Hindsight isn't 2020 - The 2019-20 Season Thread [R]

Discussion in 'Barcelona' started by Viscaelbarca, Jul 16, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. evil_allan

evil_allan Member+

May 3, 2004
    Turtle Island
    ShortyMac repped this.
  2. Ozora

Ozora Member+

Barcelona
    Spain
    Aug 5, 2014
    Club:
    Chelsea LFC
    finally we are at full strength

3. celito

celito Moderator
    Staff Member

Palmeiras
    Brazil
    Feb 28, 2005
    USA
    Club:
    Palmeiras Sao Paulo
    Nat'l Team:
    Brazil
    Well ... Semedo went off injured for Portugal. :sneaky:

4. evil_allan

evil_allan Member+

May 3, 2004
    Turtle Island
    Umtiti came back injured as well

5. TitoTata

TitoTata Member+

Jun 26, 2014
    No comment

6. BocaFan

BocaFan Member+

Aug 18, 2003
    Queens, NY
    So we will really be at full strength then if he misses the Valencia match. :whistling:

7. celito

celito Moderator
    Staff Member

Palmeiras
    Brazil
    Feb 28, 2005
    USA
    Club:
    Palmeiras Sao Paulo
    Nat'l Team:
    Brazil
    Saw a comment in the Portugal forum that Semedo was their weakest link in their last game. Anecdotal ... but ... :whistling:

8. Bada Bing

Bada Bing Member+

Jul 13, 2012
    Finland
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
    We'll be full strength when Messi comes back. It doesn't matter who he plays really, it decides our season if he can carry the team the whole season, I've lost my hope for other players helping long ago.

9. TitoTata

TitoTata Member+

Jun 26, 2014
    There’s also a story circulating that Frank DeBoa says that Valverde is playing FDJ out of position and hasn’t got a clue how to get the best out of him !!

Who knew !!?

10. DutchFanatic

DutchFanatic Member

Ajax
    Netherlands
    Dec 23, 2013
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Netherlands
    He just played two amazing games for Oranje (possible MOTM for both) in his natural position. Lots of talk in the Netherlands about him being completely misused at the moment by Valverde.

With that being said there are also some people who think it can play out to the benefit of De Jong. He has always been amazing in transitional play but his play in the final third leaves something to be desired. He notched a top quality goal vs Germany and some people think being played more offensively by Barca could help him develop that side of his game more.

But definitely in the short-term I think you aren't benefitting optimally from Frenkie in his current position. Fortunately the season is young, we'll see what happens!

11. Rattlehead

Rattlehead Member+

Barcelona, Inter Milan
    Argentina
    Jun 21, 2010
    Jakarta
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
    Its actually a good thing he missed out few games in begining of this season. He played almost maximum number of games last season, followed by maximum number of game in CA. He looked really slow throughout CA, now he should be well recharged.

12. celito

celito Moderator
    Staff Member

Palmeiras
    Brazil
    Feb 28, 2005
    USA
    Club:
    Palmeiras Sao Paulo
    Nat'l Team:
    Brazil
    He missed 3 games. I am sure he missed more than 3 games last season.

13. Gilmango

Gilmango Member+

Jul 20, 2006
    San Francisco, CA
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Lots of quotes from de Boer in this piece, where he also acknowledges a big part of the issue is Busquets quality:

Frenkie de Jong is playing too far from the center at Barcelona, according to Frank de Boer.

“I saw the last games of Barcelona and Frenkie was playing almost on the wing. I don’t believe that’s his position; he should play in the centre or as a holding midfielder,” De Boer said.

The Netherlands legend and former Barcelona and Ajax player is now Ajax’s youth coach.

De Jong has not had the best start after joining Barça from Ajax last summer, although to be fair, the whole team has struggled in the first three games of La Liga, in the absence of Lionel Messi.

“I don’t know what Valverde will do. What I do know is that Frenkie may have to be patient. Sergio Busquets is already getting on, although he continues to play with the same quality as always on the pitch,” De Boer continued.

“The philosophy of Barcelona is not new to him. What happens is that the other players have to complete their understanding of his game.

”Frenkie is a different type of player to Busquets. His teammates have to adapt to him and Frenkie to them. What is clear is that he has a talent that has not been seen in a long time.

”That is why I am convinced he will end up being a success there,” a confident De Boer said.

AS goes into more detail: https://en.as.com/en/2019/09/08/football/1567951848_415659.html

TitoTata repped this.
  14. BocaFan

BocaFan Member+

Aug 18, 2003
    Queens, NY
    Not really though because we dropped 5 points, which will be with the team for the next 35 matches.

15. evil_allan

evil_allan Member+

May 3, 2004
    Turtle Island
    :(

16. celito

celito Moderator
    Staff Member

Palmeiras
    Brazil
    Feb 28, 2005
    USA
    Club:
    Palmeiras Sao Paulo
    Nat'l Team:
    Brazil
    Lately Messi has returned either on time or early. Age catches up, but still ... a bit strange.

17. Ozora

Ozora Member+

Barcelona
    Spain
    Aug 5, 2014
    Club:
    Chelsea LFC
    we are finished:(

18. Ozora

Ozora Member+

Barcelona
    Spain
    Aug 5, 2014
    Club:
    Chelsea LFC
    pretty much sum up the last season but at least we need a decent defense so we wont suffer that liverpool defeat again

19. BocaFan

BocaFan Member+

Aug 18, 2003
    Queens, NY
    Unfortunately, just really difficult to stop Liverpool once they get rolling. Same thing almost happened to Man City in the Charity Shield last month. Through sheer luck the scoreline didn't reflect how much City were getting overrun in that second half, and that wasn't even at Anfield.

TitoTata repped this.
  20. evil_allan

evil_allan Member+

May 3, 2004
    Turtle Island

21. BocaFan

BocaFan Member+

Aug 18, 2003
    Queens, NY
    Damn, Messi needs to get back playing so his off-the-field whinging can stop.

22. evil_allan

evil_allan Member+

May 3, 2004
    Turtle Island
  23. unclesox

unclesox BigSoccer Supporter

Mar 8, 2003
    209, California
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    As much as can’t stand the checkered home shirt, the second and third kits more than make up for it. I’m loving that third shirt. Tempted to buy one.

BocaFan repped this.
  24. JoCryuff98

JoCryuff98 Member+

Barcelona
    Netherlands
    Jan 3, 2018
    Nat'l Team:
    Netherlands
    We have Ansu Fati. Calma calma

25. TitoTata

TitoTata Member+

Jun 26, 2014