Historic World Wide Balon d'Or 23 player short lists

Discussion in 'The Beautiful Game' started by Tom Stevens, Jan 8, 2016.

1. Raute

Raute Member

Jun 9, 2015
    Club:
    SV Werder Bremen
    Cool! Kicker didn't serve 'Reading Room' before 1963(both Kicker and Sportmagazin), so I couldn't search it.

2. Tom Stevens

Tom Stevens Member+

Dec 12, 2012
    Club:
    Arsenal FC

Arnesen, Frank (Anderlecht, Denmark)
    Bochini, Ricardo (Independiente, Argentina)
    Burruchaga, Jorge (Independiente, Argentina)
    Cabrini, Antonio (Juventus, Italy)
    Chalana (Benfica, Portugal)
    Cruyff, Johan (Feyenoord)
    Elkjær Larsen, Preben (Lokeren, Denmark)
    Falcao (Roma)
    Francescoli, Enzo (River Plate, Uruguay)
    Förster, Karlheinz (Stuttgart, Germany)
    Giresse, Alain (Bordeaux, France)
    Hansen, Alan (Liverpool, Scotland)
    Maceda, Antonio (Sporting Gijón, Spain)
    Olsen, Morten (Anderlecht, Denmark)
    Platini, Michel (Juventus, France)
    Roberto Dinamite (Vasco da Gama, Brazil)
    Romero, Julio César (Fluminense, Paraguay)
    Rummenigge, Karl-Heinz (Bayern Munich, Germany)
    Rush, Ian (Liverpool, Wales)
    Sigurvinsson, Asgeir (Stuttgart, Iceland)
    Souness, Graeme (Liverpool, Scotland)
    Tigana, Jean (Bordeaux, France)
    Zico (Udinese)

Honorable Mention: Ricardo Gomes, Branco, Assis, Delei, Roberto Costa, Hugo de León, Renato Gaúcho, Júnior, Rodolfo Rodríguez, Serginho Chulapa, Alberto Márcico, Pedro Pasculli, Sergio Batista, Kenny Dalglish, Phil Neal, Mark Lawrenson, Bryan Robson, Glenn Hoddle, Steve Archibald, Peter Shilton, John Barnes, Paolo Rossi, Gaetano Scirea, Zbigniew Boniek, Toninho Cerezo, Bruno Conti, Agostino Di Bartolomei, Roberto Pruzzo, Daniel Passarella, Liam Brady, Enzo Scifo, Marco Van Basten, Ruud Gullit, Pierre Littbarski, Lothar Matthaus, Juanito, Bernard Genghini, Rinat Dasaev, Gordon Strachan, Luis Fernández, Luis Arconada, Maxime Bossis, Patrick Battiston, Joël Bats, Andreas Brehme, João Pinto, Jesper Olsen, Rudi Völler

A tough year to decide on the top three outside of Platini at number one. Tigana seemed like a solid choice and was excellent for club and country. The final spot was kind of a toss up between Romerito, Rush, and Francescoli. Went with Romerito despite Francescoli winning South American Footballer of the year. Romerito then wins it in 85 which does not make sense. I am assuming he was better in 84 when Flu won the Carioca, Brazilian Championships, and he was Bola de Plata, as oppose to 85. In 85 he did win the Carioca, but was not Bola de Prata or Brazilian Champion, although he was good in WC Qualifying.

Perú FC and comme repped this.
  3. Raute

Raute Member

Jun 9, 2015
    Club:
    SV Werder Bremen
    How about these players as HM? Harald Shumacher, Hans-Peter Briegel, Soren Lerby, Rui Jordao, Santillana.

Tom Stevens and AD78 repped this.
  4. Pipiolo

Pipiolo Member+

Jul 19, 2008
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
    I would include Amoros, Lerby and Borghi.

5. PDG1978

PDG1978 Member+

Mar 8, 2009
    Club:
    Nottingham Forest FC
    I do think Dalglish's case is mainly based on his domestic form (and I'd think probably in 1982 more than 1983) but his two goals in Belgium for Scotland (one of them awarded Goal of the Season) were right at the end of the 1982 so I don't know if they are irrelevant the way you are looking at things or not (in reality voters might well think of them I guess but I know you were looking mainly at calendar years regarding International games). It's one of those cases where he arguably did enough to be the match winner against the eventual qualifiers, but wasn't because Belgium scored more goals against the Scottish defence. The interesting thing (although surely less or not at all relevant here even) is that I think I'm right in saying that after the World Cup he was getting left out of the Scotland team (while in great form for Liverpool at the start of the season) and that was his comeback game - Denis Law talks about his positive reaction to being left out in the tribute film "Kenny" that was on Youtube and maybe can still be seen there. But in the 1983 calendar year, I think he maybe just got one assist and one pre-assist, as far as Scotland goes.

In addition to whatever can be seen on Youtube (as well as some goals, I think you should be able to see or already saw some great assists vs Forest, Watford, Tottenham for example - all teams that ended the season near the top of the table). But written accounts like this one for the game vs Manchester City can help where there isn't available footage I think (although I know you already are thinking very highly of his domestic season - to me it was ahead of Platini's I'd think for much of the season but maybe that changed towards the end):
    http://www.citytilidie.com/latest/liverpool-away-198283/
    "On this day, the rampant Reds were a class apart, Kenny Dalglish especially. He served warning in the opening exchanges of what was to come, driving in a powerful shot that was parried away by Joe Corrigan.
    …After 16 minutes Dalglish found his target. David Hodgson and Ronnie Whelan set him up; from just outside the area he swerved the ball with the outside of his right boot high into the corner of the net. A wonderful goal"
    "Dalglish was rampant and Dennis Tueart was forced to bring him down just outside the area, merely delaying the inevitable, The Scot got·up and beat Corrigan with a powerful low shot from the resulting free kick"
    "Dalglish was responsible for the Reds restoring their three-goal lead in the second half, winning the ball in midfield and setting Rush free on goal. He wes never going to miss and 4-1 it was.
    Dalglish completed his hat-trick three minutes from time with a low right-foot shot from close range. ln the closing seconds a Peter Bodak volley pulled one back for the visitors. "

Perú FC, Tom Stevens and comme repped this.
  6. PDG1978

PDG1978 Member+

Mar 8, 2009
    Club:
    Nottingham Forest FC
    Just for clarification the great goal on the Dalglish goals video vs a team in light blue is not the goal described in that link (the description would have been a bit off, including the fact it was a left footed goal on the video ofc....on top of being curled rather than swerved I'd say and the pre-assisters being different) I'm pretty sure but a goal vs Stoke in the FA Cup I think.

Stoke can be seen playing at Anfield in the league game here with the same kit:

(Another game where he has goals plus assists/goal involvement).

It's hard to be sure due to my age (and the somewhat incomplete footage shown even at the time perhaps anyway) but I tend to assume it was his best season and perhaps a season comparable to the best by a player in England even. Quite a lot of goals, including some brilliant ones. And quite a lot of assists I think including some brilliant ones. Plus the general influence on the team dynamic and cohesiveness of the play that he was known for, dropping into midfield and making the play.

Not to say I 100% think he should be ruled into the top 3 Tom (and it's your choice anyway) but felt it could be helpful to show reasons I wouldn't be quick to rule him out of it.

Tom Stevens and comme repped this.
  7. AD78

AD78 Member+

Jul 17, 2013
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    How was Falcao's first season at Roma seen, compared to the next 2-3 where he was one of the top players?

8. comme

comme Moderator
    Staff Member

Feb 21, 2003
    I think leaving Rush out of the top 3 is harsh. His club season was absolutely phenomenal.

He won the league, European Cup and league cup. Won the European golden boot and was both PFA and FWA player of the year.

Not sure what more he could have done.

Raute repped this.
  9. AD78

AD78 Member+

Jul 17, 2013
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Surprised not to see Maradona there for 82-83 season, 23 goals in 35 games, won the Copa del Rey and the Copa de la Liga, then the Supercopa de España at the start of the following season. At the end of the season there was also the game where Maradona was applauded by the Real Madrid fans. Injury took him out the start of the 83-84 season.

10. PuckVanHeel

PuckVanHeel BigSoccer Yellow Card

Oct 4, 2011
    Club:
    Feyenoord
    They applauded his goal, not the performance perse.

http://www.fcbarcelona.com/football...-since-maradona-stunned-the-santiago-bernabeu

He played too few games to be included by Don Balon and Mundo Deportivo. Otherwise he would have been top 15 (top 20 maybe, at worst) and 4th respectively. In terms of grades. It is the best season of the two, sure.

11. PDG1978

PDG1978 Member+

Mar 8, 2009
    Club:
    Nottingham Forest FC
    Just to expand on the bolded part with an after-thought (I'm also influenced by thinking about what as been posted on the Suarez thread I think) - on the face of it this Dalglish season seems pretty comparable to Bergkamp's in 97/98. Without trying to pre-empt Tom exactly I guess that could be another "is it in the top 3 or not?" season, though Bergkamp certainly had impressive plays, if not consistently great form throughout, in the World Cup at the end of that season (perhaps enough to enhance his case over a Del Piero or someone for example?).

12. PDG1978

PDG1978 Member+

Mar 8, 2009
    Club:
    Nottingham Forest FC
    Probably as I suggested Cruyff's 81/82 could be in the HM's at least (no problem if it's not put there on my part really though - his Feyenoord season made the main list for 83/84 I see) then I'd think the same for that sort of season by Maradona (although at the opposite end of his career). Or even NM (notable mention) is the most appropriate term in those cases due to the best form displayed and the players overall careers?

13. PuckVanHeel

Oct 4, 2011
    Club:
    Feyenoord
    I think Cruyff in 1981-82 also played too few games, but he did (help to) turn around a 5 points deficit into a 5 points lead at the end of the season. The league had a good coefficient back then 1981-1983 (4th & 3rd). By the point of his return they were already out of the domestic cup and in Europe though (the impressive Celtic performances are of a season later, where Ajax lost when he was out for the final 5 minutes). He impressed when he played with Ajax against the Belgian NT shortly before the 1982WC.

Maradona was individually outstanding at times in 1982-83, as an individual force a remarkable attacking threat (as I've argued in the other thread re: manager Bianchi comments, often people make a type of player of him that he wasn't). Defenders compared him with stars of yesteryear. But Barcelona did not go through good league seasons or in Europe; and I'm not certain whether it was due to his injuries (as a massive reason). The season before him they ended 2nd, the season after 1st (a rare feat between the 1950s and 1980s); they even achieved similar league results without him playing (1.36ppg vs 1.34ppg).

It depends on where the bar is set. I think they played too few games probably to be considered or taken into account.

14. PDG1978

PDG1978 Member+

Mar 8, 2009
    Club:
    Nottingham Forest FC
    Yeah, that was in mind also when I thought NM might be an appropriate term (or sub-section of HM's). Maybe players could play that amount and if brilliant and consistent enough still make the main list, but that's Tom's call really and I don't suggest that Maradona and Cruyff would have done quite enough, although with a full season their cases would be much enhanced I'd have thought.

15. Gregoriak

Gregoriak BigSoccer Supporter

Feb 27, 2002
    Munich
    With regards to German players in 1984 Harald Schumacher should definitely get mentioned and Pierre Littbarski might leave the list altogether due to his poor 1983-84 form (got better though 84-85).

Tom Stevens repped this.
  16. AD78

AD78 Member+

Jul 17, 2013
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    100% agreement in Schumacher too, he was also argaubley the best goalkeeper of Euro84 despite West Germany not making it of the groups.

17. comme

comme Moderator
    Staff Member

Feb 21, 2003
    Euro 84 had quite a few good goalkeepers.

Schumacher was very good. Bento, Arconada, Qvist were also excellent.

18. AD78

AD78 Member+

Jul 17, 2013
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Yep, I agree re Arconada, apart from the final o_O

Pipiolo and comme repped this.
  19. Tom Stevens

Tom Stevens Member+

Dec 12, 2012
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    I believe his first season was his highest rated of all by some pubs. check Once's Serie A Ratings thread.

20. Tom Stevens

Tom Stevens Member+

Dec 12, 2012
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    I meant to list Schumacher in HM, he was one of the players closest to making the 23.

AD78 repped this.
  21. Tom Stevens

Tom Stevens Member+

Dec 12, 2012
    Club:
    Arsenal FC

Batista, Sergio (Argentinos Juniors, Argentina)
    Boniek, Zbigniew (Juventus, Poland)
    Borghi, Claudio (Argentinos Juniors, Argentina)
    Briegel, Hans-Peter (Verona, Germany)
    Cabañas, Roberto (América de Cali, Paraguay)
    Careca (Sao Paulo, Brazil)
    Elkjær Larsen, Preben (Verona, Denmark)
    Fernández, Luis (Paris Saint Germain, France)
    Giresse, Alain (Bordeaux, France)
    Junior (Torino, Brazil)
    Lerby, Søren (Bayern Munich, Denmark)
    Maradona, Diego (Napoli, Argentina)
    Matthäus, Lothar (Bayern Munich, Germany)
    Migueli (Barcelona)
    Protasov, Oleh (Dnipro Dnipropetrovsk, Soviet Union)
    Platini, Michel (Juventus, France)
    Ratcliffe, Kevin (Everton, Wales)
    Reid, Peter (Everton, England)
    Robson, Bryan (Manchester United, England)
    Romero, Julio César (Fluminense, Paraguay)
    Schuster, Berd (Barcelona)
    Southall, Neville (Everton, Wales)
    Völler, Rudi (Werder Bremen, Germany)

Honorable Mention: Marinho, Leandro, Alemão, Darío Pereyra, Walter Casagrande, Zico, Renato Gaúcho, Jorge Burruchaga, Pedro Pasculli, Gaetano Scirea, Roberto Tricella, Graeme Souness, Pietro Vierchwood, Mark Hately, Alessandro Altobelli, Karl-Heinz Rummenigge, Michael Laudrup, Ian Rush, Mark Lawrenson, Kevin Sheedy, Trevor Steven, Patrick Battiston, Jean Tigana, Vahid Halilhodžić, Maxime Bossis, Dominique Rocheteau, Jorge Valdano, Steve Archibald, Julio Alberto, Pierre Littbarski, Harald Schumacher, Klaus Allofs, Jean-Marie Pfaff, Uwe Rahn, Anatoliy Demyanenko, Rinat Dassaev, Lajos Détári, Morten Olsen, Frank Arnesen, Franky Vercauteren, René Vandereycken, Jan Ceulemans, Peter Shilton, Fernando Gomes, Frank Rijkaard, Matthias Herget

Maradona and Platini are easy picks for the top three. There were lots of good contenders for the third spot that were all about equal in my eyes with Borghi, Careca, Elkjær, Romerito, and Schuster.

Perú FC, Gregoriak, Raute and 2 others repped this.
  22. Pipiolo

Pipiolo Member+

Jul 19, 2008
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
    Bochini was excellent at the Libertadores despite Independiente losing the last match to Argentinos Jrs. I would add Gareca, Ortiz from America de Cali and Olguin from Argentinos Jrs. Jose Villafuerte was also a stand out performer in South America.

Perú FC and Tom Stevens repped this.
  23. PuckVanHeel

Oct 4, 2011
    Club:
    Feyenoord
    It won't be a popular opinion but I do think Maradona gets very easy rides to top three places in years where he doesn't achieve something major (a domestic title, or bigger things). Without pens he scored 9 goals in 30 league games, 2 goals in 6 Coppa Italia matches (Serie B/Serie C sides), and then 6 goals (1PK) in 10 national team matches in the year 1985. Goals against Paraguay (penalty), Chile, Venezuela and Mexico.
    For the 1984-85 season as such it are 39 games he played in the season; some others played more in the league alone.

I don't think there's another legend who fits the profile of finishing eight in the league, eliminated against lower league sides in the cup and not performing/playing in continental club competitions. He's really an outlier vs others in that respect; also an outlier towards his own other versions in other years. The club did improve from scoring 28 goals in a season to 34 goals in a season (relevant for an explosive sprinter), although with a different roster and injuries record (injured star players).

At the least it is decent to note that the team performance profile is an outlier (by a distance) against all other post war years (players who were seen as the world's best, or among the world's best, as contenders).

Tom Stevens repped this.
  24. AD78

AD78 Member+

Jul 17, 2013
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Personally I like Elkjaer Larsen for the top 3, what he did for Verona often gets overlooked, to the Danes and people of Verona that season is very very famous. Also re Bryan Robson, I noticed he was in this season and not 23 in 1984, I think he has a stronger case in 1984, admittedly United did not win the FA Cup like 1985 but he had the great performance in the home win agaisnt Maradona's Barcelona, sadly he missed the semi finals versus Juventus with injury. He was also captain of England in the famous win over Brazil in the Maracana when John Barnes scored his wonder goal and later on that year scored 5 goals in 3 WCQ.

25. comme

comme Moderator
    Staff Member

Feb 21, 2003
    Amoros I would say no. Excellent domestically for Monaco but got sent off against Denmark at the Euros for throwing a ball at Jesper Olsen and then headbutting him. I would say that counts against him strongly.

Pipiolo and Tom Stevens repped this.