Gu Ja-cheol @ VfL Wolfsburg 2011-2012 Part 2 [R]

Discussion in 'Korean Players Abroad' started by Sergei Mantis, May 8, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Hodori

Hodori Member+

Aug 12, 2010
    KJC has consistently been one of our top performers in every match.

2. Hodori

Hodori Member+

Aug 12, 2010
    Btw, just read this morning that it's his grandfather who was the war hero (and not his father). That's why he qualifies for the modified/reduced military service obligation.

3. CoreaBafana

CoreaBafana Member

Apr 25, 2010
    Club:
    Cerro Porteno
    Riquelme was not a phenomenal international success, but hardly a failure. Also, generalizations like a certain style is effective in one continent but not in another is not valid. Each game and each tournament is different.

97' Riquelme captained the U20 team to the FIFA U20 World Cup
    2006 WC in Germany, he delivered the cross that scored the only Argentinian goal to tie 1-1 vs Germany (he played in all three group matches).
    2008 Beijing Olympics: Riquelme was selected as one of the three overage players for the Argentinian team -- how did they finish?

Unless H knows something the Argentinians don't, they seem to not have trouble selecting him for international tournaments.

4. Corporation X

Corporation X Member+

Sep 9, 2009
    Suckmydickastan
    After being excluded from the 2010 WC squad he's finished.

5. CoreaBafana

CoreaBafana Member

Apr 25, 2010
    Club:
    Cerro Porteno
    With this part I agree.

6. BENJMNS

BENJMNS Member+

Jun 8, 2009
    Club:
    --other--
    Nat'l Team:
    Korea Republic
    Agreed. Didn't say he wasn't a solid performer. He needs to score.

7. Hodori

Hodori Member+

Aug 12, 2010
    Are you trying to tell me that Riquelme wasn't a massive disappointment for Argentina?

He was supposed to be the trequartista that led to them to glory. What did he end up doing? He ended up as Argentina's LDG.

2006 WC, they should have won that tournament. What does he do after they crashed out? Quits.

Barca - he could have been Maradona reincarnate. What does he do? Gets replaced by Ronaldinho.

Beijing Olympics - that was more about the generation of Messi, Kun Aguero and Lavezzi than it was about Riquelme. They could have won that tournament with Gago, Banega and Mascherano exclusively in the midfield.

2010 WC - crickets....

Someone who was supposed to be the next great trequartista was in the end an utter disappointment outside his beloved boca. Are you seriously trying to argue otherwise???

8. Hodori

Hodori Member+

Aug 12, 2010
    He will. Keep the faith. He's got goals in him in abundance like in the U-19 WC, 2010 Asiad, at the 2011 Asian Cup and last season at his club. The goals will come.

BENJMNS repped this.
  9. BENJMNS

BENJMNS Member+

Jun 8, 2009
    Club:
    --other--
    Nat'l Team:
    Korea Republic
    any of you guys know the story behind Koo's mom? did she pass away at an early age?

10. Chingoo

Chingoo Member+

Feb 10, 2010
    Pretty sure she's alive

11. Jitevra

Jitevra Member+

Apr 15, 2010
    Club:
    Ulsan Horang I
    Nat'l Team:
    Korea Republic
    But they divorced, so Koo Ja-Cheol and his brother lived with his dad all the time.

12. BENJMNS

BENJMNS Member+

Jun 8, 2009
    Club:
    --other--
    Nat'l Team:
    Korea Republic
    wonder why they didn't live w/ mom.

13. Sons of Thunder

Sons of Thunder Member+

Jun 27, 2009
    NY State of Mind
    Club:
    --other--
    Nat'l Team:
    Korea Republic
    He's done everything but. I always liked Koo but for some reason never really rated him. Even with all his goals at the AC last year. Maybe it's because I hadn't seen a Korean coach utilizing him properly until now. He has been outstanding in this tourney.

olijolly repped this.
  14. olijolly

olijolly Member+

Aug 30, 2009
    Club:
    Suwon Bluewings
    Nat'l Team:
    Korea Republic
    Same here. He's been absolutely vital for HMB's tactics this tournament. Not only does he harass every opposing player on the opposite side of the field, he also keeps the ball so well. I'm not impressed with his eagerness to score but the pressure must be getting to him.

15. BENJMNS

BENJMNS Member+

Jun 8, 2009
    Club:
    --other--
    Nat'l Team:
    Korea Republic
    u know what they say. defense wins championships and what koo and ki are able to do as commanders of the midfield is DEFEND (watching the gb match yet again on my dvr). then you got speedy energy bunnies NTH nipping at the heels on the right wing along with a composed backline and here we are in the semis.

my point is, what i want to see outta KJC is to maximize these very few chances in life to catapult yourself to the next level. if he wants a top table EPL/La liga job, then he needs to score one or two wonder goals the rest of this olympics + everything else he's been doing. beating brz just gets him yet another chance. yes, a tall order, but that's what's necessary in order for him to begin to get a chance at elite via shortest route possible.

there are degrees of success and my personal aspiration as a knt fan is a maxed out scenario. KJC's dream is to play at chelsea/barca. he's got a shot at making an impression and these opptys don't come around too often. the semis+ is that big stage served up on an old trafford platter.

KJC FIGHTING!

yahtrickyah repped this.
  16. nmssis

nmssis Member+

May 21, 2011
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    not sure if that's his main assignment. but he backs down to no one and the way he kept the ball and looked down pitch...he's doing more than i expected

17. Chingoo

Chingoo Member+

Feb 10, 2010
    If we're okay with PCY not scoring goals, then Koo should be given a break as well. Both players need to be capitalizing on their golden chances from here on out, though.

18. yahtrickyah

yahtrickyah Member

Jan 21, 2011
    Nat'l Team:
    Korea Republic
    From what I've seen from him, I think he has one of the highests ceilings out of our NT.

19. BENJMNS

BENJMNS Member+

Jun 8, 2009
    Club:
    --other--
    Nat'l Team:
    Korea Republic
    maybe i'm just not communicating well enough. he's doing fine. but i almost expect more from him esp if he himself has his sights set on a global brand team. to get them interested, he needs to score some goals this olympics.

pcy has nothing to do with kjc's future. pcy has hit his peak. he's not going to get much better if at all. he's good enough for arsenal just that he hasn't had a lucky break since. he'll get thru it. i love the dude as a player and standout character.

20. Hodori

Hodori Member+

Aug 12, 2010
    But KJC is already at Wolfsburg... They are VW.

Wolfsburg are investing in him by giving him plenty of playing time this season out on loan so that he can come back to his home club to be one of their main midfielders.

21. BENJMNS

BENJMNS Member+

Jun 8, 2009
    Club:
    --other--
    Nat'l Team:
    Korea Republic
    c'mon man c'mon. kjc himself stated he as aspirations to play for much wealthier clubs. if wolfsburg is the final destination, i think many of us would be disappointed esp with his form in london. him included

22. Chingoo

Chingoo Member+

Feb 10, 2010
    Let's see how things pan out for KJC and augsburg this upcoming season. If he does well, I don't see why Chelski wouldn't come knocking.

23. Hodori

Hodori Member+

Aug 12, 2010
    You don't get much wealthier than being Volkswagen's club. They're league contenders and will play in the champions league regularly again once they settle down their managerial craziness.

He's in a much better position than any other KPAs club-wise imo. I'd rather he doesn't transfer out of Wolfsburg for awhile.

Mudang repped this.
  24. BENJMNS

BENJMNS Member+

Jun 8, 2009
    Club:
    --other--
    Nat'l Team:
    Korea Republic
    vw's not in the business of running football clubs. they're in the business of becoming the biggest automaker in the world and staying there. they're probably burning the midnight oil trying to figure out how to expand the porsche line-up without pissing off its loyal 911 owners. creating efficiencies by sharing components between audi/vw/porsche while still maintaing brand distinction. football club b is a national hobby for them.

my point has nothing to do with him getting out of his current club situation. like u said he's still plying his trade, adding to his toolkit, raising his value. a player's career is fleeting, time's a wastin. let's accelerate the process to get him best positioned to achieve his dreams and to do this, a couple of goals and team success here and now will do wonders for his career/confidence.

if he doesn't then par for the course. i say we could use some birdies.

25. Hodori

Hodori Member+

Aug 12, 2010
    Sorry but I have to disagree with you. Bayer and VW are the only two conglomerates that are allowed majority ownership in the Bundesliga.

VW gives the football club board a virtual blank check each season... Just think of the crazy spending sprees Magath went on last season with their board's approval. I think you're underestimating how big of a club they are and the amount of money they spend on transfers b/c of the craziness of the last three seasons that have left them mid-table.