Hawaii in December

Discussion in 'Food & Travel' started by Puro_Sinaloa, Oct 12, 2009.

1. Puro_Sinaloa

Puro_Sinaloa Member+

Dec 3, 2005
    Hawaii is in the plans this coming December. We postponed our Summer trip to December, because the last time we were in Hawaii, we were told the wave are much bigger in December. Does anybody know if this is true?

2. K:thecore

K:thecore Member+

May 20, 2002
    Honolulu
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Well yeah...thats the winter swell from the arctic. Big wave surf competition tournaments held during this time on the rock. North shores of the islands are impacted so southern shores (e.g., waikiki, Oahu) are quiet.

If you had done a little googling, you coulda found this out pretty darn easily on your own bra.

3. tin spam

tin spam Member

Jan 15, 2006
    Hey where's the island hospitality? Sure you confirmed his questions but did you have to be like that?

4. K:thecore

May 20, 2002
    Honolulu
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    oh...Aloha spirit? You ask anyone here and that just a huge joke....

:)

5. Puro_Sinaloa

Puro_Sinaloa Member+

Dec 3, 2005
    I guess I was kind of asking for personal experiences. No need to snap at me, "bra." From my personal experience, the Hawaiians were pretty cool about giving you advice. I was amazed since Im pretty sure they're tired of all these tourists asking them questions all the time.

6. Cascarino's Pizzeria

Apr 29, 2001
    New Jersey, USA
    Ever watch Dog the Bounty Hunter? I never knew that the Appalachian mountains stretched all the way to the middle of the Pacific. :)

7. K:thecore

May 20, 2002
    Honolulu
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    There is a TON of white trash on Oahu. Just cruise down Waikiki and thats all you see.

The upper whites visit Maui.

8. Puro_Sinaloa

Puro_Sinaloa Member+

Dec 3, 2005
    What I noticed about Waikiki, was the high amount of crack heads roaming around. Lanikai beach was awesome....

9. K:thecore

May 20, 2002
    Honolulu
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Ice is a huge problem here. Lots and lots of meth-heads.

Another problem....passive aggressive people.

We just had two murders where people either heard or saw something weird and no one bothered calling 911...one was a girl who was raped and killed in an alley (Kalihi) and the other was this New Mexico chick visiting with family who got raped and killed on Waikiki Beach in front of Sheraton Moana Hotel.

Pretty tragic and stupid at the same time.

10. Puro_Sinaloa

Puro_Sinaloa Member+

Dec 3, 2005
    Besides the crack heads, there seems to be a problem with transients who seem to suffer from some obvious forms of mental disease.

11. K:thecore

May 20, 2002
    Honolulu
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    theres an urban legend that states are sending their homeless problems to Hawaii.

12. Puro_Sinaloa

Puro_Sinaloa Member+

Dec 3, 2005
    lol...

I remember at night seeing this one black guy talking to himself in a very emotional way. Then I wake up in the morning and go out to the beach, and the same guy was still doing the exact same thing

13. Cascarino's Pizzeria

Apr 29, 2001
    New Jersey, USA
    San Fran & Miami will be happy to hear that.

14. QuakeAttack

QuakeAttack Member+

Apr 10, 2002
    California - Bay Area
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Yeah, San Francisco is the capital of Homeless People. I'm still scared from seeing the homeless dude in a speedo when I was a kid in the 70s...

15. QuakeAttack

QuakeAttack Member+

Apr 10, 2002
    California - Bay Area
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    My wife is Hawaiian. We have been going back to Hawaii (Oahu) for a couple of weeks at Xmas for almost 20 years. It's a second home for us.

As mentioned, the surfing is definately better this time of year. We (my kids and I) boogie board rather than surf.

Where are you staying?

16. TrooperBari

TrooperBari Moderator
    Staff Member

Apr 3, 2001
    Jakarta
    Meanwhile, the elites buy up Kauai and doctors from Orange County descend on the Big Island.

@ Puro: I hope you'll be visiting other islands and not just staying on Oahu.

17. Puro_Sinaloa

Puro_Sinaloa Member+

Dec 3, 2005
    In Honolulu near Waikiki. The last time we went to Hawaii, we stayed at the Resort Quest Sunset or something like that. I looked for it again, but I think they changed their name. Nothing fancy, but it worked for me.

18. Puro_Sinaloa

Puro_Sinaloa Member+

Dec 3, 2005
    We have thought about making a trip to the Big Island.

19. K:thecore

May 20, 2002
    Honolulu
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Would go to Kauai every chance I get.

20. TrooperBari

TrooperBari Moderator
    Staff Member

Apr 3, 2001
    Jakarta
    Definitely worth the trip, especially if you get to see the volcano at night.

I'd throw in the waterfalls and Waipio Valley, too, but I'm biased.