Hibs travel back in time: 2011/2 season

Discussion in 'Scotland' started by YankHibee, Jul 28, 2011.

1. YankHibee

YankHibee Member+

Mar 28, 2005
    indianapolis
    If you love something, let it go. If it comes back, it was meant to be.

Meant to be telling you that you're out of ideas. Let's see what these boys can do.

2. YankHibee

YankHibee Member+

Mar 28, 2005
    indianapolis
    Smash and grab at 92 minutes by O'Connor...that's 2 points Hibs wouldn't have had last season.

3. frasermc

frasermc Take your flunky and dangle

Celtic
    Scotland
    Jul 28, 2006
    Newcastle-Upon-Tyne
    Club:
    Celtic FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Scotland
    With O'Connor in the team you might just sneak into 9th this season.

Might...

4. YankHibee

YankHibee Member+

Mar 28, 2005
    indianapolis
    There are many questions still to be answered. Not the least of them is: is the league really as bad as it looks? Hibs have some real faults and some players it's hard to believe are actually paid. The other teams might just be worse.

5. frasermc

Celtic
    Scotland
    Jul 28, 2006
    Newcastle-Upon-Tyne
    Club:
    Celtic FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Scotland
    Obviously it's very early days but the opening game of the season was one of the poorest Hibs line-ups I've seen in many a year.

Yes, it was a very young team but quite a few of the youngsters don't look like they're going to be good enough to get Hibs back into the top 6... yet.

6. YankHibee

YankHibee Member+

Mar 28, 2005
    indianapolis
    Where were they the most lacking?

7. frasermc

Celtic
    Scotland
    Jul 28, 2006
    Newcastle-Upon-Tyne
    Club:
    Celtic FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Scotland
    Keeper looked stable enough. Gone are the Ma-Kalamby days. Although he did flap at our first goal. Other than that he had a decent afternoon between the sticks.

Middle of defence wasn't too bad. Middle of the park they looked very young and too easily bossed. O'Connor was isolated alone up front as well. If he's keeping the CB's busy then he's going to need support which was sadly lacking.

Sproule still has pace but I don't know how much regular football he's had lately so he may need some more games to get back to full match fitness.

Kids like Booth, Wotherspoon etc look like they have something there but they need more experience in the middle of the pitch. Someone like the Bouzeloun (is that the right French guy I'm thinking of...?) would do wonders for that team in its current form.

8. YankHibee

YankHibee Member+

Mar 28, 2005
    indianapolis
    Beuzelin...that's the one, always injured though. According to wiki he played last year at Olympiakos and it doesn't look like he has a team this year. Maybe Hibs should look him up. I wasn't a huge fan, but I think it is a bit unfortunate Rankin never got along with Calderwood and left.

9. frasermc

Celtic
    Scotland
    Jul 28, 2006
    Newcastle-Upon-Tyne
    Club:
    Celtic FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Scotland
    I suppose the one other main thing that stands out is the quality of the youngsters. As I said earlier there is potential there in some but it doesn't look like they'll get anywhere near the crop that had Brown, Thomson, Riordan, O'Connor etc.

10. YankHibee

YankHibee Member+

Mar 28, 2005
    indianapolis
    Yeah...this group, even if they had the skill, doesn't have the physicality of those. I also noticed a bit of pudge on O'Connor, which is something I hope resolves.