He's So Wondo! The continuing chronicle of Chris Wondolowski's career

Discussion in 'San Jose Earthquakes' started by TyffaneeSue, Sep 22, 2011.

1. don gagliardi

don gagliardi Member+

San Jose Earthquakes
    Feb 28, 2004
    san jose
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Wondo is ageless. He never fatigues.

2. SalinasQuakesFan

Mar 27, 2010
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    You do know that Wondo was a distance runner right? and he was recruited by more schools for his running than his soccer. So it would be safe to assume he has the stamina requiered for a "beep test"

3. bsman

bsman Member+

May 30, 2001
    MadCity
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Every professional soccer player should have "the stamina required for a "beep test.""!

tenfourteen, SoccerMan94043 and mjlee22 repped this.
  4. NedZ

NedZ Member+

May 19, 2001
    Los Gatos
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    According to Shea Salinas, everyone upped their "beep" game compared to last year. After learning what Almeyda required last year before and during the season, the players came in much fitter this year than in past preseasons.

5. Goodsport

Goodsport Moderator
    Staff Member

May 18, 1999
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Hopefully that wasn't just Shea Salinas using a swear word to describe their game. ;)

GO SAN JOSE EARTHQUAKES!!! :cool:

-G

6. Earthshaker

Earthshaker BigSoccer Supporter

Sep 12, 2005
    The hills above town
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    At least wives and girlfriends are going to be happier this season.

SalinasQuakesFan repped this.
  7. mjlee22

mjlee22 Quake & Landon fan

Nov 24, 2003
    near Palo Alto, CA
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Yes, i know he's said that in high school he could run for miles but at just one speed. And on some podcast, Wondo joked that he doesn't get injured because he doesn't have any muscles.

But that running ability is almost 20 years ago. I just don't think the beep test reflects Wondo's superior aging as much as a lack of upcoming comparably-fit-for-their-age young men. I know the 2019 team was fitter than every team before it, but if none of them but TT can beat Wondo, then to me, something is wrong with this picture.:cautious:

8. don gagliardi

don gagliardi Member+

San Jose Earthquakes
    Feb 28, 2004
    san jose
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    The 2020 Quakes team is basically the same as the 2019 Quakes team (as has been bemoaned on here repeatedly), and the 2019 team was MLS’ most fit team. Therefore Wondo winning the beep test is not a poor reflection on his teammates but underscores what a freakish marvel he is.

9. Earthshaker

Sep 12, 2005
    The hills above town
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Apparently not!!!!

10. falvo

falvo Member+

Mar 27, 2005
    San Jose & Florence
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    Wondo took some pics and then took off early yesterday and didn't stick around for the meet and greet.

11. vamanoshasta

vamanoshasta Member

Aug 12, 2006
    At the NCAA Women's Cup in December, Wondo was there with his wife, kids & mom (in-law?). We asked if we could take a group picture with him and he willingly obliged.

My friend wanted to talk to him and I indicated that we had taken up enough of his time and he said, "No problem!" and continued to talk to my friend. I turned to his wife & mom and said, "I'm really sorry" and they both smiled and said, "No problem!"

Really cool, approachable folks, those Wondolowskis!

12. falvo

falvo Member+

Mar 27, 2005
    San Jose & Florence
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    The old celebrity line always was...."I'll complain when they stop asking"!

13. vamanoshasta

vamanoshasta Member

Aug 12, 2006
    Heh, Yeah, but I got completely blown off by Godoy when I approached him once... in the Portland airport... and I was wearing my Quakes jersey!

Total D-bag move, in my book.

14. Earthshaker

Sep 12, 2005
    The hills above town
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    He was a D-bag d-mid?

15. don gagliardi

don gagliardi Member+

San Jose Earthquakes
    Feb 28, 2004
    san jose
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Godoy was very personable and interactive when I sat next to him at last season's wine and dine, and this was after his future rights had been traded to Nashville, so there was no angle in continued currying favor with Quakes fans.

Sometimes you just catch people on a bad hair day, so to speak.

bsman repped this.
  16. bsman

bsman Member+

May 30, 2001
    MadCity
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    I not infrequently feel sorry for 'recognizable' people, because they are expected to always be 'on' and are not allowed by fans to have a bad day. If they happen to be busy, or lost in thought, or otherwise not instantly welcoming and smiley, the word goes out that "X is an asshole, because he blew me off at the airport."

17. vamanoshasta

vamanoshasta Member

Aug 12, 2006
    People are human and I don't expect them to be "smiley" all the time, (I know I certainly am not), but when a fan spends hard earned money and flies to another city to support their team, a simple acknowledgment would've been nice. Godoy didn't even look at us.

My original point was that Wondo seems like a super nice guy and I appreciate that. I did tell him that one thing I will always remember about him will be the way he went around and engaged with all the fans after all the Buckshaw matches, even the games they lost. The looks on the kids faces after they got a photo or an autograph were priceless.

18. don gagliardi

don gagliardi Member+

San Jose Earthquakes
    Feb 28, 2004
    san jose
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Back in the Clash days in the 90s, when I was not yet a real fan, but casually attended a few games every year in fourth row center line seats on the east side that went for $20, I was struck not only by how affordable the games were relative to other professional sports, but by how much more organically festive the supporters (the Casbah) made the games -- and how accessible the players were in signing autographs for the kids in what I suppose was "autograph alley." It made a real impression on me. My (obsessive) love of the Quakes today is a direct outgrowth of that experience witnessing this.

Quakes05 and TyffaneeSue repped this.
  19. bsman

bsman Member+

May 30, 2001
    MadCity
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes

Wondo is a special case. He is definitely one of the most open, friendly, and genuinely nice people I've met during my time in soccer. There are only a few (e.g. Brian McBride, Joe Cannon, Jorge Campos, etc.) pros that I would put on that pedestal with Wondo.

20. don gagliardi

don gagliardi Member+

San Jose Earthquakes
    Feb 28, 2004
    san jose
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    What about Shea Salinas?

SeaJayBee repped this.
  21. bsman

bsman Member+

May 30, 2001
    MadCity
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Well, I didn't have time to think of/list everybody! ;)

There really are some folks who stand out as being particularly genuine people. Shea is one of those as well.

22. DotMPP

DotMPP 'Quakes fan in Stumptown

San Jose Earthquakes
    United States
    Jun 29, 2004
    SE Portland, OR
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I guess if you didn't get one then, they mailed you one in Jan? I got one in the mail in Jan (unless the one with the personal note is different than the one they gave out at the end of the season?)

23. TyffaneeSue

TyffaneeSue moderator
    Staff Member

Nov 15, 2003
    Upstairs
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    As years go by, the opportunities to meet players continue to diminish. Last year, we were invited to join one of the greeting lines -- where we got to slap the hands of players entering the field before the game. At Buck Shaw, that did not require a special invitation -- that was every game. Guitar Hero with Shea? Not happening again!

Quakes05 and mjlee22 repped this.
  24. SeaJayBee

SeaJayBee Member

Jun 23, 2008
    Saratoga
    I would add Pat Onstad and Craig Weibel to that list.

Quakes05, NedZ and bsman repped this.
  25. don gagliardi

don gagliardi Member+

San Jose Earthquakes
    Feb 28, 2004
    san jose
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Before he became MLS’s all-time leading scorer, a San Jose Earthquakes legend and one of the league’s ultimate out-of-nowhere success stories, Chris Wondolowski was dead broke.

This was 2005, and Wondolowski was an unknown, lightly-used rookie more focused on making ends meet than on making a name for himself with the Quakes. His salary was just $11,700 that first season. That’s around $400 per paycheck. Bar tabs, needless to say, weren’t in the budget.

One night, however, Wondolowski was determined to make an exception. He had just gone on his first road trip as a pro and, though he didn’t make it off the bench during the match, the Quakes took home a win. After the game, the team went to a local bar to celebrate. Wondolowski, ever the eager rookie, tagged along. On arrival, he made his way to an ATM. He wasn’t quite sure how much money he had in his bank account, but he was riding a high. He figured he’d enter his PIN and pray.

He tried to withdraw $40.

The ATM spat back a nasty message. Insufficient funds.

He tried to take out $20.

Another cruel collection of pixels. Insufficient funds.

“I’m like, ‘Oh my god, this is my first road trip, I gotta go out. I’ve got to,’” he said. “So I went back to the ATM and I pulled out $40. I took that surcharge, that overdraft fee. It was like a $40 fee to pull out $40, but I just couldn’t miss out and I didn’t want to ask anyone to help, so I paid $40 to take out $40, just so I could hang out.” . . . .

https://theathletic.com/1557058/2020/01/23/mls-minimum-salary-memories/

falvo and Quakes05 repped this.