He's So Wondo! The continuing chronicle of Chris Wondolowski's career

Discussion in 'San Jose Earthquakes' started by TyffaneeSue, Sep 22, 2011.

1. JazzyJ

JazzyJ BigSoccer Supporter

Jun 25, 2003
    #2226 JazzyJ, Apr 20, 2017
    Last edited: Apr 20, 2017
    I'm not so convinced on the "man wide open" thing. There were two players in-between Wondo and Hyka. He would have had to really thread that pass. So I'm not sure that the shot was the wrong option. I think he was winding up to really slam it and because he was close enough that a really hard shot might be difficult for the keeper to stop even if it pretty easily reachable.

Having watched it a few times, I think falling on the ground was part of the plan, though I think he fell a little harder than he might have expected. He was just going to take a whack at it with his left foot without regard to staying on his feet. He just wanted to get everything on the shot that he could. What happens to his body after shooting was going to be immaterial.

That was a really sweet pass by Hoesen BTW. Just out of the reach of the GK and curling around the defenders.

2. jetdog9

jetdog9 Member+

Nov 14, 2007
    Bay Area, CA
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I for one don't think playing on turf is as big an issue as a lot of Quakes fans make it out to be... however in this particular case, you can actually see the weird hop the ball takes as Wondo is trying to kick it. I think the ball goes exactly where he wants it to if not for a last picosecond weird bounce that nobody could have adjusted to.

3. Earthshaker

Earthshaker BigSoccer Supporter

Sep 12, 2005
    The hills above town
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    No threading needed, Hyka was trailing the two defenders by at least two steps, Wondo just needed to cut it back to him. Wondo would have Garza'ed Hyka if the roles had been reversed.

4. JazzyJ

Jun 25, 2003
    It would have had to have been a really accurate pass. The defender close to Hyka could just step up and clear it if it isn't right on target and with pace. That is not an easy pass to make on the run. I mean the guy couldn't even make contact with the ball let alone hit an accurate correctly weighted pass behind him.

5. JazzyJ

Jun 25, 2003
    Why would the ball take a weird hop though? You expect turf to be a little different than grass, but consistent. Maybe there was a lot of spin on the ball and it behaved in a way that Wondo didn't expect on turf.

6. mjlee22

mjlee22 Quake & Landon fan

Nov 24, 2003
    near Palo Alto, CA
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    You've never played on turf?
    Neither The granules nor the plastic blades pack down uniformly. It's like playing on a shag rug in the sense that when they get matted, some blades point one way, others another way. And when wet, incredibly slippery. I took a bad fall in December and my shoulder is still crap from hitting the turf so hard.

Honore de Ballsac repped this.
  7. Earthshaker

Earthshaker BigSoccer Supporter

Sep 12, 2005
    The hills above town
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The ball would have been played behind the defenders. Kind of hard for the defenders to stop their momentum and move the opposite direction in a split second. Admit it, not only did Wondo whiff, he chose the wrong option.

8. JazzyJ

Jun 25, 2003
    There is nothing to "admit". We'll have to agree to disagree. Watch it again. The defender closest to Hyka had already stopped, pivoted with his right foot, and was moving back away from the Revs goal in the direction of the passing lane at the time Wondo took a whack at it. Hyka is the one whose momentum carried him further towards the goal, closing off the passing lane as he moves forward.

9. jetdog9

jetdog9 Member+

Nov 14, 2007
    Bay Area, CA
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Quietly with 4 assists through 9 games, all in draws or one goal victories (not that the Quakes have any other kind)...

Honore de Ballsac and don gagliardi repped this.
  10. falvo

falvo Member+

Mar 27, 2005
    San Jose & Florence
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    #2235 falvo, May 7, 2017
    Last edited: May 7, 2017
    Wondo scores two goals and gets an assist in the 3-0 win over the Timbers! We've all gone on record and criticized him and he keeps proving us wrong. The bottom line, he is a phenomenal forward. Once again, I don't see how he shouldn't be among the highest paid players in the league because his presence and his goals are invaluable. Keep up the great work Chris!

davez and tenfourteen repped this.
  11. FUAEG

FUAEG Member+

Oct 18, 2005
    San Jose
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    What do you mean "We", white man?

NedZ, Sactown Soccer and don gagliardi repped this.
  12. jetdog9

jetdog9 Member+

Nov 14, 2007
    Bay Area, CA
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    This is a dumb hypothetical since the pace isn't going to keep up, but if he has 13-14 goals and 17 ugly assists at the end of the season, would that be worthy of MVP consideration?

13. don gagliardi

don gagliardi Member+

San Jose Earthquakes
    Feb 28, 2004
    san jose
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Wondo is worthy of a statue in the plaza right now.

14. falvo

falvo Member+

Mar 27, 2005
    San Jose & Florence
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    Huh? We", white man? Don't get it......

15. Honore de Ballsac

Oct 28, 2005
    France.
    When Wondo got his second, Timbers had their heads down and there were still 35 minutes to play. Wondo dropped back into midfield, fought, fouled and opted to spray the ball wide rather than shoot. Scoring more goals is the only viable reply to the amount of shit heaped on his name - yet Wondo clearly wanted the shutout more than a hat trick. Such a legend.

16. scotto

scotto Member

Feb 13, 2001
    Bonny Doon, CA
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    ColinMcCarthy repped this.
  17. Honore de Ballsac

Oct 28, 2005
    France.
    Big Wondo homer, but hate the ballot stuffing. There's no way one of these Wondo goals were better than Villa's.

(Just as there's no doubt in my mind that Quincy scored the Goal of the Year last season. I know, I know.)

18. NedZ

NedZ Member+

May 19, 2001
    Los Gatos
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    It is a reference to an old Lone Ranger joke.

Sactown Soccer repped this.
  19. Goodsport

Goodsport Moderator
    Staff Member

May 18, 1999
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    [​IMG]

GO SAN JOSE EARTHQUAKES!!! :cool:

-G

20. Goodsport

Goodsport Moderator
    Staff Member

May 18, 1999
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    [​IMG]

GO SAN JOSE EARTHQUAKES!!! :cool:

-G

LouisianaViking07/09 repped this.
  21. falvo

falvo Member+

Mar 27, 2005
    San Jose & Florence
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
  22. LouisianaViking07/09

Aug 15, 2009
    How's his season going?

23. don gagliardi

don gagliardi Member+

San Jose Earthquakes
    Feb 28, 2004
    san jose
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Well enough to preserve confidence he will be the all-time MLS goal-scorer before he's done playing.

24. falvo

falvo Member+

Mar 27, 2005
    San Jose & Florence
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    #2249 falvo, Jul 2, 2017
    Last edited: Jul 2, 2017
    That will be tough. If he plays another fours years, he will be 38. Can he score 80 more goals in the next 4 years to catch LAndy? If he is reduced to a super sub role at an advanced age, the goals will become less with each passing year. I hope he can continue on at that pace but odds and time are against him.

25. SalinasQuakesFan

Mar 27, 2010
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Landon Donovan 145 G

Chris Wondolowski 128 G

According to MLS.com

By my math that is only a 17 G difference.