Guadeloupe's Thread

Discussion in 'Gold Cup' started by soccer krazy, Jun 18, 2007.

1. Gwada United

Gwada United New Member

Jun 18, 2007
    Miami
    It's this one !!!
    The 2 other ones are French related. And on the link I sent earlier you can liten to the Guadeloupe (Gwada) anthem by clickling on the player ;)

2. Gwada United

Gwada United New Member

Jun 18, 2007
    Miami
    Exactly!

3. GIO17

GIO17 Member

Nov 29, 1998
    Gwada United. Can you help me out for a minute please. CONCACAF has 39 Nations, but FIFA only recongnizes 35. Guadeloupe, French Guyana, Martinique, Saint-Martin & this other place called Sint Maarten.

I just saw Martinique's flag has just changed to France's flag. Did France take over that island as well, & how was that possible? I believed they were in World Cup Qualifying the last time around during the Caribbean Zone qualifiers.

Anyways please inform us how this was possible if you can.

4. The Mighty Frog

The Mighty Frog New Member

Apr 27, 2007
    Somewhere

Martinique did not play in WC qualifying
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2006_FIFA_World_Cup_qualification_(CONCACAF)

They're not eligible to enter the FIFA World Cup
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Martinique_national_football_team

Sint Maarten isn't a french territory. It's a dutch one.

5. Gwada United

Gwada United New Member

Jun 18, 2007
    Miami
    Yeah GIO17, that's quite ironic but little by little our (Guadeloupe and Martinique) flags are replaced by the French flag on some "official" websites where we were once represented by our own flag (the CIA.GOV factbook website is a good example) ... I guess it's probably a political decision as Big Brother's probably watching...

Anyways, Martinique and Guadeloupe share exactly the same political status and far as our relationship with France is concerned. The same goes for French Guyana, and Saint-Martin (which is "officially" part of Guadeloupe although both islands have almost nothing in common ... Another French decision). As for Sint-Maarten (which is basically the dutch side of Saint-Martin), They are governed by the dutch I believe, with a "special" status... Even if the locals all speak English.

While trying to explain the whole thing, I truly understand your confusion :)

6. GIO17

GIO17 Member

Nov 29, 1998
    Gwada United & The Mighty Frog. Thank you both for clearing that up with me. I was curious to know why this was so. Once again, thank you.

7. The Mighty Frog

The Mighty Frog New Member

Apr 27, 2007
    Somewhere
    You're welcome :)

8. Gwada United

Gwada United New Member

Jun 18, 2007
    Miami
    No doubt! ;)
    anytime I can talk and educate about Gwada, it's my pleasure! That island as a whole definitely deserves more attention that it gets (without getting patriotic :cool:)