Health Care Reform Part IV: The Trumpening

Discussion in 'Politics & Current Events' started by Knave, Dec 3, 2016.

Tags:
  1. Yoshou

Yoshou Fan of the CCL Champ

May 12, 2009
    Seattle
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I think this goes along pretty well with the notion that if a patient shows up 10-15 minutes late, their appointment is cancelled, but if a doctor makes you wait double that there is no impact to the doctor.

2. ToMhIlL

ToMhIlL Member+

Feb 18, 1999
    Boxborough, MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I had an appointment where they took me about 25 minutes after the appointment time, then made me sit in an exam room to wait. After another half-hour, I told them I was leaving NOW. Somehow the doctor found time to see me right away.

3. ceezmad

ceezmad Member+

Mar 4, 2010
    Chicago
    Club:
    Chicago Red Stars
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    They just made the person that did not complain wait and extra 30 minutes.

M repped this.
  4. song219

song219 BigSoccer Supporter

Apr 5, 2004
    La Norte
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    Vanuatu
    My last visit to the Dentist I used to go to was when I had to wait an hour when I got there on time.

5. M

M Member+

Feb 18, 2000
    Via Ventisette
  6. Yoshou

Yoshou Fan of the CCL Champ

May 12, 2009
    Seattle
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  7. superdave

superdave Member+

Jul 14, 1999
    VB, VA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

Since there’s no penalty, there’s no real mandate, but the mandate makes the law unconstitutional.

Balls and strikes!!

dapip and sitruc repped this.
  8. Mel Brennan

Mel Brennan PLANITARCHIS' BANE

Paris Saint Germain
    United States
    Apr 8, 2002
    Baltimore
    Club:
    Paris Saint Germain FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    No consensus of legal opinion has stood with this judge on these matters yet. Why do you think they chose his circuit? Bunk this dude.

9. dapip

dapip Member+

Sep 5, 2003
    South Florida
    Club:
    Millonarios Bogota
    Nat'l Team:
    Colombia
    Is there any constitutional lawyer in the audience?

sitruc repped this.
  10. song219

song219 BigSoccer Supporter

Apr 5, 2004
    La Norte
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    Vanuatu
    There are no obvious misspellings or mangled English in this tweet. Are presidents allowed to do that?

sitruc, Dr. Wankler and dapip repped this.
  11. JohnR

JohnR Member+

Jun 23, 2000
    Chicago, IL
    Regardless of whether this ruling stands or not, something will be done to preserve the ability of people to get coverage for pre-existing conditions. Any GOP politician not in a blood-red districts knows what the 2020 consequences will be for those who are perceived to have removed that ability.

12. Dr. Wankler

Dr. Wankler Member+

May 2, 2001
    The Electric City
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    Only the one's that hate real America.

sitruc repped this.
  13. VFish

VFish Member+

Jan 7, 2001
    Atlanta, GA
    Club:
    Atlanta
    It will be interesting to see how your approach is greeted.

And that is a very young Lou Dobbs.

14. dapip

dapip Member+

Sep 5, 2003
    South Florida
    Club:
    Millonarios Bogota
    Nat'l Team:
    Colombia

Great!!! Next time I head to the ER because I'm having a heart attack, I'll check the price list to decide if I stay there or go to the next hospital 15 miles away.

onefineesq repped this.
  15. White/Blue_since1860

Orange14 is gay
    Jan 4, 2007
    Bum zua City
    Club:
    TSV 1860 München
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
  16. VFish

VFish Member+

Jan 7, 2001
    Atlanta, GA
    Club:
    Atlanta
    And you think this is a bad idea? Believe it or not, but not every patient checks into a hospital via the emergency room. They also often transfer to other hospitals. If you had a point to make please make it.

17. dapip

dapip Member+

Sep 5, 2003
    South Florida
    Club:
    Millonarios Bogota
    Nat'l Team:
    Colombia
    It's not a bad thing per se, but the positive effects are minimal. Even if somebody checked prices before going into a hospital for whatever reasons, they might not have an open choice, due to in-network restrictions, doctors availability and deductible honoring.

Case in point, our area is served basically by three hospital groups, one private, one non-profit and one public; our insurance cover almost everything at the non-profit and might honor most copayments towards our deductible at the public group; however it might be difficult to recoup some payments made there. I imagine that the process would be most cumbersome at the private hospital (based on a recent experience with a private provider), which by the way is the one that offers the worst service of all three.

sitruc repped this.
  18. VFish

VFish Member+

Jan 7, 2001
    Atlanta, GA
    Club:
    Atlanta
    So there was no point, got it.

I think doctors had hospitals posting prices for procedures and services is helpful even when insurance is picking up the bill. Expensive procedures and scans are often done not because they are necessary, but rather because hospital or doctor knows insurance is picking up the tab or as a CYA move.

19. russ

russ Member+

Feb 26, 1999
    Canton,NY
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    How do you know this?
    Actually,most doctors around here are relatively conservative with ordering tests. Source: people who go to ,work for,and are,actual doctors.
    admittedly anecdotal,but what's your source?

20. VFish

VFish Member+

Jan 7, 2001
    Atlanta, GA
    Club:
    Atlanta
    Another concern I have with these published lists is whether or not the information is going to actually be useful. As an informed consumer I am not only interested in the overall cost of the procedure, but also my personal financial responsibility.

21. dapip

dapip Member+

Sep 5, 2003
    South Florida
    Club:
    Millonarios Bogota
    Nat'l Team:
    Colombia
    Disclaimer: My wife works in the medical field as a lab technologist, so I have some insight.

If you are dying or very sick, you really have little concern about the price you are paying and a considerable portion of patients and families will do whatever the doctor says, and even ask for more. If you have a little one with a broken arm, or having an asthma episode, you won't go to the next hospital hoping to get a better deal. Finally, most patients won't know, or won't understand what the doctor ordered and probably will not even look at the detailed bill that you receive from your insurance company, except for the part that says what is your co-payment.

True, some doctors will order too many tests when a simple one will do, or order the most expensive medicine when the generic is just as good; OTOH, most people will not feel like going the stingy way when their health or that of a loved one is on the line, so they will not care (and most likely they won't know, because they don't understand or they won't see the cost until later).

russ repped this.
  22. VFish

VFish Member+

Jan 7, 2001
    Atlanta, GA
    Club:
    Atlanta
    Personal experience. An example, I badly split my lip in a mountain bike accident and needed a trip to the ER. The cut was bad enough to require many stitches and because it was a facial laceration it was going to require a skilled plastic surgeon to prevent scarring. The ER doc wanted to have an MRI done even though I hadn't had a blow to the head and showed no sign of a concussion. I knew the procedure was unnecessary and expensive but the doctor refused to bring in the on-call plastic surgeon until I submitted to the MRI. I even remember his response to my protests that it was unnecessary - "What do you care? You have good insurance".

Defensive medicine is a big and expensive part in our system. That is a fact.

23. VFish

VFish Member+

Jan 7, 2001
    Atlanta, GA
    Club:
    Atlanta
    All well and good, but more transparency in medicine good thing. That is why I am confused by the motive behind your original post. Apparently it was just another opportunity to snark.

24. Cascarino's Pizzeria

Apr 29, 2001
    New Jersey, USA
    This explains a lot. :D

sitruc, Q*bert Jones III, russ and 3 others repped this.