Help Jonathan Dale Recover

Discussion in 'Columbus Crew' started by hardhead, Aug 3, 2018.

1. hardhead

hardhead Moderator
    Staff Member

Aug 19, 2008
    NEO
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    https://www.gofundme.com/help-jonathan-dale-recover

A friend and mentor of mine, Dave Ewoldsen, is a Crew supporter that some of you may know. He posted this fundraiser online earlier and said people were welcome to share. He outlines that another Crew fan, Jonathan Dale, put himself in harms way to protect Dave's son and others from an attack from TFC fans earlier this semester. He was badly burned and spent 20 days in the hospital. Please read the message below, or click the link above to see it at the website.

2. Crew Chuck35

Crew Chuck35 Member+

Apr 13, 2009
    Gahanna, OH
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The league needs to address the issues with TFC douche bag fans and others around the league. I saw video last week of LAFC fans harassing Gal fans going into the stadium. Totally uncalled for. This isn’t Europe, get over yourselves.

3. west ham sandwich

Feb 26, 2007
    C-bus
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Assuming there's some corroboration to this story*, I would hope the TFC would put in a pretty good chunk toward this.

*I'm not personally calling this account into question. I just wouldn't expect TFC or MLS to do anything if there's no evidence to its truthfulness.

Ch(Elsey) repped this.
  4. hardhead

hardhead Moderator
    Staff Member

Aug 19, 2008
    NEO
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Here are a couple news stories from that day. The police confirm the incident happened and they referred the fan who got burnt (Jonathan) to get medical attention, but he fled the scene without giving a report. They were seeking the identity of the TFC fans but this makes it sound like no one cooperated with them. I have no idea what is going on with that.

https://abc6onyourside.com/news/local/crew-sc-fan-assaulted-en-route-to-match

https://www.prosoccerusa.com/mls/co...f-fan-fight-hope-for-assistance-from-victims/

west ham sandwich repped this.
  5. hardhead

hardhead Moderator
    Staff Member

Aug 19, 2008
    NEO
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
  6. Ch(Elsey)

Ch(Elsey) Member+

Columbus Crew
    United States
    May 2, 2003
    Green, Ohio
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I do not know Dave or Jonathan, but I do know TFC “fans” are the worst scum (and I have been to away Crew-Fire games x10 or something so that says much to the level of scum).

Edit: Fire fans are scum, as well.

CrewV Man repped this.
  7. Kryptonite

Kryptonite BS XXV

Apr 10, 1999
    Columbus
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    #7 Kryptonite, Aug 4, 2018
    Last edited: Aug 4, 2018

There seems to be a healthy respect amongst the fans of the original teams. I feel it stems from just knowing we all had to get along in order for the league to survive. If a random Colorado-KC or Columbus-New England game in 1997 was marred by thuggery and ended with fans in jail because "you're not wearing my colors! Let's meet outside the stadium" I'm not sure the league would still be around.

I'm not sure I can say the same about fans of the others. Sure, DC-Metro has had a couple incidents, but compare that to Chicago's thugs, TFC trying to actively destroy our stadium, or even the LA-LAFC incident. I'm not sure, but hasn't Atlanta had a few incidents with Orlando or is that just online banter?

As far as I know, Columbus fans have never had any incidents with fans of original teams, outside of some banter and it seems most of that was from when the rivalry with DC was a thing.

And the worst thing? I'm not sure Garber really cares outside fining a team or threatening to ban a few individuals or take away tifo for a few games. Let's see something real like docking points. Garber is too busy drooling over the newest team's attendance.

puttputtfc repped this.
  8. CrewV Man

CrewV Man Member+

Aug 18, 2011
    Columbus
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    $11k in 2 days is not bad.

9. CybrSlydr

CybrSlydr Member+

Columbus Crew
    United States
    Jun 30, 2013
    Casper, WY
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    "Inch wide, mile deep" indeed.

10. ibrew

ibrew Member+

Feb 3, 2008
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Did he flee or rush to the hospital with third degree burns on his leg?

11. POdinCowtown

POdinCowtown Member+

Jan 15, 2002
    Columbus
    There's also a victims of crime fund which might be able to help a little.