Gooch to Milan IV [R]

Discussion in 'Yanks Abroad' started by giffenbone, Apr 24, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. sidefootsitter

sidefootsitter Member+

Oct 14, 2004
    I am not knocking him because I can't judge his priorities.

Maybe he decided that, if money were comparable, then Milan was where his lifestyle fit him and his missus the best.

Playing quality wise, the different between spot starting with ACM and a full time gig at Besisktas aren't as clear cut as the difference between the Bundesliga and MLS.

2. kool-aide

kool-aide Member+

Feb 1, 2002
    a van by the river
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    So, is it just me or should the official MLS website NOT feature an article which slams a player for not talking to the media. Why the f#ck do they care? A) the Official MLS website is not media. B) Onyewu is not an MLS player. C) Potentially antagonizing an American player that one day MLS might want to feature for one of their clubs is unprofessional & stupid. I suppose a what f-ing idiot designed the MLS website editorial policy is a discussion better held elsewhere.

I didn't realize Gooch wasn't talking to the press. Is that new or has he pretty much been keeping quiet all season? Does Milan have a general policy w/ regards to which players are "presented" to the media for interviews?

3. mcritelli

mcritelli Member

Nov 7, 2009
    Club:
    AC Milan
    Ouch, that was a pretty rough article, and not just for Gooch.

AFAIK, there is no specific "only talk to so-and-so and such-and-such times" for Milan players. There's usually quite a few random quotes from a variety of players floating around at any time. There's just a general "don't talk shit about the club' rule, which I imagine every club has. Kaladze learned this the hard way after he spoke out about not getting enough playing time, and wasn't even put on the bench for the next 6 months. Maybe Gooch is just being careful?

4. sidefootsitter

sidefootsitter Member+

Oct 14, 2004
    I don't know who the freak Simon Borg is but I sort of agree with him on the captaincy issue.

But then he mentions the USSF handout on 4-3-3 and ruins everything else.

5. Gorky

Gorky Member+

Jul 28, 2006
    NYC
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Simon Borg is pretty stupid.

Anyway, Gooch didn't make the 19 for the game vs Chievo, but neither did Yepes and Papasthopoulos.

6. freisland

freisland Member+

Jan 31, 2001
    It's low risk, high reward for exactly the reason you mention. If Gooch turned out to be good enough that he could plug a hole for merely his wages, as opposed to spending A-list money on a back-up back, that is high reward. If, on the other hand, paying Gooch's salary and just getting a practice cone is what you end up with, it's relatively small peanuts.

7. lynne

lynne Member+

Oct 11, 2003
    How many CDs are there at AC Milan this year? I guess they're all healthy?

Figures.

8. sidefootsitter

sidefootsitter Member+

Oct 14, 2004
    A real low risk-high reward scenario is picking up some U-20 kid for $200K and having him develop into a starter.

But if the kid never develops beyond the 3rd Division, then them are the apples and sunk costs are negligible.

For Gooch's to have a high upside commensurate with his salary, he'd have to develop into a heavy rotation player at the very least.

Maybe that was ACM's hope but, upon the inspection, that hope was far from reality.

As I had used before with my NFL analogy, he was their known commodity $1M free agent acquisition who was expected to provide depth ... but he failed to do even that.

Other teams just draft unknowns in 5th-7th rounds, which costs them $250K-$400K per pick. Those are like the aforementioned $200K U-20 player - they are not necessarily expected to make the team but some do and a GM really hits a home run, if one of them develops into a solid starter.

I think 5-6 but anything outside of the starters is of dubious quality.

That is why they're looking to acquire some prized center halves available.

9. freisland

freisland Member+

Jan 31, 2001
    Milan does not play American football. Again, it's fairly simple. If Gooch can do the job that would otherwise have to go to a much more expensive player, then he's high reward. He is low risk 'cause he don't cost much, being a free and all. Now, let's argue about how Robino is left footed.

10. Scotty

Scotty Member+

Dec 15, 1999
    Toscana
    Back from national team, Onyewu bypassed by Milan

http://sports.yahoo.com/soccer/news?slug=ap-acmilan-onyewu

11. Gorky

Gorky Member+

Jul 28, 2006
    NYC
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Yes, Nesta and Thiago Silva are both healthy and Bonera is the likely backup.

By the way Chievo Verona (the flying donkeys) are a team that really wanted Gooch on loan this summer.

12. comoesa

comoesa Member+

Aug 13, 2010
    Christen Press's armpit
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Serioualy, what is with his obsession with playing for AC Milan...go on loan to another Serie A side and get playing time geez.

13. KALM

KALM Member+

Oct 6, 2006
    Boston/Providence
    No obsession (yet). He wanted at least half a season to see whether he could get playing time at the club that signed him. That's a reasonable amount of time to see where you stand with any club (and it's about as long as it took guys like Dempsey and Edu to get some playing time with their clubs). He didn't get that last season because of his injury, so he gave it another shot this time.

Doesn't look like it's going to work out. Oh well. If he seeks a loan or transfer this winter, it won't be a big loss and he'll have given it as good a go as was warranted.

14. GalacticoX4

GalacticoX4 Member+

Jun 2, 2004
    Some people just have ambition to be the best and be winners. Others are perfectly happy to play for any team that will give them a chance. I can't ever fault a guy that wants to take a shot at being great but fails. Especially over taking a safe route to just being a journeyman and mediocrity.

15. comoesa

comoesa Member+

Aug 13, 2010
    Christen Press's armpit
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Okay, that is nice in theory, but in the real world you have to actually play if you want to be the best.

Not even making the bench for a CL club or playing for another Serie A side...I don;t see how the former can lead to anything good.

16. stphnsn

stphnsn Member+

Jan 30, 2009
    t silva went down yesterday. it looked like a twist or pull more than a collision-type injury so i'm guessing he'll be out for a bit.

17. andypalmer

andypalmer Member

Aug 28, 2008
    Baltimore
    Club:
    Fulham FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I have a cousin who was 3rd string QB for Florida State when they won the Cotton Bowl with Charlie Ward as starting QB. He never stepped foot on the field, but he still has the diamond studded Cotton Bowl Champion ring on his finger. He has yet to interview for a job and not get offered it.

18. Balls of Fire

Balls of Fire Member

Oct 16, 2007
    Starting QB jobs in the NFL?

19. agibson

agibson New Member

Sep 18, 2009
    Prévessin, France
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    His CV needs some work, but _man_ can he sell that interview.

20. Superpippo

Superpippo Member

Apr 30, 2010
    Club:
    AC Milan
    What kind of jobs? ROTFL

21. TimB4Last

TimB4Last Member+

May 5, 2006
    Dystopia
    Ringbearer?

[​IMG]

22. andypalmer

andypalmer Member

Aug 28, 2008
    Baltimore
    Club:
    Fulham FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    No, I'm just making the point that different people have different goals with their sports career. For some, their sports career IS their main goal (Favre for example), for others, their sports career is a stepping stone to another goal (Robert Smith, using 5 years of NFL salary to fund medical school for example). I'm just making the point that even being on a "big team" can open career doors that otherwise wouldn't be opened because there are a lot of people out there who will give you a job just because you were an athlete on the "right" team. You still have to be at least minimally qualified, but you'll get hired over more qualified applicants without the sports background.

:shrugs: Gooch has done some modeling and I believe his wife is a model, too. Perhaps his ultimate goal is a modeling career and being in Milan, as a former AC Milan player, will open many doors in that regard. Perhaps its something completely different. The fact is, we simply don't know. What people are doing, however, is judging Gooch based on how THEY would make career choices, rather than considering that Gooch may have a different end-goal in mind than an "old, broken, but successful soccer player."

23. kool-aide

kool-aide Member+

Feb 1, 2002
    a van by the river
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I agree -- well, mostly. I think some posters don't even judge players such as Gooch based on how the poster would make a career decision irl with all the facts but on how they'd make a decision in FIFA Manager.

eta: My cousin married a guy who "played for" an SEC football school. He, too, has been able to open doors b/c of this past. You're completely correct about that experience being, um, able to grease some wheels. When my family was first told about him (ie your cousin got engaged) the first description was "he played football for _____ "

24. AndyMead

AndyMead Homo Sapien

Nov 2, 1999
    Seat 12A
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City
    This is a huge point.

Many of us old enough to remember "waiting for Jovan Kirovski" know that just because we want a player to go somewhere where they get minutes, it's hard to blame someone in their early 20s who has managed to catch onto a top European club for relatively big bucks, that they would stay in that situation and not play rather than take a pay cut and go somewhere else.

These guys have relatively short careers at making very large incomes. While they'll still be able to work after their playing careers, they won't be making nearly as much.

If someone wants to sock away some sure "signed contract" money rather than risk it by taking a lower paying job that may pay off in the long run, that's actually understandable.

25. kool-aide

kool-aide Member+

Feb 1, 2002
    a van by the river
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Andy, I agree completely. Which is why I laugh out loud at some posters In.The.Thread.That.Shall.Remain.Nameless when they are cavalier about forgoing ~$1mil. Professional players play soccer to earn a paycheck.