He Scores When He Wants .. - The Marcus Rashford Thread

Discussion in 'Manchester United' started by Sofabloke, Mar 24, 2016.

1. Ashur

Ashur Member+

Manchester United
    United States
    May 31, 2015
    Riding off into the sunset
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Definitely agree that Rashford is not ready to be our main 9 full time yet and would certainly not produced on Zlatan's level in terms of production (which is exactly why I'd advocate for a new one this summer whether Zlatan stays or goes).
    And even though he had seen his fair share of games this season and has done reasonably well overall, it would have been nice to see him get more opportunities upfront, even just to spell Zlatan. Something we've seen too little of so far, in my opinion.

2. Teso Dos Bichos

Teso Dos Bichos Red Card

Sep 2, 2004
    Purged by RvN
    o_O

Anyone else having issues typing on this new mobile site?

benni... and Gilma1990 repped this.
  3. Diable Rouge

Diable Rouge Member+

Jul 17, 2006
    it's anecdotal but i feel like a lot of his goals last year were very close to the goalie's body - that can always go either way as you need a bit of luck (e.g. below the armpits, through the legs, etc.). if you look at say, aguero, in 1v1 situations, he slots in areas where the goalie can't even reach - so much so that they often barely move. now, i understand that aguero is a killer and that comparison is unfair at this stage of rashford's career but i'm just saying the boy is not ready yet. if zlatan doesn't come back next year, i'd still want another star #9.

4. MizzouMUFC

MizzouMUFC Member+

Apr 10, 2010
    Places
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    I don't think anyone is arguing that Rashford is ready to be the starting 9 in the near future. However, I think he could log major minutes if we transition to a two forward system which is possible if Jose wants to go forward with this 3-4-3/3-5-2 formation we've been employing in recent weeks.

5. johno

johno Member+

Jul 15, 2003
    in the wind
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    --other--
    Precisely, nobody is saying Rashford over Zlatan full time. But he certainly deserves minutes. Again, if not finishing clear chances were a reason for exclusion, Zlatan would be in the reserves.

6. J'can

J'can Member+

Jul 3, 2007
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    can't say whether you are right or wrong in this regard but I do remeber that chance he missed against Chelsea (i think) one v one when he ran off a defender and go tthe ball on his left and laced it low and hard. almost like he is playing the percentages rather than "finishing"

he does need to be playing though as he can't improve his finishing from the bench. Mou is stunting his growth not giving him more minutes.

Gilma1990 repped this.
  7. benni...

benni... BigSoccer Supporter

Nov 23, 2004
    Chocolate City
    I think Rashford should play with the England u21'squad depending on if we have other options signed.

8. benni...

Nov 23, 2004
    Chocolate City
    3 games is not enough to get into a groove, but despite really good flashes, Marcus hasn't really done well in this short stint.

9. Teso Dos Bichos

Teso Dos Bichos Red Card

Sep 2, 2004
    Purged by RvN
    He has done fine given the circumstances.

Gilma1990 repped this.
  10. Ashur

Ashur Member+

Manchester United
    United States
    May 31, 2015
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    He has done ok, but as you famously said once re Zlatan, a striker is judged on goals and the truth is, he hasn't delivered on that front in 3 games.
    His run is over but we have to hope that Jose will turn to him more at CF than he has so far to spell Zlatan.

SoccerFan4182 repped this.
  11. Diable Rouge

Diable Rouge Member+

Jul 17, 2006
    this is fine? oh.

12. gatekeeper2

gatekeeper2 Member+

Jun 1, 2015
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Marcus just turned19 last October. Whatever his potential may be, he's simply not ready yet to lead United.

13. United 16

United 16 Member+

Manchester United
    Mar 25, 2016
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    He could be if JM gave him more chances.

Gilma1990 repped this.
  14. Teso Dos Bichos

Teso Dos Bichos Red Card

Sep 2, 2004
    Purged by RvN
    I do not dispute his lack of goals. The fundamental role of a striker is to score goals and anything else they offer to the team is an added bonus.

What I will say is being thrown into a team designed solely for Ibrahimovic, who is a completely different type of player, and one in which we have messed around with systems and personnel over the three games is not ideal.

On the plus side he has done his best, created chances and has forced the keepers into making good saves instead of fluffing his lines. Given his lack of game time previously and the circumstances he has done as well as could be expected. Hopefully Mourinho now recognises he needs to utilise him more.

Professor Brainfart and Gilma1990 repped this.
  15. United 16

United 16 Member+

Manchester United
    Mar 25, 2016
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
  16. gatekeeper2

gatekeeper2 Member+

Jun 1, 2015
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    He's not ready today to lead United. In the near future yes, but not today.

17. Teso Dos Bichos

Teso Dos Bichos Red Card

Sep 2, 2004
    Purged by RvN
    His stage of development is not the issue. Our style of play is. The current team and system is not designed for a #9 making penetrative forward runs.

Gilma1990 repped this.
  18. United 16

United 16 Member+

Manchester United
    Mar 25, 2016
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
  19. Ashur

Ashur Member+

Manchester United
    United States
    May 31, 2015
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    2 goals in his last 2 games: going to be a lot to ask him to carry us, but if he's truly coming into some form the way he's looked this week, United are going to have to ride him hard the rest of the way.
    Just hoping that the likes of Martial, Rooney, Lingard and even Miki can all step up to the plate enough to give him the support he's going to need, but there is no doubt that Rashford is the one we're going to have to count on primarily the rest of the way.

20. jeff070

jeff070 Member+

Dec 31, 2004
    PA
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Lebanon
    He needs to finish better if we are going to have a good run.

21. Ashur

Ashur Member+

Manchester United
    United States
    May 31, 2015
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Poor finishing is something that has plagued the whole team this season. That being said, Rashford appears to be playing with confidence and real hunger again.
    And hopefully, that, coupled with the knowledge he is our guy upfront the rest of the way, will bring back the player who seemingly couldn't do no wrong at the end of last season.

22. benni...

Nov 23, 2004
    Chocolate City
    Learning from Zlatan.

23. johno

johno Member+

Jul 15, 2003
    in the wind
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    --other--
    He needs to relax. He is putting himself under pressure. He needs a partner as well. I can't wait for him to mature. He is the type of forward we need. If we can surround him with the right talent, he could be special.

Ashur repped this.
  24. gatekeeper2

gatekeeper2 Member+

Jun 1, 2015
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Marcus was clean through on the Anderlecht keeper (can't recall if it was before or after he was wrongly called offside) but his last touch failed him. The 19-year-old boy wonder will work through this soon enough.

The pressure on Marcus will be a fact of life until someone else steps up. Hopefully Anthony, probably Henrikh...but possibly Wayne.

Easier said that done, but we have to do much better on converting on the ridiculous number of glorious chances we continue to create, match after match. At least in Europa League play, as it seems unlikely that either Liverpool and City will suffer a calamitous collapse in their last few games.

25. Rooney20

Rooney20 Member+

Jan 8, 2007
    New York
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    3 in the last 3 mate just because he scored against Sunderland doesn't mean it doesn't count ;)

Ashur repped this.