Hachim Mastour

Discussion in 'Italy: National Teams' started by Gila11, Jun 4, 2015.

1. Gila11

Gila11 Member

Dec 21, 2005
    Toronto
    Club:
    Juventus FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    I am all for people having the right to make decisions on where they wish to play, but for the love of all that is sacred, this kid chooses Morrocco over Italy. Please don't tell me it's his decision I understand that, however you have to be committing professional suicide living in a soccer power like Italy, that has moulded him and given him all the opportunity to excel. Not to mention has probably helped him and his family to a small fortune in income. Whomever has given him the advice to play for Morrocco (most certainly his parents), should give their damn heads a shake. The Boy is born and raised in Italy. Maybe the dumbest decision I have heard from a footballer in over a decade.

Rosay and Sal repped this.
  2. calabrese8

calabrese8 Member+

Feb 9, 2008
    Vancouver
    Club:
    Juventus FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    i have absolutely no problem with his decision. if i was good enough to decide between the canadian national team and la nazionale... i would not think twice.

krado33 and Deleted User x repped this.
  3. Gila11

Gila11 Member

Dec 21, 2005
    Toronto
    Club:
    Juventus FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    I wholeheartedly disagree. We are talking about Morocco here, not a country that has long lineage to success in the football world. His fan base in Italy is enormous, however with his decision I believe he has probably lost the vast majority of these fans and not to mention potential endorsements. Besides, he has most certainly gone through the Italian training and used the rich resources of coaching that was available there. Regardless, it was his choice and meaningless to how I feel about it. Good luck to him, he will need it.

4. el napulitan

el napulitan Member+

Sep 28, 2008
    < @sals mom crew >
    Club:
    SSC Napoli
    Career wise it is a huge mistake, but he clearly only chose with his heart. every italian i know born in england, even ones that have one english parent. all would choose to play for italy as its the team they support, so i cant blame this kid

La Magica repped this.
  5. AmericanKaka

AmericanKaka Member+

Dec 30, 2006
    It's a just a fact of a globalized world, it only becomes a problem when guys are total mercenaries about it (hello, Costa, karma's a bitch, ain't it?) or act like complete dicks toward their actual home countries after opting for their ancestral country (hello, Rossi, karma's a bitch, ain't it?).

If Mastour scores a goal against Italy at some point and does an over-the-top celebration (really, he shouldn't celebrate at all beyond a restrained fist-pump at most), then he'd go straight on my douchebag list.

6. vincep5

vincep5 Member

Jun 19, 2005
    Wow I'm bummed. He was definitely on the Italian U-17 U-18 U-21 radar next. If he feels Moroccan then why play for the Italy U-16? I think it's a revenge decision for not making the last U-17 tournament. Let's hope he doesn't become the next messi

7. Baggionero

Baggionero Member+

Apr 23, 2015
    Club:
    Juventus FC
    I'm just pissed because he used all the Italian resources, was in an Italian youth set up and most definitely would have played for the U-19 and U-21 teams alongside playing for Milan all at once. It's a dumb decision. He'll never win anything with Morocco.

el napulitan and Rosay repped this.
  8. Deleted User x

Deleted User x Member+

Mar 21, 2006
    Morocco did better than Italy in the last WC. Also he could have a chance at the African Cup.

I'm sure his fan base in Morocco dwarfs that.

9. calabrese8

calabrese8 Member+

Feb 9, 2008
    Vancouver
    Club:
    Juventus FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    Why is this even an issue. I'd be pissed if he was Moroccan, grew up in Italy then decided to play for Spain. But to play for Morocco. Good for him.

10. Daei_10

Daei_10 Member+

Aug 22, 2007
    LA, California
    Club:
    Juventus FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    maybe he feels more Moroccan. Depending on how his parents raised him and the connection he has to his family and the old country, maybe he has a soft spot for them. Just because you're born and raised in one country, it doesnt mean you can forget about the old one. Some immigrant parents make sure their kids learn their own culture as well. I can understand the Italian frustration because he did grow up in the system but when it comes to choosing which country to play for, no one has the right to tell someone who to choose. You follow your heart.

btw, i believe the rule is you have to play for the senior team to be disallowed from ever switching...if he stays in their u-21 system, he can switch to Italy for the senior side lol

11. afar

afar Member+

Apr 26, 2007
    I think he has already played an official game for the senior Morocco NT. He cannot switch anymore.

12. Gila11

Gila11 Member

Dec 21, 2005
    Toronto
    Club:
    Juventus FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    All in the eye of the beholder. You can't put the 2 nations in the same argument when it comes to results in any kind of historical measure.

I don't know to me it seems like a political decision and I would not be upset if the Italian fans give him the horns from here on. Maybe that's just the competitor in me. I'm of the opinion that he took from the hand and bit, sorry. Irritated.

13. Gila11

Gila11 Member

Dec 21, 2005
    Toronto
    Club:
    Juventus FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    Rossi's decision could also be construed tactical as Italy is the far more advanced nation in the sport, whereas Morrocco is well...

14. Scotty

Scotty Member+

Dec 15, 1999
    Toscana
    I'm sure the level of competition for a starting place also influenced his decision.

If his form drops just a bit then his place on the Italy team is going to be in jeopardy (even if this particular moment isn't the greatest as regards Italian strikers). But he can almost count on getting a lot more caps with Morocco by comparison.

Just look at Rossi. Had he chosen the USA he very well could have played in two World Cups by now. But with the Azzurri he's still waiting...

15. Pietro Calcio

Pietro Calcio Member+

Jul 28, 2007
    Club:
    AS Roma
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    sadly most internationals don't make their decision by following their hearts....For many it's just about strategy and this mentality is what has lead us up to the "mercenary era " of international football, especially in a globalized pro foreign labor european environment.

Deleted User x repped this.
  16. Daei_10

Daei_10 Member+

Aug 22, 2007
    LA, California
    Club:
    Juventus FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    great example, even an accomplished player like Rossi has taken a back seat to buncha other average italian strikers...hachim hasnt even started his senior career.

17. Scotty

Scotty Member+

Dec 15, 1999
    Toscana
    Precisely.

And Mastour has a much better chance of becoming "The Man" for Morroco than he ever would have with Italy.

18. Deleted User x

Deleted User x Member+

Mar 21, 2006
    With Rossi it was due to injuries though. In WC 2010 he was healthy but Lippi decided not to pick him and it proved to be another of his many mistakes that tournament. WC 2014 Rossi was at Coverciano but didn't make the final cut due to injury. I forget about EC 2012. But he was always injured.
    But I do get what you guys are saying. The depth of Italy is far greater than Morocco.

19. Calcio Pauly

Calcio Pauly Member+

Jun 17, 2012
    Club:
    AC Milan
    If that were his motivation then he'd clearly be afraid of competition, which makes him mentally weak. I'm sure he just felt more Moroccan. Whatever... Screw him :p

20. Scotty

Scotty Member+

Dec 15, 1999
    Toscana
    You could also call it being pragmatic about which country would offer him a better chance of a long and fruitful international career. Those things can factor into a decision as well.

21. Calcio Pauly

Calcio Pauly Member+

Jun 17, 2012
    Club:
    AC Milan
    Long? Possibly. At this point we don't know whether he'll truly be the real deal or another hyped up Giovinco. Either way, he's made his decision. He's said he feels more Moroccan, so and well, fck him :D

22. Scotty

Scotty Member+

Dec 15, 1999
    Toscana
    Keep in mind, I said a chance of a long international career...

Calcio Pauly repped this.
  23. Scotty

Scotty Member+

Dec 15, 1999
    Toscana