Hello Cleveland

Discussion in 'Cleveland' started by C. B., Jan 6, 2014.

1. Salacious Bum

Salacious Bum Member

Jun 5, 2010
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Where are you getting this? Purely curious. Thanks.

2. Tobias C

Tobias C Member+

Columbus Crew
    United States
    Mar 6, 2014
    Toledo, OH
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Yeah I was barely paying attention to lower division soccer at that time but I remember City Stars games at Krenzler Field (CSU) downtown we're on TV.....i forget what channel but I live in Toledo and could watch them so it must of been one of the regional sports networks. I don't remember why they moved to the high school stadium out in the burbs. I'm assuming because Krenzler is small (1600 cap.) and Bedford HS held 5,000 and the team was moving up. Krenzler is a good location though and the capacity makes for an intimate and full little atmosphere.

AFC Cleveland has played at like 5 different fields since 2012. I wonder if they would do better attendance wise if they were downtown. Does anyone in metro Cleveland know if they do much in the way of advertising? Detroit City, in the same league, has created so much hype that they outdraw the majority of USL and NASL teams. It seems like there's gotta be some feasible room to grow. Maybe they just don't have the money to get their name out there well?

3. Salacious Bum

Salacious Bum Member

Jun 5, 2010
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Outside of social media, I have never seen any advertising. Not a billboard, not a radio spot. Apparently they do some promotions with local youth clubs though.

Tobias C repped this.
  4. xu9697

xu9697 New Member

FC Cincinnati
    United States
    Jul 10, 2017
    New to the site, big soccer fan and would love to see something happen in Cleveland. That search brought me here a few months ago. I hope things are heating up enough to push into reality either a partnership/renovation of Krenzler or a 4,000 or so seat soccer specific facility. I will continue to follow.

Tobias C and Zips15 repped this.
  5. Zips15

Zips15 Member

Aug 11, 2016
    Club:
    Wolverhampton Wanderers
    27,934 announced attendance for the USMNT game

6. Zips15

Zips15 Member

Aug 11, 2016
    Club:
    Wolverhampton Wanderers
    Considering all the circumstances (B/C USA team, bore of an opponent in Nicaragua, unimportant tourney, and lack of legit club presence in the area to advance the game year-round), I was not overly disappointed or happy about the attendance. Right about where I expected. Don't tell that to Seattle fans on Twitter tho...

Tobias C repped this.
  7. CCSUltra

CCSUltra Member+

Nov 18, 2008
    Cleveland
    Club:
    Hertha BSC Berlin
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    It was fine attendance. Just frustrating because we will always get good crowds for national team matches, but no one seems to care for local teams.

As for AFCCLE, there is no marketing budget. The team doesn't really have much money to spend. I've been impressed they've lasted as long as they have. I enjoy the games (though this season was really disappointing) but Independence is a bit out of the way. I've never been able to get anyone to come out to games, there's nothing to do nearby and it's a 20 minute drive from downtown.

8. CCSUltra

CCSUltra Member+

Nov 18, 2008
    Cleveland
    Club:
    Hertha BSC Berlin
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Well, looks like USL is happening...

Zips15 repped this.
  9. Zips15

Zips15 Member

Aug 11, 2016
    Club:
    Wolverhampton Wanderers
    What else/specifics you know?

10. Zips15

Zips15 Member

Aug 11, 2016
    Club:
    Wolverhampton Wanderers
    What else/specifics do you know?

11. CCSUltra

CCSUltra Member+

Nov 18, 2008
    Cleveland
    Club:
    Hertha BSC Berlin
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Likely will start in 2019. Group is working on land for a stadium within the city.

I can't say/don't know much more in ways of specifics. I trust the people I've heard things from, I'd like to think folks on here would know I wouldn't just make shit up.

12. Zips15

Zips15 Member

Aug 11, 2016
    Club:
    Wolverhampton Wanderers
    Good to hear on the stadium location. I'm sure that will be a tough process. Wonder when an announcement will happen.

13. oneeyedfool

oneeyedfool Member+

Nov 17, 2012
    Club:
    New York Cosmos
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Tobias C repped this.
  14. Zips15

Zips15 Member

Aug 11, 2016
    Club:
    Wolverhampton Wanderers
    THIS IS BIG [emoji460]️[emoji460]️[emoji460]️

Tobias C repped this.
  15. Tobias C

Tobias C Member+

Columbus Crew
    United States
    Mar 6, 2014
    Toledo, OH
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    We appreciate the info, even if it's limited. Just nice to hear that there's something going on.

16. CCSUltra

CCSUltra Member+

Nov 18, 2008
    Cleveland
    Club:
    Hertha BSC Berlin
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    What I've heard sounds good. It's similar to the USL info that was discussed months ago. I'm not sure if this is the same group as before, but it's possible. The net worth seems to match up.

I do wonder if this means the end for AFCCLE or if they'd want to become a B side in the PDL.

Tobias C repped this.
  17. Zips15

Zips15 Member

Aug 11, 2016
    Club:
    Wolverhampton Wanderers
    https://newsok.com/usl-to-create-central-conference/article/5557301

Potential 2019 Central?: OKC, Tulsa, STL, San Antonio, Louisville, Nashville, RGV, Cincinnati, SPR, Birmingham, Colorado Springs, Cleveland (12)

Via Chris Kivlehan

Very spread out and travel costs will be harder on central than other divisions. But I ain't complaining [emoji41].

Here's other potential conferences:

2019 East?: TFC2, Rochester, NYRB2, Bethlehem, Harrisburg, Richmond, Charlotte, Charleston, Orlando B, Tampa Bay, DC2, Pittsburgh (12)

2019 West?: WFC2, S2/Tacoma?, T2/Boise?, RSL2, Reno, Sac Republic, Los Dos, Orange County, Phoenix, Las Vegas, San Francisco, Fresno (12)

18. oneeyedfool

oneeyedfool Member+

Nov 17, 2012
    Club:
    New York Cosmos
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    To be clear, three conferences is happening but the teams in conferences is just speculation on my part. But that layout would sort of make sense for USL. My guess is Ottawa jumps ship to CanPL in 2019 at latest.

19. Zips15

Zips15 Member

Aug 11, 2016
    Club:
    Wolverhampton Wanderers
    Speculation alright by me since we don't have much more to go off of. I think it makes sense for the most part. I would like to see Pittsburgh in same conference as Cleveland tho. Built-in animosity (that's been stored up since basically 94) and sooo close.

20. oneeyedfool

oneeyedfool Member+

Nov 17, 2012
    Club:
    New York Cosmos
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    If you had to choose between being in the East with Pittsburgh or in the Central with Cincinnati and Louisville which would you choose?

21. Zips15

Zips15 Member

Aug 11, 2016
    Club:
    Wolverhampton Wanderers
    The latter. But I like to have my cake and eat it too haha. Only because of Cincinnati though I don't think Louisville matters as much.

Definitely want to compete against Cincinnati. If Cleveland can bring a similar level of energy and enthusiasm to the club as Cincinnati has done then that will be a great derby.

22. Tobias C

Tobias C Member+

Columbus Crew
    United States
    Mar 6, 2014
    Toledo, OH
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    You said this group is already working on acquiring land for a stadium. Do you know if they intend on starting out in an existing venue and will move into the new digs when it's ready or if they're going to wait to debut as a team with their hypothetical new stadium?

23. CCSUltra

CCSUltra Member+

Nov 18, 2008
    Cleveland
    Club:
    Hertha BSC Berlin
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I have no idea about that. All I know is that what midfield press has reported is going to happen, 2019 the expected start. I don't have first hand knowledge, have just heard from people in the soccer community here that I have no reason to doubt.

Group has also filed for a trademark for a name, but I have no idea if they're actually going to use it. Tracked that down myself.

Tobias C repped this.
  24. Salacious Bum

Salacious Bum Member

Jun 5, 2010
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    I will buy you several beers at the first game if you give us a hint...

25. CCSUltra

CCSUltra Member+

Nov 18, 2008
    Cleveland
    Club:
    Hertha BSC Berlin
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    It's a local group, I'll say that. As far as I know, they don't own any other professional teams, but they definitely aren't an unknown.

Honestly, midfield press has been great on this. They probably have more in-depth info than I do. I only know what I do because some friends more tied in than I am reached out after I commented about the article.

Tobias C repped this.