Group C Predictions

Discussion in 'GROUP C: France, Peru, Denmark, Australia' started by almango, Dec 1, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
?

Who will qualify?

1. France

101 vote(s)
    85.6%
  2. Peru

59 vote(s)
    50.0%
  3. Denmark

48 vote(s)
    40.7%
  4. Australia

14 vote(s)
    11.9%
Multiple votes are allowed.
  1. Ceres

Ceres Member+

Jan 18, 2004
    Aarhus, Denmark
    Club:
    AGF Aarhus
    Nat'l Team:
    Denmark
    #76 Ceres, Dec 11, 2017
    Last edited: Dec 11, 2017
    At the moment there is a Global hunt against drugs in sports, with the latest being the Olympic Committee ban on Russia from the 2018 Winter Games .. it does not look all too good for FIFA that the WC will be played in Russia, so at the moment they surely feel the need to show that they are also very tough on drugs. CAS would also look bad if they were to go against FIFA in a case like this.

soccernutter repped this.
  2. condor11

condor11 Moderator
    Staff Member

Apr 2, 2002
    New Zealand
    no doubt there is a hunt for drug cheats, but if they considered Guerrero a true drug cheat as in he premeditated the use he would have been given between 2 and 4 year ban

I guess that the hope they have in reducing the ban to 6 months

but like I said, Peru will either not have Guerrero or they will get a Guerrero with no pro football for 6 months

In that sense Gareca has to focus on Farfan and his style, which would mean I think playing with two forwards instead of 1

3. Paul Calixte

Paul Calixte Moderator
    Staff Member

Orlando City SC
    Apr 30, 2009
    Miami, FL
    Club:
    Orlando City SC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Ruidíaz to the rescue!

...unless FIFA approves VAR for the World Cup in March :D

condor11 repped this.
  4. Ceres

Ceres Member+

Jan 18, 2004
    Aarhus, Denmark
    Club:
    AGF Aarhus
    Nat'l Team:
    Denmark
    The point is not really if it's a 1, 2 or 4 year ban, but that if FIFA (or CAS) reduce it, to let him play in the WC, they will look very weak on drugs at a time when FIFA are already feeling the heat for letting Russia host a WC ...

5. condor11

condor11 Moderator
    Staff Member

Apr 2, 2002
    New Zealand
    I dont think that will play a role in determining this individual case, but we shall see what comes out of it all

6. mr cricket

mr cricket Member

Apr 4, 2012
    Nat'l Team:
    Australia
    1)France
    2) Denmark
    3)Peru
    4) Australia

7. condor11

condor11 Moderator
    Staff Member

Apr 2, 2002
    New Zealand
    Starting 2 fwds would make for an interesting reshuffle in the mids

Gareca would have to choose between Flores and Yotun to accompany Tapia in the central midfield

Cueva would have to shift back to the left side

Carrillo would have to step up his game on the right

He would have to go from his og plan

--------------Tapia----Yotun
    ---Carrillo-------Cueva------Flores
    --------------------Guerrero

to a new formation of

------------------Tapia---
    ----------------------------Yotun/Flores
    ---Carrillo-----------------------------Cueva
    -----------------Farfan---
    ---------------------------Ruidiaz

8. Pipiolo

Pipiolo Member+

Jul 19, 2008
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
    France and Peru to advance, although Denmark may surprise. Australia is still at the same level as in WC14, although they should exit with at least a point.

9. Hayaka

Hayaka Member+

Jun 21, 2009
    San Francisco North Bay, Bel Marin Keys
    Club:
    --other--
    Nat'l Team:
    Denmark
    While I recognize it is easy to put too much emphasis on transfer values, I was nevertheless a bit shocked to see that Peru has only one player (Andre Carrillo) with a transfer value over 5 million euros. Denmark (no powerhouse when it comes to transfer values) has 16 players over that amount.

Peru must play very well as a unit, to qualify from CONMEBOL with (apparently ) limited talent.

https://www.transfermarkt.com/spiel...d=alle&altersklasse=alle&land_id=133&yt0=Show

10. condor11

condor11 Moderator
    Staff Member

Apr 2, 2002
    New Zealand
    anyone have France crashing out like 2002 and 2010?

Their last four participation's since winning the cup in 98 have been a mixed bag of 50% effectiveness at getting out of the group

also this will be the 5th WC participation for Denmark, Peru and Australia

Denmark has gotten out of their group 3 out 4 attempts
    Peru has gotten out of their group 2 out of 4 attempts
    Australia has gotten out of their group 1 out of 4 attempts

11. condor11

condor11 Moderator
    Staff Member

Apr 2, 2002
    New Zealand
    the team has a bunch of relatively young guys who are just now making their names on the South American continent so will potentially increase their value once the WC is over

for example Carrillo is not better than Cueva (most would say Cueva is the better player) but is worth more

Farfan was worth more but at 33 and following his exile in UAE he is just now finding himself in Russia

Edison Flores with 5 world cup qualifying goals should eventually move closer to the Carrillo price tag

Hayaka repped this.
  12. Philip J. Fry

Philip J. Fry Member+

Mexico
    Jun 12, 2013
    Club:
    Borussia Dortmund
    Not really. They have a lot of talent (young talent) which includes star power, a lot of depth and unlike 2010, they have a competent head coach.
    Unless a bunch of players get hurt at once or for some reason or another the coach losses the team (which won't happen), they should comfortable get out of this group and probably go far.

13. maestri09

maestri09 Member+

Jun 14, 2006
    Toronto, Canada
    Club:
    Alianza Lima
    Nat'l Team:
    Peru
    Guerrero's case isn't exactly the "drugs" that the Russian olympic federation are said to have used, or wanted to use.

14. Italy-Azzurri-Fan

Nov 15, 2014
    Club:
    Juventus FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    No but it would be a dream come true if that is to happen.

15. condor11

condor11 Moderator
    Staff Member

Apr 2, 2002
    New Zealand
    yeah the Russians allegedly doped for performance

at the very worst Paolo Guerrero is a dope for drinking something that had not been approved by the dcotor

there is a distinction

if Guerrero had been deemed to have been a doper with the intention of getting an advantage he would not have gotten 1 year he would be looking at 4 years (or a min of 2)

16. Paul Calixte

Paul Calixte Moderator
    Staff Member

Orlando City SC
    Apr 30, 2009
    Miami, FL
    Club:
    Orlando City SC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Or just drop Carrillo :p

------------------Tapia---
    ----------------------------Yotun
    ---Cueva-----------------------------Flores
    -----------------Farfan---
    ---------------------------Ruidiaz

17. condor11

condor11 Moderator
    Staff Member

Apr 2, 2002
    New Zealand

could be a goer but only problem is that I dont recall Cueva playing much on the right he usually appears to play either centrally or on the left. Of course this does not mean he cant play there

btw, Carrillo was the biggest disappointment out of the first game in Wellington, watching him at the stadium he looked like he did not want to be out there. Says a lot that Polo played better than him in the return game

Paul Calixte repped this.
  18. Iranian Monitor

Iranian Monitor Member+

Aug 18, 2004
    Nat'l Team:
    Iran
    Not an easy group even if France would be the clear favorite to advance. Tough to pick between Denmark and Peru while the Socceroos will also have a chance.

19. Italy-Azzurri-Fan

Nov 15, 2014
    Club:
    Juventus FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    Yeah France will not have it easy. Denmark is improving, and Peru and Australia are not teams to be underestimated. I also don't believe France will take full 9 points. I think more like 7pts which will still put them top of the group.

20. Paul Calixte

Paul Calixte Moderator
    Staff Member

Orlando City SC
    Apr 30, 2009
    Miami, FL
    Club:
    Orlando City SC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Basically what they did in Brazil. Btw: you have to imagine they're breathing a huge sigh of relief that it's Australia in their group and not Honduras again (poor, poor Pogba :D ).

21. Italy-Azzurri-Fan

Nov 15, 2014
    Club:
    Juventus FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    Yeah pretty much. And I believe they will beat Peru and Australia and tie with Denmark, which is one of the reasons why I say Denmark is the favorite to go second place because they are France's last game.

22. Blondo

Blondo Member+

Sep 21, 2013
    This will go down well in the French dressing room. A French implosion is overdue anyway.

[​IMG]

23. Iranian Monitor

Iranian Monitor Member+

Aug 18, 2004
    Nat'l Team:
    Iran
    #98 Iranian Monitor, Dec 17, 2017
    Last edited: Dec 17, 2017
    This group needs a proper thread. It is really too early for predictions and there isn't a thread for a more general discussion about this group. I actually like to learn more about how the teams in this group are doing. Besides Australia, I am rather clueless when it comes to the others. Even France is a side I know only from their Euro 2016 campaign at home and haven't seen much of them since. And I am certainly not as up to date when it comes to the Danes. As for Peru, I need to better understand how they rank so highly by both FIFA and ELO, not in terms of their results, but understanding their team. From everything I know, they appear mediocre and would be more an average pot 3 side than a highly ranked pot 2 team (ranked #10 by FIFA and #12 by ELO!). Peru certainly didn't impress me against New Zealand.

p.s.
    Given that Peru did not have an easy time beating New Zealand in the playoffs, and the fact that Australia is much better than New Zealand but of similar character, that actually doesn't portend well for Peru against the Socceroos. Indeed, it appears to me that if Australia were to be content with a draw against Peru, they could accomplish that task rather easily.

24. Ceres

Ceres Member+

Jan 18, 2004
    Aarhus, Denmark
    Club:
    AGF Aarhus
    Nat'l Team:
    Denmark
    Denmark is a very small country population wise, but the NT's (also at youth level) are always highly attacking minded and insist on keeping possession, which is also why they narrowly fail to qualify at times when they are building a new team ... but when they then manage qualify they usually also get past the group stage and impress while doing so ...

If you look at this years results, this team has drawn 1-1 with Germany in a friendly and beaten Poland by 4-0 in the WC qualifiers, but probably more importantly they have won 4 of their 5 away games (except for a 0-0 draw in Romania) in the WC qualifers including the 5-1 away win in the play-off against Ireland, so it's a new young team that also do exceptionally well when playing away from home ...

25. elviejomen

elviejomen Member+

Aug 3, 2007
    Hasbrouck Heights NJ
    Club:
    Junior Barranquilla
    Nat'l Team:
    Colombia
    They appear mediocre based on the games you watch them play against new Zealand?
    I'm just curious how you rate Iran against Peru.
    Because Iran couldn't beat Argentina last world cup; but Peru tied them twice even in Argentina, last qualifiers