Group H - 2018 FIFA WCQ – AFC Second Round

Discussion in 'AFC: Tournaments' started by Suren01, Jun 7, 2015.

1. E_ViLL14

E_ViLL14 Member

Jul 6, 2010
    I'm sorry but that just sounds cheap! It smacks of an attempt to deflect attention away from a bad, possibly embarrassing loss! Yes, it's still a young program but it shouldn't take away the fact that Dooley is guilty of poor decisions/management on a game to game basis in this campaign specifically starting from the loss to Uzbekistan. In fact this new system alone which he implemented at the start of the year is questionable to say the least.

For the loss against Yemen, the Philippines should have won plain and simple, but I also can't say that I'm surprised that they didn't.

2. Pelefan

Pelefan Member+

Mar 17, 1999
    Chicago
    Yes I agree they should have won this game, but you also have to consider the fact that the team hasn't had time to practice with each other. The players based abroad just planed in from half way around the world a few days prior to this game and the local players have not been playing since the UFL season finished 2 months ago. There were no friendlies scheduled for the past few months so except for a few days of practice prior to this game, their preparation has been pretty limited. They just didn't looked as sharp as they did a few months ago. Because of his other commitments, the general manager Palami, doesn't seem to be as committed to this team as he used to be as well. I am not excusing Dooley for not winning this game especially since they played at home and was the clear favorite, but there were other factors to consider.

3. Diego Aguirre

Diego Aguirre Member+

Oct 4, 2015
    Tashkent
    Nat'l Team:
    Uzbekistan
    they have a chance to be among best runner-ups, but it's nearly impossible to be first in the group for koreans, as Uzbekistan still have a match in reserve

4. Diego Aguirre

Diego Aguirre Member+

Oct 4, 2015
    Tashkent
    Nat'l Team:
    Uzbekistan
  5. Minnows-lover

Minnows-lover Member

Sep 6, 2015
    Club:
    --other--
    As usual no news from Pyongyang...

6. TheShowStealer

Jan 15, 2011
    North Korea - Bahrain
    2 0

7. glennaldo_sf

glennaldo_sf Member+

Houston Dynamo, Penang FC, Al Duhail
    United States
    Nov 25, 2004
    Doha, Qatar
    Club:
    FL Fart Vang Hedmark
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    [​IMG]

Went to Yemen vs. Uzbekistan... the Uzbeks looked good for about an hour but after taking a three goal lead and with results against Yemen probably not counting anyway, they pretty much took their feet off the pedal for the rest of the game to ease to a 3-1 win. Was pretty lucky to score a ticket to this one, as you can tell it was obviously a sell out.

Finely poised for Uzbekistan and North Korea to battle it out for top spot in the closing rounds, but really bummed though now we have to wait all the way until March to know how this group ends :-(

8. sokorny

sokorny Member

Nov 6, 2014
    Westerm Australia
    Club:
    Perth Glory
    Nat'l Team:
    Australia
    At least the pitch looks half decent. The GK appears to be practicing for limbo.

Agree about having to wait until next year for the group finalisations, going to be a long three years of qualifications!

9. Pelefan

Pelefan Member+

Mar 17, 1999
    Chicago
    Postgame Comments by Coach Babayan of Uzbekistan after their 1-0 win on 3/24/16:

UZB coach Samvel Babayan: It was a difficult match. The Philippines has a good future. Their goalkeeper is a hero today.
    Babayan: GK was the reason why we didn't score many goals. Philippines plays at a high level maybe same level as DPR Korea.
    Babayan: Philippines is a quality team that's why we had a full stadium. My players respect them especially the goallkeeper.

Comments by Philippine goalkeeper Neil Etheridge who was attracting a lot of attention from the Uzbek press

Neil Etheridge: I felt we deserved a point from this match

Neil Etheridge: I think we can take a lot of positive from this match.

Woodland

Luke Woodland: We didn't expect to go down 10 men after 9 mins but I think we coped really well.

Woodland: Second half was tough but we will take positives out of this game and push on vs North Korea in Manila.

10. +PL+

+PL+ Member+

Jun 22, 2015
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    What did happen to Misagh Bahadoran? I didn't see him on Philippines squad!

11. Pelefan

Pelefan Member+

Mar 17, 1999
    Chicago
    Misagh had to sit out this game due to yellow card accumulation. I think he will be back on the bench for the North Korea game on Tuesday.

12. jonny63

jonny63 Member+

Feb 17, 2005
    Norway
    GROUP H
    [​IMG]
    29 March: Philippines v DPR Korea, Uzbekistan v Bahrain

[​IMG]

In arguably the most keenly-contested group, all four sides in action on Tuesday have something to play.

Uzbekistan lead the way and a victory over Bahrain would almost be enough to see them through, although their opponents are also fighting to maintain their two-point lead in third spot.

An Uzbekistan slip-up would open the door of DPR Korea to pip them to first place with a victory in Manila, but Philippines will be no pushovers as they hunt for the win that could be enough to send them automatically through to the third round of Asian Cup qualifying.

http://www.the-afc.com/asian-cup-20...sia-2018uae-2019-qualifiers-md10-a-look-ahead

13. glennaldo_sf

glennaldo_sf Member+

Houston Dynamo, Penang FC, Al Duhail
    United States
    Nov 25, 2004
    Doha, Qatar
    Club:
    FL Fart Vang Hedmark
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Pretty sure that photo was taken at Al Sadd Stadium here in Qatar back in March, 2013... was sitting just a couple or rows back lol and got this photo of the same guys....

[​IMG]

14. Pelefan

Pelefan Member+

Mar 17, 1999
    Chicago
    #139 Pelefan, Mar 28, 2016
    Last edited: Mar 28, 2016
    Apparently both North Korea and the Philippines are planning to be going for a win this match. I don't think this game is going to end up in a draw either way. North Korea especially is desperate for a win in order to have any chance of advancing to the next round of the WC qualifiers. They arrived earlier than the Philippines in Manila, as they had a bye in the last match, in order to acclimatize to the climate.

“The Azkals are a very promising team…but we came here to win,” said North Korea coach Kim Chang Bok, whose team aims to supplant Uzbekistan from the top of the five-team standings, entailing automatic entry to the third round of the World Cup qualifiers.

The Philippines also wants to end the group stage with a win at home and with the 3rd rd of the AC qualifiers more or less assured, will try to build on their past performances by playing attacking football according to Dooley. Hopefully they can pull it off even without their best player Schrock and striker Phil Younghusband who are both injured.

15. Pelefan

Pelefan Member+

Mar 17, 1999
    Chicago
    Just found out that the Philippines won 3-2 over North Korea in an upset.Both teams were going for a win tonight, and after achieving a 0-0 draw away in N Korea, the Azkals wanted to win this won at home to finish group play with a flourish. Happy to hear they accomplished their goal. They did this without fear and playing attacking football all the way. Next up more upsets in AC qualifying 3rd round play.