 96 (I'm fairly settled on both him and Giggs at least making my own list though now) it's tricky to account for missing August/Sept. In terms of that season "not of his own doing" but overall completely of his own doing! Anyway he did play plenty once he'd returned so mostly a moot point, if not in contention for podium anyway.

2. Perú FC

Perú FC Member+

Nov 16, 2007
    Lima, Perú
    I also remember him in a game playing against AS Roma that impressed me very much, but I don't remember which one exactly. I also have impregnated in the memory some confrotation against AC Milan and vs. Baresi.

3. Perú FC

Perú FC Member+

Nov 16, 2007
    Lima, Perú
    You give me a reason to present the case of Schmeichel.

The Danish is for me around one of the top 5 goalkeepers in history and I can remember several spectacular performances of him thoughout the 1990's, but about to finish my sketch for 1997 I realize that maybe I won't include him in any list of the decade. Tom only included him previously in his list of 1992 (I think he could have appeared for 1993 too), so the result seems me a bit confusing take into account his status.

Any idea?, maybe I skip something about him?

4. PDG1978

PDG1978 Member+

Mar 8, 2009
    Club:
    Nottingham Forest FC
    I don't know whether you mean in 93/94 (maybe you're not sure) or even definitely as a Juventus player, but a Juventus fan did upload this video for him for the home game of 93/94 (0-0) and he certainly has some quality moments and creates some openings, and I think if we might be looking at putting him near the top for 1994 probably it's that sort of thing (and actual assists) that could lead us in that direction?

I was hesitating to add too many videos (especially hoping it didn't slow down loading of the pages etc) so that's why I hadn't added Laudrup vs Kiev (91/92) plus Puck had seen it I know (I'm sure he remembers now after I mentioned it too, as he commented before) but since I add the Baggio one I'll put that one in too:

I think Tom had been thinking along the lines of him being a contender for top spot that year, but I do understand it's a bit at odds with the final individual awards (albeit calendar year based, and obviously with La Liga itself not quite so prominent in Europe, and elsewhere maybe too, in terms of viewing compared to at least Serie A).

The AC Milan game may be the one Puck referred to from 92/93, with Baggio's solo goal?

Perú FC repped this.
  5. PDG1978

PDG1978 Member+

Mar 8, 2009
    Club:
    Nottingham Forest FC
    No, I understand your idea here definitely. I also think I'd probably be putting him in 1993, and possibly 1994 although there might be lots of competition, but surely 1992 is the obvious choice overall.

I think it comes down to the difficulty of comparing goalkeepers partly. Maybe if we're replicating the actual FIFA Ballon d'Or we should check how regularly they got included in 23 player lists for that (I know Tom's idea was to replicate the criteria and methodology quite closely). For Schmeichel though, I think it can be that he has a case for more years but maybe not very very clear. When I listed my estimated 23 players between 95 and 98 I only put him as HM for 97, but arguably for that season or as much or more the one before (where in the end he did win the PL Player of the Season award, albeit not the more famous/prestigious PFA or FWA awards and I'm not sure he was even seen as completely clear best GK in the league over the season - maybe by the end he was and maybe the PFA selections came too soon to reflect that - he certainly had a big say in the title run-in in the close race with Newcastle) he could get in a 23 player list. I wonder whether calendar year 97 might be better than 96/97 though perhaps for him, and also I just squeezed in Cantona and Giggs in my 96 list and maybe struggle to add Schmeichel to that (I know you didn't actually put Giggs in either). For 95, 98 and especially 99 (despite the FA Cup semi-final save) I think his case might be less. I don't think he was really a star of Euro 96 the same way as in 92, but obviously Denmark went home earlier and he had had at least one game making several good saves I think (we reviewed Euro 96 not so long ago on one of comme's threads too). But I don't actually include any GKs in my lists between 95 and 98 - I know you did put in Chilavert - apart from having a decent World Cup in 98 behind a tight Paraguayan defence, my memories of him are mostly clips appearing on TV of him scoring free-kicks etc lol!

Perú FC repped this.
  6. PDG1978

PDG1978 Member+

Mar 8, 2009
    Club:
    Nottingham Forest FC
    Actually, for some reason Raul had temporarily slipped my mind when I wrote that but I'm thinking I'd probably be putting him in a proposed top 5 and not Yorke.

Like I said though, I find the 99 list a bit more difficult and uncertain to attempt. I might wonder if for example Maldini or Veron might be worth considering as possibles among the top candidates, but then I'm not even fully sure I'd clearly think of them as comfortably making the list of 23. I don't know, maybe as I start to find it harder Peru might start to find it easier though even, and I did think comme had done an excellent job in putting together his list of players for the 98/99 season so I do think that's a good starting point.

Perú FC repped this.
  7. PuckVanHeel

PuckVanHeel BigSoccer Yellow Card

Oct 4, 2011
    Club:
    Feyenoord
    Yes I had that Kiev game noted down as among his better EC games of 1991-92. Was wondering what you and Peru FC were thinking.
    Stoichkov was perceived as the best (best attacker at least) in the de facto semi final and in the final he also hit the post and such.

Yes, I'm sympathetic to the idea of him in the top three, but at the same time there was an uncanny consensus for the top two and also that Laudrup wasn't close to the top three. It's a consensus in the awards that was pretty rare for that time and previous decades. I think that has to be explained and accounted for when placing M. Laudrup in the top three.

Here the France Football vote:

Stoichkov > M. Laudrup (19)

England (Schmeichel)
    Belgium (Stoichkov)
    Austria (Hassler)
    Bulgaria (Stoichkov)
    Spain (Stoichkov)
    Hungary (Stoichkov)
    CIS (Hassler)
    Ireland (Van Basten)
    Greece (Van Basten)
    Italy (Stoichkov)
    Luxembourg (Van Basten)
    Poland (Stoichkov)
    Switzerland (Van Basten)
    Portugal (Stoichkov)
    Czechoslovakia (Stoichkov)
    Malta (Stoichkov)
    Romania (Stoichkov)
    Netherlands (R. Koeman)
    Yugoslavia (Van Basten)

M. Laudrup > Stoichkov (2)

France (Van Basten)
    Sweden (Van Basten)

Voters who had neither (8) [top vote in brackets]

Albania (Schmeichel)
    Germany (Van Basten)
    Cyprus (Brian Laudrup)
    Finland (Hassler)
    Denmark (Bergkamp)
    Iceland (Van Basten)
    Scotland (Van Basten)
    Turkey (Van Basten)

https://drive.google.com/file/d/0BwL4ev1QI1K6Q3dMc0V1MDdheHc/view

Perú FC repped this.
  8. PDG1978

PDG1978 Member+

Mar 8, 2009
    Club:
    Nottingham Forest FC
    Yeah, I can see what you're saying. I guess the more valid of the arguments against Laudrup performance wise tend to be consistency and big games. The first must have been decent enough or the peaks tremendous enough to offset in La Liga for him to top average ratings I suppose (similar to how I feel/interpret things might be for Savicevic in 94/95 - I did see more of that first hand like I say although in retrospect Laudrup's 91/92 seems the more impressive). The latter might be applicable a bit moreso for 91/92 though it seems yeah.

It's not like I'm trying to manipulate Laudrup into high positions against my real perceptions though as seen by what I said about 1995. And sometimes a season/calendar year difference can be valid, although this case shouldn't be as stark as Ronaldo in 1996 compared to 95/96 that we discussed already I'm sure.

Of course Guardiola did say the Ballon d'Or means nothing because Michael Laudrup didn't win it. Perhaps if he made a call as to when he should have done (bearing in mind team-mate Stoichkov did win it in 94 too) it might be 1992?

The Sweden-Denmark contrast is interesting there. Can come down to individual ideas of the voters of course (also re: the Spain vote? Do we know where that came from?), but the Dane might have been reluctant to include him after he didn't play in the Euros, even if retrospectively he agrees with the assessment of most Danes as him as Denmark's best and perhaps one of the worlds best (with 91/92 being a significant season in forming that assessment I guess).

9. PDG1978

PDG1978 Member+

Mar 8, 2009
    Club:
    Nottingham Forest FC
    I do think if Stoichkov does score rather than hit the post, it might even boost Laudrup (provider of a great winning assist - "he provides the crucial magic even in an overall so-so display, to cap a great season of inspiration" and suchlike) more than himself though, even though I don't think it was a 'bad' miss but moreso a close effort.

As it was Koeman took the plaudits for winning the Cup with the great/typical free-kick and fairly so.

10. PuckVanHeel

Oct 4, 2011
    Club:
    Feyenoord
    Yes this are the number of suggested and/or potential podium candidates between 1990 - 1994, the ones suggested by Peru, you (PDG1978) and me.

2 x Baggio (1993 & 1994)
    2 x Bergkamp (1992 & 1993)
    2 x Laudrup (1992 & 1993)
    2 x Matthaus (1990 & 1991)
    2 x Stoichkov (1992 & 1994)
    2 x Van Basten (1990 & 1992)

Stoichkov is within a shout for three (1992, 1993, 1994), Romario at a stretch for two (1993 & 1994).

This feels about correct since I thought of MvB, Laudrup and Matthaus as top 5 for 1985 - 1995. Baggio and DB10 move over to the 1990 - 2000 era.

Some of them were maybe a bit under the radar in some years (Baggio in 1992 perhaps, but I don't think 1991 since he was still adapting/struggling at Juve)

Perú FC and PDG1978 repped this.
  11. Perú FC

Perú FC Member+

Nov 16, 2007
    Lima, Perú
    That's a good question. For a long time it's been a doubt I've had about him and many times I've tried to inquire about it. Although I don't have a conclusive answer, I've very strong suspicions after several discussions that could have to do with a typical predetermined thinking. I mean, that year Denmark participated surprisingly in the Euro and even more surprisingly it won without Michael Laudrup. The fact that he wasn't in the picture of such a surprise champion side perhaps could be perceived (as I've noticed by many) as follows: "he can't be as good/influential if even his (minor) national team could win the Euro without the need to have him".

Obviously, it's just a hypothesis from what I've read and heard from several people, but I'd understand how that idea (erratic, but very common in my opinion) could be so powerful as to subtract him points in one or many votes, even putting him at a disadvantage in the idea compared to others who didn't even qualify, as Stoichkov.

My suspicion is reinforced when in votes like those of the Ballon d'Or he had fewer points than his countrymen Peter Schmeichel and Brian Laudrup, main characters of the Euro.

Could be the reason or one of several factors, maybe.

PuckVanHeel repped this.
  12. Perú FC

Perú FC Member+

Nov 16, 2007
    Lima, Perú
    Yes, I think that's the match I was referring to.

I understand how it could be difficult to capture theoretically some influence when the result ends 0-0 (without goals nor assists and without determining players in the offensive by the result).

13. Perú FC

Perú FC Member+

Nov 16, 2007
    Lima, Perú
    Well, I finally finished my first sketch for 1997:

[*] In red who I think are safe options.

- Bergkamp, Dennis (Netherlands & Arsenal)
    - Deschamps, Didier (France & Juventus)
    - Edmundo (Brazil & Vasco da Gama)
    - Ferrara, Ciro (Italy & Juventus)
    - Figo, Luís (Portugal & Barcelona)
    - Hierro, Fernando (Spain & Real Madrid)
    - Juninho (Paulista) (Brazil & Middlesbrough)
    - Kohler, Jürgen (Germany & Borussia Dortmund)
    - Mijatovic, Predrag (Yugoslavia & Real Madrid)
    - Raúl (Spain & Real Madrid)
    - Redondo, Fernando (Argentina & Real Madrid)
    - Rivaldo (Brazil & Deportivo La Coruña)
    - Roberto Carlos (Brazil & Real Madrid)
    - Romário (Brazil & Flamengo)
    - Ronaldo (Brazil & Barcelona)
    - Salas, Marcelo (Chile & River Plate)
    - Seedorf, Clarence (Netherlands & Real Madrid)
    - Shearer, Alan (England & Newcastle United)
    - Suker, Davor (Croatia & Real Madrid)
    - Thuram, Lilian (France & Parma)
    - Verón, Juan Sebastián (Argentina & Sampdoria)
    - Zidane, Zinedine (France & Juventus)
    - Zola, Gianfranco (Italy & Chelsea)

As I mentioned earlier, what seems to me the most notorious point is that I selected 7 players of Real Madrid, which in theory indicate it was a dominant team in that season (1996-97), but in practice we know that's not accurate. It seems me a strange case in which, for various circumstances, the individualities shone even more than the team itself because case by case I think they're very solid options. On the contrary, in this previous sketch I haven't enlisted any player of Manchester United (English champions and semi-finalists of the UEFA Champions League) despite having several names in contention (Schmeichel, Keane, Beckham, Giggs and Cantona), which doesn't leave me sure if I'm not something biased unconsciously.

From South American leagues, Edmundo, Romário and Salas look like a good trio. The rebirth of Romário at this level thanks to his international participations is well known and Salas had a great season in Argentina as huge performances with Chile, but I think Edmundo is a bit forgotten. In my opinion, this was a spectacular year for him in Brazil and in terms of raw skills I think he arguably should be won the South American Player of the Year award. I also remember how he was even compared to Ronaldo at the end of the year.

Then, here are the some of the players who I found very difficult to leave out:

- Alfonso (Spain & Real Betis)
    - Anderson, Sonny (Brazil & AS Monaco)
    - Balakov, Krasimir (Bulgaria & Stuttgart)
    - Beckham, David (England & Manchester United)
    - Cannavaro, Fabio (Italy & Parma)
    - Denílson (Brazil & Sao Paulo)
    - Di Livio, Angelo (Italy & Juventus)
    - Djorkaeff, Youri (France & Inter Milan)
    - Giggs, Ryan (Wales & Manchester United)
    - Inzaghi, Filippo (Italy & Atalanta)
    - Jarni, Robert (Croatia & Real Betis)
    - Kirsten, Ulf (Germany & Bayer Leverkusen)
    - Laudrup, Brian (Denmark & Rangers)
    - Luis Enrique (Spain & Barcelona)
    - Mancini, Roberto (Italy & Sampdoria)
    - Montella, Vincenzo (Italy & Sampdoria)
    - Montero, Paolo (Uruguay & Juventus)
    - Pagliuca, Gianluca (Italy & Inter Milan)
    - Peruzzi, Angelo (Italy & Juventus)
    - Rui Costa (Portugal & Fiorentina)
    - Signori, Giuseppe (Italy & Lazio)
    - Weah, George (Liberia & AC Milan)
    - Wright, Ian (England & Arsenal)

PDG1978 repped this.
  14. PuckVanHeel

Oct 4, 2011
    Club:
    Feyenoord
    I can understand the idea that Edmundo had a profile that made him fly under the radar (esp. with hindsight knowledge) but what makes Romario a "safe option"?

Romario wasn't in the South American ideal team:
    https://es.wikipedia.org/wiki/Equipo_Ideal_de_América#1997

Romario wasn't in the top 15 of the SAPotY vote:
    http://www.rsssf.com/miscellaneous/sampoy97.html
    (Edmundo made the jump to Fiorentina of Italy in the summer of 1997 and was in the top 10)

He received no votes for the 1997 Ballon d'Or and was joint 37th in the FIFA vote (one that always favors big names, with that FIFA has been a catalyst to the superclubs dynamic).
    https://it.wikipedia.org/wiki/FIFA_World_Player_of_the_Year_1997

Rec.sport.soccer had him 15th
    http://www.rsssf.com/rssbest/rsspoy97.html

He wasn't in the top 10 of the WS vote (shows only first 10):
    https://drive.google.com/file/d/0BwL4ev1QI1K6Y2x2NVlueVUwN0k/view

Is there one 'award' or vote where he did score high? That makes him into a safe option?

Yes, I know for the NT he was fine against England and of the stronger teams also Italy (although Italy was in bad form back then; conceded an unusually high number of goals around that time). Any other noteworthy performance against 1st tier or 2nd tier national teams? (for Brazil, that is).

Also considering the massive exodus that took place after 1994 and that Romario played only four games in the Brasileiro and not in continental club competitions.

15. Perú FC

Perú FC Member+

Nov 16, 2007
    Lima, Perú
    Sorry mate, I must have remarked the name of Romário by mistake. It could have been suspected by the comment I made about Edmundo pointing him out as, probably, the best player in South American leagues in my opinion without remarking him too. However, to use the point you bring up, do you think he's not a feasible option just only as a safe choice or for the overall top 23?

I think classifying him is a bit difficult for this year. As you mentioned, he only played in 4 matches in the Brasileirao and didn't play the Copa Libertadores. At club level he only shone in the Campeonato Carioca and the Rio-Sao Paulo Tournament, which in theory are less competitive tournaments or, at least, less relevant. In retrospect his classification in this aspect shouldn't be high flying, but here arises my dilemma: I remember that year very clearly and I remember having a very clear impression of him with many superlative sparkles above the average of his competition. I remember some matches like against Madureira and Fluminense in which I seemed to notice that he played at half-machine, not so intensely at his best years, but very capable to astonishing with one or two movements to be decisive in the most of his matches week by week (35 goals in 36 matches).

I think that the confirmation of his good level in better competitive parameters occurred at the international level. Was a figure in both the Copa America and the FIFA Confederations Cup and seems me he was at the height of Ronaldo (at his peak) both times. Less physically capable, but even more rogue to play outside the area and with his amazing instincts for definition unbroken (11 goals in 12 matches).

Then, I couldn't answer for several of the cited rankings, but about the South American Player of the Year award, I've to say that I never understood it very well for positions apart from the winners and I suspect that there are certain strange criteria involved. In spite of that, they are certainly sources that cause me to have doubts about my own point of view, but I've seen several who coincide (apparently here PDG1978 also included him in his own list).

By the way, maybe someone could help me with these cases:

- David Beckham and Roberto Mancini: I've note that comme rated them very high in his thread. Beckham could be the player to include for Manchester United and Mancini was even for some the best player of Serie A, but although I try to convince myself I don't notice so high level of none. Couldn't I notice something?

- George Weah: It wasn't a good year for AC Milan in any front, but when I see its summaries I often see Weah performing spectacular maneuvers (including this famous goal at the start of the season), however, his multiple ratings, despite pointing him as probably the best player of his team, don't point him as one of the very best in Italy. Perhaps not enough consistent?

- Eric Cantona: Exactly the same case of Weah in his last season as active player.

- Luis Figo: Is he good enough? I really like him this season but apparently the most of the ratings rate him behind Luis Enrique, who was a very consistent player for Barcelona thoughout the campaign.

16. PDG1978

PDG1978 Member+

Mar 8, 2009
    Club:
    Nottingham Forest FC
    Just a quick reply for you with my ideas mate:
    - I think you will be more informed than me on Romario. Maybe my idea was a bit impulsive, based on plenty of goals and his International performances alongside Ronaldo primarily indeed. Those teams Puck found were interesting definitely - not sure if they are meant to be based on club form mainly, and he'd lose out due to the competitions he didn't play?
    - Beckham started the season very well, scoring from the half-way line, and other nice goals like vs Derby from outside the box I remember. He was getting involved quite a lot in midfield play too IIRC, but still nominally as right winger. He had shown some really nice promise the season before I remember but this was really his breakthrough year as a 'superstar' type player.
    - Weah was maybe a bit disrupted by injury I think.
    - What I see of Figo, and know of him, I say yes surely, but I see the reservations. I would suggest when Copa Del Rey and 1997 Intl games are added maybe he doesn't 'rate' behind the likes of Luis Enrique based on performance in most views though, and surely he doesn't on reputation overall at that time anyway.

Perú FC repped this.
  17. PDG1978

PDG1978 Member+

Mar 8, 2009
    Club:
    Nottingham Forest FC
    Not to post more videos (although disabling IpV6 maybe helps myself load pages a bit now!), but I'd say you could look at Figo vs Atletico (Copa Del Rey) and vs Fiorentina (CWC) on Youtube for example for performances which I'd assume would boots his resume. I think there are long-ish highlights of the Copa Del Rey Final, in which he was key, and Germany vs Portugal too, in which he carved out a great chance with dribbling, for more examples.

Puck did remark that Figo was one of a few additional names specified, not in the final La Liga ideal XI based on ratings, so he was seen as in the ballpark in that competition alone too clearly - seems Seedorf received high enough ratings to keep him out though (strictly speaking his own Intl play for 1997 is 'unlucky' to miss for example a goal vs Belgium in late 1996, but yeah I had possibly Seedorf at a similar level to Beckham in my estimations, and Figo potentially more of a top option...but again not trying to say that should be decisive and in a way it's inconsistent to use average ratings for Laudrup in 91/92, and discard them slightly for Figo in 96/97...but I would never intend to follow them strictly as a data analyst like I said).

Perú FC repped this.
  18. PDG1978

PDG1978 Member+

Mar 8, 2009
    Club:
    Nottingham Forest FC
    Although "I really like him this season" could possibly indicate you saw all those videos anyway Peru lol! Anyway, yeah I think those are good examples for me to help explain my view of him as a probable verging on certain choice (not completely certain because a) he wasn't playing in England for me to view more fully at the time, and b) I wouldn't say everyone has to agree in this case definitely).

Perú FC repped this.
  19. PDG1978

PDG1978 Member+

Mar 8, 2009
    Club:
    Nottingham Forest FC
    On Figo again, to be fair the players that kept him out of that La Liga Team of the Season (although Finidi George was like Figo named as an HM, so I don't know if we know how his ratings compared to Figo's?) are all likely candidates for the 23 too - Seedorf, Raul, Rivaldo (it looks like the team was specified after taking the top rated players and fitting them in an XI, rather than Raul being previously categorised as left wing/AM for example - he tended to play as part of a front 3 in support of Mijatovic and Suker didn't he?).

The biggest question against Suker (being near the top as I had him provisionally, and Peru might consider) might actually be Alfonso making that team instead of him, but still his contributions for Croatia in 1997 add to his case and I'd be surprised if he was much further away from Alfonso ratings wise than he was goals wise. I do think in some ways this 1997 list suits Suker slightly less well than a calendar year 1996 one might but better than a calendar year 1997 one would surely (and maybe in either case the calendar year lists would provide more competition?).

Anyway, at the time La Liga was arguably the 2nd best league in the world (perhaps in that specific season such an argument is good....and I say that being someone who does think the Premier League was already generally very good by then or at least had a few high quality teams in it) so several players from it making the list does seem reasonable, and for a one-off season actualy more top performing players than Serie A doesn't seem 'wrong' really either to me.

I felt Cantona probably was a bit off his best version I general, although certainly showed he was still very capable at times like when he pulled off a great slide rule assist for Solskjaer or when he scored his great chip goal with the famous celebration vs Sunderland for example. I know, whether a bit harshly or not, it was felt he didn't do enough to make the difference vs Dortmund in the semi-final.

Perú FC repped this.
  20. PuckVanHeel

Oct 4, 2011
    Club:
    Feyenoord
    The confirmation came when he returned for a 2nd time to Valencia, which again wasn't a success.

What caught my eye is the statement that he was at the height of Ronaldo at his peak.

In terms of national team performances; Ronaldo was rightly voted as best player in the Copa America wasn't it? He scored more goals than Romario and played better overall. Furthermore, he played in the final while Romario didn't play. That should be especially rated of significance when virtually all national teams (except Brazil) played with a B or C squad.

I agree that Romario was most probably better than Ronaldo in the Confederations Cup. However, also here Ronaldo played all matches while Romario played in four of the five games. He did not play in the group stage game against Australia. Furthermore, the only real opponent of significance (Czech Republic) came with a slightly depleted squad and right in the middle of the European club seasons while for Brazil it was the off-season.

In the Copa America Brazil NT did not play as single top 15 opponent (per ELO rating) - and they played with B and C teams.

In the Confederations Cup not a single top 10 opponent (Mexico came with their best team and was rated 20th; Czech Republic 15th).

For the Tournoi de France I posted this previously:

The Italian defense was very, very poor in this friendly tournament and around this time.

So I'd struggle to see someone as the equal of Ronaldo with regards to national team performances in 1997. Certainly as far as South America is concerned, and with special focus for the level of opponents (for star-studded Brazil).

21. PMFmdf

PMFmdf Member

May 15, 2016
    Romario did not deserve a place on the list for 1997 year, but Van Basten deserves a mention for his 1993 performances, I remember well about how this opinion from OP was Ok for posters here. I also read here how Bergkamp is a underrated player nowadays. Actually, I agree with this one, but I think Van Basten euro´92 performances has a big influence on that. Euro´92 was supposed to be Bergkamp definitive moment, his best tournament by fair, but the main star and striker of the team was subpar for his standards, remained scoreless and missed the crucial PK vs Denmark, these are the facts. People who love Van Basten will gonna say he had good movement and helped Bergkamp, but actually if he was delivering what the team was expecting from him, probably Netherlands would have advanced and would have a great chance to beat Germany in the final game, which would mean Bergkamp would have collected a ballon d ´or in that specific year. Football has many variables and Van Basten was a bad one for Bergkamp´s career.

22. Perú FC

Perú FC Member+

Nov 16, 2007
    Lima, Perú
    #847 Perú FC, Apr 19, 2017
    Last edited: Apr 19, 2017
    I seem to notice it at the beginning of the season, although then I've the feeling that he declines a bit, especially during the semester in 1997, but it could be just a personal misperception. Apparently, just like you, most have the same idea of being that his first "great" year and makes sense because his reputation by 1998.

Yes, indeed, the day before yesterday I saw the final of that Copa del Rey against Real Betis.

PDG1978 repped this.
  23. Perú FC

Perú FC Member+

Nov 16, 2007
    Lima, Perú
    I don't think that reflects much his level by then. He returned to Valencia at the request of Valdano and had a very good first friendly match against Atlético de Madrid in the summer tournament:

But he was injured before the start of the season, missed the first 3 matches and Valencia lost all of them, reason why Valdano was dismissed and replaced by Ranieri, with whom Romário had both tactical and personal problems immediately accelerating his return to Brazil after only 6 matches in that semester.

- Romário, el final de un "dibujo animado" en blanco y negro

24. PDG1978

PDG1978 Member+

Mar 8, 2009
    Club:
    Nottingham Forest FC
    #849 PDG1978, Apr 19, 2017
    Last edited: Apr 19, 2017
    Yeah, maybe that feeling is not completely misplaced, but I find it hard to be certain in a very detailed way many years later. He didn't have really great DBS Calcio ratings for the Premier League eventually, and wasn't a top contender for player of the year awards in England, but was a unanimous choice in the FWA Team of the Year and was named Manchester United Player of the Year as I think you know.

Like I say as an involved all-around footballer I think it was a good period for him, although in later seasons he became more assist master (though was always very good at picking out crosses/passes from wide positions). I think I watched recently a Man Utd 96/97 video containing an example of an assist with a great crossfield pass by him, but for now here is a goals video from that season with another quality one by him (the video below shows more of a standard selection though I suppose, over all competitions):

25. PuckVanHeel

Oct 4, 2011
    Club:
    Feyenoord
    Actually he isn't in the list for 1993 and I agreed with it (did not object at all) and I think all others agreed too.

Furthermore, the 'problem' is not Romario being included in the 1997 list, but him included as one of the few 'safe options'.

France Football rated MvB as the best Dutch player of the tournament (not sure I'd agree with it). Bergkamp scored a goal against Denmark and MvB had a contribution to it, so I think it is a wrong idea. It was a tournament with an unusually low goals per game.

Yes, that penalty miss - one of the very few he missed in his career - was a big bummer but if you look closely at the match you'll see that he created about 5 direct chances in the game (not: DB10s goal) which is above average. He was also the most fouled player of the tournament (per game and in total), and in general a even more negative tournament than WC90 (even more fouls per game and more 'endangering fouls' per a study). Not sure a replacement player could have offered the same.

Yes, Havelange personally appointing referees as he did in 1994 could have offered the same if you like.

Either way, the most important point is that he was actually not on the 1993 list, and Romario included for 1997 is fine but - for reasons stated above - to make it one of the handful 'safe options' is stretching it a lot.

Just as the claim that he was playing at the level of Ronaldo in 1997. My view.

Although I do not agree with every assessment by Peru FC, I actually like the perceptions and ideas during the last couple of pages.

Perú FC repped this.