High school overtime

Discussion in 'Referee' started by voiceoflg, Apr 9, 2018.

1. RefIADad

RefIADad Member+

United States
    Aug 18, 2017
    Des Moines, IA
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Looking at these, I think Oregon has the best system. No need to decide a winner in the regular season, and a full extra time removes any advantages from weather, etc.

2. fairplayforlife

fairplayforlife Member+

Mar 23, 2011
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    More than likely no one has pressed he issue yet. They would fold like a cheap suit if they did.

YoungRef87 repped this.
  3. kayakhorn

kayakhorn Member+

Oct 10, 2011
    Arkansas
    Right. I was commenting because some people seem to find a single OT particularly objectionable, while not objecting to sudden victory in OT (like my state uses).

4. Bubba Atlanta

Bubba Atlanta Member+

Mar 2, 2012
    Yep, Atlanta
    Club:
    Atlanta United FC
    We have some private schools that schedule two refs for the girls match and then three for the boys immediately following. I've always kinda wondered about that too - especially as it only saves them about ten bucks.

YoungRef87 repped this.
  5. djmtxref

djmtxref Member

Apr 8, 2013
    In cases of limited resources (refs) we prioritize games based on the suspected difficulty of the games. Boys games tend to be harder to handle with a dual than are girls. By the same token, large schools tend to be harder than small schools. So girls and small school games are more likely to end up with two refs than are the larger school boys games.

Is that fair? I don't know. At least we haven't had to tell any schools we aren't covering their game tomorrow, which happens occasionally in other areas of the state.

YoungRef87 repped this.
  6. kayakhorn

kayakhorn Member+

Oct 10, 2011
    Arkansas
    Assignors are always trying to match referees with the games that need them most (better referees with games predicted to be more challenging) so I guess it's to be expected that when bodies are limited, the more challenging games will get a full crew and some of the "easier" games will be short a man. Last year I had an assignor put himself on a game set I was working, only to be shocked (shocked!) when he had to cancel at the last minute leaving us with a dual. NBD.

Larger schools in my area typically have one or two JV "games" followed by the VG and VB. They have taken to hiring a single referee for the JV and then bringing in the rest of the three man crew for the varsity. It saves them a little money and opens up more assignment possibilities for referees that can't make a 4:00 start so I don't have a big problem with it. I would have a problem with being asked to show up for just a VB game on a night where a VG was being played as well. So far that hasn't happened here to my knowledge.

7. Law5

Law5 Member+

Mar 24, 2005
    Beaverton OR
    In our area, I don't see any different treatment of high school boys' games than girls' games. Maybe that's because we have a woman assignor. :) "Resource allocation" seems to be primarily based on the size of the schools, as well as geography. (to drive from one side of the area we cover to the other, at weekday rush hour, would require allowing an hour and a half.) Smaller schools are the ones most likely to get two referees, although almost all schools these days ask for three. But there are always availability issues that can change the basic pattern. I've done large school varsity boys solo. Freshman and middle school games are always one referee.

8. ptref

ptref Member

Manchester United
    United States
    Aug 5, 2015
    Bowling Green, KY
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    HS overtime in KY

Regular Season
    District Games- kicks from the mark to determine a winner
    In season tournament where game must have a winner- KFTM
    Non-district- game ends in a tie

Post Season
    2 5-minute golden goal periods, then KFTM

9. fairplayforlife

fairplayforlife Member+

Mar 23, 2011
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Think you may want to check the procedure for regular reason district seeded games again PT.

https://khsaa.org/soccer/overtimeprocedure.pdf

10. frankieboylampard

Mar 7, 2016
    USA
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Spain
    #35 frankieboylampard, Apr 11, 2018
    Last edited: Apr 11, 2018
    Our area did something weird. Safety is a huge concern in our area and since we run in the winter time; in between the fall season and the spring season + cups. A huge concern is the amount of game time the kids play. So they higher-ups that be thought that playing only 2-10 min halves would be fine and then Kftm. Since they don't want the kids playing over "90 mins" of soccer.
    They are very specific on the rest times though "must be 5 mins between regular play, and 2 mins between each OT half, with a minimum 5 mins between Kftm and end of OT.

11. Kit

Kit Member+

Aug 30, 1999
    Herkimer, NY, USA
    Club:
    Everton FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I have asked the question why OT is different for boys and girls and was given an answer that was sexist. Someone in the state education department decided that it was unfair to have sudden death overtime for girls because they do not have the same athletic ability as boys. The example is if there is a strong wind with a shot on goal, a female goalkeeper might not have the strength/ability to jump high enough to stop the shot and it would be unfair since it is sudden death. Why that doesn't apply to boys too is beyond me. It sounds like a rule thought up in the 1940s.

12. IASocFan

IASocFan Moderator
    Staff Member

Aug 13, 2000
    IOWA
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Iowa used to have different OT procedures for boys and girls. Why? Two different organizations setting the rules. The girls used to do the 1-1 shootouts. After a few years of confusion, the two organizations agreed to the same rules (the boys rules). It made it a lot easier for everybody. We still have a few minor differences like tied games stopped by weather will be either played from the point of the game (boys) or declared a draw (girls).

13. VariableFeedback

Aug 3, 2009
    PA:

Regular Season (Varsity): 2x 10 Minute Golden Goal, no KFTM

District Playoffs: 2x 10 Minute Golden Goal, KFTM

State Tournament: 2x 15 Minute Golden Goal, KFTM

State Finals: 2x 20 Minute Golden Goal, KFTM

Not sure I understand the logic of making the kids play more extra time than the internationals, but haven't been asked my opinion.

14. code1390

code1390 Moderator
    Staff Member

Nov 25, 2007
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    High school soccer boggles my mind in so many different ways.

voiceoflg and YoungRef87 repped this.
  15. mathguy ref

mathguy ref Member+

Nov 15, 2016
    TX
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    As I mentioned earlier TX allows districts to decide which method to use in the regular season. Most choose to take a tie and hit the bus. Understandable as OT and kicks can take as much as an extra 45 minutes to pull off and a district can be schools 2 hours apart. That’s a long bus ride late at night. I can’t complain as it’s a long night for me too.

The problem is when they hit playoffs its OT + KFTPM. And many teams have no idea how to take kicks because they haven’t done it all season. They really are putting themselves at a disadvantage compared to a team that has taken them.

16. Bubba Atlanta

Bubba Atlanta Member+

Mar 2, 2012
    Yep, Atlanta
    Club:
    Atlanta United FC
    A point well taken (so to speak). In GA we are required to go to OT and KFTM in regular season same-division games. But in non-division games, we are also required to do so if the coaches agree and inform us of such before the start. It's not terribly unusual for coaches to do that for just that reason, i.e., to give their teams some experience before the playoffs.

I try to be careful not to say anything pregame that might plant that idea in their minds. (I accidentally did that the other night and it really ticked off my dual partner. I think he said some bad words in Russian.) :whistling:

roby repped this.
  17. seattlebeach

seattlebeach Member

AFC Richmond
    May 11, 2015
    Not Seattle, Not Beach
    WA: districts are mixed as well. Some are an immediate tie, some have 2x5 OT golden goal and then end in a tie, some have 2x5 OT no golden goal and then end in a tie. I don’t know any that require a winner (before playoffs). They also sometimes change season to season, and some of the districts closely overlap, so I know some refs just ask every game just so they don’t have to remember.

Playoffs are 2x5 OT golden goal (IIRC) and then KFTPM.

18. ptref

ptref Member

Manchester United
    United States
    Aug 5, 2015
    Bowling Green, KY
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I wasn't actually sure about that. Believe it or not, I didn't have a single OT game last year during the high school season.

19. Kit

Kit Member+

Aug 30, 1999
    Herkimer, NY, USA
    Club:
    Everton FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    PA also has 3 referees with 3 whistles and hand signals for fouls so they are strange when it comes to soccer all around.

Law5 and voiceoflg repped this.
  20. fairplayforlife

fairplayforlife Member+

Mar 23, 2011
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I don’t know how you make any money when you pay your ARs extra to call those last minute PKs. :cool:

roby and voiceoflg repped this.
  21. IASocFan

IASocFan Moderator
    Staff Member

Aug 13, 2000
    IOWA
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I had a Boys/girls middle school double header in Texas this year. Boys first - no desire to settle a draw. Girls - one coach was upset because I didn't allow a last minute sub. He wanted her on the pitch for the PKs. Yes, both girls coached wanted the 3 player KFTM. :thumbsdown:

22. Doug the Ref

Doug the Ref Member

Dec 6, 2005
    St. Louis
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

MISSOURI

Regular Season (Varsity): 2x 10 Minute Golden Goal, KFTM
    Regular Season Tournaments - Pool Play - No Winner Required - No OT

District & State Playoffs: 2x 15 Minute Golden Goal, KFTM