Hello! Why don't Hakan Unsal, and Emre Asik, play for the national team anymore?

Discussion in 'Turkey' started by Terim is a legend, Nov 4, 2005.

1. Terim is a legend

Nov 4, 2005
    UK
    Hello! Why don't Hakan Unsal, and Emre Asik, play for the national team anymore? Are they not good enough, as I was under the impression that they are both better than Alpay, and did they retire, or were they simp0ly dropped, as in ther 1st 5 qualifiers you conceded 5 goals, the same amount you conceded in 8 Euro qualifiers, and this coincided with the lack of Asik and Unsal. Are they available for the playoff v Switzerland next week?

2. Terim is a legend

Nov 4, 2005
    UK
    Come on Turkey fans, answer me!

3. Manny

Manny New Member

Jun 7, 2002
    Denmark
    Hakan Ünsal doesn't play for Galatasaray anymore. I can't remember where he went, but he is not the player he used to be.
    I think Emre Asik was released from his contract in Besiktas before this season. I don't know where he plays anymore either. Both players are nowhere near a place in the turkish national team.

4. Terim is a legend

Nov 4, 2005
    UK
    Okay, they were in 2003, but not now?

5. Manny

Manny New Member

Jun 7, 2002
    Denmark
    No not anymore.

6. Terim is a legend

Nov 4, 2005
    UK
    Well, what went wrong for them, then? Did they retire after the defeat to Latvia, or something? Were they dropped after that defeat?

7. Manny

Manny New Member

Jun 7, 2002
    Denmark
    They didn't retire from the national team, they just did not get picked. Hakan Ünsal didn't do well in Galatasaray after the WC 2002 and rarely played. I think his contract was cancelled during the summer break but I am not sure.

Emre Asik was never a regular for the national team. He did pretty well for Besiktas for a while. Besiktas have bought quite a few new defenders over the past 12 months or so, so Emre was no longer needed.
    Both players are about 32 years old now, so I don't think they will ever get back on the national team.

8. Terim is a legend

Nov 4, 2005
    UK
    Well, why did Alpay get back on the national team, he is 32, and had his contract cancelled by Villa?

9. Manny

Manny New Member

Jun 7, 2002
    Denmark
    Alpay plays for Fc Köln and he is doing pretty well.

10. Terim is a legend

Nov 4, 2005
    UK
    But he is old though, I mean I thought you were supposed to gwet rid of all the old guard, and rebuild the team, like Yanal did, bvut Terim brought back Sukur, Sas, Davala, Alpay, Sergen, Buruk, Karan. Hardly building for the future, is it?

11. cintosun

cintosun New Member

Sep 9, 2005
    Sergen and Davala have not been brought back. He's bringing back players who are in form. Umit Karan was first named to the squad for their previous matches against Germany and Albania but I think he was injured, and hasn't been named for Turkey's upcomming matches. Buruk and Alpay have been playing well. Alpay was by far our best defender in the 2002 World Cup, and he's still playing very well.

12. Terim is a legend

Nov 4, 2005
    UK
    Nonetheless, it is not wise to bring back old players. uefa.com said Davala wasa in the squad in Kiev, and I swear Sergen Yalcin was called back. Also, it is rumoured that Yanal was sacked for not playting Sukur, and the Gala lobby got him the sack for that!

13. cintosun

cintosun New Member

Sep 9, 2005
    Wow, he wasn't sacked for not bringing Sukur. He was sacked for the poor results that he had, and a bunch of other things lead from there.
    Here's the squad:

Turkey squad
    Goalkeepers: Volkan Demirel (Fenerbahçe SK), Rüştü Reçber (Fenerbahçe SK), Orkun Uşak (MKE Ankaragücü).

Defenders: Ümit Özat (Fenerbahçe SK), İbrahim Toraman (Beşiktaş JK), Servet Çetin (Fenerbahçe SK), Alpay Özalan (1. FC Köln), Tolga Seyhan (FC Shakthar Donetsk), Serkan Balcı(Fenerbahçe SK), Fatih Akyel (PAOK FC).

Midfielders: Selçuk Şahin (Fenerbahçe SK), Necati Ateş(Galatasaray SK), Hasan Şaş (Galatasaray SK), Ergün Penbe (Galatasaray SK), Tümer Metin (Beşiktaş JK), Okan Buruk (Beşiktaş JK), Ibrahim Akın (Beşiktaş JK), Hüseyin Çimşir(Trabzonspor), Yıldıray Baştürk (Hertha BSC Berlin), Hamit Altıntop (FC Schalke 04), Nuri Şahin (BV Borussia Dortmund), Emre Belözoğlu (Newcastle United FC).

Forwards: Tuncay Şanlı (Fenerbahçe SK), Fatih Tekke (Trabzonspor), Nihat Kahveci (Real Sociedad de Fútbol), Halil Altıntop (1. FC Kaiserslautern), Serhat Akin (RSC Anderlecht), Hakan Şükür (Galatasaray SK), Gökhan Ünal (Kayserispor)

14. Terim is a legend

Nov 4, 2005
    UK
    You had rebuilt the team from scratch, and you had got rid of your best coach ever, and yet, in a really hard group in which yopu are 2nd with a mostly new team, you sack the coach?! Great gratitude that!

15. cintosun

cintosun New Member

Sep 9, 2005
    Will you shutup? Have you even watched this team play? Since Fatih Terim has been appointed, Turkey has been playing much better than before. The players are much more confident, and they are now scoring those timely goals. Something that they haven't been able to do under Ersun Yanal. I really don't get why you are arguing, when your username is Terim is a legend.

16. Terim is a legend

Nov 4, 2005
    UK
    Well, where would you have finished under Gunes, and the team you had in Euro 2004 qualifiers?

17. HakanGS

HakanGS Member

Apr 19, 2005
    Texas & Turkiye
    Club:
    Galatasaray SK
    Nat'l Team:
    Turkey
    Cintosun I think you misunderstood him. :) He is saying the same thing.

18. Terim is a legend

Nov 4, 2005
    UK
    I am saying that had you retained Gunes, and the players who were retired:-
    Alpay, Asik, Unsal, Tugay, Sergen, Sas, Davala, Sukur, Penbe, Karan, who left after the Latvia defeat, then you would have topped your qualifying group!

19. Terim is a legend

Nov 4, 2005
    UK
    And, he also brought back Penbe!
    A team that were retired, excludsiung the goalkeeper:-
    Unsal Asik Alpay Davala
    Tugay
    Sas Penbe Sergen
    Sukur Karan

20. Terim is a legend

Nov 4, 2005
    UK