He Scores When He Wants .. - The Marcus Rashford Thread

Discussion in 'Manchester United' started by Sofabloke, Mar 24, 2016.

1. United 16

United 16 Member+

Manchester United
    Mar 25, 2016
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
  2. Ashur

Ashur Member+

Manchester United
    United States
    May 31, 2015
    Riding off into the sunset
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  3. United 16

United 16 Member+

Manchester United
    Mar 25, 2016
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
  4. J'can

J'can Member+

Jul 3, 2007
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
  5. Ashur

Ashur Member+

Manchester United
    United States
    May 31, 2015
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

The thing people need to realize that despite how they may feel about Rooney, breaking the club's scoring record was a special and monumental achievement. Unless Rashford starts scoring at a frenetic pace now and does so for 8-10yrs straight, he will.not.touch that record. And it goes for anyone else bc that what it will take.

6. gatekeeper2

gatekeeper2 Member+

Jun 1, 2015
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Rashford only needs to score another 240 goals to match Rooney. He just turned 20 today, so let's assume another 15 years with United before he hands up his boots.

16 goals per year over the next 15 years is actually doable for Rashford, given his immense talent, athleticism and attitude. But the problem in the end may be competition for minutes from Lukaku and Martial.

It's very likely not gonna happen, but there's no reason to suggest that young Marcus can't get there.

7. Ashur

Ashur Member+

Manchester United
    United States
    May 31, 2015
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  8. Ashur

Ashur Member+

Manchester United
    United States
    May 31, 2015
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  9. doubletrouble

doubletrouble Member+

Manchester United
    Saint Kitts and Nevis
    Dec 16, 2003
    St.Kitts
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    St. Kitts and Nevis
    Things changed around here quickly

10. benni...

benni... BigSoccer Supporter

Nov 23, 2004
    Chocolate City
    Im not sure.

I think a lot of the guys on the board are being patient with him. The role he has, is what I expected. One of the first attackers of the bench, getting starts in cup games.

He hasnt really played great or consistent, but he's still done alright. He's scored 10 goals in 20 appearances.

Having said that, he really has to put in a bunch of work. Not just on the field or in training, but even if the film room. If he can fulfill his potential, we'll have one of the more complete attackers around.

johno and jeff070 repped this.
  11. doubletrouble

doubletrouble Member+

Manchester United
    Saint Kitts and Nevis
    Dec 16, 2003
    St.Kitts
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    St. Kitts and Nevis
    I haven't lost faith in him completely as a players but I have so much doubt and that's based on how he manager plays him. The position he plays has hampered his progress

12. Ashur

Ashur Member+

Manchester United
    United States
    May 31, 2015
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The only thing that has changed (so far as I'm concerned at least) is that I'd like to see his development focused as a 9/CF. I still believe he can end up making an excellent wing forward as well, but he's not the finished article as a 9 yet. His finishing skills and strikers instincts must be honed first and foremost.
    As far as him struggling, I put it down to a late "Sophomore slump" more than anything else. He was bound to hit a patchy period after all his early success. There really should be nothing to panic yet, as far as Rashford goes: uneven/inconsistent displays come with the territory for young players. Rashford is no different and there's no real reason to doubt him just yet....

13. Sofabloke

Sofabloke Member+

Dec 24, 2003
    Mu
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    972490927972454400 is not a valid tweet id

14. gatekeeper2

gatekeeper2 Member+

Jun 1, 2015
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    If forced to choose between keeping Rashford and Martial, there's no question who we should keep.

15. Ashur

Ashur Member+

Manchester United
    United States
    May 31, 2015
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  16. United 16

United 16 Member+

Manchester United
    Mar 25, 2016
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
  17. gatekeeper2

gatekeeper2 Member+

Jun 1, 2015
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    What divides Jose Mourinho from forum trolls is his attachment to players with character over players with ability.

Martial clearly had more ability than Rashford thee day Mourinho became United manager but Rashford has it all over Martial on character. The boy never sulks on the pitch...when he is offered his chances he makes the most of it.

Marcus could learn a few tricks with the ball from Anthony, but Anthony has the steeper learning curve in terms of character. I have no doubt both will be undisputed world class footballers when they hit their peaks, but right now between the two of them I'd rely more on Rashford than on Martial in big matches.

18. Chaz Striker

Chaz Striker Member+

Jul 26, 2005
    Denver
    Do you always call young black MEN “boys”?

thenamestsam repped this.
  19. Sofabloke

Sofabloke Member+

Dec 24, 2003
    Mu
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Some suggestions that if as Mou stated we dont intend to get any more attackers in the transfer window, then we should show confidence in Rash by giving him the #10 shirt vacated by Ibra.

20. MizzouMUFC

MizzouMUFC Member+

Apr 10, 2010
    Places
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    We shouldn't need to add any attackers this summer as long as there are no departures. Nake Rashford the backup to Lukaku and give AP minutes as a winger/10 backup.

Summer priority should be overhauling our CM and getting a new starting LB and CB to partner Bailly. Assuming Carrick and either Fellaini or Herrera go, then we should bring in a new 8 and new 6. Shaw should ship out and Young can remain the backup LB. As for CB, they've all shown to be inconsistent and average outside of Bailly.

21. Ashur

Ashur Member+

Manchester United
    United States
    May 31, 2015
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I'd be hesitant in giving the #10 shirt to Rashford just yet. He's been pretty unfazed in most things so far, but it's extra pressure he does not necessarily need at ths stage.
    He's not even a regular yet even (it's a technicality but still). Just as he has this season, I still see him getting plenty of games because of his talent and versatility but he'll still be primarily a backup (either to Lukaku at CF or also as a wing forward).
    There's nothing that says that number can stay vacant until someone really worthy/has the cache for it becomes available. The need to have iconic shirts filled up have caused us to seriously devaluate some of them in recent years.
    Maybe one day he'll really be ready for it, not ruling that out. Just don't think it's time yet for Rashford.

22. Sofabloke

Sofabloke Member+

Dec 24, 2003
    Mu
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Futbol_Head and jnielsen repped this.
  23. Ashur

Ashur Member+

Manchester United
    United States
    May 31, 2015