Guardian 25 Stunning World Cup Moments

Discussion in 'FIFA and Tournaments' started by Hideo, Feb 18, 2014.

1. Pipiolo

Pipiolo Member+

Jul 19, 2008
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
    Perhaps. But Italy loses Orsi and Monti (who play for Argentina instead), and that may well tip the scale for them, despite the 12th man Mussolini.

2. comme

comme Moderator
    Staff Member

Feb 21, 2003
    It's worth pointing out that this isn't intended to be the top moments in any sort of order.

It's just a way to have 25 different articles up in the build up to the tournament.

3. FanVideo

FanVideo Member

Apr 26, 2014
    If you write about "25 stunning world cup moments", one would expect you to put there the top 25 stunning moments, or at least something close.
    Then again, I guess this is subjective. And of course the Guardian are writing first of all for an english, or maybe british, audience. So, whatever, as long as it's a good read for them.

4. El Chuma

El Chuma BigSoccer Supporter

Sep 17, 2005
    San Diego
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I did not know the usa had been hacked so bad in the semis

5. ihatewaiting4years

Apr 29, 2014
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Argentina was far superior that game. Even if you take away the illegal hand of god goal, Argentina still would have won. There's no denying the amazing goal of the century. England did nothing the entire game.

6. Hideo

Hideo Member

Newcastle United and Shimizu S-Pulse
    Apr 30, 2010
    Newcastle upon Tyne
    Nat'l Team:
    England
  7. Hideo

Hideo Member

Apr 30, 2010
    Newcastle upon Tyne
    Nat'l Team:
    England
  8. comme

comme Moderator
    Staff Member

Feb 21, 2003
    Hideo repped this.
  9. FanVideo

FanVideo Member

Apr 26, 2014
    This absolutely has no place here. Nothing stunning, just a thrashing of a minor team by another not very good one (Hungary didn't advance themselves from the group).

I guess they'll have to write about the QF group of death and particularly about Brazil - Italy. :) I'll hold my comments until then.

Pipiolo repped this.
  10. Hideo

Hideo Member

Apr 30, 2010
    Newcastle upon Tyne
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    Well it seems these are causing a few disagreements - it's all very subjective of course, but they aren't claiming this to be a series of the biggest moments or the most significant. "Stunning" has perhaps overplayed it somewhat, but in my view it's a series of really fine, interesting articles adding depth to stories I already knew something about, and giving insight into events I knew next to nothing about. It is of course a British newspaper, so the view of things is naturally swayed because of that, but the stories haven't dwelt too often on England, or Scotland for that matter.

Anyway - the next is one I remember vividly from Italia '90. Frank Rijkaard's moments of shame with Rudi Voller in their second round match.

http://www.theguardian.com/football/blog/2014/may/22/25-stunning-world-cup-moments-

11. Pipiolo

Pipiolo Member+

Jul 19, 2008
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
    Voeller was asking for a spitting, not for his provoking behavior, but for his permed mullet and awful mustache :eek:

12. Hideo

Hideo Member

Apr 30, 2010
    Newcastle upon Tyne
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    A fair point, well made!

13. Hideo

Hideo Member

Apr 30, 2010
    Newcastle upon Tyne
    Nat'l Team:
    England
  14. Pipiolo

Pipiolo Member+

Jul 19, 2008
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
    After Kahn fouled Del Piero in Euro96, being the last man on defense a potential red card but the referee didn't even warn him although he called the pk that Kahn then saved, World Soccer magazine wrote: "The indelible German goalkeeper right to stay on the match no matter what kind of foul they commit." An obvious reference to the Schumacher incident.

A heart-breaking elimination for the team that played the better football that day. Had Germany been reduced to ten men, I don't see them surviving the extra time.

15. J'can

J'can Member+

Jul 3, 2007
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    you know, i was thinking about that game the other day and unless my memory is shot and i am misremembering things, England had two chances late late in the game when John Barnes came on. if my memory is right he had two crosses from the by line that Lineker converted one. Now had Lineker done the businesses both times we could have been having a very different conversation had the HOG been caught.

Now this is taking some assumptions on my part as we know the game is not linear ie HOG disallowed, Linker scores late 1-1 etc etc. Arg certainly could have scored other chances in my what if scenarios. but what i am getting at is the highlighted comment above.

had the HOG been taking away there is no certainty that Arg would have won. As it as stands it was a lot closer than it should have been with Lineker missing a good opportunity to tie it up.

16. ihatewaiting4years

Apr 29, 2014
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    You're right. I take back my statement. Would have been an interesting ending. I think Argentina still would have won though

17. J'can

J'can Member+

Jul 3, 2007
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    let me put it this way, Argentina should have won (and they did) As I said if we play the "what if" game, we can say that if Lineker scored both then.... but we have to be fair to both sides so we would have to say as well if argentina scored theirs then....

the only thing i can say with certainty about england's chances of winning was that Lineker missed one of 2 great chances.

I will surmise though that had he scored both and the game was tied at that point, the statement that argentina would stil have won would have to be tempered a bit. there would have been a huge lift to the england team and a relative drop to the argies. that cannot be discounted. at that point if lineker scored it would have been a 50-50 game at that point. England would have the same chance to win as Argentina.

at any other point in the game Argentina had the better chance to win at least 60 - 65%

18. Rickdog

Rickdog Member+

Jun 16, 2010
    Santiago, Chile
    Club:
    CD Colo Colo
    Nat'l Team:
    Chile
    In the "what if-game", we can also think what would have happened "if" from the begining of the game the referee would've been less benevolent with the english players and would've started showing cards at them, very likely that England would have ended with 2 or 3 players down, and with that number advantage, Argentina would've thrashed them and the HOG wouldn't have been necessary. Maybe even Lineker wouldn't have had any of those 2 chances to score, as England would be in a very bad position to attack and defend at the same time, with 2 less players than their opponents.

"what if-games" give a lot of space for anything to happen .....

19. J'can

J'can Member+

Jul 3, 2007
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    no doubt, that is why i said we have to be fair on both sides. although you have to look at it through 1986 eyes and not todays eyes. a lot of things were allowed back then and arg certainly could have reciprocated.

i think the better team won. i was just pointing out that the theory that arg was vastly superior while true meant little in the end as those two chances (one of which was converted) showed. the legend that was Maradona was partly forged by the lineker miss. had he scored, the HOG would have just been a missed call instead of the folklore it is today.

20. Pipiolo

Pipiolo Member+

Jul 19, 2008
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
    Maradona would still have won it at 2-2, like Rossi did for Italy in WC82 after Brazil had drew level once again. Also, Argentina had an even closer miss than Lineker's header (which was not a miss proper but a clearance by the defender), when Tapia's cannon shot hit the post and bounced off when it seemed more likely the ball would bounce in.

But the fact that both Lineker's diving header and Tapia's strike did not go in just shows that it was meant to be all about Maradona. Special players tend to make themselves the protagonist of such narratives.

21. FanVideo

FanVideo Member

Apr 26, 2014
    I don't know about that. How do you know what's allowed and what's just ref error ?
    The best example I can think of, Tassotti vs. Enrique 94. The ref did nothing about it, then FIFA banned Tassotti for 8 games based on video. So it happens. You can say the incident was gruesome, but then the penalty was also harsh. And that's exactly why they stepped in, otherwise for less severe fouls they just let it happen, even though it isn't what the ref was supposed to do. And in other similar situations other refs or maybe even the same ref can make a different decision.
    Problem is, everything is horribly fuzzy in football. Today as back then.
    I can only say that I watched the game recently and IMO there was an elbow in the face of Maradona that warranted a clear straight red. By the standards of that time. Which makes all discussion about the HOG rather moot.

That's a bit twisted. So you admit Argentina was indeed vastly superior then you say it meant little.
    It doesn't happen this way. If one team is really superior, as Argentina no doubt was, they rally when they have to and win it in the end. (They did this exact thing with Germany, who probably were a bit better than England anyway.) And when they are 2 up they usually slow down and let the other team play a bit, and maybe even score once. Sure, surprises happen, and they say 2 - 0 is a tricky score for a reason. But very likely it wouldn't have happened even if the english hadn't missed that chance.

Pipiolo repped this.
  22. J'can

J'can Member+

Jul 3, 2007
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Huge assumption (which we will never know the answer to) but I agree with your sentiment in that special players of this type (attacking) tend to make things happen somehow. Good point on the Argies chances as well. Funny how the memory works, I remembered the England chances well but some how blocked out that Argentina had their team on the field too :)

The HOG can never be moot as you cant use one rule violation to justify the other. If you want to say ( and I would not dare disagree) that multiple red cards should have been given, then fine. The HOG goal should not have stood and I dont think even you can disagree with that.

Your comment bolded: Let me try to rephrase - Argentina was superior and in the end it almost didnt matter as England had good chances at the end to tie it up. From there it would have been a 50-50 proposition.

Note that if Maradona was not playing for Argentina, I would say the entire momentum remained with England. But Argentina would have an equal shot at winning not becasue they were superior but becasue the had maradona (who made them superior) i am not sure if I am making that point well hopefully you get what I am saying. Put antoher way, England had a decent chance of winning the game had it gone to extra time (I am not saying that England had the better chance just that psychologically they had a bit of a pep in their step)

23. Hideo

Hideo Member

Apr 30, 2010
    Newcastle upon Tyne
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    Well if the Hand of God is still causing disagreement then I expect this one will as well!
    2002. Second Round. Italy v. South Korea.
    http://www.theguardian.com/football/2014/jun/01/world-cup-25-stunning-moments-italy-south-korea

To put in my tuppence worth of the conspiracy theories...I think that while Italy were on the receiving end of some bad decisions (Totti red card, goal ruled out for offside) they were the victims of incompetence rather than anything else. If it was a fix as many have alleged (often based on the referee's subsequent drug smuggling as somehow proving that he was corrupt all along) then just how did the referee, or FIFA, make Christian Vieiri miss an open goal in the last minute of normal time. This was a few minutes after Korea's late equaliser and obviously well before any golden goal. Score then and it would all have been over.

Likewise, was it the referre who caused Christian Panucci to fluff his clearance, thus gifting the equaliser to Korea, albeit with a well taken shot. Defend properly and Korea would have been beaten.

Italy were hard done by yes, but really had only themselves to blame for losing.

Spain, on the other hand, were denied a clearly legitimate goal in their quarter final with South Korea. But again surely this is just rank incompetence. A by product of FIFA's insistence on using officials from all corners of the globe in some of the biggest matches - officials who have limited experience of such big occasions and simply were out of their depth.

It's also interesting to me that when a "big" nation suffers at refereeing incompetence and the "smaller" nation benefits, then it must be a fix and a conspiracy. When it is the other way around it is brushed off as being one of those things, and part of the game.

Of course the conspiracy theories will abound - particularly since Italy were involved. A nation that knows a thing or two about corruption in football. I have to say I find it quite funny how bitter the Italians got about their latest Korean embarrassment.

Pipiolo repped this.
  24. J'can

J'can Member+

Jul 3, 2007
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    TBH I am not even sure what the heck i was arguing for or against with these guys.:D

Good thread BTW

Pipiolo repped this.
  25. FanVideo

FanVideo Member

Apr 26, 2014
    Of course it shouldn't have stood. But an english player should have been out by then, which would have almost certainly rendered the HOG unnecessary. So the HOG is definitely not that big a deal as the english make it to be.

It wouldn't have been 50-50 as we agree Argentina were superior.

Not a bit. :)

This is a bit clearer. You mean they would have had a better than normal chance because psychologically they had the upper hand being the ones who just equalised. I don't think so. This usually works for more or less equal teams, but Argentina were better. If you just say they'd have had a decent chance, then fine, it's hard to argue against that. I'll just say then that Argentina still would have had the better chance and you'll probably agree and everybody is happy. :)

Anyway, the main point is that the officiating on the whole wasn't against England, considering the red card they were spared. And that with 100% good officiating, as far as we can know Argentina very likely still would have won.

Pipiolo repped this.