Heather Mitts to appear on The Late Late Show tonight

Discussion in 'USA Women: News and Analysis' started by tiej, May 27, 2004.

1. tiej

tiej New Member

Nov 17, 2002
    Winston Salem, NC
    May 27, 2004 - LOS ANGELES - (Thursday, May 27, 2004) - WUSA Philadelphia Charge and U.S. women's national soccer team defender Heather Mitts will appear on CBS's "The Late Late Show with Craig Kilborn" tonight (Thursday evening) at 12:35 am (check local listings for the specific time in your area). Mitts, who will discuss the upcoming WUSA Soccer Festivals, will join Tom Arnold and the rock band Blondie as guests on the program.

http://www.oursportscentral.com/services/releases/?id=3040196&l_id=&t_id=

2. FearM9

FearM9 New Member

Jul 14, 2000
    On my bike
    THIS IS LUDICROUS!!!! I can't believe Heather Mitts is using her sexuality to promote the league!!!!!!!!!! Next thing you know all you'll hear at USWNT games is "HEATHER!!! HEATHER!!!!" It's about the sport people! Not about the personalities!!! C'mon you soccer purists! Are you with me on this one?!!?!?
    :mad::mad:

3. AndyMead

AndyMead Homo Sapien

Nov 2, 1999
    Seat 12A
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City
    No.

4. Florida needs mls

Florida needs mls New Member

May 25, 2004
    Florida
    Shut up all women sports are about sex appeal.

5. dcajedi

dcajedi Member

Jul 16, 2001
    Philadelphia
    Down, people. Down.

*runs away from this thread real fast*

6. Chargefan

Chargefan New Member

Oct 9, 2003
    KOP
    I guess she did not appear last night because they had another guest.

7. AndyMead

AndyMead Homo Sapien

Nov 2, 1999
    Seat 12A
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City
    Daisy Fuentes.

And is it just me, or has Craig Kilborn made to major career mistakes? First leaving ESPN for The Daily Show, then leaving The Daily Show for his current gig.

8. FearM9

FearM9 New Member

Jul 14, 2000
    On my bike
    But he was in the classic "Old School"!

[​IMG]

9. kool-aide

kool-aide Member+

Feb 1, 2002
    a van by the river
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    No arguement here. Poor decision-making, unless the $$ is better. Of course, the shows aren't. Since I know nothing about any of the moves (other than they happened) were they all his doing or was he fired from one or the other?

10. ttrevett

ttrevett Member+

Apr 2, 2002
    Atlanta, GA
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

Leaving the ESPN job must have been the worst move he ever made. That has got to be the best job in the world, aside from donut taste-testing.

11. Casper

Casper Member+

Mar 30, 2001
    New York
    The money is dramatically better at CBS than Kilborn was getting paid at The Daily Show. Stewart now gets paid a ton, but that's after years of making the show much more of a force. The Daily Show as we know it was very different with Kilborn as its primary force.

Leaving the ESPN anchor seat the worst move ever? Former anchors: Berman, Ley, Olbermann, Eisen, Kilborn, Mayne ... at some point you want to do something else, that's more interesting. Even look at Dan Patrick's radio show. I think I'd go nuts on a Tuesday in August, when the only things that ESPN producers would want me to talk about are fifteen games of baseball highlights, preseason NFL cuts, and the new BCS system.

12. AndyMead

AndyMead Homo Sapien

Nov 2, 1999
    Seat 12A
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City
    He may have left for similar reasons that Olbermann left. (Except that Olbermann's was exacerbated by his inability to drive) Keith left because the dating scene in Bristol is apparently for sucks.

13. tiej

tiej New Member

Nov 17, 2002
    Winston Salem, NC
  14. j&bontherock

j&bontherock BigSoccer Supporter

We do every possible ways to promote soccer to the wider audience...i don't think it's a problem at all, you gotta think positive Fear9.

15. j&bontherock

j&bontherock BigSoccer Supporter

you guys want to know the best way to promote w-soccer ? follow recent Blatter's idea...guarantee sold out all the time.

16. Blong

Blong Member+

Oct 29, 2002
    Midwest, the real one.
    Penalty kicks?

17. boingo

boingo Member

Forward Madison FC
    Feb 17, 2003
    WI
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Very good interview!

I think she did better than when she was commenting on the WWC on ESPN.

18. tigercub

tigercub New Member

Apr 21, 2002
    Seems on TV, and in sport, maybe in life: the very good looking and marginally talented will win over the marginally good looking and very talented. It's just human nature; we don't like to look at unattractive people. Of coarse Heather Mitts is on TV; the WUSA and WNT would be dumb not to premote her.
    I would love it if it were just about sport, but that's just not very realistic.

19. tigercub

tigercub New Member

Apr 21, 2002
    Hmmm, I should be watching TV right now--but I've never seen his show, and want to go to bed now. Anyway, I hope she did better then her WWC gig; she wasn't awful at that, but I wasn't impressed either. What did she have to say? Did she talk about the residency camp, how it's going? The Olympics? Did she talk about the WUSA, and upcoming festivals? Or did Craig K. just ask about her--i.e. "how is it being so good looking?" and stuff like that?

20. boingo

boingo Member

Forward Madison FC
    Feb 17, 2003
    WI
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Interesting course this thread is going down. I saw the interview by luck and was so interested by what she was going to say (b/c she was billed as a "soccer superstar" and hasn't played much in the past year) that I didn't think much about anything else but the sport element. Sorry, just the way I am and have been since watching the women play since the late '90s.

It wasn't until I got on here to see if there was any talk about her appearance on the show that people were talking about the sexuality component. Who cares??? Have some people never seen a female player before??? Jeezy creezy people, go to some games and get it out of your system. And if you can't, don't go b/c it will distract from those of us watching the SPORT.

21. boingo

boingo Member

Forward Madison FC
    Feb 17, 2003
    WI
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Very simple stuff she talked about. At one point she even explained part of the sport (red cards and such). She said that her worst jab was when she got elbowed in the throat and the ref allowed her a foul later on. :) She mentioned her goal drought of 3 years, but that she plays defense. She mentioned the residency a little, but seemed concerned that she might not make the roster b/c only 18 can go to Athens and she was cut when 20 were on the roster for the WWC. She did a small plug for the WUSA games in LA at THDC. She talked a little about the FHM photos and what she had to do for them. Talked about where she now lives and .... I think that was the gist of it.

I was pleasantly surprised at how much time was spent on the soccer portion, though it felt like the audience had their eyes glasing over with "soccer" boredom.

22. Nacional Tijuana

Nacional Tijuana St. Louis City

St. Louis City SC
    May 6, 2003
    San Diego, Calif.
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I'm glad to see Craig has his hormones in check. I'm also glad to see they were using someone besides Mia Hamm, even though it had to be a "sexy supermodel type". Nothing against Mitts. She's great overall and seems like she'd be fun to meet. But it's a shame (perhaps necessary, perhaps not) that sex is being used to sell this. But then I see the reverse happen, as well: women going to NHL matches to see studly guys. I suppose it's not a problem.

Anyhow, not a bad interview, but some footage of the festivals or WUSA matches would have been nice, and I kind of felt she was mumbling a bit. She was a bit hard to hear.