Health Care Reform Part IV: The Trumpening

Discussion in 'Politics & Current Events' started by Knave, Dec 3, 2016.

Tags:
  1. dapip

dapip Member+

Sep 5, 2003
    South Florida
    Club:
    Millonarios Bogota
    Nat'l Team:
    Colombia
    Our friendly private insurers and pharmacies:

1102349459747270656 is not a valid tweet id

And after the thread... off course...

1102355643300642816 is not a valid tweet id

Deadtigers, Auriaprottu and sitruc repped this.
  2. dapip

dapip Member+

Sep 5, 2003
    South Florida
    Club:
    Millonarios Bogota
    Nat'l Team:
    Colombia
    This Twitter thread touched a nerve.

Our history was kind of similar but with lesser amounts and we never got to the same stage, but basically because some procedures are not covered and/or billing errors, you could be on the hook for amounts that you did not expect. In our case was simply an error by Quest who misspelled our son's name and it resulted on a bill for about a $1k for mostly routine testing (yeah, that by itself it's unnerving), but combined with doctors double-billing (patient and insurance) and insurance requiring we meet a deductible, we were apparently on the hook for about $1,600. In reality we ow about $300 and we have a FSA so we're good. This lady isn't:

This alone should be the perfect reason to adopt single payer.

3. diablodelsol

diablodelsol Member+

Jan 10, 2001
    New Jersey
    Now that the standard deduction likely exceeds the itemized deduction for most homeowners, what’s to stop homeowners from creating LLC’s to own their houses? Wouldn’t this protect their house from personal creditors?

4. ceezmad

ceezmad Member+

Mar 4, 2010
    Chicago
    Club:
    Chicago Red Stars
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Would banks approve?

You do get loan from the bank with the property acting as a guarantee, but the bank uses your personal income and other credit information to approve it, I do not know if there would be tax implications as the LLC would have no income to cover the tax payments or mortgage payments.

Maybe you pay rent to your LLC, make it equal to the mortgage + tax and problem solved.

I guess, using your house as collateral later on to secure a personal loan may be more difficult.

5. Chicago76

Chicago76 Member+

Jun 9, 2002
  6. MatthausSammer

MatthausSammer Moderator
    Staff Member

Dec 9, 2012
    Canada
    Club:
    Borussia Dortmund
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
  7. superdave

superdave Member+

Jul 14, 1999
    VB, VA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  8. Yoshou

Yoshou Fan of the CCL Champ

May 12, 2009
    Seattle
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    That just says the DOJ is now siding with the Judge that ruled it unconstitutional earlier. It does not say the DOJ killed it.. This should not be a surprise to anyone and the ACA will still trundle along through the court system until it reaches the SC where it will be deemed constitutional or not.

Chicago76 repped this.
  9. Chicago76

Chicago76 Member+

Jun 9, 2002
    Yeah. I shoulda read a few other articles...that and not trusted the original version of some of these things within minutes of them hitting the wire.

https://www.bigsoccer.com/threads/th...t-hits-the-fan.2087349/page-300#post-37644485

10. The Jitty Slitter

The Jitty Slitter Moderator
    Staff Member

Bayern München
    Germany
    Jul 23, 2004
    Fascist Hellscape
    Club:
    FC Sankt Pauli
    Nat'l Team:
    Belgium
    It's still outrageous though

11. raza_rebel

raza_rebel Member+

Dec 11, 2000
    Club:
    Univ de Chile
    Well yeah. IANAL but to oversimplify, the DOJ is not defending the law of the land. ACA is federal law and the DOJ should be defending it.

BTW - I am a Conservation Biologist by trade, so if you want to educate me on the nuances by all means, be respectful. This board usually discusses at a higher level than the other websites I am accustomed to. :thumbsup::thumbsup:

sitruc repped this.
  12. flowergirl

flowergirl Member+

Aug 11, 2004
    panama city, FL
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Help me out, guys. I'm too lazy to look it up myself. What's the yaya going on with doofus in chief wanting to chuck the ACA? Is this a real thing he's legally trying to get done, or just some trash talk to deflect from the Mueller thing?

xtomx repped this.
  13. song219

song219 BigSoccer Supporter

Apr 5, 2004
    La Norte
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    Vanuatu
    Yes, no and both. The Orangeman oscillates from position to position based on his emotions at the time and what he has recently seen on Fox News. He sometimes has the desire to deflect but has no discipline to maintain a deflection.

If someone here or elsewhere says they know, they are either lying or have an exaggerated belief in their own analytical abilities.

dapip repped this.
  14. Yoshou

Yoshou Fan of the CCL Champ

May 12, 2009
    Seattle
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I'm not sure why Trump would want to deflect attention away from what should be a very positive news story for him to one that is, to put it mildly, an unmitigated disaster for him.. It could be either a timing issue where they were planning on making the announcement about switching the DOJ's support to the "ACA is unconstitutional in whole" side of the argument on Monday all along, then Mueller sent his report to the DOJ on Friday coincidentally, or it could be that Trump thinks because the DOJ summary says Mueller's report "exonerates" Trump on the collusion front that Trump feels he now has the political capital to go after ACA.

flowergirl repped this.
  15. dapip

dapip Member+

Sep 5, 2003
    South Florida
    Club:
    Millonarios Bogota
    Nat'l Team:
    Colombia
    Yeah, he probably saw the Gerber Baby insurance commercial inside his playboy magazines and decided to buy 325 million policies.

sitruc and Q*bert Jones III repped this.
  16. Chicago76

Chicago76 Member+

Jun 9, 2002
    Regardless of their original plans, were they specifically required to make this statement re: the ACA Monday? Barring some requirement, the political capital theory you posted is the most plausible (and likely) explanation.

The admin is serving two bases: the business class and the Trumpanzee class. The business class wants this cut. Most of the Trumpanzee class at the very least doesn't care enough to pay attention. This could damage his standing with a small subset of them however and he can't really afford to lose much of his support in places like WI/MI/PA/NC/FL. What better time to announce something like this (and serve his business constituents) than in the afterglow of their leader's "complete exoneration" of this "national disgrace of a witchhunt"? His base is too busy in the middle of their post-Mueller high.

flowergirl repped this.
  17. superdave

superdave Member+

Jul 14, 1999
    VB, VA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The theory I’ve seen is that with McCain back in the news, Trump wants to get revenge on him.

Makes sense.

sitruc repped this.
  18. diablodelsol

diablodelsol Member+

Jan 10, 2001
    New Jersey
    I was going to propose that Trump is not mentally capable of understanding the ramifications of doing this now.

But this makes sense as well.

And doesn’t necessarily contradict my hypothesis

flowergirl and xtomx repped this.
  19. Dr. Wankler

Dr. Wankler Member+

May 2, 2001
    The Electric City
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    Is McCain back in the news for any reason besides the only one I can think of: that Trump, in a stream-of-unconcsiousness rally rant, started attacking him?

Deadtigers and sitruc repped this.
  20. taosjohn

taosjohn Member+

Dec 23, 2004
    taos,nm
    I think he's seeing one of the daughters as a potential primary rival...

21. ElJefe

ElJefe Moderator
    Staff Member

Feb 16, 1999
    Colorful Colorado
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    wat

22. Deadtigers

Deadtigers Member+

Jul 23, 2015
    Independent Republic of the Bronx, NY
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Ghana
    2nded!!

23. taosjohn

taosjohn Member+

Dec 23, 2004
    taos,nm
    This is Trump we're talking about-- he's belligerent at everything because he's scared of everything, including the fact that he's scared of everything.

He came out of nowhere and beat opponents he despised, and now there are people who despise him and he can't be sure that one of them won't do the same to him. So he must attack them.

24. The Jitty Slitter

The Jitty Slitter Moderator
    Staff Member

Bayern München
    Germany
    Jul 23, 2004
    Fascist Hellscape
    Club:
    FC Sankt Pauli
    Nat'l Team:
    Belgium
    Agreed

Trump is not strategic or logical

This is the dumbest play given the evidence of the midterms

25. diablodelsol

diablodelsol Member+

Jan 10, 2001
    New Jersey
    Just watched MSNBC interviewing trumpers who will likely lose their health insurance if the latest ACA legal battle goes the wrong way. “Healthcare shouldn’t be a political issue, that’s why I voted for Donald Trump and why I support the President”