Has Nigeria finally turned the corner?

Discussion in 'Africa' started by Unak78, Mar 12, 2016.

1. Unak78

Unak78 BigSoccer Supporter

Dec 17, 2007
    PSG & Enyimba FC
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Nigeria
    #1 Unak78, Mar 12, 2016
    Last edited: Apr 14, 2016
    Really excited about Nigeria'so future up front. Love the way that Iheanacho and Iwobi are already pressing for 1st team inclusion at such young ages. Iheanacho is an amazing finisher and passes with vision but needs work on his first touch and dribbling (he's recently put on a few inches which may have a bit to do with some of his dribbling issues). Iwobi complements him as its clear that he aspires to emulate his uncle as the new Okocha. And then the clouds might align for a move for Ahmed Musa to a to a top club in England. Moses and Mikel bring experience in the midfield. All that's neededicated is for some defenders to develop AND for the FALL to beg, cajole, bribe, etc Vincent Enyeama to return. That doesn't even mention the wealth of striking talent with Ighalo and Nwakali...

We seem to be returning to the look of the 90s team. Very heavy in attack but weak at the back (West and Babayaro were greatplayers but known for getting forward to make things happen, but were frequently caught out when good opponents countered) which I prefer, but I'll take my chances in a shootout (especially with Enyeama there to bail out the defense) but you cannot win many matches if you cannot score goals as Nigeria has been struggling with in recent years.

I'd like to see how a 4-3-2-1 would look. Has this been tried before with Nigeria? You could ultimately pair Iwobi and Iheanacho behind Musa and let those two's relative strengths (Iwobi's dribbling and Iheanacho's passing and uncanny instinct to make appropriate runs into the box and finish) play havoc on back 4s. Plus you have a diverse backup for Musa in Ighalo who I think could also do well in that spot.

Just spitballing, but I love the recent player development going on in Naija. And poaching Iwobi from England (a player they legitimately actually wanted, albeit likely due to him being Okocha'so nephew) is a win I never thought I'd see an African side be able to pull off in the current era. I haven't even mentioned Ibe.

I also think that Iheanacho and Iwobi'so back stories aided their development towards skills that Nigeria began to lack. Iheanacho couldn't afford to watch EPL matches and so molded his progression towards emulating Spanish football, Messi in particular. And Iwobi had Okocha to look up to, who better?

If Enyeama can return and the youngstars stay hungry and healthy, Nigeria reallyou has a shot at doing something really special. Maybe be the next Belgium or Columbia...

Again, the biggest holes at the moment are coaching, defense and almost certainly goalkeeping.

E2A: A better idea would be Iwobi as CAM, Iheanacho as striker with Musa and Ighalo on the wings. Definitely a better idea than what I wrote.

Yacine9 and zahzah repped this.
  2. zahzah

zahzah Member+

Jun 27, 2011
    Club:
    FK Crvena Zvezda Beograd
    I don't think the back is as hopeless.

Wilfried Ndidi (Genk) and Chidozie Amaziem (Porto) could make for a world class back two. Both players are potential world class and starters for their clubs at the age of 19 (albeit Ndidi as a DM). Chidozie Amaziem is being touted as pure class and reportedly has a 30 mln EUR release clause. And he's been a starter for the past month or so.

You also can't forget that Leon Balogun has been having a tremendous season as CB with multiple team of the week appearances in the Bundesliga.

I also wouldn't count out Kenneth Omeruo, plus Kennedy Otigba should be given a look at. All in all it looks better than I can remember.

Unak78 repped this.
  3. Yacine9

Yacine9 Member

Jun 23, 2014
    Algiers
    Club:
    FC Bayern München
    Nat'l Team:
    Algeria
    He was good in Brazil but don't think I've heard much from him after it

4. TheHitman47

TheHitman47 Member

Jan 14, 2016
    Club:
    Manchester City FC
    I think after seeing last night's Arsenal game against Barcelona, Alex Iwobi could more than likely be our future #10 and Iheanacho is our future #9. Our Olympic Team is going to be VERY strong and hopefully a good Coach can really take Advantage of the Talent we have available. Hopefully this gets us another Gold medal, AFCON win and deep run in the world Cup.

I think central defense is good, but what we lack now are Quality wing backs.

Unak78 repped this.
  5. Unak78

Dec 17, 2007
    PSG & Enyimba FC
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Nigeria
    #5 Unak78, Apr 14, 2016
    Nigeria's coaching dilemma has been something that was concerning and now it's a national spectacle. One one side you have the federation chief who wants a foreign coach at all costs and on the other you have the sporting commission chief and pretty much everyone else who doesn't.

The biggest problem that I have here is that this (coach's nationality) shouldn't even be an issue. A coach's nationality can be a sign of some grievance in more structured federations in Europe or SA who we're trying to emulate with the logic that no nation has won a WC with a foreign coach. But even in England it isn't blown up to these proportions bc the general concern is getting the best coach for the job period. The problem here isn't that we shouldn't have Nigerian coaches running our national team. That is a good goal and should be a priority for the federation. The problem that I have is the general Nigerian arrogance of "a Nigerian coach at all costs" regardless of whether we can determine if they're good enough or not. Right now I don't think there is a Nigerian coach who is the absolute best coach possible for us. Keshi proved that he was up to the task and got to keep the job for some time. But I'm not sure if there is anyone else outside of Siasia who should even be considered. So sitting here and complaining that we can't copy Brazil and Italy in employing domestic coaches to take us all the way is arrogant considering that these nations have been competing in international competitions and World Cups for over 80 years. We have talent but not that type of deeply ingrained pedigree. You have to put some effort to get that, not just plug coaches into a role because of the passport that they carry.

There are Nigerians who want coaches from our still-redeveloping domestic league thrown into the mix with a WC berth on the line when what we should be asking for is a restructuring of how we certify, train, and gain international exposure for our coaches so that we can ensure at the end of the day, they have been exposed to and can adapt to the tactics that will be used against them at the highest level. Can we change on the fly? Can we eventually build our own unique tactical setup that keys on the strengths of our footballers while nullifying our opponent's strategies? Can we utilize proper and timely substitutions? Can we nurture our promising young talent and build a tactical setup that utilizes their strengths, thus allowing them to control the course of a match? Can we devise our own version of the Tiki-Taka, Samba Football, Total Football or Catenaccio; ... (a setup that might dominate the world for a cycle or more)? Because that's what makes having a domestic coach so useful, they can devise unique and culturally-informed set of tactics that make their football so unique and take the world by surprise before the rest can adapt to it.

Because if a domestic coach isn't giving us that, then there really is little edge if they're just rehashing tactics that they've learned from around the world but aren't trying to do anything inventive themselves. That comes from training, exposure to many different styles of football and constant study of the game. This requires effort on the behalf of the FA; and yes, they've failed Nigerian coaches, but that can't be fixed by next year and we have a WC to qualify for with perhaps the best group of talented young players that Nigeria's had in over a decade. So right now, what's important is to find the best coach, I don't care where he/SHE's from... Just my opinion on this.

E2A: One final note.... get Vincent Enyeama back,... at all costs! I don't care what you have to do. Bribe him. Guilt trip him. Post pictures of crying Nigerian children on Instagram and Twitter. Offer him women. Offer him food. Offer him gold. Get Cardinal Arinze to offer him indentures in the next life,... assuming he's Catholic,... if not find a minister in whatever religion he follows and get him to tell him that God commands it. Buy stock in Apple and offer that to him. Offer him my first born... okay that might be much... just get it done. We need him!!

6. Unak78

Dec 17, 2007
    PSG & Enyimba FC
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Nigeria
    #6 Unak78, Apr 14, 2016
    I'd add Vincent Enyeama to that last sentence... really how could we let something like this happen?

Yeah, it's clear that Iwobi is the more natural 10 and Iheanacho is a sure-fire 9 who can easily play as a lone striker if needed. They just need to start playing them now. We like to compare our coaches to Brazil all the time. Well Brazilian coaches don't wait for European clubs to put their players in the starting 11 before they do so with the Seleccaio when they know they have a sure-fire talent who's ready to be molded. They immediately begin devising their tactical setup around those players for the long haul. Why isn't Nigeria doing this already. Even if you don't start them, they should at least be getting serious minutes. You blood your talent early and get them involved because what really wins World Cups are World-Class players. If you have youngsters who show that potential and older players who are merely "very good", "solid", or "serviceable" then you have to realize that, while you're "respecting" the older players, they're not the ones who can win a World Cup ever. But the young ones might. Time to make hard decisions and start finding out how Iwobi and Iheanacho will play together.

7. zahzah

zahzah Member+

Jun 27, 2011
    Club:
    FK Crvena Zvezda Beograd
    This. It's obvious they are future world football stars. Which we haven't had since the retirement of Okocha (only Enyeama coming close).

The national team MUST be built around them.

Unak78 repped this.
  8. Unak78

Dec 17, 2007
    PSG & Enyimba FC
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Nigeria
    The only issue with Iheanacho is, depending on the style of attack, he doesn't score much with his head that I've seen. He almost exclusively finishes with his feet, which is great if Nigeria plays a style of attack that gets the ball to his feet into space. Iwobi's style of play could help facilitate, but we also need the right set of tactics.

9. zahzah

zahzah Member+

Jun 27, 2011
    Club:
    FK Crvena Zvezda Beograd
    What Nigeria need to compliment them is someone of the mold of Musa Yahaya as a creative force in the hole.

10. Unak78

Dec 17, 2007
    PSG & Enyimba FC
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Nigeria
    Alex Iwobi is already a creative force and will likely start for Arsenal next season. He's definitely shaping up to be the future #10 for Nigeria.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1ZB9Z2ty0Xo

Iheanacho is becoming even more prolific by taking his opportunities with the two starts he's been given against Stoke and Southampton. Hopefully Pep will take this even further. You would think that Toure or Bony would give him some advice on giving credit to his teammates so they won't keep leaving him alone after his goals but I suspect that they're each more concerned with their own futures than being his "big brothers" anymore...

The first goal vs Southampton was particularly encouraging for me because he finally showed some improvement on some of the perceived weaknesses in his game since graduating to the senior team (thing that he'd done well both in the U-17s and with the City EDS); close-control dribbling and headed goals. These seemed to me less a lack of innate skill and more a bit of developing confidence and decision-making at this level. Even Messi doesn't try to dribble thru three defenders who are standing right next to him... he finds angles and exploits them. Iheanacho did this and when he did he looked comfortable and made the right decision and the right pass. Then he showed, what has been a continuing strength; ie excellent movement without the ball. It was this skill that set up City's first goal against Stoke with his off ball movement setting him up for a goal and forcing the defender to grab him from behind.

11. Unak78

Dec 17, 2007
    PSG & Enyimba FC
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Nigeria
    #11 Unak78, May 5, 2016
    Last edited: May 5, 2016
    I just love the frindship that is apparently forming between Iwobi and Iheanacho, who were roomies on their past call-ups to the Nigerian National team. Although some ignorant fans berated them for taking a selfie-pic with Abdullahi Shehu before the Egypt second leg as if taking a single pic prevented Nigeria from claiming points. Fools, they barely even played, what did that selfie do if they were kept on the bench for most of the time?

[​IMG]

They're both the same age and play styles of football that complement one another well up-front. How can you not build a system to exploit your two most promising talents? It's also nice to see two young Igbos can be friends with a Muslim (Hausa) youngster from the North (Kano) of the country. Isn't this what human growth is supposed to be all about??? Us all learning to live with and love one another?????

12. zahzah

zahzah Member+

Jun 27, 2011
    Club:
    FK Crvena Zvezda Beograd
    Very happy Isaac Success is joining Watford. Previously the star player at the U17 team, that got bested by Iheanacho. The best player on a very poor Granada side, I'm sure he can turn heads and has way more talent than Ighalo, who will never be a Super Eagles mainstay.

Very nice selection of Best of for Success.

Also very excited by the Roma duo of Nura Abdullahi (RB) and Umar Sadiq (CF).

The future:

GK: Dele Alampasu (Feirense, POR)
    RB: Musa Muhammad (Barasekspir, TUR), Nura Abdullahi (AS Roma/ ITA)
    CB: Wilfried Ndidi (Genk / BEL), Kenneth Omeruo (Kasimpasa / TUR, on loan from Chelsea), Chidozie Awaziem (FC Porto / POR)
    LB: Kingsley Madu (Trencin, SLO), Chima Akas (Akwa United, NIG)
    MF: Shehu Abdullahi (Uniao Madeira, POR), Anderson Esiti (Feirense, POR), Kelechi Nwakali (Arsenal, ENG), Chidiebere Nwakali (IK Start / Norway, on loan from Manchester City), Ifeanyi Matthew (Kano Pillars, NIG), Musa Yahaya (Portimonense / NIG, on loan from Tottenham)
    FW / WG: Moses Simon (Gent / BEL), Kelechi Iheanacho (Manchester City / ENG), Sadiq Umar (AS Roma / NIG), Isaac Success (Watford / ENG), Alex Iwobi (Arsenal / ENG), Victor Osimhen (Wolfsburg / GER)

With this selection of players I wonder what the hell we invite over-23 players to the national team, let alone the Olympics squad (above I listed 20 exceptional Nigerian talents, whereas only 18 players can actually go)...

Unak78 repped this.
  13. zahzah

zahzah Member+

Jun 27, 2011
    Club:
    FK Crvena Zvezda Beograd
    With all due respect to Ahmed Musa or Odion Ighalo, Alex Iwobi and Kelechi Iheanacho should be the first names on the Nigerian starting XI. Add on Isaac Success and one other winger (Ahmed Musa or Moses Simon - sorry Victor Moses) and Nigeria is set for the next 10+ years up front. Damn... don't even know where to fit in Uma Sadiq, but that guy is also something special.

14. Unak78

Dec 17, 2007
    PSG & Enyimba FC
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Nigeria
    #14 Unak78, May 9, 2016
    Last edited: May 9, 2016
    http://www.goal.com/en-ng/news/4079...-super-eagles-promote-home-grown-coaches-from

15. Mengão86

Mengão86 Moderator
    Staff Member

Flamengo
    Brazil
    Nov 16, 2005
    Maryland, RJ/ES/PE
    Club:
    Flamengo Rio Janeiro
    Nat'l Team:
    Brazil
    Are you sure you aren't being premature with that statement after only 1000+ minutes? You do have a history of running the gun a bit ;)

I don't think my statement has been proven false yet.

upload_2016-5-18_14-51-1.png

Also, how has Moses Simon done this season?

16. zahzah

zahzah Member+

Jun 27, 2011
    Club:
    FK Crvena Zvezda Beograd
    World class talent does not equal world class player. He is obviously a world class talent and proved it this season. Whether he will become a world class player remains to be seen.

Nothing as explosive as last season and definitely a step back for him. Did well in CL games though.

His height is bound to impede his career. And the thing is Nigeria isn't banking on one talent, because right now they are all over the place.

Unak78 repped this.
  17. Unak78

Dec 17, 2007
    PSG & Enyimba FC
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Nigeria
    Yeah I think Zah has a point here. Iheanacho has World Class talent. But he's not a World Class player yet, he has to earn that. But the potential is there. It's not all in his hands though, he has to develop under the right system with the right opportunities and a manager who believes in him and will call his number on a regular basis. Nigerian players don't have the cache yet that players from Brazil or Argentina do so it's not as easy to get our young players opportunities under good managers to develop without being shipped off to lesser leagues on loan deals or other such things. But if you can develop two or three world class players up front, then that's a hell of a good start. Look at how Suarez, Forlan and Cavani carried Uruguay for those years. If Iheanacho, Iwobi and another young attacking player become World-Class and especially at like ages where they can all develop along-side one-another, Nigeria could have a generation capable of equaling their mid-90's team which was once ranked #5 in the world.

EvanJ repped this.
  18. HomokHarcos

HomokHarcos Member+

Jul 2, 2014
    Club:
    AS Roma
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I remember watching clips of the 1994 team during school in 2012. Became a cult team for me. Even though Nigeria made it as far in 2014, I think the team was less memorable than 1994 and 1998. Hope to see them in the quarters soon.

Unak78 repped this.
  19. zahzah

zahzah Member+

Jun 27, 2011
    Club:
    FK Crvena Zvezda Beograd
    That team was top class with the players to go really far. A bit unlucky in 1994, but disentegrated in 1998. I don't think there ever was an African team with such title credentials as they had, save for maybe Cameroon 1982.

Unak78 repped this.
  20. Unak78

Dec 17, 2007
    PSG & Enyimba FC
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Nigeria
    It's sad really. It's like one year they suddenly lost all concept on how to develop creative attacking players. I was at Nigeria's first game vs Bulgaria in '94. Very memorable experience.

21. HomokHarcos

HomokHarcos Member+

Jul 2, 2014
    Club:
    AS Roma
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    #21 HomokHarcos, Jun 10, 2016
    Last edited: Jun 10, 2016
    I wasn't even alive yet but looking back at 1994 it's heartbreaking knowing how close they were to eliminating Italy. I think Nigeria were actually a better team than Bulgaria that year and more deserving of a semifinals but were unfortunate in facing Italy earlier.

Unak78 repped this.
  22. Unak78

Dec 17, 2007
    PSG & Enyimba FC
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Nigeria
    They proved that on the field. I don't give much stock to FIFA rankings but, considering how impossible it is to be ranked highly playing outside UEFA or CONMEBOL is these days,... it says alot about that team that they were ranked as high as #5 back then and they probably rated it. They truly had World-Class players back then and were entertaining,... creative. Something that West African football lost track of in their bid become more defensive and organized. Hopefully the recent developing players shows an emphasis in response to an obvious and glaring lack of creativity.

23. zahzah

zahzah Member+

Jun 27, 2011
    Club:
    FK Crvena Zvezda Beograd
    The ranking system is something of a self fulfilling prophecy because the accumulated points basically stay within one confed. In order to break the cycle you need to take points from other confeds by strong performances at international tournaments.

As for creativity: Ghana has shades of it but there are too many box to box midfielders or DMs. Senegal has Mane and Konate, both tricky inventive players but they lack a creative Ozil type presence. Meanwhile Nigeria now has a crop of cerebral creators in Iheanacho, Success, Iwobi, Yahaya or Nwakali (Nigeria's Pirlo?)... If these guys click. .. wow. ..

Unak78 repped this.
  24. HomokHarcos

HomokHarcos Member+

Jul 2, 2014
    Club:
    AS Roma
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Hopefully Nigeria can improve to become a top team. If there's an African team that does well I want it to be Nigeria or Egypt. I don't care too much for the Ghana and Cote d'Ivoire teams.

Unak78 repped this.
  25. zahzah

zahzah Member+

Jun 27, 2011
    Club:
    FK Crvena Zvezda Beograd