Hanna Barbera Cup 2008

Discussion in 'Mexico: Club Cups and Competitions' started by sidspaceman, Dec 6, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. rock-star_79

rock-star_79 New Member

Nov 13, 2006
    Milwaukee
    I guess that's where I disagree with many of you, I didn't think all the MLS teams where playing bunker ball. Sure their were some but take in mind that the MLS is not as strong as the FMF so it's what you'd expect.

I think sometimes the arrogance of many FMF fans, and their dislike for USA football, quickly makes them dislike this tournament. I support both leagues (more the FMF than MLS) so I am a bit less bias than some. I do see Superliga as nothing more then a friendly to FMF teams but I enjoyed them much more then Interliga. Just my opinion as you put it. :)

Anyways this is going no where so I will drop my Interliga SPAZZING, as elvasco calls it, and beat my drum quietly. Cheers ;)

2. rock-star_79

rock-star_79 New Member

Nov 13, 2006
    Milwaukee
    Sorry double post. :(

3. Deleted USer

Deleted USer Member+

Jan 7, 2001
    That doesnt make you less bias.

The Bundisliga and Serie A have some of the most gifted and technical players in the world. Both leagues have some of the world's best coaching minds that promote and foment tactical flexibility, fluidity, and aggresive coverages, HOWEVER, those leagues are perceived by many to be unattractive from a spectator's point of view. La Liga and the Premiership are quite the contrast because the 'product' seen on the field is a bit more marketable. Whether you prefer chess or checkers is not the question.

Most regulars here are not attacking Superliga because it is a tournament played against MLS clubs. It is not about resentment towards the US. Is there resentment towards El Salvador, Costa Rica, Guatemala, etc? Playing Superliga is percieved by many like playing the Concacaf Champions Cup. The mentality is that there is nothing to gain in playing against DC United, Saprissa, Comunicaciones, Firpo, Tauro?

Superliga, in general, is being criticized because it lacks legitimacy. Its participants are invited. I found it ironic that you said the following

Disliking a tournament for those reasons are valid, but your tournaments mixed up....

Interliga's participants are chosen on merit, Superliga's participants are chosen by projected ticket sales and media coverage.

What if I were to tell you that since its inception, the Clausura Finals has had a team that has participated in Interliga?

What if I were to tell you that teams that actually send teams at full strength and use interliga as a preperation tournament have more than a 50% chance of qualifying for the upcoming season?

Most teams that participate in Interliga tend to start the season with a bit more efficiency.

What I find funny is those coaches that keep on complaining about interliga are the ones that have bad performances and those bad performances tend to carry on over to league play (Tuca, Piojo Herrera, etc)

I can not say the same about Superliga. Superliga went on 3 weeks past the start of the regular season. I fail to see how congesting the calender and forcing a team to play more double fixtures within the week is conducive to a teams progress.

I still remember attending matches at Robertson Stadium for the Copa Sears Pre-Pre Libertadores. These matches would be played in August. The actual Libertadores tournament wouldnt be played until the following year and quite frankly, it was a disaster. Team rosters would change from one season to the other and the teams performce at times would change.

With Interliga being played before the start of the actual Libertadores tournament, the same core of players can play throughout the whole season.

Is Interliga a way to exploit the Mexicans in the US? YES. I will not deny that. However, for those who have gone to exhibitions for years finally get to watch a tournament with Mexican teams that are actually playing for something---a chance to play in Copa Libertadores. Copa Libertadores helped Cuauhtemoc Blanco, Francisco Palencia, Carlos Salcido, Pavel Pardo, etc go on to be noticed and land a team in Europe.

My only problem with Interliga is that it is played virtually the day after New Years. It should be played atleast a week after New years. Removing the reclassificational matches (repechajes) would actually clear up the calender 4 weeks to have a better Interliga.

4. el-choul

el-choul Member+

Apr 17, 2006
    DC
    What's the latest on repechaje for 08-09? Is it off again? What about the long season? I thought I remembered some declaration that they were switching back to the long season in 08 or 09, in part because of the Concachampions. I can never keep the federation's decisions straight.

If Interliga is a necessary evil, another option to the long vs short season debate could be a long season with a winter recess during which Interliga can be played.

5. rock-star_79

rock-star_79 New Member

Nov 13, 2006
    Milwaukee
    In an effort to move on I will simple say good points. :)

6. Deleted USer

Deleted USer Member+

Jan 7, 2001
    According to the First Division statutes, the reclassification matches are still a go :sad:

-------------------------------------------

Interliga doesnt have to be a necessary evil. The transfer market opens which allows players to change horizons. Most leagues do return to training before the winter break ends to help those new players adapt.

If interliga didnt exist, the teams would still play exhibition matches against lower division teams (in some cases against Central and South American teams) in Cuernavaca, Ixtapa, Ixtapan de la Sal, Acapulco, Veracruz, etc

If a coach argued, "I dont want to play Interliga because I dont want my team to travel". I would respect that. If he feels that he wants his players at home, good for him.

But what I do not buy is people and coaches complaing about the teams having to go to the US for preseason, and not say a damn thing about them going to Cancun, Acapulco, Ixtapa, etc.

7. sidspaceman

sidspaceman Moderator
    Staff Member

Feb 20, 2002
    AMÉRICA DE CALI
    Club:
    America de Cali
    Nat'l Team:
    Colombia
  8. el-choul

el-choul Member+

Apr 17, 2006
    DC
    You know they were thinking let's promote the two "super-rivalries". It's going to take more than that to create a rivalry. Pachuca-Houston again?? And even I'm getting tired of the Chivas-DC United matchups.

9. sidspaceman

sidspaceman Moderator
    Staff Member

Feb 20, 2002
    AMÉRICA DE CALI
    Club:
    America de Cali
    Nat'l Team:
    Colombia
    Well that is MLS style making up fake rivalries.

10. Violationgd

Violationgd New Member

Nov 15, 2005
    Los Angeles
    Club:
    CD Chivas de Guadalajara
    Nat'l Team:
    Mexico
    This cup is embarrasing, I really hope Chivas doesn't play, or at the very least I hope they would send Chivas La Piedad.

11. el-choul

el-choul Member+

Apr 17, 2006
    DC
    You could argue last year Chivas took a "Tapatio reforzado".
    http://www.superliga2007.com/headlines/index.html?article_id=65

12. sidspaceman

sidspaceman Moderator
    Staff Member

Feb 20, 2002
    AMÉRICA DE CALI
    Club:
    America de Cali
    Nat'l Team:
    Colombia
    I just don't see why Pumas would accept the invite. Tuca bitched about having to play interliga and at least that tourney gives you a chance at the Copa Lib.

13. Chivas100

Chivas100 New Member

Nov 30, 2006
    Chicago
    Chivas should send Tapatio, like stated before. this would give them playing time against foreign teams, Tapatio would rape many in MLS. would like to see Hulk and Chicharito be our starting forwards. and give Arias a chance, though is he on loan still?

14. elvasco

elvasco 100% Americanista

Sep 10, 2006
  15. sidspaceman

sidspaceman Moderator
    Staff Member

Feb 20, 2002
    AMÉRICA DE CALI
    Club:
    America de Cali
    Nat'l Team:
    Colombia
    So no Club America and no Morelia does this mean that the tourney won't be shown in Mexico?

16. Violationgd

Violationgd New Member

Nov 15, 2005
    Los Angeles
    Club:
    CD Chivas de Guadalajara
    Nat'l Team:
    Mexico
    I remember them playing Morales and Bravo against LA galaxy. The list you gave was for the game against FC Dallas where some of our seleccionados were missing. I want us to send a team that has absolutely no regular starters. It's a second rate tourney that should serve as practice for our B team and youth.

17. DNA

DNA Member

Jul 4, 2004
    Los Angeles
    I don't exactly think its his choice, but if it is true expect to see Pumas Morelos just like we did in Interliga

18. Hecho en Chivas

Hecho en Chivas Member+

Apr 22, 2004
    Chulajuana
    Club:
    CD Chivas de Guadalajara
    Nat'l Team:
    Mexico
    yeah, i hope we send Tapatio as well. many guys who are not starters with Chivas, but play with the Sub-20 & Sub-17 NT get regular playing time in Tapatio and this so called "tournament" would be a great way to give them experience against teams from another league. it will also be a great way for Flores to see who he can move up the ranks within the team.

and like you said, with players like Hulk, Chicharito, Nava, Arias, etc. we have more quality players than most of those MLS teams combined and we should have no problem against them.

19. DGreat

DGreat Moderator
    Staff Member

CD Guadalajara
    Mexico
    Oct 5, 2007
    El Ombligo
    Club:
    CD Chivas de Guadalajara
    Nat'l Team:
    Mexico
    wow i actually feel the same way but then it just gets me mad that mls win all of the sudden the gap is close, or we are at with them. i wish chivas would of rejected the invite

20. Hecho en Chivas

Hecho en Chivas Member+

Apr 22, 2004
    Chulajuana
    Club:
    CD Chivas de Guadalajara
    Nat'l Team:
    Mexico
    i could care less about that Mickey Mouse Cup or what the stupid Spazzos think, and no way in hell the gap would close cuz it would be the MLS's so called A teams against our Cantera guys. they are not stupid enough to actually think they are at our level.

wait...scratch that, they are stupid enough to think that. but that's Spazzo logic for you.

21. DGreat

DGreat Moderator
    Staff Member

CD Guadalajara
    Mexico
    Oct 5, 2007
    El Ombligo
    Club:
    CD Chivas de Guadalajara
    Nat'l Team:
    Mexico
    same difference....damn tourney:mad:

22. sidspaceman

sidspaceman Moderator
    Staff Member

Feb 20, 2002
    AMÉRICA DE CALI
    Club:
    America de Cali
    Nat'l Team:
    Colombia
  23. Violationgd

Violationgd New Member

Nov 15, 2005
    Los Angeles
    Club:
    CD Chivas de Guadalajara
    Nat'l Team:
    Mexico
    The gap is close? What are you smoking? Did you watch the last superliga? did you see the rosters? were you paying attention to anything at all?

24. NachoNation

NachoNation Member+

Jun 19, 2005
    GOAT Puzzle
    Nat'l Team:
    Mexico
    He doesn't actually believe that. He's paraphrasing spazzo logic in his post. He's not the greatest writer but I thought it was pretty obvious.