Herzlich willkommen Karius

Discussion in 'Liverpool' started by speker, May 24, 2016.

1. White/Blue_since1860

Orange14 is gay
    Jan 4, 2007
    Bum zua City
    Club:
    TSV 1860 München
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    Perhaps the 2nd best keeper in Bundesliga. But Id like to see the sources who had Karius over Leno last season. But my short list would be as follows, and it is quite according to transfermarkts market values

45 mil Neuer
    18 mil Ter Stegen (not Buli)
    16 mil Leno
    10 mil Horn
    10 mil Trapp (not Buli)
    9 mil Karius

Ter Stegen, Leno, Horn and Karius are all in the famous 23/24 yo group

2. Donfather

Donfather Member+

Jun 1, 2015
    Club:
    Liverpool LFC
    Karius-gate has carried on into another day with Gary Neville commenting on Klopp's response....Karius will be under even more pressure than before in the Boro game

3. Donfather

Donfather Member+

Jun 1, 2015
    Club:
    Liverpool LFC
  4. SamScouse

SamScouse Member+

Jun 1, 2015
    Toronto
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    I am 100% against using a goalie who is learning their trade as your default starter. It's nuts!! Unlike other positions - eg our current teenagers - we don't have the luxury of seeing the goalie make mistakes as they learn. Goalie mistakes cost goals not just lost possession or missed scoring opportunities.

Plus I don't want us to suffer through a goalie's learning curve only to see them get sold to another team when they're the finished product.

The "DeGea theory" applied to Karius is just that - a theory. He may or may not work out at all, and in the meantime millions of us are hiding behind the couch every time the opposition gets anywhere near our goal. I've yet to see Karius do anything impressive for us - has anyone?

Many will likely disagree but at this point I'd be happy to see us throw Joe Hart a lifeline. He's far from an ideal choice but he has tons of experience and has something to prove in England.

5. Donfather

Donfather Member+

Jun 1, 2015
    Club:
    Liverpool LFC
    It's a tough one.....sticking with karius could cost Liverpool more points who knows? Or he may improve? The loss of coutinho, klopps gegen, dodgy defending and karius gate have further highlighted the gk issues and the amount of goals conceded

Where's manninger? Has he any fitness issues ?

Personally I would stick with karius given the opposition in the next few games

6. SamScouse

SamScouse Member+

Jun 1, 2015
    Toronto
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Klopp's now all-in with Karius as starting goalie, he won't be dropping him.

Wingtips1 repped this.
  7. LiverpoolFanatic

Liverpool FC, Philadelphia Union
    Feb 19, 2000
    Lancaster, PA
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Until today.

8. White/Blue_since1860

Orange14 is gay
    Jan 4, 2007
    Bum zua City
    Club:
    TSV 1860 München
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    When I saw the lineup before the game I thought he's giving him a pause and taking him out of the line of fire just when a midweek game like the cup games offers the opportunity to give Migs some playing time. The drop isnt completed as long as Migs hasnt started to play the next games as well.

9. SamScouse

SamScouse Member+

Jun 1, 2015
    Toronto
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    every time I make a prediction, bet the other way, you can't go wrong. :)

LiverpoolFanatic repped this.
  10. newterp

newterp Moderator
    Staff Member

Jun 6, 2007
    North Potomac, MD
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    All of us thought he wouldn't drop him.

ewibe repped this.
  11. Donfather

Donfather Member+

Jun 1, 2015
    Club:
    Liverpool LFC
    In hindsight it was the right decision....a couple of games later it will be all forgotten

Karius was getting slaughtered in the media and Klopp had enough

12. ryered

ryered Member+

Jan 15, 2007
    Hill Country
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    --other--
    #62 ryered, Dec 15, 2016
    Last edited: Dec 15, 2016
    I had Klopp nailed on to start Karius just to stick it to the Rat Boys.

And I'm keeping faith in the lad, I was one of the ones sh*tting all over Lallana and Lovren in the beginning and look at them now. I for one am keeping an open mind on Karius.

13. burning247

burning247 Member+

Liverpool FC
    England
    Sep 16, 2000
    Dallas
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    I have nothing against Karius, he will make a fine keeper eventually. However, we have to play on form and he isn't our form keeper at the moment. Migs had a good game yesterday and got the shutout. Migs has also had his time to work on his decision making. I say we stick with him until form tells us otherwise.

Wingtips1 repped this.
  14. SamScouse

SamScouse Member+

Jun 1, 2015
    Toronto
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    yep.

15. Red Bird

Red Bird Member+

Sep 30, 2003
    Oxford
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    I am still unconvinced by Lovren but he has certainly improved this season.

16. Wingtips1

Wingtips1 Member+

May 3, 2004
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    I can see Gomez and Matip making a fantastic pairing next year.
    Lovren would be a very good 3rd option.

17. White/Blue_since1860

Orange14 is gay
    Jan 4, 2007
    Bum zua City
    Club:
    TSV 1860 München
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    One could say Klopp in general never really cared about having a world beater in goal. All the goalies at Mainz were kinda average to "quirky" solutions like they seemed to have the mentality but not the quality. Weidenfeller was average at best before Klopp came and turned out a decent choice but not like he was up there with Neuer. Langerak now plays with Stuttgart 2nd Buli.

The whole purpose of gegenpressing is to keep the opposition under pressure all the time and away from the own goal so that it doesnt really matter who plays back in there as long as it is an avarage goalie with distribution skills and Karius is that. Migs is an average keeper minus the distribution. But, perhaps, average just isnt enough in EPL for title runs. Perhaps you got to have a good goalie - we will find out soon enough.

18. Red Bird

Red Bird Member+

Sep 30, 2003
    Oxford
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    Not perhaps- definitely need a better than average keeper to win the title in England.

19. And he was elected for the UEFA Star Team of the qualifying round of the Europa League!

20. Dage

Dage Moderator
    Staff Member

Jun 4, 2008
    Berlin
    Club:
    Borussia Mönchengladbach
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    Google some Pamela Reif for his girlfriend. :geek::)

21. burning247

burning247 Member+

Liverpool FC
    England
    Sep 16, 2000
    Dallas
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    Hope he handles the ball(s) better with her...

[​IMG]

MetroChile repped this.
  22. White/Blue_since1860

Orange14 is gay
    Jan 4, 2007
    Bum zua City
    Club:
    TSV 1860 München
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Karius + Mignolet = ?

cabriolet

[​IMG]

23. Wingtips1

Wingtips1 Member+

May 3, 2004
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    what did we say about you Gerries and humor?!?!?!

24. jeffcoop

jeffcoop BigSoccer Supporter

Jul 11, 2006
    Central Indiana
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    When my local team, Indy Eleven, was preparing to start play in 2014, its first signing was veteran German keeper Kristian Nicht. Most of us didn't expect him to be brilliant--he had already been playing lower-league soccer in the US, after all. But we did expect a certain basic level of competence. We didn't get it, really. He made the occasional good save, but he did nothing to help organize the defense. And, too often, when a shot came, he didn't move. The ball would fly goanward, and he would remain rooted in place. Nicht was a big part of why Indy was so terrible for the club's first two seasons.

Karius's performance yesterday reminded me of Nicht. It wasn't as extreme, but it definitely had the same character.

25. White/Blue_since1860

Orange14 is gay
    Jan 4, 2007
    Bum zua City
    Club:
    TSV 1860 München
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    Nicht was a terrible 2nd Buli keeper who didnt come out of one of the great goalkeeping schools what did you expect?