Grade the US against Mexico

Discussion in 'BigSoccer Polls' started by Huss, Mar 28, 2005.

1. Huss

Huss Member

Aug 1, 1995
    New York, NY
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Grade the US performance against Mexico:

2. CHICO13

CHICO13 Moderator
    Staff Member

Oct 4, 2001
    SECTION 135
    Club:
    The Strongest La Paz
    Nat'l Team:
    Bolivia
    Where's the D? I would give the overall effort of the team a C- and Arenas coaching tactics a D+

3. afgrijselijkheid

Dec 29, 2002
    mokum
    Club:
    AFC Ajax
    really a C-... and folks, C- doesn't cut it at azteca

4. Portista69

Portista69 New Member

Sep 6, 2004
    London,Canada
    Club:
    FC Porto
    Nat'l Team:
    Portugal
    The US was lucky that the scoreline was only 2-1 :cool: The scoreline doesen't justify the dominance by the Mexicans, the score could have easily been 5 or 6-1 :eek:

5. Leedsutd12

Leedsutd12 New Member

Aug 23, 2002
    Newton
    i graded them an F because for thing when u go to the azteca you have to be prepared to play. They were no ready to play at all. I think the tactics were nice they were looking good to me. I really liked the idea of having Johnson up top on his own but Beasely should be out wide so he can run at people. I think the defense played the worst defense ive ever see. They didnt mark, they didnt go into tackels, they didnt communicate. The midfield gave the ball away everytime they got it. Reyna looked like he was gonna pass out the whole game. Hes a great player but not after hes been out for months with an injury, he needed more time to recover before a big game like that. Overall i was very dissapointed in there performance. props to Eddie Lewis because he played well and had a nice strike.

6. CHICO13

CHICO13 Moderator
    Staff Member

Oct 4, 2001
    SECTION 135
    Club:
    The Strongest La Paz
    Nat'l Team:
    Bolivia
    Or 2-2

7. Moishe

Moishe Moderator
    Staff Member

Boca Juniors
    Argentina
    Mar 6, 2005
    Here there and everywhere.
    Club:
    CA Boca Juniors
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
    C- at best. Questionable lineup, Formation? I'll give most of the blame to The Bruce. DMD has always been at his best out wide so why he was inside was iffy. As good as EJ is, he still needs support up front. Landon still isn't getting it done. Reyna wasn't fit and Mastroenni didn't show up to play. We made a show of the Colorado camp which was obviously a guise and use tired Euro's that haven't spent enough time together. I changed my mind, I'll put this all on The Bruce.

8. mschofield

mschofield Member+

May 16, 2000
    Berlin
    Club:
    Union Berlin
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    C because it was an average performance for the US at Azteca. Not a surprising result either way, but one that 10 years ago we'd have seen and said well, what do you expect. Not a D or F because we did score and we didn't get beat by 3-4 goals. But no better than average (course, with grade inflation, that probably makes it an A-). ;)

9. Mosco

Mosco Member+

Dec 1, 2004
    Sun Valley, CA
    Well we will see if Mexico is as strong as theyare when they meet again in Colombus. Ohio I just want to see for my ownself that Mexico is stronger than the usa so this game in October will determine that Mexico is the stonger foe!!

10. evanpemsocr

evanpemsocr New Member

Jun 11, 2004
    Rocky Mount, Va
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I think we came out with the wrong mentality, I dont care where we are or who we are playing, we shoudlnt let that dictate how we play. The best defense is a good attack, if we have the ball then they dont and they cant score without the ball. We sat back and gave them the ball and gave them opportunities to score. Our defense was very weak, i dont like berhalter at all. Beasley shouldnt be in the middle, we should have made subs earlier in the second half. But since our goal was a better goal than the two they had, and we played hard so I give us a C.

11. beltwayrob

beltwayrob New Member

Jun 15, 2004
    Alexandria, VA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I'll stick with the C grade. This game could have been a lot worse. I wasn't shocked at all. In fact my roommate and I sat there the entire game saying to one another "yeah, exactly what I expected." Conditioning for games at Azteca is not easy and Mexico definitely has home field advantage there. Our guys just looked sloppy, and no offense to our Euro boys but they looked like crap. Our MLS siders looked to be in decent form.

As for the game in C-bus, well, we shall see but I venture to say we'll have Eddie Pope back in the line-up by then and that will help of defense tremendously.

12. fireman451

fireman451 Member+

Jun 26, 2002
    The Midwest
    Club:
    --other--
    I give the USMNT a "C". We played very solid for about 20 minutes of the game (most of which happened in the first 15 minutes of the second half.) Unfortunately, the match was about 94 minutes long.

13. eejit

eejit Member

Jun 10, 2004
    I give the USMNT a "B-".

It was a match in which they were swept away by half-time but still had the character to come back and pressurise for a 2-2.

I think alot of people have gone over the top in their criticism and the result needs to be kept in perspective.

14. eejit

eejit Member

Jun 10, 2004
    This is a different game in different location. I expect USMNT to win at home vs Mexico when the conditions are more equal.

15. bigredfutbol

bigredfutbol Moderator
    Staff Member

Sep 5, 2000
    Woodbridge, VA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

They showed character, but little else. And the score, frankly, flatters us a little. Although El Tri also having an off-day (I wouldn't be happy with their play if I were a Mexico fan) played a part.

16. soccerfan

soccerfan BigSoccer Supporter

Mar 13, 1999
    New Jersey
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    C- ALL THE WAY this team was not prepared , when was the last time this guys played together especialy our back 4. You cannot go into a game like this unprepared.

Bruce deserves no more then a D

17. TOTC

TOTC Member

Feb 20, 2001
    Laurel, MD, USA
    Well, it was the first U.S. goal scored in Azteca since 1984.

18. Mosco

Mosco Member+

Dec 1, 2004
    Sun Valley, CA
    Yeah I think it would of been fair if the usa would of gotten atleast a week with all the players to adjust to the climates of Mexico city! But hey thats world futbol for you!

19. randomdcfan

randomdcfan New Member

Jan 28, 2005
    MD
    Gave a C because they scored....they didn't even threaten Mexico for 9/10 of the game...

20. crusio

crusio New Member

May 10, 2004
    Princeton
    C-............. Spotty defense (some good defensive plays, but it's hard to overlook Mexicans standing unmarked in front of the net), zero creativity up top (and I mean literally none aside from the goal ofcourse), and a midfield that could neither hold possession or launch an attack..

21. crusio

crusio New Member

May 10, 2004
    Princeton
    For all the bashing Donovan is getting (by me included), he did do a great job at controling a tough to handle pass from EJ then layed it off gently for the strike.. Real nice goal!

22. MJNES

MJNES New Member

Jul 8, 1999
    Cranford, NJ
    I'll give them a C. Wasn't crazy about the tactics or the choice of the defensive personnel. US is talented enough to play their game regardless of who they are playing, whether home or away.

However, if we win at home on Wednesday, this result will be inconsequential. 6 points from 3 games, two of which were on the road, is very strong in my book.

23. jahncgol848

jahncgol848 New Member

Mar 28, 2005
    hawthorne,ca.
    c+ us did well enough to score there in 20 years, thats a start. those are hostile fans in mexico city, probably the toughest place to play in the world, and i don't think bruce put his best 11 and he knows it. he knows exactly what we have to do to beat mexico. we miss you johnny O. come and help your country out!!!!

24. furie

furie Member

Jun 29, 2002
    Long Island, NY
    Club:
    New York City FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  25. Mosco

Mosco Member+

Dec 1, 2004
    Sun Valley, CA