Hindsight isn't 2020 - The 2019-20 Season Thread [R]

Discussion in 'Barcelona' started by Viscaelbarca, Jul 16, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. JoCryuff98

JoCryuff98 Member+

Barcelona
    Netherlands
    Jan 3, 2018
    Nat'l Team:
    Netherlands
    This man looks business and we should support him.

Attached Files:

2. BocaFan

BocaFan Member+

Aug 18, 2003
    Queens, NY
    Not for me.

I mean, sure, I'd like to be rich and maybe even well-known to a degree but he would have had that on his own. And he would've had an easy time getting a smoking wife, hotter than Shakira if he wanted to, and someone he would actually see more than a few times a month. With Shakira his fame and fortune increases 10-fold to the point where he can't even walk across the street without getting mobbed by media and fans. Obviously it works for him but I think it would kinda suck.

To each their own.

Danko and TitoTata repped this.
  3. unclesox

unclesox BigSoccer Supporter

Mar 8, 2003
    209, California
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    Xavi wants nothing to do with Bartomeu.
    Which makes me want the president ousted even more.

inswinger and celito repped this.
  4. unclesox

Mar 8, 2003
    209, California
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    There's a famous segment in Barca history involving Cruyff the player and Hennes Weisweiler (one of my favorite coaches) during the 1975-76 campaign. If you're not familiar with it, please check it out. I'm curious to hear your opinion on what happened.

5. JoCryuff98

JoCryuff98 Member+

Barcelona
    Netherlands
    Jan 3, 2018
    Nat'l Team:
    Netherlands
    Even if Setien does incredibly well, Bartomeu ain’t coming back next year. Major relief

6. Danko

Danko Member+

Barcelona
    Serbia
    Mar 15, 2018
    Did you guys know Setien is a very successful chess player who once played against several grandmasters like Kramnik and Kasparov? His highest career Elo is 2055. Anything over 2000 is a very high level player.

inswinger repped this.
  7. JoCryuff98

JoCryuff98 Member+

Barcelona
    Netherlands
    Jan 3, 2018
    Nat'l Team:
    Netherlands
    He’s a smart man

8. TitoTata

TitoTata Member+

Jun 26, 2014
    He’s gonna have to be to sort this mess out .. just hope he can get the best out of FDJ and Arthur ..

9. celito

celito Moderator
    Staff Member

Palmeiras
    Brazil
    Feb 28, 2005
    USA
    Club:
    Palmeiras Sao Paulo
    Nat'l Team:
    Brazil
    My theory is that Xavi did this also to make Bartomeu look bad and decrease his chances at elections next year.

10. JoCryuff98

JoCryuff98 Member+

Barcelona
    Netherlands
    Jan 3, 2018
    Nat'l Team:
    Netherlands
    Lowkey saved us

11. Rana catesbeiana

Mar 11, 2008
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    Yes. They all obviously train like top level pros. I mean honestly, the competition at the top of the football world is such that if you relax, you will drop quickly.

Not saying our team as a whole don't have weaknesses. Tactically, transfers-wise, mentally, and so on, everything could always be better. But I wouldn't say we suffer from lack of trying - they're trying their best, but currently it's only good enough for a certain kind of level (which, mind you, is still among the very high elite in the world football: the clubs that are currently better than us are very limited. Liverpool, but everyone else can't really make a case to be clearly better, and even Liverpool is playing above their expected goals/points level - they are great, but not THAT great).

For the record, I have nothing against coaches who emphasize hard work or signing hungry players. Just that I think we shouldn't underestimate the professionalism in the club. Many clubs/players work hard, doesn't mean they're going to succeed, in the circumstances where hard work is the bare minimum default).

inswinger and unclesox repped this.
  12. condor11

condor11 Moderator
    Staff Member

Apr 2, 2002
    New Zealand
    I see what you are saying but just to clarify...Rafinha and D Suarez were never good enough for Barca

Thiago is probably the last masia product who left well before his time

13. condor11

condor11 Moderator
    Staff Member

Apr 2, 2002
    New Zealand
    yeah but how many Champions league winners and finalists have scrapped their way trough the CL group stage?

14. condor11

condor11 Moderator
    Staff Member

Apr 2, 2002
    New Zealand
    he says great things but how is his team actually doing? I have no idea.

15. condor11

condor11 Moderator
    Staff Member

Apr 2, 2002
    New Zealand
    he won 3 from 6 in his two seasons

how many clubs won more major tournaments in last two seasons in top 4 leagues? The answer is none.

Barcelona - 3 from 6
    Juventus - 3 from 6
    Manchester City - 3 from 6
    Bayern Munich - 3 from 6
    Real Madrid - 1 from 6
    Liverpool - 1 from 6
    Lazio - 1 from 6
    Chelsea - 1 from 6
    Valencia - 1 from 6
    Eintracht Frankfurt - 1 from 6

inswinger, evil_allan, ShortyMac and 2 others repped this.
  16. condor11

condor11 Moderator
    Staff Member

Apr 2, 2002
    New Zealand
    from what I recall Pep was keen to move Pique on. Of course Pep left first but pretty sure if Pep stayed one more season, Pique was gone.

17. BocaFan

BocaFan Member+

Aug 18, 2003
    Queens, NY
    Probably quite a few, but never Barca. Every time Barca won the CL (under the existing format) they absolutely blew through the group-stage.

condor11 repped this.
  18. BocaFan

BocaFan Member+

Aug 18, 2003
    Queens, NY
    Yup, solid record. Absolutely should've been 4 though. I mean, has there ever been a team in a better position to lift the CL trophy with 2 games to go than Barca last season? Don't lose to an injury-riddled Liverpool by 4 goals and then beat an out-of-form Spurs team. That's it.

Not only was it the biggest choke that I can think of, I don't even think any past winner has ever been in such a luxurious position with 2 games to go. Even Bayern in 2013 was in a tougher position since they knew a tricky final awaited them. Madrid 2002 were in a comparable position as Barca 2019 with an easy-ish final awaiting them, but still only had a 2 goal advantage.

It's gonna be very difficult to ever let the 2019 CL go. :(

19. unclesox

Mar 8, 2003
    209, California
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    I let it go once this season began.
    And believing that Barca were quite fortunate to escape the first leg with a three goal victory helps clarify things for me.

20. condor11

condor11 Moderator
    Staff Member

Apr 2, 2002
    New Zealand
    personally I found the 7-0 aggregate trashing by Bayern to be more impactful

21. unclesox

Mar 8, 2003
    209, California
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    Interestingly it seems the Bayern thrashing was joked about more than the Anfield letdown.

22. JoCryuff98

JoCryuff98 Member+

Barcelona
    Netherlands
    Jan 3, 2018
    Nat'l Team:
    Netherlands
    People had this misconception that Pep was our manager during that time *smh*. We only lost considering we missed our key players and the team wasn’t mentally stable due to Vilanova’s condition. If Guardiola was there, we wouldn’t have been rekt and could’ve won

23. JoCryuff98

JoCryuff98 Member+

Barcelona
    Netherlands
    Jan 3, 2018
    Nat'l Team:
    Netherlands
    Btw I like Setien already. Hope we win the treble under his tenure

24. condor11

condor11 Moderator
    Staff Member

Apr 2, 2002
    New Zealand
    that was the first time "end of an era" was mentioned...next thing you know we get a treble...then Neymar leaves and it's another end of an era..we win la liga easily...let's see what happens now

unclesox and inswinger repped this.
  25. inswinger

inswinger Moderator
    Staff Member

May 17, 2001
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    I don't know if Bayern was joked about as much as it was explained away by: 1) Messi was injured/out of form, 2) Tito was away being treated for cancer, 3) ridiculous ref calls (esp. Múller's "moving pick" on Alba).