Hamm named FIFA's 2002 POTY

Discussion in 'USA Women: News and Analysis' started by FearM9, Dec 17, 2002.

1. FearM9

FearM9 New Member

Jul 14, 2000
    On my bike
    First off don't shoot the messenger!
    :rolleyes:

http://www.fifa.com/events/playergala/MR_A/48852_E.html

Screw this! :mad: I am boycotting women's soccer until FIFA reforms the voting system for this award. WHAT A TRAVESTY!!! Women's soccer has gone back into the dark ages when cavemen killed their food with clubs and stones and had a bushy unibrow!

Who is with me on this boycott!?
    UNITE FIFA HATERS!!!!

2. lasoccervegas2002

Jul 7, 2002
    this planet
    i'm not surprise, she is still the best woman player in the world.

3. Oddball#34

Oddball#34 New Member

Mar 6, 2002
    Apex, NC
    The award should have gone to Birgit. She won everything in Europe she could win, and then came over here, and won everything she could win here. This is a freakin' joke. Mia, mia, mia. I am so sick of hearing her name. We saw who won between Mia and Birgit.

Birgit rules!! Plus she is far more personable than Mia.

Birgit got screwed.

4. Tsunami

Tsunami Member

Oct 16, 2000
    SD, CA
    Club:
    Arsenal LFC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I'd like to know how any of the European coaches could have voted for anyone but Birgit. The African, Asian, and South American coaches could at least plead ignorance. But only 11 coaches total voting her to first place? Some reform certainly needs to take place.

I cannot see, though, how anyone can blame Mia for this, or Sun. It's the ignorant (in many cases) and I don't know what (in the European's cases) that cause something like this to happen...

5. FearM9

FearM9 New Member

Jul 14, 2000
    On my bike
    Thank you M9 for pointing this out!!!

According to TVGuide.com ... at 9pm EST tonight Galavision will air the FIFA awards show. They did this last year too and showed Millie accepting Mia's award :D.

6. BrandiC63

BrandiC63 New Member

Apr 8, 2000
    Piscataway, NJ
    I could not agree with you any moe.

Down with FIFA!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! and mia, but just because im a hater!!!! AHH

7. Charge!

Charge! Member

May 7, 2001
    BSG 75
    BCS >>>>>>>>>FIFA POY vote

Seriously. College football's Bowl Championship Series, with all its flaws, is positively Einsteinian compared to this farce, this sham of a vote. Prinz should have won, and Pichon should have been nominated.

What a fscking fiasco... :rolleyes:

Paul

8. Woody-99

Woody-99 Member

Jan 19, 2002
    Germany
    The problem is, that no matter where you are, Algeria or Argentina, there's simply no access to women's soccer.
    Just because you're in Europe doesn't mean you get to see one game on Tv or even on location.
    And coaches can only judge what they see, so some seemed to be voting only for the last youth tournament they participated in. Still better than voting for someone not playing anymore ;)
    I totally agree on reforming, FIFA better changes the voting procedure

9. StarCityFan

StarCityFan BigSoccer Supporter

Aug 2, 2001
    Greenbelt, MD
    Club:
    Washington Freedom
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Here's the breakdown by national team coaches

If you look at the coaches of some of the major programs, it appears that the results would have been much more sensible:

Canada: Prinz - Riise - Macmillan
    China: Prinz - Hamm - Noom
    England: Milbrett - Pichon - Ljungberg
    France: Katia - Prinz - Mellgren
    Germany: Riise - Hamm - Sawa
    Norway: Prinz - Pichon - Fawcett
    USA: Prinz - Pichon - Riise

10. GrayHammer9317

GrayHammer9317 New Member

Apr 11, 2002
    Annandale,VA
    Can someone tape this award show for me?

Hey guys,
    I am asking a huge favor. I don't think I get Galavision so would someone be willing to tape the awards show for me? I will be willing to pay for the tape and shipping. Please let me know thank you!:) I would really appreciate if someone could tape this for me! Thanks again!:)

11. ggayle

ggayle Member

May 4, 1999
    Oaktown, CA, USA
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The Akers award goes to Fiji for voting Julie Murray 2nd.

OZZY, OZZY, OZZY!!! OY, OY, OY!!!

After reading through the coaches picks, I will say there is much more representation on the list than last year's fiasco (although this one's still bad). The knowledge curve is slowly rising. The World Cup will be the basis of the judging next year. It should be a much fairer vote...

...let me go find a tree to knock on

Guy

Wait! we have a last minute upset for the Akers award.

I just saw the Argentina vote for Akers. Fiji is now the runner-up. Too bad Fiji, you'll have to try harder next year.

12. M9fanatic

M9fanatic Member

Oct 31, 2000
    North Side.
    Well if you are gonna blame someone blame FIFA not Mia.

Having said that, hold on cause this is gonna shock you.... Yay Mia. Yeah thats right I'm a shameless Mia homer. Get over it.

Hey I have a question. When FIFA gave out the player of the century award and Akers and Sun Wen won. I don't remember any public out cry. Why not? Being the Mia homer that I am i firmly belive that if there were to be two winners it should have been Akers and Mia, not Sun. Oh but I don't remember anyone getting too upset. :rolleyes:
    (shout out Lo)

But I digress....

Mia won I'm happy.

13. M9fanatic

M9fanatic Member

Oct 31, 2000
    North Side.
    You have a gift for sarcasm my friend.

14. M9fanatic

M9fanatic Member

Oct 31, 2000
    North Side.
    Well i'm just waiting for it...

I'm waiting for that jackass Wahl and the SA numbnuts to start dumping on Mia for winning the POTY.

Then next season when she's kicking everyones ass they'll jump back on the bandwagon and kiss her ass. :rolleyes:

15. Oddball#34

Oddball#34 New Member

Mar 6, 2002
    Apex, NC
    I am not blaming Mia. I just don't think she deserved the award more than Birgit. SO what she came back from a knee injury, so did Carla, so did several other players, and had more playing time. WHo cares. Birgit won every championship she had a chance to. Birgit, overall, had the better YEAR!!!!!

Kara

16. mightymouse1011

mightymouse1011 New Member

Jun 7, 2000
    Lorrie Fair got a third place vote from Italy...

17. Bauser

Bauser Member+

Dec 23, 2000
    Norway
    Club:
    Fredrikstad FK
    The FIFA women's award is a joke. Mia won on fame not performance. It's gonna be like this next year too, the year after that, and the year after that...

Only way for her not to win the award is to break a leg and miss a full season....or may be not?

Coaches from countries where women's soccer doesn't exist (which is about 90% of all FIFA members) will still vote for Mia assuming she played.

18. lasoccervegas2002

Jul 7, 2002
    this planet
    its not about how many tournaments the player has won but how good she plays and obviously Mia Hamm is still one level above those two nominated players.

19. Oddball#34

Oddball#34 New Member

Mar 6, 2002
    Apex, NC
    It is obvious to me that Birgit, in the Founder's Cup final outplayed Mia. I was there, I should know. I am not saying Mia should not have been top three, but even Hege Riise outplayed Mia this year. So did Marinette Pichon.

20. JenM9

JenM9 Member

Oct 11, 2002
    MA
    Club:
    Boston Breakers
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    So your saying Bigrit, Pichon, and Riise out played Mia and are also not saying that Mia's should not be in the top three. How is that possible?

21. lasoccervegas2002

Jul 7, 2002
    this planet
    all these critics nothing other than make her even better player and certainly good for the team, i bet she will show everyone in china this summer why she is the FIFA player of the year ( again ).

22. Trayster

Trayster New Member

Sep 11, 2002
    Palm Coast, Florida
    First of all, why are you so upset? Aren't you a Mia fan? Your user name seems to suggest this! Second of all, welcome to the world of politics my friend. Yes, Mia Hamm may be the best soccer player to ever play the game, but you have to wonder if they went with a name rather than performance this year. Or perhaps FIFA had the same voting queries we here in the wonderful state of "Floriduh" seem to have (damn chads)!

23. FearM9

FearM9 New Member

Jul 14, 2000
    On my bike
    Re: Re: Hamm named FIFA's 2002 POTY

Next time I need to add in [sarcasm] [/sarcasm] to my rants.....

24. BB99

BB99 New Member

Jul 13, 2002
  25. Tsunami

Tsunami Member

Oct 16, 2000
    SD, CA
    Club:
    Arsenal LFC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Top 30 Coach's results

I used Ron's ranking system, and compiled the votes from just the top 30 teams (actually, just 23, since 7 of the top 30 did not bother to vote - N Korea, Australia, Ukraine, Netherlands, Taiwan, Costa Rica, and Hungary). Here are the results, listing every player who got at least a 2nd and a 3rd place vote:

Player-1sts-2nds-3rds
    Prinz-7-3-2
    Hamm-4-3-1
    Pichon-1-4-1
    Riise-1-3-1
    Milbrett-2-0-0
    Bai Jie-2-0-0
    Katia-2-0-0
    Sun Wen-1-1-0
    Lilly-1-0-0
    Meier-1-0-0 (Jennifer Meier of Germany U-19 team)
    Ramos-1-0-0 (Elodie Ramos of France U-19 team)
    Foudy-0-1-1
    Ljundberg-0-1-1
    MacMillan-0-1-1
    Mostrom-0-1-1
    Sinclair-0-1-1