He Scores When He Wants .. - The Marcus Rashford Thread

Discussion in 'Manchester United' started by Sofabloke, Mar 24, 2016.

1. gatekeeper2

gatekeeper2 Member+

Jun 1, 2015
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Tend to agree with this statement, though not to the same degree.

Rashford does have more potential than Martial, no question there. But my God if someone put a fire under Martial's arse he and Rashford could be an incredible pair of forwards.

incighte repped this.
  2. Ashur

Ashur Member+

Manchester United
    United States
    May 31, 2015
    Riding off into the sunset
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    #527 Ashur, Nov 26, 2018
    Last edited: Nov 26, 2018
    Honestly, this whole Martial vs Rashford that some want to promote or going on and on, on who is better is kind of ridiculous and counter productive to me.
    We, as a club, are fortunate to have 2 potentially very good young players like them. And they could be very complimentary of one another.
    Instead of trying to pit them against one another or 'taking sides', we should rather highlight how both players, in one or another, have been let down by the current regime. Whether it's in their handling or the fact, especially in Rashford's case, how they lack the coaching that is so crucial at this point in their careers.
    Those 2, in a very real way, were supposed to be (and can be still) the future of our attack. And if it ultimately is not the case, it will be a waste of at the very least, a missed opportunity, because we are obviously looking at 2 players who are extremely talented, and who both could really be something. Under the proper guidance, that is.

3. Chaz Striker

Chaz Striker Member+

Jul 26, 2005
    Denver
    We did it with Ronaldo & Rooney, Anderson & Nani, and now Rashford & Martial. I personally think the two previous posters are idiots. Martial seems to have a decent footballing brain and end product, both in dribbling & finishing. Rashford, comparatively, has none of those things. I haven't seen any growth from Rashford in 2 years, and I don't expect much more TBH. I think he's destined to be a Welbeck.

jeff070 repped this.
  4. incighte

incighte Red Card

May 1, 2016
    How the ******** does me rating Rashford's potential over Martial's potential devolve down into name calling and presumptive pitting against one another?

Their problems are different.

Martial needs to have a fire lit under his ass. His laissez-faire attitude will be the death of his potential and talent. Whenever he gets after it, he's a dream to watch.

Rashford needs confidence, I think. I believe he feels stifled under Jose, but can't complain because his age and overall involvement has been more consistent than Martial. He's also lost a step as he has put on weight. I think he needs to spend a summer working on his top speed before prioritizing more upper body strength gain.

5. Ashur

Ashur Member+

Manchester United
    United States
    May 31, 2015
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    #530 Ashur, Nov 26, 2018
    Last edited: Nov 26, 2018
    What Rashford needs more than anything else is proper coaching and being used correctly. Unlike many here, I still believe him to be a seriously talented player, one who can still tap into his potential to become the player he was expected to be (there is a reason that some of Europe's top clubs may be looking at him).
    Mourinho can claim as much as he wants that Rashford is getting plenty of minutes and games, but it means nothing in the grand scheme of things (in terms of his progression curve) if he's not being played in a position and manner that gets the best of him.
    Southgate obviously gets this and therefore, it is no surprise that he performs better with England than he does for United. If only he was coached on a day to day level at United, then forget about it and he'd surely be much, much better and further along at this point. There's still time though, as he's still just 21, but it can't wait much longer either.
    As far as Martial, what he needs more than anything is support and confidence. The way he looks on the pitch, that easy going, nonchalant attitude you're talking about, that is simply who he is and you'll never turn him into a fire spitting dragon because that's not who he is as a person.
    As we're seeing now or have in the past, when he has confidence and given support by his coach, he can be a frightening player. Not out of bounce at all to claim that he's been our attack over the past few weeks. And if it weren't for him and the goals he has supplied, we'd be completely fvcked right now (top scorer in the team right now, let's remember).
    At the end of the day, Rash and Martial are different players, let alone forwards, but they are potentially very complimentary of one another. And as stated previously, if we can get both players to fully reach their potential and consistently play at a high level, it genuinely could be a mouth watering prospect for our team going forward. But it's also very clear in my estimation, that Mourinho has been a terrible manager to both of them, for different reasons and both their progress has been stunted because of it.

6. MizzouMUFC

MizzouMUFC Member+

Apr 10, 2010
    Places
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Martial is so superior of a player to Rashford it's really not even close. Rashford has more pace and maybe better movement off the ball, but that's it. Martial is a better dribbler, passer, finisher, and his football IQ is light years ahead of Rashford.

Rashford has been overhyped because he came out of nowhere and he's English. IMO he's more likely to become another Januzaj than he is to become a starter for United or a top European team.

Oh and saying Rashford needs confidence shows a lack of understanding of his game. Martial is much more a confidence player similar to Nani. If anything, Rashford is entirely too confident. He constantly tries to go on hero runs through crowds or try something flashy rather than making the smart play. That ties in with his low football IQ but also being overconfident.

giggs88 and Anonymous_United repped this.
  7. gatekeeper2

gatekeeper2 Member+

Jun 1, 2015
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Before anyone declares that either one is vastly superior to the other, it's worth acknowledging that both have underperformed relative to their known outstanding capabilities.

Martial is the worse underperformer in the sense that he really hadn't a serious competitor for minutes until Sanchez come to OT. And quite truthfully, Martial was awful for almost the entire season with the exception of that one performance, the opponent of which I've forgotten.

Rashford isn't a gifted natural winger in the way that Martial is, but he's never been used by Mourinho in a way that capitalizes on his talents. The moment we brought in Lukaku is the moment that Rashford's growth was blocked.

Rashford haters here should study the contrast in his play for United with that of England, where he's been brilliant. Martial, on the other hand, has barely made a ripple for France.

So let's just say both have incredible potential. But they need a manager who will let them play to their best abilities.

8. Anonymous_United

Manchester United
    Brazil
    Jul 13, 2018
    Just pop up with few goals and all talk of playing gr8 with England .. Hypocrisy. .

9. doubletrouble

doubletrouble Member+

Manchester United
    Saint Kitts and Nevis
    Dec 16, 2003
    St.Kitts
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    St. Kitts and Nevis
    I remembered when people had him in the same bracket as Mbappe. We enjoy using the "He's Young" line with him but forget that Mbappe is young as well but look at the gap in performance

10. Ashur

Ashur Member+

Manchester United
    United States
    May 31, 2015
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Mbappe is a superior talent than Rashford, that much is clear but it can't be denied also that he's been coached and put in conditions to see his talent blossom.
    Whether it's under Jardim, Emery and now Tuchel, those are all coaches who actually nurture and develop talent. Rashford on the other hand, has been stuck with Mourinho after van Gaal brought him up. And it's a well known and accepted fact that he does not have the first clue how to develop young players.
    I shudder at the thought of what Mbappe would like now, if he had to play under a coach like Mourinho, day in, day out...

11. incighte

incighte Red Card

May 1, 2016
    I wrote out a long reply to this, but I can't do it. There's too much wrong with the way you're watching the game. Do you think Pogba has a higher football IQ than Lingard, by chance?

Rashford will be a far superior player to Martial. There is a reason why the whole of the football world took up notice of him when he came through - don't make it out to be a British thing. Ronaldo name checked him. Wenger, Gerrard, van Gaal, Pele, Ronaldinho, van Persie, Becks, Sir Alex, and all of Rashford's teammates have come out and mentioned how 'special' of a player he is. The line with Martial is always about what he can achieve with his ability, how good he can be, etc... People don't mention that with Rashford because he is a special type of player - the kind who raises a clubs expectations when he achieves his dreams (ala Ronaldo).

Remember, Ronaldo was thought of as less than Rooney until February 2006 - when he started to turn the wagon around. It was a game against Pompey where we saw Ronaldo play with all his pomp at once.

Watch this - notice the many facets to his game. Notice that he doesn't just exist in one 25x45 portion of the pitch. He exists everywhere. Martial can be crowded out of a game, Rashford will go elsewhere to find space.

Edit: ********ing Januzaj. You're either daft or having a ********ing piss.

12. MizzouMUFC

MizzouMUFC Member+

Apr 10, 2010
    Places
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Almost everything you said in that long post is wrong. Almost everything.

You don't have to listen to me. See if others here agree with you that Rashford is a superior player to Martial. You're going to be disappointed.

The fact that you think Rashford has a good football IQ shows me you have a weak grasp on the game. His decision making isn't just bad, it's abysmal.

Let me ask you a pointed question, where do you think Rashford is a better player than Martial? Dribbling? Finishing? Anything other than frequency of runs?

And yes, the comparison of Rash to Januzaj is far more accurate than your comparing him to Ronaldo. I'd argue Januzaj had more impact on the team than Rash as well before he faded. Rashford spends all game making runs down blind alleys and when he does get the ball he fails to do anything with it...yesterday's game was a perfect example of that.

13. benni...

benni... BigSoccer Supporter

Nov 23, 2004
    Chocolate City
    Im not interested in this particular topic. I will say, if you want to convince someone or debate this point, you have to do better than YouTube videos and name dropping. Stats for example. Does not tell the entire story, but better than what has been provided so far.

14. doubletrouble

doubletrouble Member+

Manchester United
    Saint Kitts and Nevis
    Dec 16, 2003
    St.Kitts
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    St. Kitts and Nevis
    Just saw a stat that says Rashford has missed 10 consecutive 1v1 chances with the goalkeeper for us.

15. Ruud v.Nistelrooy 10

Staff Member

Jamaica
    Jun 4, 2006
    Antilla
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Jamaica
    according to Opta, Rashford has missed 6 of his 7 big chances this season.

and for those of you who have good memories he did his very best to botch the 7th.

hope he turns it around

16. jeff070

jeff070 Member+

Dec 31, 2004
    PA
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Lebanon
    He was never a poacher type at youth level, he scored a lot of his goals on angles down the sides. Maybe I am wrong but that is what I remember. Not to mention at that level you get a lot of attempts. Under our current style you ll get one or two.

17. Ashur

Ashur Member+

Manchester United
    United States
    May 31, 2015
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    #542 Ashur, Nov 28, 2018
    Last edited: Nov 28, 2018
    While there is nothing wrong with a poacher, obviously, that has never been indeed who Rashford is as a forward. He is capable of so much more, as he's shown. It's just a pity that he does not appear to have someone at the club to fine tune his game and teach/practice some basic things, such as when and how to make runs, being composed, keep energy to finish chances and more importantly, not feeling he can play anywhere because he works hard on both ends of the pitch.
    Mourinho in his presser yesterday said something that speaks volumes as to what the problem is in regards to his handling of Rashford. He said that he can never say anything bad about his finishing, because he does so much when he's on the pitch. While that may come out as a declaration of support, this illustrates perfectly where the problem lies, because it, in effect, tells that scoring goals is less important than being a diligent worker, at the service of the team.
    For a 21yr old forward who is still growing into the role, that is the last thing he should be told IMO and that is precisely why, as long as he remains under Mourinho's tutelage, Rashford is facing an uphill battle in terms of becoming the player and forward he is supposed to be. It's pretty clear cut and straightforward as far as I'm concerned.

Edit: So far as his problem with putting his chances away, especially with United, I think it can be reasonably explained by the fact that he is probably putting too much pressure on himself to deliver when he has the opportunity and that obviously can lead to mistakes (or bad missed such as it is).
    Does not excuse him clearly, but it could explain how he can miss the type of chances he should be converting pretty easily. From that standpoint, he just needs to relax and hopefully that should go a long way in changing his fortunes as well.

18. doubletrouble

doubletrouble Member+

Manchester United
    Saint Kitts and Nevis
    Dec 16, 2003
    St.Kitts
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    St. Kitts and Nevis
    I have been hoping since last season

19. benni...

Nov 23, 2004
    Chocolate City
    You dont have to ve a poacher to put away the chances he's missing.

As MOF, he could have passed to open players on half those big chances. Last night he had Martial and Lingard facing open goals.

jeff070 repped this.
  20. Anonymous_United

Manchester United
    Brazil
    Jul 13, 2018
    Tired of seeing geezers blaming Jose .. Guy misses most of his chances and when needed to square the ball he makes abmysl choices in final third.. Few yrs down the road he would be playing for midtable bottom half club ..

21. Anonymous_United

Manchester United
    Brazil
    Jul 13, 2018
    Blame it on manager .. coaching staff ..Carrick .. Ed but he is indespensable ...cannot be blamed for his low low IQ .. Feck that .. Guy needs time on bench.. Dont want him any where near starting 11 for some weeks ..

22. Ashur

Ashur Member+

Manchester United
    United States
    May 31, 2015
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  23. benni...

Nov 23, 2004
    Chocolate City
    Its really easy to blame Jose, but no one was "blaming" Jose about his 13 goals last year and all the starts he got.

24. Ashur

Ashur Member+

Manchester United
    United States
    May 31, 2015
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    He's not evolving or growing as a player. That is the main beef against him. And while that is partly on him, it is definitely due to his coaching (or lackthreof) as well...

25. benni...

Nov 23, 2004
    Chocolate City
    Definitely? Is it definite because of 2 good England games or because of Jose's reputation?

I hate Jose as much as the next fan, but this is convenient.

Anonymous_United repped this.