Health Care Reform Part IV: The Trumpening

Discussion in 'Politics & Current Events' started by Knave, Dec 3, 2016.

Tags:
  1. Naughtius Maximus

Jul 10, 2001
    Shropshire
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    A proposition that would be tested if one of his buildings burned down and he then claimed on the insurance :D

dapip repped this.
  2. Boloni86

Boloni86 Member+

Jun 7, 2000
    Baltimore
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    Gibraltar
    This whole Cassidy-Graham spectacle is making me sick to my stomach. How are people OK with this kind of government? No CBO score, 2 minute debate and 1/6th of the economy fundamentally altered on the fly ... I take shits that are longer than the amount of time going into this. While they're at it, they should add a 5 minute debate on undoing Social Security.

sitruc, flowergirl, dapip and 1 other person repped this.
  3. Cascarino's Pizzeria

Apr 29, 2001
    New Jersey, USA
    Previously Lindsey sounded like a more serious senator in regard to HC. Now it seems to be "pass anything" time in R-ville.

4. Cascarino's Pizzeria

Apr 29, 2001
    New Jersey, USA
    HC reporter says this version of repeal & displace is the worst yet:

Graham-Cassidy, in my view, is the most radical of them all.

While other Republican plans essentially create a poorly funded version of the Affordable Care Act, Graham-Cassidy blows it up. The bill offered by Republican Sens. Lindsey Graham and Bill Cassidy takes money from states that did a good job getting residents covered under Obamacare and gives it to states that did not. It eliminates an expansion of the Medicaid program that covers millions of Americans in favor of block grants. States aren’t required to use the money to get people covered or to help subsidize low- and middle-income earners, as Obamacare does now.

Plus, the bill includes other drastic changes that appeared in some previous bills. Insurers in the private marketplace would be allowed to discriminate against people with preexisting conditions, for example. And it would eliminate the individual mandate as other bills would have, but this time there is no replacement. Most analysts agree that would inject chaos into the individual market.

Taken together, these components add up to a sweeping proposal sure to upend the American health care system. Because the Senate hasn’t seen an independent analysis yet from the Congressional Budget Office, I can’t even say for sure how sweeping, and neither can any of the Republicans who have come out in support of it.

I’m not the only one drawing this conclusion. The credit agency Fitch Ratings recently described Graham-Cassidy as “more disruptive” than the other Republican repeal bills. Edwin Park, a policy analyst at the Center on Budget and Policy Priorities, says that Graham-Cassidy is “more radical in the sense that you’re eliminating wholesale the marketplace subsidies and the Medicaid expansion.”

https://www.vox.com/health-care/2017/9/20/16333338/obamacare-repeal-graham-cassidy

sitruc and Boloni86 repped this.
  5. MatthausSammer

MatthausSammer Moderator
    Staff Member

Dec 9, 2012
    Canada
    Club:
    Borussia Dortmund
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    And Trump gets to disingenuously act like it's all okay, like he's some sort of man of the people fighting to make sure this bill covers pre-existing conditions while it guts all the stuff that made the pre-existing conditions clause viable.

6. Cascarino's Pizzeria

Apr 29, 2001
    New Jersey, USA
    Lindsey overheard at airport "I know this thang ain't perfect. But let's get this done, y'all" (Embellishment mine)

Don't care what's in it. NEED...WIN...NOW.

7. Geneva

Geneva LA for Life

Feb 5, 2003
    Southern Cal
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    What do you mean?

8. Cascarino's Pizzeria

Apr 29, 2001
    New Jersey, USA
    The Republicans hate Obamacare for among other things, subsidizing "blue" states like CA, MA, NY at the "expense" of red states. I doubt it's 100% true. But in nearly every interview this week I've heard them whining about it.

Geneva repped this.
  9. Cascarino's Pizzeria

Apr 29, 2001
    New Jersey, USA
    Ugh:

Cassidy has projections he’s been passing around to his Senate colleagues, and his latest spreadsheet shows Alaska getting extra money from the bill ― a change that hasn’t been reflected in the legislation but is coming, according to what Cassidy staffers told Business Insider.

If Murkowski is bought off, and if Paul and Collins hold strong, this process will all come down to McCain, who will have to choose between his legacy and Graham, his best friend in the Senate.

When HuffPost asked McCain this week if it was weighing on him that he might have to sink Graham’s legislation, McCain said it was “difficult,” but he reiterated yet again that he was more concerned about regular order.

“I don’t want to have to just vote aye or no on what’s one-fifth of the gross national product,” McCain said.

While it may seem laughable to most that a friendship might so clearly impact a bill, the bond between McCain and Graham is very real and very strong ― almost certainly realer and stronger than any other bond between two Senators today.

“I always do whatever Lindsey Graham tells me to do,” McCain told reporters last week, only half-kidding.

But McCain seems to have concerns other than friendship since he was diagnosed with an aggressive form of brain cancer over the summer. When he returned to the Senate in late July, he said he wouldn’t support the Senate GOP’s health care proposal because it penalized his home state of Arizona and was opposed there by Republican Gov. Doug Ducey.

http://m.huffpost.com/us/entry/us_59c2d7ebe4b06f93538c3e5b?ncid=inblnkushpmg00000009

5500280.jpg

10. dapip

dapip Member+

Sep 5, 2003
    South Florida
    Club:
    Millonarios Bogota
    Nat'l Team:
    Colombia
    Remember when Republicans argued that Obamacare was rammed through in the middle of the night with no debate or GOP input whatsoever?

We should be mailing dead rats to all the GOP senators behind this deadly concoction..

11. JohnR

JohnR Member+

Jun 23, 2000
    Chicago, IL
    Bill Cassidy - "Health care debate is a matter of philosophical differences between the two parties."

Yeah, Bill, they are. Democrats have the philosophy of trying to improve health care, at least as they view the matter. Republicans have the philosophy of overturning what the Democrats did, regardless of the outcome. The votes are what matter, not the health-care details themselves.

That would be the difference, Bill.

sitruc, Cascarino's Pizzeria and Geneva repped this.
  12. superdave

superdave Member+

Jul 14, 1999
    VB, VA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  13. JohnR

JohnR Member+

Jun 23, 2000
    Chicago, IL
    Of course it's awful. This bill is crafted to get votes, not to improve health care. It's a Frankenstein's monster where this piece can be used by that politician to take the voter, and so on. It is very much not a bill that one would craft if the task were to deliver the best possible health care for the most people at the least cost.

Of course #45 will sign whatever is put in front of him and then claim it's great and that he was responsible for it. God forbid anybody ask him about what the bill contains.

The term "shit show" is too kind. Deplorable works, though.

Geneva and Boloni86 repped this.
  14. The Jitty Slitter

The Jitty Slitter Moderator
    Staff Member

Bayern München
    Germany
    Jul 23, 2004
    Fascist Hellscape
    Club:
    FC Sankt Pauli
    Nat'l Team:
    Belgium
    If the unpopularity of the last bill is a guide, its not even crafted to get votes

This is just straight up capture of GOP votes by donors.

Boloni86 repped this.
  15. Cascarino's Pizzeria

Apr 29, 2001
    New Jersey, USA
    Them not overturning what The Evil Black Guy did tells their cracker base that they're impotent cucks who have lost Whitelandia ground time after time since the days of MLK. It's almost primal their hatred of Obama.

Boloni86 repped this.
  16. JohnR

JohnR Member+

Jun 23, 2000
    Chicago, IL
    Ah, it's not just Obama. Same or more for Hillary, or for any other libtard. Just read the vitriol aimed at Jennifer Lawrence for daring to say, gasp!, that the world is round. (OK, she said climate change is occurring, same thing.)

Primal is indeed the word. If Democrats didn't exist, these people would need to invent them.

Boloni86 repped this.
  17. dapip

dapip Member+

Sep 5, 2003
    South Florida
    Club:
    Millonarios Bogota
    Nat'l Team:
    Colombia
    FYP

And yes. It is about campaign money.

https://www.theguardian.com/us-news...anks-closed-republicans-healthcare-tax-reform

At a weekend donor retreat attended by at least 18 elected officials, the Koch brothers warned that time is running out to push their agenda, most notably healthcare and tax reform, through Congress.

One Texas-based donor warned Republican lawmakers that his “Dallas piggy bank” was now closed, until he saw legislative progress.

“Get Obamacare repealed and replaced, get tax reform passed,” said Doug Deason. “Get it done and we’ll open it back up.”

Nonetheless, Koch officials said that the network’s midterm budget for policy and politics is between $300m and $400m.

Boloni86 and song219 repped this.
  18. JohnR

JohnR Member+

Jun 23, 2000
    Chicago, IL
    The vindictive side of me hopes this bill will pass. Per this map, the Trump states of Pennsylvania, Michigan, West Virginia, Ohio, Kentucky, Indiana, Missouri, Iowa, Nebraska, Arizona, Louisiana, Florida, and North Carolina will take financial hits. I quite like that idea.

[​IMG]

19. flowergirl

flowergirl Member+

Aug 11, 2004
    panama city, FL
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Crap. I worked for Medicare and various doctor offices. Every doctor loved Medicare. Yes, they paid a little less, but the bureaucracy was much easier to deal with, they rarely denied claims, were very straightforward in their appeals process, and paid in a timely manner. Add to that that most people on Medicare had a supplement that was linked to their Medicare claims and automatically paid the rest, without you having to bill the patient. Yes, they had their glitchy things, but ALL insurance companies do.

20. dapip

dapip Member+

Sep 5, 2003
    South Florida
    Club:
    Millonarios Bogota
    Nat'l Team:
    Colombia
    [mrNice]Bureacracy!!!!

3% margin can't do!!!!

Doctors don't take it!!!!!

Stockholders!!!!

Complicated!!!!
    [/MrNice]

Cascarino's Pizzeria and Boloni86 repped this.
  21. flowergirl

flowergirl Member+

Aug 11, 2004
    panama city, FL
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    You are correct, and correct, and correct, et al.

22. flowergirl

flowergirl Member+

Aug 11, 2004
    panama city, FL
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Christ on a cracker. This whole "plan" is basically just let's cut funding and let the states deal with it so we can blame the governors. I wonder what the governors are saying about this?

23. dapip

dapip Member+

Sep 5, 2003
    South Florida
    Club:
    Millonarios Bogota
    Nat'l Team:
    Colombia
    http://www.politico.com/states/new-...ham-cassidy-obamacare-replacement-bill-114611

I oppose Graham-Cassidy because it is too injurious to the people of New Jersey,” Christie told reporters standing outside an addiction treatment center in Somerset County. “I’m certainly not going to support a bill that takes nearly $4 billion from people in the state.”

The plan is referred to as Graham-Cassidy after the two Republican senators — Lindsey Graham of South Carolina and Bill Cassidy of Louisiana — who sponsored the legislation. It would block grant Medicaid to states and it would have a disproportionate financial impact on states that chose to expand Medicaid under the Affordable Care Act.

---------------------------------------

“I don’t think it’s right to take this money away in this manner. I think there are ways to do the block granting that are much better,” he said. “But I know that this comes from a place where the folks who didn’t expand now want some of that money back. But they chose not to expand at the time.”

flowergirl repped this.
  24. dapip

dapip Member+

Sep 5, 2003
    South Florida
    Club:
    Millonarios Bogota
    Nat'l Team:
    Colombia
    Jimmy Kimmel on the Cassidy-Graham bill...

flowergirl repped this.
  25. Cascarino's Pizzeria

Apr 29, 2001
    New Jersey, USA
    Our a-steamed governor Krispie says NJ would lose a ton in Medicaid. Christie was one of a few Republican governors to take the Medicaid expansion. Over 500,000 people took advantage of Medicaid expansion in NJ.

But personally he has nothing to fear. Taxpayers paid for his failed lap band surgery a few years ago. :thumbsup: