Green Carders with potential for usmnt

Discussion in 'USA Men: News & Analysis' started by Red Card, Jul 4, 2010.

1. Red Card

Red Card Member+

Mar 3, 1999
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    As we start another 4 year cycle, there will be players who will become USA citizens within the cycle. In other countries citizenship is much simpler. For example if a grandparent was a citizen, you are a citizen. It is what it is and with 310 million people in this country, we cannot complain.

The time line from Green Card holder to citizen takes from 3 to 5 years plus some extra time for processing. If married to a citizen it is 3 years, otherwise 5 years. So it doesn't make sense to even discuss anyone who is first getting a green card now.

Getting back to soccer, so who in MLS or elsewhere is a green card holder.

On RB, there is Danleigh Borman. He played U-xx for South Africa but never played for their full nat team. He is a starter for RB most of the time, and although he is not an all-star, he plays left back which is a perennial weakness for our nats.

I hope other names can be added.

2. Billy Zabka

Billy Zabka Member+

May 4, 2006
    RoFo, PA
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Danny Mwanga will be at our near the top of this list, given our desparate need fo forwards who can finish.

3. wcssstar33

wcssstar33 Member

Aug 28, 2008
    Milwaukee
    Club:
    Newcastle United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Yura Movsisyan is a green card holder and should have his citizenship within a year or two: https://www.bigsoccer.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1091697

Danny Mwanga is an MLS rookie for the Philadelphia Union who has been in this country for awhile, and shouldn't need too much more time at all to be a citizen

4. Davids26

Davids26 Member

May 31, 2000
    Patrick Nyarko holds a green card and could be very close to citizenship but he's said previously he would only play for Ghana. Can't find the link.

5. eainterplay

eainterplay Member

May 11, 2008
    Alabama
    Club:
    Rangers
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    He's a long shot for both Ghana and the US. If I were him I'd be saying first come first served.

6. CbR

CbR Member

Nov 10, 2000
    Bergen County NJ
    too bad it takes too long. I really think uncapped guys that have been in MLS like Morales, Conde, Zakuani could challenge for spots on the game day roster for the US nats. Conde especially

7. Scorpion26

Scorpion26 Member

May 1, 2007
    NY
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Canada
    tchani is a player to watch also from the NYRB squad.

8. dwsmith1972

dwsmith1972 BigSoccer Supporter

May 11, 2007
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Indeed. He has been someone I have been high on. Reminscent in some way of Edu but taller and a little more offensive minded. Perhaps a bit faster.

9. owngoalpoacher

Oct 29, 2009
    Andy Najar, and I'm surprised it took nine posts to mention him.

10. Chesco United

Chesco United Member+

DC United
    Jun 24, 2001
    Chester County, PA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
    Does Sebastien Le Toux have a green card?

11. hurricanes18

hurricanes18 New Member

Nov 23, 2009
    NJ
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    didn't he already commit to honduras or what ever country he's from?

12. owngoalpoacher

Oct 29, 2009
    He told the Washington Post that he would prefer to play for Honduras, but sometimes people change their minds. And nobody doubts that he has the potential to be USMNT-quality.

13. RolexEmbezzled

RolexEmbezzled New Member

May 30, 2009
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Hopefully Armenia doesn't come knocking for Movsisyan, Euro 2012 qualifiers are just around the corner.

14. Scorpion26

Scorpion26 Member

May 1, 2007
    NY
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Canada
    It's the same thoughts I had of him. He is a version of Edu and I do think he would be an ideal player for the US to go after. It will be tough for him to get a crack at starting but off the bench type player for the US should be a good role for him. I believe Edu and Bradley will grow their partnership to a higher level that will be a good core to build around in my opinion.

15. CenterLine

CenterLine Member

Jan 17, 2009
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Does Steve Zakuani have a green card?

Tchani, Mwanga, Najar are obvious choices we should also keep a close eye on.

16. Chesco United

Chesco United Member+

DC United
    Jun 24, 2001
    Chester County, PA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
    I've heard Zakuani wants to play for DR Congo. I believe his brother has a cap or two for them.

17. soccerdisciple

Mar 8, 2004
    The Congo will do nothing for him career wise.

18. babieca

babieca Member

Jul 12, 2009
    Charlotte, NC
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    That's probably not why he wants to do it then.

19. RaveGreen

RaveGreen Member

Seattle Sounders FC
    Apr 6, 2009
    Seattle
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders
    Zakuani would be excellent as we lack any true wingers outside of Donovan and Dempsey. Sure Torres and Holden CAN play out on the wing but that's not their natural position.

Zakuani said he'd like to play for the Congo in the future like his brother but it seems like he probably will not get a call up. Anti-MLS snobbery is prevalent amongst African countries.

Thomas Rongen or whoever is in charge needs to have a sit down with Zakuani and explain that if he wants to play in a World Cup his chances are MUCH better by choosing the US than Congo which traditionally has struggled. He may have sentimental reasons for wanting to play for Congo but if he knows he could become an "American Hero" rather than just another player for the Congo he might choose the US. He's still young and impressionable.

20. Sakatei

Sakatei Member

Jun 24, 2007
    Has Africa been notified of this?

21. Liberty603

Liberty603 New Member

Jul 2, 2010
    Horsham
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    It's true that we don't have any wingers like Zakuani. The guys we play on the wings now play a completely different style of game than he does, so if he does choose to play for the USA, I'd be happy.

22. PSUmlsSOCCER

PSUmlsSOCCER New Member

May 31, 2010
  23. Tony in Quakeland

Jan 27, 2003
    Pleasant Hill, CA
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    True. We need to take action. I'm establishing a big soccer thread for women willing to marry these guys to get them green cards. Whose got a sister willing to volunteer?

24. bshredder

bshredder BigSoccer Supporter

Feb 23, 1999
    Club:
    Millwall FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Rodney Wallace

On the list because he plays left back

He's somewhere along in the naturalization process

25. Wessoman

Wessoman Member+

Sep 26, 2005
    Austin, TX
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    That really doesn't answer the question, but I think he is getting his citizenship. I know Movsisiyan will be eligible in 2013 with optimal conditions, so as long as he's started his process about the same time Yura has, we may also see Le Toux in 2013 too.