Hanna Barbera Cup 2008

Discussion in 'Mexico: Club Cups and Competitions' started by sidspaceman, Dec 6, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. DGreat

DGreat Moderator
    Staff Member

CD Guadalajara
    Mexico
    Oct 5, 2007
    El Ombligo
    Club:
    CD Chivas de Guadalajara
    Nat'l Team:
    Mexico
    sigh i thought it was obvious too, anywho so it is being stronngly speculated that these are the groups:
    A:
    pumas
    chivas usa
    atlante
    new england

B:"the group of death" aka "group of classics" or so they say
    chivas del guadalajara
    pachuca
    dynamo
    d.c. united

2. Violationgd

Violationgd New Member

Nov 15, 2005
    Los Angeles
    Club:
    CD Chivas de Guadalajara
    Nat'l Team:
    Mexico
    My bad. I thought he was serious.

3. Chivas100

Chivas100 New Member

Nov 30, 2006
    Chicago
    Queretaro
    Leon
    Dorados
    Tapatio

are the teams that should go to Hanna Cup.

These teams are some of the best of Primera A and match or even are better than most American 1st division teams.

4. el-choul

el-choul Member+

Apr 17, 2006
    DC
    Official dates:
    http://www.superliga2007.com/headlines/index.html?article_id=181

5. Chivas100

Chivas100 New Member

Nov 30, 2006
    Chicago
    This will definitely be an all-Mexican final, these are some of our strongest teams, might as well call CD Guadalajara (CD Tapatio) instead. Hope the finals are in Toyota Park i want to see the Hulk.

6. El Pipiripau

El Pipiripau Member+

Jul 10, 2006
    Escondido!!!
    Club:
    Club Santos Laguna
    Nat'l Team:
    Mexico
    Yeah this is a dumb competition but I have to watch my Santos.

7. elvasco

elvasco 100% Americanista

Sep 10, 2006
    pachuca-santos the only game I'm slightly interested in seeing, the others bahhhh....mickey mouse.

8. el-choul

el-choul Member+

Apr 17, 2006
    DC
    Don't you know that Pachuca-Houston and Chivas-DC United are rivalries?:D

edit- and I'm so interested that I didn't even notice Pachuca-Houston isn't a first round game.

9. elvasco

Sep 10, 2006
    Spazzos I tell you....... they are one of a kind all two hundred of them.
    can you imagine a riot in the stadium between barras from Chivas(the real ones not the phony ones) and DC United?
    50 middle age accountants fighting a couple thousand 15-20 year old chivas' fans.

10. DGreat

DGreat Moderator
    Staff Member

CD Guadalajara
    Mexico
    Oct 5, 2007
    El Ombligo
    Club:
    CD Chivas de Guadalajara
    Nat'l Team:
    Mexico
    i put money on the 20 year olds oh well ima go see tapatio beat them sorry ass dynamos:D

11. el-choul

el-choul Member+

Apr 17, 2006
    DC
    To be fair, last year we had a 3W-4T-3L record in games against MLS teams in Superliga. Of course, Pachuca won in the semis and the final, when it counted most, but the only other win was Chivas in the first round against LA. Given that it's preseason, and there's no big prestige attached to it, there's no reason to expect us to win every single game.

12. SideshowBob

SideshowBob Member

Jan 12, 2007
    Maryland
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Even that's misleading. Two of those wins were on penalties and were tied at the end of regulation. A more realistic record was 1W-6T-3L.

That said, the Mexican squads involved face a lot of disadvantages relative to the MLS teams: being on the road, having to travel across the USA for games, being in pre-season mode (not at full conditioning). So, it's not surprising for otherwise stronger teams of Mexico to have less than stellar results (at least compared to how they've done traditionally against MLS teams).

I think the new CONCACAF Champions League will be pretty interesting in comparing the two leagues as the group stage is proper home/away and done when both leagues are in season.

13. Chivas100

Chivas100 New Member

Nov 30, 2006
    Chicago
    Club Priorities:

1.La Liga
    2.Copa Libertadores
    3.Copa Sudamericana
    4.Copa de Campeones
    5.Liga de Campeones
    6.SuperLiga

14. el-choul

el-choul Member+

Apr 17, 2006
    DC
    True. I'd completely forgotten Pachuca's semi and final wins were by penalties.

I agree that the HB Cup is last, but I wouldn't rank Sudamericana above any tournament granting a berth to Tokyo.

15. Chivas100

Chivas100 New Member

Nov 30, 2006
    Chicago
    Oh ya thats right. Where would you include the InterLiga? behind the Copa Libertadores or Sudamericana? It is an all-Mexican team competition but some teams use all-cantera squads like Pumas in it.

16. el-choul

el-choul Member+

Apr 17, 2006
    DC
    I don't know. I only watch if Chivas is in it. Otherwise I don't care.

17. sidspaceman

sidspaceman Moderator
    Staff Member

Feb 20, 2002
    AMÉRICA DE CALI
    Club:
    America de Cali
    Nat'l Team:
    Colombia
    [youtube]PLpw23suxbw[/youtube]

So Televisa isn't going to show this tourney in Mexico.

18. elvasco

Sep 10, 2006
  19. sidspaceman

sidspaceman Moderator
    Staff Member

Feb 20, 2002
    AMÉRICA DE CALI
    Club:
    America de Cali
    Nat'l Team:
    Colombia
    I think the game I just played with my nieces is a more meaningfully competition then Hanna Barbera Cup.

20. DGreat

DGreat Moderator
    Staff Member

CD Guadalajara
    Mexico
    Oct 5, 2007
    El Ombligo
    Club:
    CD Chivas de Guadalajara
    Nat'l Team:
    Mexico
  21. sidspaceman

sidspaceman Moderator
    Staff Member

Feb 20, 2002
    AMÉRICA DE CALI
    Club:
    America de Cali
    Nat'l Team:
    Colombia
    It is incredible the writers, players, and fans are all spazzos.

22. Albee

Albee Member

Dec 28, 2007
    I hate the fact that we're in this cup with a passion! I hate the fact that they think they're a season or two away from being at our level. We beat MLS teams all the time at their house and we kick their ass everytime in Mexico, the Fawking minute one of them randonly ties or beats us by miracle in some random game they start claiming we're equals or almost equals.

Their logic pisses me off.

Mexican teams can go and play a couple of Spanish teams home and away and i can guarantee we would get some results, but i know for damn sure there is some differance in money, infrastructure, talent, depth of talent, and overall skill.

I would love it if Mexican teams started using their canteras for this tourney! lol. God that would be such a beautiful slap in the face. Why should we let them use us to improve their game? Let them play their stupid ass oceana tourney or polynesian beckham tourney or whatever the hell that stupid tourney or tour was called, go ahead and ruin yourself and stay at your mediocre level, while we continue to kick ass in the Libertadores and Sudamericana and the domestic league.

Seriously FMF, send the kids to play this. That way, we still get the million and our kids get to stretch their legs.

23. Albee

Albee Member

Dec 28, 2007
    These are the garbage statemants i'm talking about...

"Last year's 'SuperLiga' proved beyond a shadow of a doubt that the best teams in the MLS can compete on an equal footing with the top clubs in Mexico, and that the great national team soccer rivalry that exists between our countries applies at the professional team level as well," says David Downs

Never mind that Mexican teams were in preseason mode and debuting 16 year olds, never mind that Mexican teams never got to play at home, no nevermind all that, apparently we're equals now.