'Gringo' in Chivas' midst - Padilla born in the USA

Discussion in 'Yanks Abroad' started by Stogey23, Feb 20, 2008.

1. PasionPorElTri

PasionPorElTri New Member

Jun 27, 2005
    Guadalajara, Mexico
    Club:
    CD Chivas de Guadalajara
    Nat'l Team:
    Mexico
    Hey ahole... are we talking about football here? for a minute I thought we were, but you let me get the best of you.

2. futgod

futgod Member+

Nov 28, 2006
    NorCal
    Club:
    CD Chivas de Guadalajara
    Nat'l Team:
    Mexico
    A tigre fan talking about who is more popular in Guadalajara :rolleyes: Chivas is by far the most supported team in Guadalajara anybody that actually lives there can tell you that. Im from Guanatos as well as my family and i can assure you Chivas outnumbers Americanistas and Margaritas by a lot.
    La Legion is from Guanatos but theres also one in el DF.

3. bungadiri

bungadiri Super Moderator
    Staff Member

Jan 25, 2002
    Acnestia
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Congratulations to those of you who've kept this thread civil and on topic.

To the few who are pulling it into the politics forum zone: please stop. While Padilla's pending decision might imply a choice between one country and another for him, generalizations about nationality, loyalty, and race are not going to be allowed to continue.

4. PasionPorElTri

PasionPorElTri New Member

Jun 27, 2005
    Guadalajara, Mexico
    Club:
    CD Chivas de Guadalajara
    Nat'l Team:
    Mexico
    True.

5. MaGuilar776

MaGuilar776 New Member

Feb 25, 2008
    Atlas wanted Jesus Padilla to begin with but his dad and him were like NOPE we love the chivas!! my dad also wanted him to be on Atalas cause that who my dad played for!! ANDALE GORDO VETE AL ATLAS!!

6. arkadygelman

arkadygelman New Member

May 22, 2003
    D.C. give or take
    So that the most important issue is not forgot amongst all the talk:

According to Wikipedia, Padilla is from the US once again

7. Stogey23

Stogey23 Member+

Dec 12, 1998
    San Diego, CA
    Well that's because Wikipedia strives to be accurate. :D

8. MaGuilar776

MaGuilar776 New Member

Feb 25, 2008
    Well the issue is settled and guess what guys.. hes still in the CHIVAS!!

9. amavel

amavel New Member

Jun 25, 2007
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    On the English and Spanish profiles for Chivas, his national flag is Mexico. However, on both player profiles, he's listed as Mexican-American.

I don't think the national flags can be changed because he appears to have Mexican citizenship regardless of his birth in the USA.

10. Stan Collins

Stan Collins Member+

Feb 26, 1999
    Silver Spring, MD
    This kind of talk is what I consider morally offensive. Playing for a national rival is not "bad conduct." And it dang sure isn't comparable to the allegations against Kobe Bryant.

11. Dave Marino-Nachison

Jun 9, 1999
    Whether Padilla was born in the U.S. or Mexico or wherever, he's a U.S. citizen and Chivas has obviously known this for years -- at least as long as we have been trying to call him up from there, if not longer. Clearly this hasn't bothered them enough to cut, loan or sell him. Make of that what you will.

Has Padilla ever appeared for Chivas in a major competition?

12. futgod

futgod Member+

Nov 28, 2006
    NorCal
    Club:
    CD Chivas de Guadalajara
    Nat'l Team:
    Mexico
    Yeah he's played in Libertadores and in Regular season games. Chivas is ok with him cuz he has his Mexicna birth cirtificate cuz both his parents are Meixcan and this by Mexican law makes him a mexican citizen.

13. Dave Marino-Nachison

Jun 9, 1999
    Gotcha. So it seems that if they're playing him on the first team, they truly don't care that he's a dual citizen; if the "Chivas Bogeyman" actually exists at all, it simply doesn't want him playing for the U.S. -- which, if that's what he wants, is good enough for me. (Although we've at least tried to call him up, while I'm not sure Mexico has.)

14. futgod

futgod Member+

Nov 28, 2006
    NorCal
    Club:
    CD Chivas de Guadalajara
    Nat'l Team:
    Mexico
    Mexico has never called him up and I doubt it will happen anytime soon

15. El Cabrito

El Cabrito Member

Dec 22, 2002
    Ca
    I would consider lying to an organization and misleading it for personal growth as "bad conduct."

Again Chivas does hold itself to a certain standard, if one of their players is unable to hold himself to that standard then chivas has the right to discipline that player.

16. Kazuma

Kazuma Member+

Chelsea
    Jul 30, 2007
    Detroit
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    This post has got to be one of the most hilarious things I've read. Comparing rape to a person who for all we know could just be keeping his options open is like comparing the size of my greyhound to the size of a Siamese cat.

17. Golazo

Golazo Member+

Apr 15, 1999
    Decatur, GA USA
    "certain standard"?

It's a marketing ploy. An insanely successful, if transparent, marketing ploy.

Chivas players don't take monastic vows or promise to keep their grades up or promise to tithe part of their salaries. Chivas players strive to be good players, help the team win and maybe move on to other teams when they get better offers.

Don't drink the Kool-Aid. It makes you look naive.

18. humstein

humstein New Member

Jun 2, 2003
    Watching the TV Azteca feed of the Chivas - Cruz Azul match.
    Padilla is on the sacred flock's bench.
    The announcers called him "el gringo" Padilla.

19. futgod

futgod Member+

Nov 28, 2006
    NorCal
    Club:
    CD Chivas de Guadalajara
    Nat'l Team:
    Mexico
    Unless your speaking about European clubs, their is no bigger club than Chivas in the North America. Every player in Mexico who doesnt play for chivas wishes he could.

20. The Devil's Architect

Feb 10, 2000
    The American Steppe
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    [​IMG]

Oh really?

21. futgod

futgod Member+

Nov 28, 2006
    NorCal
    Club:
    CD Chivas de Guadalajara
    Nat'l Team:
    Mexico
    He wishes, but he isnt good enough or smart enough.

22. Golazo

Golazo Member+

Apr 15, 1999
    Decatur, GA USA
    Can't imagine why Chivas and their fans have a reputation for unearned arrogance and delusions of grandeur.

23. futgod

futgod Member+

Nov 28, 2006
    NorCal
    Club:
    CD Chivas de Guadalajara
    Nat'l Team:
    Mexico
    Name me one club who has more history or fans in North America and that plays in a better league?

Let me help you

NONE

Unearned arrogance? Chivas has more than a 100 years earning all we got.

24. Golazo

Golazo Member+

Apr 15, 1999
    Decatur, GA USA
    Sparky, you have to make up your mind here, with all this "North America" you're throwing around. If you believe MLS is crap, then having more history than MLS (or Toronto FC + the two Canadian A-League sides) is no big accomplishment. If MLS and U.S. soccer are not crap, then all the American players who would rather play in Europe, MLS or somewhere else (not Chivas) have voted with their feet, and their votes matter. Either way, your argument is weak.

As for "better league," let's have a statistically meaningful number of SuperLiga and Concacaf Champions Cup games before we draw any conclusions, shall we? (Oh yeah, and for good measure.... 2-0).

Finally, I'll concede that Chivas may have more fans than any other team in North America. Of course, that's been my point all along... that they have come up with a genius marketing plan to have fools believe that they're part of some spiritual sacred flock.... while the stockholders in CDG run all the way to the bank with your hard-earned money. Better you than me, my friend.

In any case, we have hijacked this thread, and that's wrong. Also, you are too emotionally wrapped up in the fact that you have fallen for the marketing plan to see it any other way. If you want to prattle on and sound naive and foolish, be my guest, but I'm done with this discussion.