Greg Garza at Tijuana

Discussion in 'Yanks Abroad' started by pwip, Aug 3, 2008.

1. pwip

pwip Member

Jul 10, 2004
    Dallas
  2. supercooper

supercooper Red Card

Jun 23, 2008
  3. arsenalfc08

arsenalfc08 Member

Mar 14, 2005
    Re: Greg Garza to Sporting Lisbon

Nice article, I hope the kid does well.

4. nmesoccer

nmesoccer New Member

Jul 15, 2006
    Lisboa - Portugal

Greg is doing a great job and will definitely get his feet into the pro team sooner than later ...

5. JuanPeron

JuanPeron Member

Jul 16, 2005
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    St. Vincent and the Grenadines

thank you for the update.

6. dcpohl

dcpohl Member+

Feb 9, 2007
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

Freaking nice! I didn't even know about this guy. Sporting Lisbon? Can't think of a better place to be with their track record.

7. sidefootsitter

sidefootsitter Member+

Oct 14, 2004

Did he play at the last U-17?

With Ellis and Jared?

8. Namdynamo

Namdynamo Member+

Jan 1, 2005

Yep. From my memory, he was a left winger in the mold of Robbie Rogers. Great speed, very tricky with the ball.

9. HighburyForever

HighburyForever Red Card

Oct 15, 2006
    Wooloomooloo, New South Wales
    Club:
    Zenit St Petersburg
    Nat'l Team:
    Russia

How are all these U-17 World Cup kids getting signed by good European clubs? Everyone looked awful in that tournament. I hope the kid does well and I wish him the best, but nobody really stood out for us at the World Cup.

10. DaPrince84

DaPrince84 Member+

Aug 22, 2001
    MD
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    --other--

this is why they are scouts... they dont use one tournament to judge players potential...

this is also why you are not a scout

11. voros

voros Member

Jun 7, 2002
    Parts Unknown
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

Yeah he was a left footer who alternated between fullback and the wings.

He was one of the ones I had some hope for because of his age and technical ability. To be a starter for the U-17s with an August odd year birthday is obviously a sign of at least some ability (though being on the Texans obviously helped him getting noticed).

12. HighburyForever

HighburyForever Red Card

Oct 15, 2006
    Wooloomooloo, New South Wales
    Club:
    Zenit St Petersburg
    Nat'l Team:
    Russia

True but in this ONE tournament, you are playing against the best under 17 year olds in the world. That's a better measure of a players quality than playing in some regional ODP tournament.

13. sidefootsitter

sidefootsitter Member+

Oct 14, 2004

This kid apparently also tried out for them.

Plus, having some experience in Brazil must have helped too.

BTW, from what I understand, Portugal has no foreign player limit.

14. Namdynamo

Namdynamo Member+

Jan 1, 2005

What do you expect from a Hackworthless coached team. I remember watching that team play and their whole game plan was revolving around the long throw in from the sideline to the opponent's penalty box as their secret weapon, and they used it repeatedly. Reminds me so much of the Greg Ryan's coached team. Unbelievable how tactically inept that team was, it was so embarrassing to watch.

On the other hand, every one on that team was very technically sound. I still remember a few people in the know from the youth national team forum said that there are quite a few good players from that team. Besides Renken from this cycle (who is a phenom), players from last cycle are of similar talent.

15. Kyonn

Kyonn New Member

Dec 24, 2004

I hope he make the grade there. Sporting is a great place to learn to play wing. Just ask Ronaldo, Nani, Quaresma and Figo. To play wing for them one needs to be two-footed and able to play either side.

16. minya

minya Member

Mar 27, 2008
    san diego, ca

Those were friends and relatives. Seriously, if they had talent, it was coached out of them. It was that bad. It might take them a long time to recover, if ever. Danny Cruiz, who was the last moment addition, might end up be the best player of all.

17. Kyonn

Kyonn New Member

Dec 24, 2004

Still to early to tell. Ibrahim and Garza just turned 17 last month.

18. minya

minya Member

Mar 27, 2008
    san diego, ca

You are right, ever would be too much. They are still young.

19. DaPrince84

DaPrince84 Member+

Aug 22, 2001
    MD
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    --other--

its still one tournament... I dont think Lisbon are just going to sign him up without actually seeing the kid play more than 3 games...

tournaments overrate and underrate players... in the grand scheme of things, the US u17s touring Europe last year was a bigger factor for these players going elsewhere than the u17 tournament

20. pwip

pwip Member

Jul 10, 2004
    Dallas

Jeffrey and Garza wanted to be pro's at an early age and for what it is worth Dallas Texans is building connection as well as a reputation of developing pro players.

I'm gonna make a wild ass prediciton. With the attention Emo is getting, there will be 3 others from his DTR 96 that will have a pro career in the near future.

21. Namdynamo

Namdynamo Member+

Jan 1, 2005

I wouldn't call guys like Gersman friends and relatives.

22. minya

minya Member

Mar 27, 2008
    san diego, ca

Gersman is human, he bought hype, by the end of the tournament he was more surprised than anybody.

23. Namdynamo

Namdynamo Member+

Jan 1, 2005

He was surprise by Hackworth's incompetence, not individual player's skill.

24. minya

minya Member

Mar 27, 2008
    san diego, ca

Whatever Hackworth did to them, made Williams' long throw the only recognizable skill except for Cruiz' speed and determination of course. But Cruiz didn't play much as he didn't know what to do on those throw ins. Seriously, I've never seen them before, and looking at the games, Jeffrey, Cruiz and Williams were the only ones who looked as above average MLS prospects. But what I do remember, that that team was loosing everything before the tournament, and all the players were hyped immensely (especially Nimo).

25. Namdynamo

Namdynamo Member+

Jan 1, 2005

You remember this wrong, they were winning a lot of games before the tournament. They had an impressive tour over in Europe just before the U17 WC and won many of the games there while displaying very good technical skills. They thoroughly outplayed the German U17 in German, especially Nimo. That was why they were hyped immensely before the U17 WC.