HELP! My I TUNES Library disappeared!!!

Discussion in 'Technology' started by Iplayedforchelsea, Sep 6, 2006.

1. Iplayedforchelsea

Iplayedforchelsea New Member

Mar 23, 2004
    Athens, GA USA
    So I bought a used copy of the Beastie Boy's album Paul's Boutique, went home to put it on my Ipod, a low and behold there is NOTHING in my I Tunes library. Which is funny because the night before there were @ 4,000 songs in it.

Is there anything I can do? Can someone recommend an I Pod to hard drive program. I found some, but don't know which ones to trust. Do those program actually work?

Some other remedy/ideas would be appreciated!

2. JeremyEritrea

JeremyEritrea Member+

Jun 29, 2006
    Takoma Park, MD
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  3. sarabella

sarabella BigSoccer Supporter

Jun 22, 2004
    UK
    I've used two or three programs to get songs off my iPod, but like hell if I can remember what they were called now. Check out www.ilounge.com - they always have good recommendations and solutions.

If you really did erase your library, it shouldn't be difficult to get them off your iPod. The problem is that I haven't found a program that saves your ratings and playlits - that always annoyed me to no end.

4. Dante

Dante Moderator
    Staff Member

Nov 19, 1998
    Upstate NY
    Club:
    Juventus FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    What would Apple do? They don't recommend any of the iPod to Comp transfer programs, purely due to the "don't share files" stance with the RIAA.

5. Publius

Publius Member+

May 22, 2001
    Alexandria, VA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Some programs are free and some aren't. I recently downloaded iPod Access from www.ipodaccess.com. It cost about $15. It will save your playslists and ratings from your iPod. They've just released an upgraded version which I haven't used yet. The older one worked just fine after a couple of false starts.

6. JeremyEritrea

JeremyEritrea Member+

Jun 29, 2006
    Takoma Park, MD
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Apple could help him find his missing "iTunes Music Library.xml" and "iTunes Library.itl" files.

7. dark knight

dark knight Super Moderator
    Staff Member

Dec 15, 1999
    Club:
    Leicester City FC
    I use freemymusic, but it's for mac only I think.

8. theworm2345

theworm2345 Member

Jun 30, 2005
    Chicago, IL, USA
    Nat'l Team:
    Ireland Republic
    Your iTunes Library is held in an XML file in My Documents called Library. Open it up and see if there is anything inside.

9. JeremyEritrea

JeremyEritrea Member+

Jun 29, 2006
    Takoma Park, MD
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Seriously, call Apple. They will at least be able to tell you where the files you're missing should be located on your hard drive.

You didn't even mention if you're running a Mac or a PC.

I store my iTunes library on an external hard drive which I take back and forth to the office. I attach it to my home PC and my work PC and manage the library by manually copying the two iTunes library files between the "My Documents\My Music\iTunes" folder before I launch iTunes on whichever machine I'm updating.

Managing the library files is really simple if you figure out how to do it. However, I'm going to assume that trying to explain it to you here will turn into an exercise in futility and frustration for both of us. Which is why I suggest you call Apple. They will be able to help you troubleshoot what went wrong, and even tell you how to back up the files to ensure you don't lose your library again.

Apple's tech support hot line is excellent.

10. Iplayedforchelsea

Iplayedforchelsea New Member

Mar 23, 2004
    Athens, GA USA
    Thanks everyone for the help. :)

As soon as I get home I will see what can do with some of this advice.

11. dark knight

dark knight Super Moderator
    Staff Member

Dec 15, 1999
    Club:
    Leicester City FC
    Just be careful you don't accidentally also wipe out your Ipod.

12. Kryptonite

Kryptonite BS XXV

Apr 10, 1999
    Columbus
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Couldn't he open his ipod through my computer, similar to a USB or thumb drive? I know I was able to put songs on my ipod that way, back when it was working (i've been procrastinating on getting a new one.)

13. noaihmtch

noaihmtch Red Card

Mar 12, 2005
    Great Japan
    apple products are so unstable. it's not you had a bad luck but it was inevitable when you decided to use itunes. blame apple. it's all their fault

14. mritalian1210

mritalian1210 Member

Jun 10, 2004
    Northern Jersey
    Club:
    AC Milan
    You're kidding, right? Have you ever owned an Imac or any other apple product for that matter. I'm using the new Imac, and can honestly say im in love.

15. bostonsoccermdl

bostonsoccermdl Moderator
    Staff Member

Apr 3, 2002
    Denver, CO

I hate Itunes and I hate the entire Ipod line. More so Itunes, as once you get the Ipod programmed, it works great. The problem is, once you make a change, you feel like you are walking on eggshells, b/c you will screw it up... Happened to me a few times. Enough where it isnt worth the hassle.

I have had one problem after another with Itunes whether it be installation, transfering, inadvertantly erasing songs when trying to charge on a friends computer..

I sometimes wish Apple would adopt "simple is better" when it comes to the Ipod/Itunes.

I have had 2 other MPs players and both were easy to install and easy to use. Never had a problem.
    The only reason I got rid of them is that as newer technology came out they got smaller, cheaper, and held more songs. So I gave apple a shot.

Itunes try to hard with all of their options. just let me transfer the damn music when I want and how I want.

I wouldnt care if the customer service or troubleshooting guides were more complete, but they arent. That sucks too, and god forbid they supply a live rep to talk to...

16. JeremyEritrea

JeremyEritrea Member+

Jun 29, 2006
    Takoma Park, MD
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I've never had problems with iTunes.

17. Publius

Publius Member+

May 22, 2001
    Alexandria, VA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    My biggest pet peeve with iTunes and the iPod is when you need to restore your iPod and the iPod updater consistently freezes on initialization, preventing you from being able to do so. Wasted a couple of hours of my day yesterday messing with that problem.:(