Haitians Abroad

Discussion in 'Caribbean' started by SMerisier, Jul 16, 2008.

1. soccer krazy

soccer krazy Member

Nov 30, 2005
    California
  2. MetroChile

MetroChile Member+

Jan 13, 2001
    NJ; Valpo.
    Club:
    Santiago Wanderers
    Nat'l Team:
    Chile
    Didn't even know he was in Mexico. He was in Argentina before, iirc?

3. fireEagleCuauhtemoc

fireEagleCuauhtemoc www.twitter.com/alonsobueno1

Jul 23, 2007
    chicago
    Club:
    Club América
    Nat'l Team:
    Mexico
  4. soccer krazy

soccer krazy Member

Nov 30, 2005
    California
    Sony Norde found his family safe :)
    http://www.mediotiempo.com/futbol/m.../17/sony-norde-encontro-a-su-familia-con-vida

5. papito

papito New Member

May 1, 2006
    Nordé is on loan at San Luis from Boca Juniors

6. papito

papito New Member

May 1, 2006
    We lost lot of people

Haitian Football Federation says 30 dead

...Burrell's fact-finding mission reveals 20 others entombed in rubble

BY SEAN A WILLIAMS Assistant Sport Editor

Tuesday, January 19, 2010

At least 30 members of Haiti's football family have been confirmed dead in the wake of last Tuesday's catastrophic earthquake.

President of the Haitian Football Federation (HFF), Dr Jean Bart, confirmed this to Caribbean Football Union (CFU) senior vice-president, Jamaican Captain Horace Burrell, who visited the ravaged Caribbean island on Sunday on a fact-finding mission at the request of FIFA vice-president, Austin 'Jack' Warner.

BURRELL ... the most painful part of my visit was to witness three bodies of our Haitian FF colleagues in a state of partial decomposition and still pinned by heavy concrete

"President Dr Bart confirmed that at least 30 members of the football family have died, with at least 20 still buried in the rubble. He stated also that a number of committee meetings were in progress when the quake struck," Captain Burrell said yesterday.

Several senior committee members, including administrators, referees, coaches, players, medical personnel and office staff are counted among the dead, or otherwise missing throughout the capital of the French-speaking Caribbean island.

Captain Burrell, who returned to Jamaica from Haiti's capital Port-au-Prince via Santo Domingo yesterday, said a badly injured Dr Bart and other distraught members of the HFF met him on arrival at the Toussaint Louverture International Airport.

"On arrival we were met by a delegation from the Haitian federation led by an injured president Dr Bart, who was wounded with cuts and bruises all over his body," said an obviously disturbed Captain Burrell.

"It was evident from the bandages and wounds that he had a miraculous escape, but several others who were with him at a committee meeting were not so lucky and perished within seconds of the earthquake," he added. Dr Bart is believed to have been the only survivor of that meeting.

Captain Burrell said he was then taken to the area that once housed the HFF, and was shocked when told that the crumbled heap of concrete was once the three-storey secretariat building.

"Having not visited the facility before, I was shocked when I was told that there were three floors, but now it's just basically a flat mass of block and cement, trapping many who were inside the building at the time of the earthquake," he said.

"The most painful part of my visit was to witness three bodies of our Haitian FF colleagues in a state of partial decomposition and still pinned by heavy concrete," added the Jamaican, who also serves as a member of CONCACAF's Executive Committee headed by Warner.

Captain Burrell has since filed a report of his findings to the hierarchy of FIFA.

On his drive through devastated Port-au-Prince, Captain Burrell recounted ugly images of widespread death and destruction.

"Words cannot described what I have seen in Haiti. It is simply heartbreaking; there is an emptiness in this land, which must be filled soon. The country has been engulfed by a sense of hopelessness and despair," he said.

Meanwhile, FIFA vice-president and CFU boss, Warner, said yesterday that the FIFA family has rallied an initial response of almost US$1 million to go towards ongoing disaster relief efforts in the Caribbean country.

FIFA itself has committed US$250,000, while FIFA vice-president Korean Chung Moon-Jung of Hyundai motor fame has pledged US$500,000 of his own funds. Warner, meantime, held true to his promise of US$100,000, also his personal money.

"The football community stands in solidarity with Haiti. As our brothers and sisters face their darkest hour, we must let them know that they are not alone," Warner said.

With a week gone since the powerful 7.0 earthquake struck the impoverished nation, more than 100,000 people have been confirmed dead so far and this number is expected to climb in the coming days and weeks as many victims are still believed to be entombed beneath mounds of concrete.

7. MetroChile

MetroChile Member+

Jan 13, 2001
    NJ; Valpo.
    Club:
    Santiago Wanderers
    Nat'l Team:
    Chile
    I am sorry to hear that, papito. :( :(

8. papito

papito New Member

May 1, 2006
    Puerto Islanders duo safe in Haiti
    Marcelin and Noel survive devastating earthquake

USL News

Monday, January 18, 2010

TAMPA, FL – According to the front office of the Puerto Rico Islanders, Haitian USL First Division players James Marcelin and Fabrice Noel are safe following the tragic earthquake that hit the small nation of Haiti last week.

Islanders’ Noel, Marcelin also play for Haiti“We are thrilled to hear that Fabrice Noel and James Marcelin are safe,” said USL President Tim Holt. “USL has been home to numerous Haitian players over the years and our thoughts and prayers go out to all of them, their families and friends.”

“We strongly encourage our family of over 100 franchises and over 600 youth teams to all make whatever contribution they can spare in these difficult times for the Haitian community.”

The devastation left in the wake of the 7.0 magnitude earthquake that struck just outside the capital of Port-au-Prince has affected many, including former Super Y-League and current US National Team star Jozy Altidore, who is the son of Haitian immigrants.

Altidore, currently playing for Hull City in the Premiership, has been the most visible presence in the soccer community discussing his family still in Haiti as well as requesting assistance.

Additional former USL First Division players from Haiti include Ricardo Pierre-Louis, Jean-Robens Jerome, Stephane Guillaume, Leonel Saint-Preux and Gabart Fenelon. They have all represented Haiti in the past two CONCACAF Gold Cups with Saint-Preux and Noel leading Haiti to a surprise performance in July, posting a 2-2 draw against the United States.

Also with ties to Haiti are former USL-1 players Jean Alexandre, Felix Brillant, Pierre-Rudolph Mayard and Josue Mayard.

Premier Development League player Jerrod Laventure has also played for Haiti.

Future USL First Division club F.C. New York is also urging all its supporters to help the people of Haiti. The club’s marketing assistant Dukens Fede was pleased when he learned both of his grandmothers were safe, but the moment was bittersweet after finding out his cousin had died in the rubble of what was his home. Haiti is also the birthplace of club’s Super-20 midfielder Peterson Frere Petit, who hails from Cap-Haitian. The midfielder was relieved that none of his family was harmed. Intern Philippe Alexendre still waits for word on all his family members.

“We have a relationship through our philanthropic arm S.H.A.K.E. (soccer helping achieve kid’s equality) with Boby Duval and L’Athletique d’Haiti that was started in 2003 and was one of the cornerstones that created F.C. New York. I have tried to reach Boby and have not yet received a response. I hope for the best,” said club president Doug Petersen.

F.C. New York’s Jo-Ellen Treiber stated “We applaud the efforts of companies like Wal-Mart, Pepsi, General Electric, Proctor and Gamble, Nestle Waters North America and Coca Cola. As a small company we have sent a check to the American Red Cross and ask our supporters to do the same.”

To give to the Red Cross, simply text “Haiti” to 90999 and a $10 donation will be billed to your phone (standard text rates apply) or visit www.redcross.org. To donate to UNICEF, visit www.supportunicef.org.

9. papito

papito New Member

May 1, 2006
    The President of the Federation is the only survivor of the meeting at the FHF headquarter when the earthquake happened.

Many players missing, many coaches, many Club members, many Federation members.

The Coach who took our U17 Team to World Cup in 2007, Yves Phylogene Labaze is dead.

10. SCCS Coach

SCCS Coach Member

Nov 29, 2006
    First of all, my condolences to anyone from Haiti or who has friends and family there. What a sad tragedy this has been.

This is most likely a horrible time to ask questions like this, but I'm looking for the manufacturer of some kits of Haitian clubs. Specifically, this manufacturer:

[​IMG]

I'm not trying to be insensitive, but rather honor Haitian football at this difficult time. I also realize this is a little off-topic but I didn't want to drag up a very old thread. So apologies and thanks.

11. Catracho_Azul

Catracho_Azul Member+

Jun 16, 2008
    New Orleans
    Club:
    Corinthians Sao Paulo
    Nat'l Team:
    Honduras
    meeting with the Portland Timbers front office. confirmed that haitian midfielder james marcelin will be unveiled tomorrow. he was scheduled to be signed weeks ago but the team lost communication with him for several days after the earthquake.

12. papito

papito New Member

May 1, 2006
    James was in Haiti with Fabrice playing a local football tournament during the earthquake but both are back to Puertorico now.
    Noel also says he is going to leave Puertorico but he didn't say where he is going.

13. papito

papito New Member

May 1, 2006
    We are also going to get for the future games a new french born player of haitian descent, Kevin Pierre Lafrance , he just signed with Slavia Prague. 19 years old, central defender.

14. brentgoulet

brentgoulet Member+

Oct 12, 2005
    PuertoPlata, DomRep
    Tres mauvaise nouvelle,

24 year old Frantz Dy Saint Surin has died, he played with Moca in the dominican Liga Mayor de Futbol, broke his arm during a game and suffered a heart attack during the surgery afterwards,

More information in spanish can be found through www.balompiedominicano.blogspot.com

15. MetroChile

MetroChile Member+

Jan 13, 2001
    NJ; Valpo.
    Club:
    Santiago Wanderers
    Nat'l Team:
    Chile
    Sorry to hear: my condolences go out to his famly and friends. :(

16. soccer krazy

soccer krazy Member

Nov 30, 2005
    California
  17. Raj-G

Raj-G New Member

Nov 17, 2009
    Club:
    NAC Breda
    I got a question for you guys!

I asked the Fédération Haïtienne de Football why some players abroad are eligible to play for Haiti. Because Haiti does NOT allow dual citizenship and some players in your squad have a French passport/nationality.

Their answer was: "If the players can prove tie with Haitian Descendants (Passport, Birth Cirtificates) the Haitian government usually do an exception for athletes."

So players are getting a Haitian passport which ONLY is used to play matches for Haiti right? Do guys know if this exception is written down in a regulation or law?

18. papito

papito New Member

May 1, 2006
    Anyway, this doesn't matter anymore ...............................the new Government coming by May, is going to change the law and allow double citizenship.
    So................................................................

19. Raj-G

Raj-G New Member

Nov 17, 2009
    Club:
    NAC Breda
    Still I want to know how it works now. Because I want to advise your procedure to our government in Suriname, that also does not allow dual citizenship.

20. soccer krazy

soccer krazy Member

Nov 30, 2005
    California
    Sonny Norde is playing has joined mexican 2nd division team Altamira

21. Makandal

Makandal Member

Apr 21, 2007
    Cambridge, MA (USA)
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    Haiti
    I need updates on this thread. Specially in regard to Haitians playing in the US and Mexican leagues.

22. ASU55RR

ASU55RR Member+

Jul 31, 2004
    Brooklyn, NY/Brno,CZ
    Club:
    FC Zbrojovka Brno
    Nat'l Team:
    Czechia
  23. Testudo

Testudo Member+

Jan 29, 1999
    Arlington, VA