HAUPTMAN SELLS

Discussion in 'Chicago Fire' started by Jiggly_333, Jul 11, 2018.

1. Jiggly_333

Jiggly_333 Member+

Chicago Fire
    Mar 8, 2015
    Corner of Bedlam and Squalor (It's that way ->)
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    Nat'l Team:
    Japan
    I think that Joe might humor him for at least the rest of this season (or the rest of the window). If Andy makes good decisions, Joe keeps him around. If not, he takes the rest of the club. I don't know. Andy still has the controlling stake, so he's kind of got the leverage here.

2. firefan2001

firefan2001 Member+

Dec 27, 2000
    Oswego, Illinois
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    So his leverage is that Joe pays for everything while Andi sits on his ass. I don't see that happening, I believe nothing is going the happen the rest of the year (player signing, well a difference makers). If Andi can't hold up his end (half) then Joe buys out Andi. I think that they are talking about the sale of the rest of the team and Joe can run it as he wants.

3. JohnR

JohnR Member+

Jun 23, 2000
    Chicago, IL
    You guys are going to be happy. Joe doesn't think small. He didn't put his money into the Fire to get back nickels and dimes. He wants the Fire to be something.

4. xtomx

xtomx Member+

Chicago Fire
    Sep 6, 2001
    Northern Wisconsin, but not far from civilization
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    That is my thinking, as well.

5. Fanaddict

Fanaddict Member+

Mar 9, 2000
    streamwood IL USA
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Dramatically increased the profile of the Chicago Fire? Andrew has practically made them invisible.

LIZZIE repped this.
  6. loonixxx

loonixxx Member+

Chicago Red Stars
    Aug 28, 2004
    Soccer Limbo
    Club:
    Jagiellonia Bialystok SSA
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I think we'll at least be back on regular TV next year, probably cable/satellite but hopefully a OTA channel like My50 again.

Jiggly_333 repped this.
  7. pena pirata

pena pirata Member+

Sep 28, 2013
    Batavia
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    Love to see them on WGN. The Fire could take the place of all the Last Man Standing and Two and Half Men reruns they play on Saturday nights.

8. HerthaBerwyn

HerthaBerwyn Member+

May 24, 2003
    Chicago
    Now we are looking for the 2% Solution!

lethargytartare repped this.
  9. Mikebsiu

Mikebsiu Member+

Mar 15, 2008
    Club:
    RSC Anderlecht
    I think everyone needs to chill out. I am excited and I think change will happen, but Andy still has 51% of the team.

10. loonixxx

loonixxx Member+

Chicago Red Stars
    Aug 28, 2004
    Soccer Limbo
    Club:
    Jagiellonia Bialystok SSA
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I agree completely and while I'm happy with what's finally happened, I'm still kind of in wait and see mode.

firefan2001, lncolnpk and LIZZIE repped this.
  11. HerthaBerwyn

HerthaBerwyn Member+

May 24, 2003
    Chicago
    Jingle Bells
    Hauptman Sells
    Nelson signed Katai
    Well score some goals
    But have some holes
    our keepers got one eye.

goldclover, GHjelm, Mac97 and 8 others repped this.
  12. Pennsylvania Dave

Jul 31, 2012
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    [​IMG]

13. Fighting Illini

Fighting Illini Member+

Feb 6, 2014
    Chicago
    Whatever Hauptman's intentions have been, the Fire have had all the hallmarks of a cash-poor organization. That has now changed, at least.

GHjelm, xtomx, CMeszt and 2 others repped this.
  14. lncolnpk

lncolnpk Member+

Mar 5, 2012
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    This changes nothing. If you think the new Region Rat owner ( I'm a Region Rat) is going to let Andy spend his money especially without control, you are nuts. The more I think about this, this was a SUM purchase.

15. bunge

bunge BigSoccer Supporter

Oct 24, 2000
    Why would someone invest millions in 49% of a failing team without any ability to control anything that happened to his investment?

GHjelm, Downloaf, xtomx and 3 others repped this.
  16. CMeszt

CMeszt Member+

Farewell Sweet Prince
    Jan 9, 2004
    Gentrification's Apex.
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    A dead cat bounce is still progress.

Jiggly_333 repped this.
  17. splunge63

splunge63 Member+

Mar 30, 2014
    west burbs
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    Maybe so, but we're in a wildly better state than we were. Is it nirvana? Of course not. But methinks Mansueto has big plans and he will get control eventually. Highly doubt this is a passive investment scheme.

18. White/Blue_since1860

Orange14 is gay
    Jan 4, 2007
    Bum zua City
    Club:
    TSV 1860 München
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
  19. plezercruz

plezercruz Member

Sep 20, 2004
    The obvious answer there is that the investor might see a possibility that with an infusion of money, some investment might be made that the current owner lacks the funds to make, and this might improve the future of the organization such that he profits.

For example (and purely speculatively) suppose Hauptman and Mansueto truly believe that if they could buy out the Bridgeview contract and move to Chicago, they could make far more than the buyout costs, but Hauptman doesn't have the cash to do it, it might make sense to add an investor, use his investment cash to make the move, and together enjoy the profits. Not saying this will happen, but that's the sort of move that makes a minority investor a lot of money.

Pete (speculates wildly)

splunge63 and GHjelm repped this.
  20. Fighting Illini

Fighting Illini Member+

Feb 6, 2014
    Chicago
    The nightmare scenario would be that Mansueto sees the same thing Hauptman does, that ownership of the Chicago MLS market is a goldmine in which a massive payday is guaranteed without doing any of the work of developing the league, and Hauptman was only willing to seek outside investment because the short-term costs were getting too rich for his blood.

Both the damage of the US missing the World Cup and the Ricketts jumping in with the USL franchise would make this weird timing to come to that realization though. I'll be guardedly optimistic until we see more.

seamuslush and LIZZIE repped this.
  21. JohnR

JohnR Member+

Jun 23, 2000
    Chicago, IL
    The only reason to buy into the Chicago Fire is to change it.

willydonc and Jiggly_333 repped this.
  22. lncolnpk

lncolnpk Member+

Mar 5, 2012
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    SUM, they just hit the jackpot with the World Cup 2026

23. Downloaf

Downloaf Member

Aug 20, 2014
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
  24. GHjelm

GHjelm Member+

Apr 23, 2008
    Batavia
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    I think what some people are indicating, and I do not believe to be true, is that Mansueto is buying in for a shot at expansion fees and SUM income. Basically making him a second Hauptman. In short, he wouldn't care about his investment in the Fire, he would care about his investment in the SUM/expansion fees that are very tenuously related to Fire's success or failure. That is a worst case scenario and literally puts us in no worse condition than we already are, although we would have two morons not spending money instead of one.

I find that highly doubtful for a few reasons:

1) Mansueto is no venture capitalist. He's a builder of companies, not a dealer. He's Elon Musk not Mitt Romney.

2) He's local. If he were purely in it for the SUM ownership, I'm sure he could buy in somewhere cheaper as the location is a major part of the increased cost of ownership. That extra cost lowers the average rate of return since the fees earned from SUM and expansion is a flat value to all teams regardless of the cost to purchase.

3) He's local. He seems to love Chicago and, hopefully by extension, its sports teams.

4) He's generally considered one of the good ones in terms of being a billionaire. He's signed Warren Buffett's pledge to give at least half of his fortune away. It could be a cloak to hide behind, but everyone thing I've heard, in writing and anecdotally, make him sound like a decent human being.

lethargytartare, SixKick, JohnR and 5 others repped this.
  25. CMeszt

CMeszt Member+

Farewell Sweet Prince
    Jan 9, 2004
    Gentrification's Apex.
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    My wife is a Maroon alum and knew a hell of a lot more than I did* about him when this was announced.

*which was nothing.

SixKick and Downloaf repped this.